..Worst QB draft... of recent memory ~ ~ ~

kelly

it's such a whiny excuse, the man made his living on playing through everything.  his arm may not have been 100%(whose is that late in  season?) but it was good enough to win w/ against that creampuff sched.

the bottom line is this- did he play? he gets evaluated on how he played.  mark was hurt late in 2011, do you give him slack for that or do you bash him for struggles?  he played and is evaluated on how he played.  The injury thing is a lame excuse, Favre looked the same in dec as he did in October.

You should stop trying to give anyone lessons, you are completely clueless.

Again, you sound clueless.  I should stop giving lessons to someone who can't help himself and doesn't have the capacity to listen.   Can't even take the time to ask why no one agrees with you.

But hey, keep up the good work, compare Favre to Sanchez.  It makes you sound smart 

The Jets did not 'reach' for Geno Smith.  They made two picks in the 1st round before they picked him, they did not trade up to get him. They needed a QB.  I am not at all a fan of Geno but his 29 starts looks better than the other guys in the draft class.  It was a good value pick to take a consensus top 2 QB in the draft with your 3rd pick overall without trading up.

yeah but it's never good value to take a worthless player in rd 2. 

there's this lingering idea that the Jets got some sort of great deal on Geno Smith. 

The entire league passed on him and the Jets passed on him twice (Sheldon and Dee). How is that value?  

He stinks. A stinky player was value considering he should have gone higher? Ok, maybe I can see that. But in the end it was not a good pick.

there's this lingering idea that the Jets got some sort of great deal on Geno Smith. 

The entire league passed on him and the Jets passed on him twice (Sheldon and Dee). How is that value?  

He stinks. A stinky player was value considering he should have gone higher? Ok, maybe I can see that. But in the end it was not a good pick.

the entire situation was mismanaged from start to finish.   

who knows if Geno ever would have amounted to anything in the NFL?   The "air-raid" to NFL transition is not an easy one to make.   

I know that he wasn't ready to take over an already lousy team as a rookie.   For all of the Geno hate, he probably did a better job than Petty would have had he been forced to start this year.   Geno wasn't ready and it showed.   The fact that he was an immature douche just makes it harder to give him a second chance.  

So you admit Mark was (might have been seen by many as) mediocre.  So stop with the bust talk already. Stop with the vehement insistence.  Very disappointing for where he was picked, yes, a bust, no.  Move on.   

mediocre at best out of the 5 spot to me is a bust. His idiotic argument isn't that he's a bust it's that he was vital to the team.   And is comparing Sanchez to Favre.  Don't like that I disagree you can say what you want, call me stupid but don't tell anyone to move on.  

Again, you sound clueless.  I should stop giving lessons to someone who can't help himself and doesn't have the capacity to listen.   Can't even take the time to ask why no one agrees with you.

But hey, keep up the good work, compare Favre to Sanchez.  It makes you sound smart 

you may want to brush up on reading comprehension, nowhere did I say Sanchez was better than Favre. 

You shouldn't speak about the intelligence of others.

who knows if Geno ever would have amounted to anything in the NFL?   The "air-raid" to NFL transition is not an easy one to make. I know that he wasn't ready to take over an already lousy team as a rookie. 

While it's fun to imagine an alternate timeline where the Jets develop Geno and his career is drastically different, there were red flags. During the season he tanked down the stretch and looked bad in the bowl game. He skipped out on the Senior Bowl (cause he was so great) and then another red flag the night of the draft when he threw a tantrum and threatened to leave NYC before night 2. 

Could this player have been better given the Aaron Rodgers treatment? Maybe. He could also just be terrible no matter what.

Alright fine. But why do you think Sanchez was better than Favre?

I did not say he was better than favre but he was better for our team than Favre/  w/ favre we tried to outscore everyone, w/ Mark we ran more and relied on the D.  the D was the strength of the team.  it was a better philosophy and in postseason Mark played excellent, favre is not known for his big game play.

I did not say he was better than favre but he was better for our team than Favre/  w/ favre we tried to outscore everyone, w/ Mark we ran more and relied on the D.  the D was the strength of the team.  it was a better philosophy and in postseason Mark played excellent, favre is not known for his big game play.

Right, that's fine. But what I still don't understand is why you think Sanchez was better than Favre.

They did get a great deal. They just didn't get a good player.

31/42 +

401 passing yards, breaks Orange Bowl record. +

6 TDs, ties BCS record. +

0 INTs +

Orange Bowl MVP +

USA Today headline: "Geno Smith dazzles home folks and Clemson in Orange Bowl" =

Looked bad?

that wasn't his final bowl. His final bowl was the pinstripe.  Geno Smith was responsible for two safeties, the second on an intentional grounding call. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recap?gameId=323640183

Jesus I forgot that they play that stupid ******* bowl game there.

