Jets-Giants not a rivalry?

MetsJets1962

It's not a rivalry for the obvious first of all, we only play them every 4 years.  Beyond that the fact is the Giants have us totally dominated pretty much everywhere, they have 4 SB wins since 1986, 5 appearances.  If we beat them Sunday so what?  It really doesn't play into anything larger.  Come into work Monday and brag to a Giants fan what do you think you're gonna hear?  And they'd be right.  This is a regular season game.  That's all. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis is still a possibility I hope...One thing I like is when Cal Pryor is in our Dee has been solid, and he is good to go.

Dee when he's not injured (once per haley's comet) is actually a good cover corner.

But Todd Bowles hates Dee so we're more likely to see Sheldon Richardson line up at CB

I love the clueless people saying it's not a rivalry.  The Giants owner John Mara personally spoke with the Giants before the last game in '11 and told the players how badly he wanted to beat the Jets.

But hey after the Giants put up 49 points on our defense by 4pm Sunday I'm sure those classy Giants fans won't be talking trash.

that's cool. I've been told many times I'm not a real fan. One more isn't going to hurt. 

I think it's more like you love your wife and your GF too..:) Most Fans don't want to see the other team do well.. How many Yankee fans want the Mets to do well?? I understand some people root for the team from their city but to me they aren't really a fan of either.. Could you see a Raider fan say It's nice when the 49'ers and Chargers do well?? I hate the Giants because how badly the Jets were treated back in the 60's but that's just me..

According to Bowles. What's your take on this? I mean I suppose it's a bit like when the Mets play the Yankees, albeit the games are more frequent. I mean as much as I hate the Yankees and love beating them I couldn't really call them a rival.

Not a rivalry at all.

My dad, my uncle, half my family are Giants fans.  I can't say I root for them but I certainly do not root against them nor do I have any petty jealousies over their success.

This isn't like the Islanders, blood-rivals in each other's way in the same division.  I care as much about the Giants as I do the Buccaneers.

SAR I

meh, go to a Giants game, you'll see they all wear the same names. Manning, umenyiora, Cruz, pierre paul. The youngins got beckham now. The old farts wear Bavaro. Thats pretty much it.

They're hardly a storied franchise like the steelers or something, a lot of their success was fairly recent. 

From the net:

"The Giants are, at worst, the second-greatest professional football franchise in history. They won four NFL titles before the existence of the Super Bowl. The G-Men have, since January 1987, appeared in five Super Bowl games, and New York won four of those contests."

4 Out of 5 Super Bowls is pretty nice. They also are the only team besides the Patriots to make it to 3 or more Super Bowls in the past 15 years. The only thing that differentiates them from the Steelers Cowboys and Niners is that they didn't win back to back Super Bowls and have that "dynasty" label.

I think In the NFL circles they are considered a storied franchise.

I think it's more like you love your wife and your GF too..:) Most Fans don't want to see the other team do well.. How many Yankee fans want the Mets to do well?? I understand some people root for the team from their city but to me they aren't really a fan of either.. Could you see a Raider fan say It's nice when the 49'ers and Chargers do well?? I hate the Giants because how badly the Jets were treated back in the 60's but that's just me..

I understand that line of thinking. And believe it it sucks that my friends and family have all seen their favorite football team win two super bowls and I may never see one, but I made the choice to become a Jets fan.

Like I said, I don't see a real rivalry there, so they don't bother me and I don't actively root against them. When they do well my friends and family are happy, so that's fine by me.  If that makes me a not real jet fan that's fine. 

There might be some extra juice for some of the players but unless some Rex type hypes it up it's not really a rivalry or a big deal to anyone but the fans who want bragging rights.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's just a non-conference game -- playing the Jaguars is more significant in the playoff hunt.

That said, it means more than the average game to me. Beat the Gints!

I understand that line of thinking. And believe it it sucks that my friends and family have all seen their favorite football team win two super bowls and I may never see one, but I made the choice to become a Jets fan.

Like I said, I don't see a real rivalry there, so they don't bother me and I don't actively root against them. When they do well my friends and family are happy, so that's fine by me.  If that makes me a not real jet fan that's fine. 

Everything is subjective.  I'm a die hard Yankee fan.  I really couldn't care less if the Mets won the world series or not BUT I was surrounded by many fans at work who were obnoxious and attacking the Yankees.  That's when I said F the Mets and I hope they lose.  Sports often brings out the best and worst in people.  I do have an appreciation of having seen so many Yankee championships so I often find myself happy for the fan base of another team who has had a horrible history and just won a championship.  That's a great feeling to have when you win it all.  That's why many people root for teams like the Cubs or the Browns from afar if they are in contention..   If you are around me and want to be obnoxious then I will root against your team and your happiness!!

Everything is subjective.  I'm a die hard Yankee fan.  I really couldn't care less if the Mets won the world series or not BUT I was surrounded by many fans at work who were obnoxious and attacking the Yankees.  That's when I said F the Mets and I hope they lose.  Sports often brings out the best and worst in people.  I do have an appreciation of having seen so many Yankee championships so I often find myself happy for the fan base of another team who has had a horrible history and just won a championship.  That's a great feeling to have when you win it all.  That's why many people root for teams like the Cubs or the Browns from afar if they are in contention..   If you are around me and want to be obnoxious then I will root against your team and your happiness!!

I assure you, the reason most Mets fans hate the Yankees is because Yankee fans have been obnoxious and mocking the Mets for decades.

