GET LOUD PLEDGE

kevinc855

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inspirational speech.  Tell the losers that ask you to sit, "Hell no, you should be standing up!"  Home fans....   smh.

Get on a plane, come to the game, lead your section in standing up all game.

If not, keep your thoughts on fan support to yourself.  We're plenty loud.

SAR I

Because you're a tool.

I don't know how SAR is putting up with these insults but it is time mods did something about it. SAR is an eccentric personality but what he is saying about PSL's or fan support  or tailgates don't warrant being insulted openly like this. 

SAR I

My father (who attended many games at Shea too), brothers, and I have all tried it at different games at the Meadowlands.  95% of the time, we got the eyeroll from STHs and others nearby. We don't bother anymore. I've been to Arrowhead too.   TOn the road only...

SAR I

My father (who attended many games at Shea too), brothers, and I have all tried it at different games at the Meadowlands.  95% of the time, we got the eyeroll from STHs and others nearby. We don't bother anymore. I've been to Arrowhead too.   98 and opening day 2005.  That place is loud.  You all suck.  On the road only...

I don't know how SAR is putting up with these insults but it is time mods did something about it. SAR is an eccentric personality but what he is saying about PSL's or fan support  or tailgates don't warrant being insulted openly like this. 

Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

SAR I

the mods suck

not a psl holder but make a couple games a year and some times met life can be quiet. Well we were losing so the 300 crowd was stuffing hot dogs down instead of being loud

It's because there will be 20,000 empty seats at kickoff...tailgate until 12:57, than expect to be in your seats even close to kickoff. It's because the club seats, especially coaches club will be half full. It's because if something bad happens early, instead of continuing to make noise, everyone gets the SOJ syndrome and waits for the next bad thing to happen. Because there will be 10,000 pats fans filling seats that are usually empty  

Since the Jets moved out of Shea, there have been a handful of games where our crowd was an advantage. 98 playoff vs Jacksonville, game vs Packers that put us in Playoffs, Colts playoff game, and the Rex opener versus Pats. I don't think there has been a game in Met life that has really been an advantage.  They even built the stadium with seats designed to mask no shows on tv!

The Jets should be in a 65,000 seat stadium, no bigger. The same reason that Citifield is smaller than Yankee Stadium...the Mets have a smaller fan base than the Yankees. 

If this fan base will get excited, it will be this game. I hope we show up. 

i was so stiff from the Cowboys game a few years ago that I couldn't move my neck and shoulders for a week and had to see a masseuse. Don't tell me that the 300 section doesn't show up. I've been going for 24 years. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

In 2015, the best year the Mets have had in recent memory, they averaged 31,725 per game (75.9% of capacity)
The Yankees averaged 39,922 per game (80.4% of capacity), which was their lowest average since the new stadium opened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/sports/baseball/mets-close-gap-with-yankees-in-tv-viewership.html?_r=0

Again, in a great year for the Mets, closing the gap is what they could accomplish. From 2007 on the difference was very consistent.  It doesn't mean Mets fans are less passionate than Yankees fans...there are simply less of them.  It's the same with Jets/Giants, there are a smaller number of Jets fans to fill seats.

ratings.png

I said when the Mets are winning.  Not half a year whatever.  When all things are equal the Mets outdraw the Yankees.  Give the Mets a few years of winning and they will outdraw the Yankees.  Always  been that way.  

All of which is just a side note to your ridiculous contention that Met Life has too many seats for the Jets

This is true.

The place will not be full until at least 5 minutes into the game.  Everyone should be in their seats and ready to go by the introductions.

I never enter last minute.  There is usually a long line at the gate and it takes you an extra 15 minutes to get to your seat.

What I have been doing recently is:

A).  Get to the stadium early, beat the traffic and have one or two obligatory stiff cocktails in the parking lot.  It's always "drink time" somewhere.

B).  Enter the gate around 11:30.  There is no line and the concourses are pretty empty.  You can maneuver around like a human.

C).  Eat something inside the stadium.  Yeah, pay the nut but WTF it's only 8 times a year.

D).  Mosey on down to the first or second row in 123 by the tunnel by 12:00, watch the warmups up close like batting practice and sometimes catch some celebs on the sideline.

E).  Get up to my seats in 340 by 12:45, joining the blue collar burpers and farters and in position to boo the opposing team when they enter the field. 

