And just like that, Rex Ryan is officially eliminated from playoff contention.

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, if you head over to Two Bills Drive I'd say the majority of fans have completely turned on Rex.

I'm not sure that the fans should be doing even that. 

You can't hire a new HC and not give him 3 years to set his team right. It is reality sometimes..... you take a step back to go forward. 

The truth is Rex ran his big mouth as usual. Insulting the previous HC and the DC (Schwartz) talking about how the Bills underachieved last year; bragging they were going to the playoffs and that a number 4 rated defense should be Number 1!!!!! Rex just can't help himself and this is why fans inevitably turn on him.

If Rex just stayed "humble and hungry" and surrounded himself with people who were great, he could be the type of HC who would be looked to in order to change a franchise around.

Instead he winds up being a joke.

I said it before it really is sad..... 

I'm not sure that the fans should be doing even that. 

You can't hire a new HC and not give him 3 years to set his team right. It is reality sometimes..... you take a step back to go forward. 

The truth is Rex ran his big mouth as usual. Insulting the previous HC and the DC (Schwartz) talking about how the Bills underachieved last year; bragging they were going to the playoffs and that a number 4 rated defense should be Number 1!!!!! Rex just can't help himself and this is why fans inevitably turn on him.

If Rex just stayed "humble and hungry" and surrounded himself with people who were great, he could be the type of HC who would be looked to in order to change a franchise around.

Instead he winds up being a joke.

I said it before it really is sad..... 

"You can't hire a new HC and not give him 3 years to set his team right. It is reality sometimes..... you take a step back to go forward."

I often thought about this too Charlie but look at where the Jets are with their first year coach and GM

We lost 4 of our last 5 games.  Pretty difficult to remain optimistic at this point.

It started when he physically challenged Jace Amaro before the season even began, then continued in the run up to the first Pats game.  Rex is who he is; I don't think he is capable of changing.  Bad for the Bills but generally good for his opponents... 

Sammy Watkins now piling on: 

“We need to forget about anybody’s feelings,” Watkins said. “We need to call people out. If I’m doing something wrong, call me out. If the line is doing something wrong or messing up, call them out. If the defense is doing something wrong, the defensive line, the secondary, call it out. Because at the end of the day, we’re doing it to win, not to get on somebody and make them feel bad. We’re grown men. This is our job. We get paid millions and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Forget the money. You’ve got to go out there each week and play for the guy next to you.

“Once we get to that point and realize that you could get fired the next day – and make it known. Hey, this is your job. If you’re not going to do your job, cut him. It needs to be a business. And I think once we get to that, we need some nasty coaches. If they’re not doing their job, get them out of here. If I’m not doing my job, step to me and get me out of here.”

"You can't hire a new HC and not give him 3 years to set his team right. It is reality sometimes..... you take a step back to go forward."

I often thought about this too Charlie but look at where the Jets are with their first year coach and GM

That is a good point. A lot of it has to do with the state of the team being taken over. You would expect 3 years for taking over the Titans, but the Bills were really talented so you should expect results in the 1st year. The Jets were not really talented after the 2014 season, so the job that Mac and Bowles has done thus far is quite good.

That is a good point. A lot of it has to do with the state of the team being taken over. You would expect 3 years for taking over the Titans, but the Bills were really talented so you should expect results in the 1st year. The Jets were not really talented after the 2014 season, so the job that Mac and Bowles has done thus far is quite good.

^tacit endorsement of Eric Mangini

I agree....

But I warned you about Rex when you were battling the people on this board. 

I said that Rex might, and I do mean might be ok, so long as the Bills organization put everything around him to make him successful. And I do mean everything.  That includes proper assistants and training staff and even PR folks.  IMO Rex left alone will not get it right over time.

If people in Buffalo (my friends by the way) thought Rex was going to do this on his own then you were and are going to be greatly disappointed.  Better to stick with Marrone, or promote Schwartz or hire Hue Jackson. 

If the Bills were counting on treating Rex like any other HC than it really as a stupid hire.. 

And as I said to you on many occasions the Bills need to find someone who could fill the unseen shoes of Marv  Levy and they just haven't done it with Rex.

I agree....

I said that Rex might, and I do mean might be ok, so long as the Bills organization put everything around him to make him successful. And I do mean everything.  That includes proper assistants and training staff and even PR folks.  IMO Rex left alone will not get it right over time.

If people in Buffalo (my friends by the way) thought Rex was going to do this on his own then you were and are going to be greatly disappointed.  Better to stick with Marrone, or promote Schwartz or hire Hue Jackson. 

If the Bills were counting on treating Rex like any other HC than it really as a stupid hire.. 

And as I said to you on many occasions the Bills need to find someone who could fill the unseen shoes of Marv  Levy and they just haven't done it with Rex.

Old Marv like BB had a losing record as a HC until he got Jim Kelly a HOF QB.. Amazing how that works..LOL

Sammy Watkins now piling on: 

Sammy is a class act.  Make no mistake,  Rex and Sammy are good friends.  They go to events like the Clemson football game (in Rochester), etc. together.  Sammy is the type of guy that a coach can befriend.  He's a hard worker and one of  the few who stayed after practice to practice some more with Tyrod and others.

Sammy is a class act.  Make no mistake,  Rex and Sammy are good friends.  They go to events like the Clemson football game (in Rochester), etc. together.  Sammy is the type of guy that a coach can befriend.  He's a hard worker and one of  the few who stayed after practice to practice some more with Tyrod and others.