Junior year Orange Bowl Geno was excellent. Senior year Pinstripe Bowl Geno was terrible. It goes along with his career how he always plays well in Miami (his hometown).  in the pinstripe he had a QBR of 18. 

after that PInstripe performance, Geno Smith (and his team) sat back and said, "You know what Geno Smith is definitely going 1 overall. Best just skip the Senior Bowl. Don't need to prove anything"

and then cold weather Jets draft him and their fans think it's a great deal. 

Junior year Orange Bowl Geno was excellent. Senior year Pinstripe Bowl Geno was terrible.

after that performance, Geno Smith sat back and said, "You know what I'm definitely going 1 overall. Best just skip the Senior Bowl. Don't need to prove anything"

frigging delusional. 

Getting a three-year starter with prototype physical tools who put up video game numbers in a major conference at #39 overall is the definition of a great deal. 

Getting a three-year starter with prototype physical tools who put up video game numbers in a major conference at #39 overall is the definition of a great deal. 

on paper sure. The warning signs were certainly there pre-draft however. Skipping the Senior Bowl being one of them.

Junior year Orange Bowl Geno was excellent. Senior year Pinstripe Bowl Geno was terrible. It goes along with his career how he always plays well in Miami (his hometown).  in the pinstripe he had a QBR of 18. 

after that PInstripe performance, Geno Smith (and his team) sat back and said, "You know what Geno Smith is definitely going 1 overall. Best just skip the Senior Bowl. Don't need to prove anything"

Or you're just misconceptualizing what a deal is. We're living in an age where B to C quarterbacks go in the first round now, it's just what happens; Wheeden, Ponder...etc. There are a few reasons behind this but IMO I think the biggest is because of the formal pay scale, because teams aren't as financially bound to a bust as they used to be. Geno graded out somewhere around a low B/high C when all was said and done, in hindsight probably because the rumors about him being a douchebag at the time had some merit. Ten years ago he probably goes a little later, but by today's standards it's worth using a 2nd on a QB if the guy grades out anywhere around there. The position is a bigger need than at any time in the history of the game, if you don't have a quarterback and you're in a position to take the best one available in a slot that isn't too crazy of a reach, you have to take the chance. You just can't commit to him for 3 ******* years like we did if it's blatantly obvious that he sucks in year 1.

on paper sure. The warning signs were certainly there pre-draft however. Skipping the Senior Bowl being one of them.

Even with the red flags, I still take a QB with that profile at 39 every time. Like basically everything Idzik did here, the process made sense but the player turned out to be crap.

i understand the need but the player carried no value. There fore it was a bad pick.

It's ok to keep taking QB picks every year until one pans out. In fact I hope they do it.

But let's not sugarcoat the Geno Smith pick though. It was a bad pick.  there was a reason why the entire league passed on him. They didn't get some hot deal. They got leftovers. 

It's like buying a lemon at a discount, and then saying the car is junk but I got a good deal. No you got a lemon.  Even if they used a 7th rounder on Geno it was a bad use of a draft pick. 

no kidding...my point here is, we may just have to live with him a few games. 

I can live with it if he was the backup plan, you expect a drop off. Pretty rare that any team has a backup that can do more than split games until starter comes back

I can live with it if he was the backup plan, you expect a drop off. Pretty rare that any team has a backup that can do more than split games until starter comes back

Yep.  The issue had been whether the coaching staff would keep Geno in there once Fitz was healthy.  This fear wasn't reality, however, it was just a bunch of Jets fans saying the coaching staff should  be doing that.  Glad the coaches don't listen to fans.

you may want to brush up on reading comprehension, nowhere did I say Sanchez was better than Favre. 

You shouldn't speak about the intelligence of others.

However it appears you have said and continue to say that Mark Buttfumble is better than both a tree stump and a pile of dog turds.

Which pretty much disqualifies you on any issues involving human intelligence

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Yep.  The issue had been whether the coaching staff would keep Geno in there once Fitz was healthy.  This fear wasn't reality, however, it was just a bunch of Jets fans saying the coaching staff should  be doing that.  Glad the coaches don't listen to fans.

let us not forget that Geno was banged up too

The Jets did not 'reach' for Geno Smith.  They made two picks in the 1st round before they picked him, they did not trade up to get him. They needed a QB.  I am not at all a fan of Geno but his 29 starts looks better than the other guys in the draft class.  It was a good value pick to take a consensus top 2 QB in the draft with your 3rd pick overall without trading up.

Truth.

Even with the red flags, I still take a QB with that profile at 39 every time. Like basically everything Idzik did here, the process made sense but the player turned out to be crap.

I was against it then, and I stand by it now. There was a reason he was there still at 39 in QB starved NFL. Had they passed on him and took Glennon in the next round, the franchise would have been in far better shape. Had they taken Carr or Bridgewater the following draft, even better. I don't know how you isolate the player from the process, scouting and projection counts, for like a lot.

Archived