This regimen will not work for everyone but for me I get a good taste of everything Game Day offers and I am in my seat ready to go before the actual game starts.

I love this post.  Sounds wonderful and I also love how you note it won't work for everyone.  In my 20s and into my early to mid 30s, we'd tailgate insanely.  Get there at like 8:30, grill and smoke a ton of food, drink a ton of beer, then hang around for a post game tailgate.  Last 5 years or so it's gotten progressively more subdued.  This year I've actually done a bunch of games where I leave my house after noon.  I actually left at 12:10pm last game and was in a spot by 12:38.  In my seats JUST in time for kickoff.

Whether you're a huge tailgater, a quick striker, or something in between - I love it all.  Whatever works.  Jets gamedays are fookin' awesome.  And this one will be great.  Enjoy!!

I lived in NH for 14 years, went to every Jets/Patriots game in Foxboro in enemy colors, drove down 4x a year 10 hours round trip as a season ticket holder that entire time.  I've been to road games in Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City, as well as playoff games in Indianapolis, San Diego, and New England.  I've been a season ticket holder since 2001, been attending games since 1980, haven't missed a preseason or regular season game, ever, I'm about as hardcore as they come.

You don't know a damned thing about me but judge me a 'tool' because of what?  Because I have money and can afford PSL's?  Because your HDTV has bad speakers?  Your shtick is tired chief, not mine.  Calling out PSL owners because they make a decent salary and choose to spend it on the Jets, acting like we're second-class fans because we don't drink warm beer in ripped flannel shirts, the very definition of lame.

SAR I

get over yourself.

i was so stiff from the Cowboys game a few years ago that I couldn't move my neck and shoulders for a week and had to see a masseuse. Don't tell me that the 300 section doesn't show up. I've been going for 24 years. 

The people who actually don't physically attend the games tell the people who actually show up to "show up".

Oh, the ironing.

SAR I

I said when the Mets are winning.  Not half a year whatever.  When all things are equal the Mets outdraw the Yankees.  Give the Mets a few years of winning and they will outdraw the Yankees.  Always  been that way.  

All of which is just a side note to your ridiculous contention that Met Life has too many seats for the Jets

You are so sure of yourself, I took a look back from 1980-2010 (after presents there isn't a lot to do).

• From 1980 - 1983, they Yankees won more games and outdrew the Mets
  • From 1984 - 1991, the Mets indeed won more games and outdrew the Yankees
  • In 1992, the Yankees won more games but the Mets outdrew them by an average of 300 people a game
  • From 1993 - 2009, the Yankees outdrew the Mets regardless of record
  • In the Subway Series year of 2000, the Yankees outdrew the Mets by 450,000 people, or about 5500 per game..despite the fact the Mets won more games than the Yankees in the regular season
  • In 2006 and 2008, the Yankees and Mets won the same number of games, in 2006 the Yankees drew 650,000 more people, 2008 250,000 people
  • In summary, in the 3 years where "all things are equal" and the teams had virtually identical records (2000, 2006, 2008), the Yankees outdrew the Mets by over 1.2 million fans

Finally, my contention that the Jets stadium is too large would be supported by the fact that even the Jets, when planning their own stadium, were planning to build a smaller stadium (75,000 seats, 7,500 less than the current stadium)...the Giants wanted the larger stadium.  The Redskins and the Dolphins have both made their stadiums smaller, for a number of good reasons...from the Washington Post:

“The move to smaller stadiums is a trend in the NFL,” said Marc Ganis, the president of Chicago-based consulting firm SportsCorp. “There’s a lot more competition sitting in your living room now, so people expect the view you’ll have in the stadium will be far better than what they expected when the Redskins’ stadium was first designed. . . .

“[A smaller stadium] has a corollary effect of providing the same facilities for a smaller number of people: bathrooms, concessions, parking. It has a benefit, for some people at least, of enhancing their day-of-game experience.”

In the 90's the Redskins had over 90,000 people on their waiting list.  I think if the Jets could do it over again, they would have pushed harder for a smaller stadium.

You are so sure of yourself, I took a look back from 1980-2010 (after presents there isn't a lot to do).