He just outright said that the coaching staff is a bunch of poofs.

I agree....

You're right Charlie.  Many of you did warn me about Rex.  However,  I saw so much controversy between Rex and Idzik,  it made me think that their relationship was at the crux of the problem.  I know Whaley is pretty tough but he and Rex seem to get along okay.However,  there have been some rumblings that this may not be true.   

Now that I've had a season to sit back and observe,  I can see many of the issues with Rex.  For one,  I think his behavior on the sidelines is a big distraction. He needs to calm down.  Also, he pulls or changes guys when they are in the huddle quite often.  I heard him ask  players (before a play) do you want to go with this scheme or that one.  A coach's job is to call the plays and just let the players do their job. He interrupts a coach and player (ie Roman and Taylor) when they are discussing the next play. Rex also needs to stop promising and just deliver.  

Lol, Eric Mangini a legend only in Tom Shane's mind. 

LOL Mangini went 4-12 in 2007 and they added Farve in 2008 so they did better at 9-7.. Problem was the QB they got rid of won the East with the Fins. Brady went down in the 1st quarter game one and they lost to the Pats with Cassell in his first season starting and needed over time to beat him at Foxboro.. Best thing Mangini did was his cameo on the Sopranos ..

Why won't you admit that Rex is a poof? 

Quite honesty,  I just don't have it in me.  I have a difficult time making insulting remarks about others.  Although,  I will admit,  I came very close last week.  I got into a political argument with someone on the Buffalo News Blog.  He was pretty obnoxious.  I was tempted but instead,  I wished him  Merry Christmas and moved on.  Not worth the energy

Quite honesty,  I just don't have it in me.  I have a difficult time making insulting remarks about others.  Although,  I will admit,  I came very close last week.  I got into a political argument with someone on the Buffalo News Blog.  He was pretty obnoxious.  I was tempted but instead,  I wished him  Merry Christmas and moved on.  Not worth the energy

Damn, you'd never make it through Introductory Trolling 101.

Rex was the right person for the job when he took over for Mangini. The team needed an attitude adjustment on defense, instead of playing Sutton's "Cover who" all the time.

That Buffalo defense did not need fixing. They have a bad ass DL, probably one of the best of in the NFL and he has them playing coverage at times. It is one thing when the guys are named Devito, Pouha, etc but when you have guys like Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Jerry Hughes and Marcel Dareus all you have to do is throw a piece of meat out there and tell them to go get it.

Bad job on Rex's part

the only type of player a coach should befriend is a former player 

ouch! I would hate to think that the guy isnt legitimately try to win a SB.  He has more to learn as a HC but I dont think that he was building a team to protect his next job.

If Rex Ryan legitimately wanted to win a Super Bowl he would have had the team prepared in back-to-back AFC Championship Games, contests in which his precious defense folded like a house of cards in the wind.

SAR I

Rex ryan is rob ryan except he got to coach hall of famers in baltimore which enhanced his career.  Hes a fraud and is actually a terrible defensive coach.

anyone who coached that ravens d became a head coach: pagank. Nolan, lewis etc.

rex will be in the booth on monday night w/ gruden and tirico soon enough.

so are you suggesting that Doug Marrone is the greatest HC ever?

No what I said was a fact Levy had a losing record until he got a HOF QB.. Doug Marrone had Brandon Marshall's favorite QB Kyle Orton however Marrone had a losing record for his 2 years as Bills HC  15-17.. Lou Saban won back to back AFL championships with the Bills..

Rex ryan is rob ryan except he got to coach hall of famers in baltimore which enhanced his career.  Hes a fraud and is actually a terrible defensive coach.

anyone who coached that ravens d became a head coach: pagank. Nolan, lewis etc.

rex will be in the booth on monday night w/ gruden and tirico soon enough.

What was the Jets D ranked in 2009 again?? :wacko:

No what I said was a fact Levy had a losing record until he got a HOF QB.. Doug Marrone had Brandon Marshall's favorite QB Kyle Orton however Marrone had a losing record for his 2 years as Bills HC  15-17.. Lou Saban won back to back AFL championships with the Bills..

Tryod Taylor has been better than Orton was last year. in pretty much every way measurable, so explain to me how after adding one of the leagues best backs, there is any defense of Rex's coaching abilities at all? He has good QB play, the problem is Rex, undisciplined, being out schemed every week. It's amazing that anyone still would try to defend him after how badly he has been exposed this year. He is a bad HC, and apparently not even a defensive mastermind.  But right on cue, you come in to defend him.

Tryod Taylor has been better than Orton was last year. in pretty much every way measurable, so explain to me how after adding one of the leagues best backs, there is any defense of Rex's coaching abilities at all? He has good QB play, the problem is Rex, undisciplined, being out schemed every week. It's amazing that anyone still would try to defend him after how badly he has been exposed this year. He is a bad HC, and apparently not even a defensive mastermind.  But right on cue, you come in to defend him.

I wasn't defending Rex who is not a good HC I was simply stating facts as they exist.. Even the great BB in his first year with the Pats went 5-11 with a team that Pete Carroll never had a losing season with.. I'm happy as hell with Bowles and Mac and the future of this Jet team, I have let the past failures go.. I will feel bad if we miss the playoffs due to the Eagle game the Texan game and oh yes the Bills beating the Jets at Met life.. But if wah wah I hate Rex floats your boat Bon Voyage Captain..:rolleyes:

Archived