What does a new Ryan Fitzpatrick contract look like

bergenjets

fitz isn't "the guy" though... He's a professional and has done a good job holding down the fort but he is not the future of this team. I'm all for keeping him around since he's proved he's competent enough and we need depth but the main goal this offseason is to upgrade and every dollar is going to be important. If some team wants to throw huge money at fitz then we'll have to be creative and find a better deal somewhere else

The future can pass you by if all you do is wait for it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good thing is Big Mac's in charge.  He has shown himself to be generally a man of sound judgement.

Bowles , the rest of the coaches, & the players want Fitz back.

Fitz wants to come back to the NYJ.

i agree with the earlier poster that said a reasonable 2 year deal in the 6-7 mil per range with attainable performance incentives up to the 9-10 per range ... 1/2 of it guaranteed

Fitz is our quarterback for next year at least. He's the man for the Jets as long as he keeps playing as well as he has this year.

He should get a 2 year 10-12 mil contract from us. Groom Petty or draft a quarterback early next season.

Cut Geno!

Do both.

A lot can change between now and January, but Fitzy deserves an extension. Give him a little bit of stability. Show him and his teammates that he's our guy. In the mean time we continue to develop Petty and don't be shy about drafting another QB. Cut Geno ASAP.

give up the dream they are gonna try to bring him back baring a complete Genoesque meltdown, and he is way too smart for that 

No idea what you're talking about, which is not unusual. I've got the Jets resigning him for something in the $5-10M/year range, depending on how he finishes the year. Give up the dream? Wtf?!? 

No idea what you're talking about, which is not unusual. I've got the Jets resigning him for something in the $5-10M/year range, depending on how he finishes the year. Give up the dream? Wtf?!? 

Sorry maybe I misunderstood this point "If he falters, the team will be looking to put their resources into a new starter rather than Fitz." Absent Brees falling into their laps I see very, very few scenarios where Fitz is not starter next year.

Sorry maybe I misunderstood this point "If he falters, the team will be looking to put their resources into a new starter rather than Fitz." Absent Brees falling into their laps I see very, very few scenarios where Fitz is not starter next year.

He's coming off three great games against three poor defenses. These last three games are the money games. He comes thru, he makes that money. If he doesn't, the team is looking at Petty, a new high draft pick, or a Brees-type as their starter next year. No dream on my part that I'd be giving up. He finishes, he'll get paid, and that'll be great. If he doesn't, he doesn't. He's on the brink right now, but he hasn't done enough yet to secure the starting job next year. Or starter's pay. 

btw, only Jets fans would preclaim, without any sense of the loltastic, that a guy who may have just set their franchise TD passing record......must be cut if he wants more then the Veteran minimum.

Meanwhile, we have fans who to this moment want to start and lock up Geno Smith long term, whatever it takes, because of his potential.

Some days I think we Jets Fans get exactly what we deserve.

btw, only Jets fans would preclaim, without any sense of the loltastic, that a guy who may have just set their franchise TD passing record......must be cut if he wants more then the Veteran minimum.

Meanwhile, we have fans who to this moment want to start and lock up Geno Smith long term, whatever it takes, because of his potential.

Some days I think we Jets Fans get exactly what we deserve.

Who? Personal friends of yours? Haven't seen anything like that posted here. 

He's coming off three great games against three poor defenses. These last three games are the money games. He comes thru, he makes that money. If he doesn't, the team is looking at Petty, a new high draft pick, or a Brees-type as their starter next year. No dream on my part that I'd be giving up. He finishes, he'll get paid, and that'll be great. If he doesn't, he doesn't. He's on the brink right now, but he hasn't done enough yet to secure the starting job next year. Or starter's pay. 

I see what you are saying but I disagree in the sense that he is on the brink. I think he's a revelation and we might see a deal before the season ends (i.e. before the "money games" are even played). But yes the dollar amount could change based on a playoff run if there is no mid-season deal; we can agree there for sure.

I see what you are saying but I disagree in the sense that he is on the brink. I think he's a revelation and we might see a deal before the season ends (i.e. before the "money games" are even played). But yes the dollar amount could change based on a playoff run if there is no mid-season deal; we can agree there for sure.

there's no way they offer fitz a deal mid-season after all the drawn out negotiations they've had with mo. the jets haven't signed one of their own free agents in a long time, and mo is probably the best player on the team right now. you gotta take care of your core guys first, fitz hasn't even finished a full season here yet. plus after buffalo gave fitz that fat contract after he had that hot start in 2011 he went and diarrhea sh*t the bed. they regretted that deal almost immediately

there's no way they offer fitz a deal mid-season after all the drawn out negotiations they've had with mo. the jets haven't signed one of their own free agents in a long time, and mo is probably the best player on the team right now. you gotta take care of your core guys first, fitz hasn't even finished a full season here yet. plus after buffalo gave fitz that fat contract after he had that hot start in 2011 he went and diarrhea sh*t the bed. they regretted that deal almost immediately

You could definitely be right. But he's getting a deal at some point unless he is paralyzed before end of season.