Your right it's not what it once was when the Jets were in the AFL. Bowles pretty much has it right in what he said but personally I still hate the Giants.. One of the reasons the team was originally called the Titans was they were bigger then mere Giants..LOL

Your right it's not what it once was when the Jets were in the AFL. Bowles pretty much has it right in what he said but personally I still hate the Giants.. One of the reasons the team was originally called the Titans was they were bigger then mere Giants..LOL

I hear you. And I know a lot of hate comes from obnoxious giants fans. I'm not surrounded by them so i don't have those feelings. It's all the situation you are in

Not a rivalry at all.

My dad, my uncle, half my family are Giants fans.  I can't say I root for them but I certainly do not root against them nor do I have any petty jealousies over their success.

This isn't like the Islanders, blood-rivals in each other's way in the same division.  I care as much about the Giants as I do the Buccaneers.

SAR I

I get it.  Survival mechanism.  Put on an air of indifference as you slowly die a thousands deaths inside.  It's ok.  We're all friends here.  This is a safe place.  You want this game.  You want it badly.  It's ok to admit it.  You've been strong long enough.  

You're a football enthusiast who love tailgating.  There are worse things to be.

Heres what pisses me off... The Giant fan acts as if they have been an elite team since 1925 when in reality they SUCKED from thr 60s until Parcells came to town.  Keep in mind the Jets won the Superbowl 17 years before the Giants. They have one of the biggest drug users and convicted rapist as their "guy" .  But they talk sh*t like these things never happened.  So the giants are 1 of 32 teams, 31 I hate , some more than others.  But Giants fans are all around so I despise some of the delusional ones.  EFF LT and EFF the giants

Fair enough but Parcells came to town in the early '80's.  That's about 35 years ago now.

I don't really see much of a rivalry at all. What I do notice is a lot of Giant fans my age (mid 20's) that have a lot of animosity towards the Jets for stealing the headlines (for better or for worse) during the Rex era. The Jets have always been the center of attention in New York football, not the Giants... that rubs a lot of Giant fans that I know the wrong way.

Personally I don't have any negative feelings towards the Giants, they're a good franchise.. but they are just another team that we play twice a decade. Nothing to see here. The Patriots are the New York Jets rival (maybe the Dolphins too if you remember when they were good).

I don't really see much of a rivalry at all. What I do notice is a lot of Giant fans my age (mid 20's) that have a lot of animosity towards the Jets for stealing the headlines (for better or for worse) during the Rex era. The Jets have always been the center of attention in New York football, not the Giants... that rubs a lot of Giant fans that I know the wrong way.

Personally I don't have any negative feelings towards the Giants, they're a good franchise.. but they are just another team that we play twice a decade. Nothing to see here. The Patriots are the New York Jets rival (maybe the Dolphins too if you remember when they were good).

careful, youre gonna find out soon that youre not a real jets fan

I get it.  Survival mechanism.  Put on an air of indifference as you slowly die a thousands deaths inside.  It's ok.  We're all friends here.  This is a safe place.  You want this game.  You want it badly.  It's ok to admit it.  You've been strong long enough.  

I want this game because the Jets need to go 4-1 from here to get into the playoffs and I don't want to be forced to beat the Patriots. The Giants mean nothing to me.  They're just the NFC team that the networks put into my house on Sunday's, might as well be the Redskins or Bears for all I care.

I'm a Yankees fan.  Ask me if I care about the Mets.  It's like that.

SAR I

I want this game because the Jets need to go 4-1 from here to get into the playoffs and I don't want to be forced to beat the Patriots. The Giants mean nothing to me.  They're just the NFC team that the networks put into my house on Sunday's, might as well be the Redskins or Bears for all I care.

I'm a Yankees fan.  Ask me if I care about the Mets.  It's like that.

SAR I

I guess Victor Cruz and his 99 yard TD catch which ruined Christmas 2011 and spun the Jets into a 3 year death spiral means nothing to you either.  You are my ROCK!

I guess Victor Cruz and his 99 yard TD catch which ruined Christmas 2011 and spun the Jets into a 3 year death spiral means nothing to you either.  You are my ROCK!

It meant something to me in 2011. Because we lost a game we should have won, not because it was the Giants. 

Your imaginary assumptions remind me of the debate I once had with a diehard Devils fan who insisted I must be jealous of them because of the multiple Cups they won and I told him quite plainly that I was quite satisfied with the Rangers victory in 1994, didn't need another, and could care less about his team from New Jersey. 

SAR I

This is a poor response. Just admit you assumed wrongly and move on. 

Is it?  I thought saying you were 'born' in the 'South' Bronx was sort of lame.  Trying to imply some sort of street cred that is likely misleading is the sort of thing you do when you chat up a girl, i guess.  But it felt desperate.  That said, if you want to tell me you just moved to Germany within the last 3 years or so, I will take it back if it makes you happy.

It meant something to me in 2011. Because we lost a game we should have won, not because it was the Giants. 

Your imaginary assumptions remind me of the debate I once had with a diehard Devils fan who insisted I must be jealous of them because of the multiple Cups they won and I told him quite plainly that I was quite satisfied with the Rangers victory in 1994, didn't need another, and could care less about his team from New Jersey. 

SAR I

Right.  Well, if not Victor Cruz and emotional reasons, you should probably hate the Giants for economic ones.  PSL Gold might actually be a thing if the Giants have not been so successful.  I'm sure Woody feels differently about the Giants than you admit to...

Is it?  I thought saying you were 'born' in the 'South' Bronx was sort of lame.  Trying to imply some sort of street cred that is likely misleading is the sort of thing you do when you chat up a girl, i guess.  But it felt desperate.  That said, if you want to tell me you just moved to Germany within the last 3 years or so, I will take it back if it makes you happy.

My goodness, stop assuming sh*t and you wont be hit with the street cred. 

Archived