• In 1992, the Yankees won more games but the Mets outdrew them by an average of 300 people a game
  • In the Subway Series year of 2000, the Yankees outdrew the Mets by 450,000 people, or about 5500 per game..despite the fact the Mets won more games than the Yankees in the regular season
  • In 2006 and 2008, the Yankees and Mets won the same number of games, in 2006 the Yankees drew 650,000 more people, 2008 250,000 people
  • In summary, in the 3 years where "all things are equal" and the teams had virtually identical records (2000, 2006, 2008), the Yankees outdrew the Mets by over 1.2 million fans

Finally, my contention that the Jets stadium is too large would be supported by the fact that even the Jets, when planning their own stadium, were planning to build a smaller stadium (75,000 seats, 7,500 less than the current stadium)...the Giants wanted the larger stadium.  The Redskins and the Dolphins have both made their stadiums smaller, for a number of good reasons...from the Washington Post:

“The move to smaller stadiums is a trend in the NFL,” said Marc Ganis, the president of Chicago-based consulting firm SportsCorp. “There’s a lot more competition sitting in your living room now, so people expect the view you’ll have in the stadium will be far better than what they expected when the Redskins’ stadium was first designed. . . .

“[A smaller stadium] has a corollary effect of providing the same facilities for a smaller number of people: bathrooms, concessions, parking. It has a benefit, for some people at least, of enhancing their day-of-game experience.”

In the 90's the Redskins had over 90,000 people on their waiting list.  I think if the Jets could do it over again, they would have pushed harder for a smaller stadium.

Heinz.Field.original.14660.jpg

Heinz Field - Pittsburgh, PA

Here is Heinz Field.  They draw an average of 64,300 fans per Steelers game.   You will note that the views are no better than MetLife stadium, the upper deck and mezzanine levels are just as high off the ground and pushed just as far back, the only difference is that they have no corners and a completely open end zone. 

I guarantee you that we make more "noise" than they do as we average 78,200 fans per game and we have a closed design to trap sound in. Pittsburgh has a population of 306,000 and New York Metro 19.8 million.  To suggest we should have a stadium the size of Pittsburgh and contend that  with 14,000 fewer fans and a completely open stadium are louder than we are is sheer madness.  You are arguing for an open stadium with one open endzone which makes no sense in the context of your argument about passion and loudness. 

SAR I

The Yankees outdrew the Mets on paper in those early years.  Heres my lesson for you.  In the earlier years the National League and American League calculated attendance figures differently.  If you dont know the American League counted attendance as the number of tickets sold.  The National League by people who showed up to a game.  Every game has more tickets sold than attended.  So when the Mets were drawing 3.5 mil they actually were drawing somewhere over 4 million.  Sorry

I don't give a shlt about trends in football or what the Jets were thinking of doing.  The fact is they didn't go smaller.  They were the ones who wanted to add 8,000 or so tickets to GS and sold every last ticket and they were the ones who pushed the Giants towards a larger Met Life.  And they sell just about every ticket and are in the top 3-5 in tickets sold in the NFL. I'm not getting the argument, no matter what you copy and paste.  

What you also dont get that with the internet making selling and buying tickets on a weekly basis as easy as it does having to buy season tickets to go to games is not as difficult.  Bottom line is they still sell their tickets as they did in the old days.  

Here is Heinz Field.  They draw an average of 64,300 fans per Steelers game.   You will note that the views are no better than MetLife stadium, the upper deck and mezzanine levels are just as high off the ground and pushed just as far back, the only difference is that they have no corners and a completely open end zone. 

I guarantee you that we make more "noise" than they do as we average 78,200 fans per game and we have a closed design to trap sound in. Pittsburgh has a population of 306,000 and New York Metro 19.8 million.  To suggest we should have a stadium the size of Pittsburgh and contend that  with 14,000 fewer fans and a completely open stadium are louder than we are is sheer madness.  You are arguing for an open stadium with one open endzone which makes no sense in the context of your argument about passion and loudness. 

SAR I

I can tell you from experience that Heinz is louder 

heinz has also lost more character than metlife ever had. Not only can you take a boat to the stadium which is located on one of the most beautifully designed cities on the east coast, but they have a hall of fame in the stadium. Not even arms length close. 

Metlife, literally, sucks balls. It has the character of a prison. 

I can tell you from experience that Heinz is louder 

heinz has also lost more character than metlife ever had. Not only can you take a boat to the stadium which is located on one of the most beautifully designed cities on the east coast, but they have a hall of fame in the stadium. Not even arms length close. 