Id imagine he would be looking at a two year deal between $5.5 and $7 million per season. Jets would be the team to pay the most.

Established starters not on their rookie contracts are all making well above 10 mill per and closer to 20 mill per. Fitz would deserve 15 mill per based on what guys like Tanhill, Foles, and Alex Smith are making.

Team going nowhere without fitz. Pay him. Of course I don't mean 20 mill a year but 7 mill a year completely reasonable. Paging Jason to do an article on this...

ps if we lose fitz I would rather start anyone with last name petty-bryce, Tom, Richard-over Geno. 

Established starters not on their rookie contracts are all making well above 10 mill per and closer to 20 mill per. Fitz would deserve 15 mill per based on what guys like Tanhill, Foles, and Alex Smith are making.

let's hope not. One thing those guys have is they signed those deals when they were much younger. But you are right that in qb desperate league SOMEONE will pony up. Get a deal done before season ends. Reward the guy and send a message. Then deal Geno for a 7th if anyone is dumb enough to bite

Team going nowhere without fitz. Pay him. Of course I don't mean 20 mill a year but 7 mill a year completely reasonable. Paging Jason to do an article on this...

ps if we lose fitz I would rather start anyone with last name petty-bryce, Tom, Richard-over Geno. 

We are not losing Fitz to anything other than injury.   He started the year as a broken down back up to Geno Freaking Smith.  Turned out to be the perfect fit for him and he is playing at the best level he ever has.  Just don't see him going anyplace.  Sorta like the old car you had that still gets you from point A to point B but has no real resale value.  Honestly he has earned a pay bump but to think there will be a bidding war for him just seems silly.  Yet, no more silly than the Jets letting him go.  Maybe 6-8 considering the cap is going up? 

Fitz is getting 10-15 million dollars minimum, lol at the people thinking we'd get him for less.  

That is simply what a mid tier qb in the league commands, and don't think for a moment any one of those desperate qb needy teams wouldn't pay him in a heartbeat.  The issue will be guaranteed money bc he has some risk associated with his play and the possibility that he regresses to the mean. 

Yep.  Broncos will likely want to lock up Osweiler regardless of whether Peyton can come back or not.  And if they don't I don't particularly imagine them going after Fitzpatrick

I could see it. The Broncos have a win now roster. Fitzpatrick probably gives them the best chance to do that of all the available options, including Peyton. Osweiller's play is shrinking with greater sample size as he's become check-down Charlie. Don't know if they can afford banking on his development. Denver can also offer Fitzy comparable weapons to what he has now. Now whether Fitzy wants to uproot his family again is another question. 

It could depend on what Fitz wants, no?  Obviously Mo is asking for major coin, which is why the negotiation is so drawn out.  Fitz might not be looking for a mega, last time to cash in type of deal.  It may be modest or incentive heavy.  You never know.

And didnt the Jets sign Harris who was a FA this offseason? 

Agreed though.  I'd take care of your core guy first and the best player on the team but if their intention is to franchise Mo (which I'm assuming is the plan), then a deal for Fitz could come before the tag announcement. 

I could see it. The Broncos have a win now roster. Fitzpatrick probably gives them the best chance to do that of all the available options, including Peyton. Osweiller's play is shrinking with greater sample size as he's become check-down Charlie. Don't know if they can afford banking on his development. Denver can also offer Fitzy comparable weapons to what he has now. Now whether Fitzy wants to uproot his family again is another question. 

Denver needs to invest heavily in an OLine because that's where all of their problems stem from.  Peyton got hit more this season, than he has collectively in his entire career and now they've got a baby trying to make it happen with split second to make a decision with zero running game to speak of.  It's a bad combo in Kubiak's offense. 

It would require both Osweiler walking in free agency AND Peyton retiring for that to happen though.  They used a 2nd rounder on Osweiler (granted, that was forever ago) and have been slowly developing him.  Don't see them just letting him walk, even if he's been mostly underwhelming.

It would require both Osweiler walking in free agency AND Peyton retiring for that to happen though.  They used a 2nd rounder on Osweiler (granted, that was forever ago) and have been slowly developing him.  Don't see them just letting him walk, even if he's been mostly underwhelming.

Letting Osweiler walk wouldn't be a major surprise. It was an investment of a 2nd round pick 4 years ago. If Peyton doesn't want to retire than Denver will be forced to cut him. They're not carrying current Peyton at $21.5M ($19M savings). 

No. They can't. There is no going back to Geno.

That is what I am saying.  Fitz is holding a power position.

