Has any other player missed 2 games?

Jetster

With a concussion this season? I watch a lot of football & I don't remember any player being out for 2 games after a concussion. 1 game, yes, as missing 1 game is a full 2 weeks. Missing 2 games is 3 weeks to recover? This is supposedly only his 2nd concussion of his career.

Revis doesn't need to practice to be effective, the dude already KNOWS his job. We really need him this week, I honestly believe this game sets the stage for a fantastic finish with Bowles finally turning to the younger players on defense (Catapano, Reilly & Mauldin), Enunwa back, Smith showing up last week, Bilal healthy, Pryor back, Mangold, Marshall & Decker looking healthier. 

Heres hoping Revis is feeling fresh & ready come Sunday afternoon. That's a full 14 days. With Marcus out I'm afraid Eli is gonna have a day like he had against the Saints. I'm sure Coughlin has already seen Tannyhill throw for a thousand yards & 2 TDs in the 4th quarter against us. Giants won't even try to run, they'll throw screens, flares, and move OBJ around to get the matchups they want. This is the one game other than the Pats we needed a healthy secondary. Maybe our front will surprise & the young guys will terrorize Eli.

It does not work that way. Even if symptom free, Revis would not be able to play Sunday unless he progresses through all steps. I do not think he has even made it to step 1 and he has to go through a practice unrestricted and then have the independent guy sign off. No Revis this week.

With a concussion this season? I watch a lot of football & I don't remember any player being out for 2 games after a concussion. 1 game, yes, as missing 1 game is a full 2 weeks. Missing 2 games is 3 weeks to recover? This is supposedly only his 2nd concussion of his career.

Revis doesn't need to practice to be effective, the dude already KNOWS his job. We really need him this week, I honestly believe this game sets the stage for a fantastic finish with Bowles finally turning to the younger players on defense (Catapano, Reilly & Mauldin), Enunwa back, Smith showing up last week, Bilal healthy, Pryor back, Mangold, Marshall & Decker looking healthier. 

Heres hoping Revis is feeling fresh & ready come Sunday afternoon. That's a full 14 days. With Marcus out I'm afraid Eli is gonna have a day like he had against the Saints. I'm sure Coughlin has already seen Tannyhill throw for a thousand yards & 2 TDs in the 4th quarter against us. Giants won't even try to run, they'll throw screens, flares, and move OBJ around to get the matchups they want. This is the one game other than the Pats we needed a healthy secondary. Maybe our front will surprise & the young guys will terrorize Eli.

Bryon Stork was put on IR in the preseason and was designated to return.  He missed 8 games.

Jets fans only need to think back to Chrebet to recall how significant concussions can be for a player.  His last one essentially retired him, and that was well before the NFL had its current concussion protocols, and they would let a guy run right back out onto the field.  Now granted, it is guys like Chrebet that caused the NFL to adopt those rules, to avoid the severe kind of issues he had, but the point is if there could be a serious impact on games played back when the NFL was hardly paying attention to it, they will have no hesitation to a hold a player out for as many games as they think necessary based on the new rules.  It may kind of suck at times as a fan, or even for the player himself, but of all the things I trash the NFL for, that's one which really can't be held against them.

"in the protocol" is not just some buzz word

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/athlete-safety/concussion-protocol-keeps-nfl-players-sidelined.html

Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly hasn't played since suffering a concussion in Week 1.

"He's in the protocol."

Ron Rivera said it three times Wednesday while being pressed for an update regarding the progress of Carolina Panthers all-pro linebacker Luke Kuechly, who has missed two games since suffering a concussion in Week 1.

Rivera was hopeful Monday that Kuechly would be cleared to return after a scheduled meeting with an independent neurologist Tuesday. Yet when the unbeaten Panthers hit the practice field Wednesday, Kuechly was nowhere in sight. It's no wonder the coach was at a loss for words.

"I told you guys the other day, I'm not a doctor. I'm a football coach," Rivera said. "I'm an optimistic guy. I go through this procedure, just like he is. Where he is (in the protocol stage), I don't know."

Kuechly's case reflects how the timeline for players returning from concussions isn't what it used to be - teams themselves seemingly have less control than ever in influencing the return of players - given the major shift in the NFL landscape for dealing with head injuries, which includes clearance from an independent neurologist as well as the team's staff. That's a good thing, especially for the players - no matter how gung-ho they might be - considering the mounting evidence of long-term damage caused by head injuries.

"The system is working," Richard Ellenbogen, co-chairman of the league's head, neck and spine committee, told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday. "Everybody affiliated with it has become more conservative."

Three weeks into the season, the NFL maintains it doesn't yet have definitive data showing how long players are spending in the protocol before receiving clearance. Yet anecdotal evidence suggests they are typically sitting out longer than in previous years - perhaps longer than ever - while subject to additional layers of mandated evaluation.

Ellenbogen said more than half the players who have suffered concussions this season have not been cleared to return by the following week, and he estimated the typical time for a return is nine to 10 days. When reported concussions in the NFL dropped 36% last season, the average time to return was eight days, according to the league's figures. In 2012 and 2013, the average return was six days.

"Everybody wants it to fit in the NFL schedule, but that's not how life is," said Ellenbogen, who also is chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Washington's School of Medicine.

The pattern does seem to reflect the times. The NFL, which settled a class-action lawsuit (without acknowledging responsibility) brought on by former players alleging conditions stemming from head injuries suffered while playing football, has been essentially forced to become more proactive in the face of immense criticism. As a result, it has constantly tweaked its policies.

This season, for example, the league instituted a medical timeout to attend to a player suspected of suffering a concussion.

"The culture's changed," Ellenbogen said.

When Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown returned last weekend after missing one game after being concussed in the Sept. 13 opener, he said that while he felt symptom-free at a certain stage of his recovery, he appreciated the requirement to pass a baseline test.

"Sometimes the testing will show things that ... our symptoms don't show," he said. "I'm thankful for that, because it's a serious thing."

Archived