Why would any of those teams make a run at Fitz? Why would Fitz at this stage of his career want to go get the sh*t beat out of him St. Louis (a team that might move? Fitz has 5 kids I believe), Browns? (Who the f*ck chooses to move to Cleveland?), San Fran? ( might be the worst team in football), Philly? Absolutely does not fit what Chip Kelly likes to do (I actually see Chip trying to ressurect Kap if Chips still there.) Houston traded him, he's not going back after being sent packing for Hoyer & Mallett.

Sorry, Jets are in the drivers seat. They won't have to OVER PAY.

I agree that the Jets are likely in the driver's seat (supporting cast is better) and lets assume he wants to stay in Hempstead with his five kids.  Plus, I would not undersell Stl or Philly.  The Rams have a decent D and Gurley so there are pieces there.  And while Fitz is not a prototypical read option QB, he is a better passer and runner than Bradford.  The Eagles would be a lot better with him than Bradford.  I do not know if Chip is on the hot seat, but waiting for Kap to get his $hit together might not be feasible.

I would not count on these factors to assume he is going to take a below market deal just to stay as QB of the NYJ.  He is going to command more than the 3+ he is earning this year.  With a weak draft a QB, a team could make a run at Fitz and throw him decent money. 

Id imagine he would be looking at a two year deal between $5.5 and $7 million per season. Jets would be the team to pay the most.

agreed. Luckily the teams with the worst qb situations shouldn't be driving up Fitz's market value:

Texans - drafting a qb plus FO would be admitting they made a huge mistake 

Skins - stick with cousins if they make playoffs

Browns - stick with Manziel

Phins - too much $ tied up in tannehill

Saints - will draft a qb if they trade or cut Brees

49ers - will draft a qb

titans - stick with Mariota 1 more season

Cowboys - too much $ in Romo

Eagles - don't know what they'll do but I doubt Fitz is what they want

I think the Rams are our only competition for Fitz and they might decide to draft a qb or try out Kaepernick after he gets cut.

That is what I am saying.  Fitz is holding a power position.

I agree that the Jets are likely in the driver's seat (supporting cast is better) and lets assume he wants to stay in Hempstead with his five kids.  Plus, I would not undersell Stl or Philly.  The Rams have a decent D and Gurley so there are pieces there.  And while Fitz is not a prototypical read option QB, he is a better passer and runner than Bradford.  The Eagles would be a lot better with him than Bradford.  I do not know if Chip is on the hot seat, but waiting for Kap to get his $hit together might not be feasible.

I would not count on these factors to assume he is going to take a below market deal just to stay as QB of the NYJ.  He is going to command more than the 3+ he is earning this year.  With a weak draft a QB, a team could make a run at Fitz and throw him decent money. 

yup that's why you lock him up now and don't wait for the "money games" or whatever you want to call the last three games to be played. Do it now while you have exclusive negotiating rights.

Letting Osweiler walk wouldn't be a major surprise. It was an investment of a 2nd round pick 4 years ago. If Peyton doesn't want to retire than Denver will be forced to cut him. They're not carrying current Peyton at $21.5M ($19M savings). 

Peyton is done in Denver.  They're locking up Osweiler if he does even semi decent

Peyton is done in Denver.  They're locking up Osweiler if he does even semi decent

Maybe, maybe not. Like I said it's a win now team and gambling that Osweiller will develop is a gamble. But they've seen him more than anyone in practices and such. We'll see just how much they think of him. 

Maybe, maybe not. Like I said it's a win now team and gambling that Osweiller will develop is a gamble. But they've seen him more than anyone in practices and such. We'll see just how much they think of him. 

It may not be that much of a gamble. 

averaging his numbers out right now if he played an entire 16 week season his numbers would be 3,648 16TD's 9INT's. Thats about mid pack, which is good enough when you have a defense that can help. 

Brock "Rockweiler" could be a young upcoming star. 

It may not be that much of a gamble. 

averaging his numbers out right now if he played an entire 16 week season his numbers would be 3,648 16TD's 9INT's. Thats about mid pack, which is good enough when you have a defense that can help. 

Brock "Rockweiler" could be a young upcoming star. 

He could. He could also not getting over his penchant for holding onto the ball too long or inability to complete drives. It's now 23 straight drives for Denver without a touchdown. We'll see. It's far from a lock that they'll keep him, far from a lock that they'll let him walk. 

He could. He could also not getting over his penchant for holding onto the ball too long or inability to complete drives. It's now 23 straight drives for Denver without a touchdown. We'll see. It's far from a lock that they'll keep him, far from a lock that they'll let him walk. 

Any QB that's "middle of the pack" will come with their share of problems. Actually, any QB not in the top 5 will pretty much come with their share of problems. 

Identifying them yet seeing the numbers kinda shows you what he can do in spite of the obvious. 

If Denver builds a 53 man roster and not go the "Colts" route of putting everything on the QB then his problems can be managed with scheme, talent and coaching. 

Archived