Metlife, literally, sucks balls. It has the character of a prison. 

not taking sides here, but Sar's argument, IMO, holds more weight because MetLife - Yanks Stad Pt2 as well- were created as INTERNATIONAL venues that attracts MASSIVE EVENTS with a world following (Promient National team soccer games, AC/DC, Bobby Springfeldberg concerts, electric music festivals, etc). Heinz field is PRIMARILY, if not solely, for football unlike MetLife which was intended to be a blank canvas Major Event venue, same as Yankee Stadium Pt2, THUS NO character because it has to be generic enough to host MULTIPLE events in VARIOUS entertainment industries. 

Heniz Field is a football stadium. MetLife is a Tri-State area Internetional Entertainment Venue. 

Sucked at first, but you have to understand the BILLIONS of $$$ at stake and in the end I've concluded it is OUR stadium because we never had one before that was primarily for us, we were sub-tenants at Giants Stadium. It's better now than crossing the threshold of the Giants house to see my Jets in person.  

The Yankees outdrew the Mets on paper in those early years.  Heres my lesson for you.  In the earlier years the National League and American League calculated attendance figures differently.  If you dont know the American League counted attendance as the number of tickets sold.  The National League by people who showed up to a game.  Every game has more tickets sold than attended.  So when the Mets were drawing 3.5 mil they actually were drawing somewhere over 4 million.  Sorry

I don't give a shlt about trends in football or what the Jets were thinking of doing.  The fact is they didn't go smaller.  They were the ones who wanted to add 8,000 or so tickets to GS and sold every last ticket and they were the ones who pushed the Giants towards a larger Met Life.  And they sell just about every ticket and are in the top 3-5 in tickets sold in the NFL. I'm not getting the argument, no matter what you copy and paste.  

What you also dont get that with the internet making selling and buying tickets on a weekly basis as easy as it does having to buy season tickets to go to games is not as difficult.  Bottom line is they still sell their tickets as they did in the old days.  

Yup, in 50's and 60's the leagues counted differently...its been a long time since that was the case.

So we disagree, and any facts presented are just incorrect. Ratings, attendance figures, it's all just bullsh*t so you can be right.  The Jets were planning a 75,000 seat stadium, but magically they asked the Giants to make the shared stadium bigger, makes sense.  The argument is they really don't sell the tickets, except one or two games a year.  People sitting near my seats pay less than I do on the resale market, but I  supposed to be happy about that?

I agree the Internet changes the dynamics of season tickets, there is less reason today than ever before to own them.  You are exactly correct. Less seats would lower supply, which would make having season tickets more valuable. It would also allow fewer seats on the resale market, less Pats fans in the stadium. 

not taking sides here, but Sar's argument, IMO, holds more weight because MetLife - Yanks Stad Pt2 as well- were created as INTERNATIONAL venues that attracts MASSIVE EVENTS with a world following (Promient National team soccer games, AC/DC, Bobby Springfeldberg concerts, electric music festivals, etc). Heinz field is PRIMARILY, if not solely, for football unlike MetLife which was intended to be a blank canvas Major Event venue, same as Yankee Stadium Pt2, THUS NO character because it has to be generic enough to host MULTIPLE events in VARIOUS entertainment industries. 

Heniz Field is a football stadium. MetLife is a Tri-State area Internetional Entertainment Venue. 

Sucked at first, but you have to understand the BILLIONS of $$$ at stake and in the end I've concluded it is OUR stadium because we never had one before that was primarily for us, we were sub-tenants at Giants Stadium. It's better now than crossing the threshold of the Giants house to see my Jets in person.  

based on your reasoning, and that we are co-tenants, it's still not our stadium. The jets have never had their own stadium. 

SAR I

The end zone uppers you cherish have had their face value cut in half by the Jets themselves because demand was so low. They offer terrible views, are a mile away.  $25 bought you one for the Titans game, half the face value.  Thousands went unsold. The Giants fill them every game, not because they are awesome...there are just more Giants fans.

I have been to games in several NFL stadiums. Pittsburgh, Foxboro, Oakland, Indianapolis, Shea, Baltimore. I would say Baltimore and Pittsburgh and Indy were consistently louder than Met Life is.  Foxboro is not a very intimidating environment, Oakland was loud but they have been bad for a long time. As you know, Shea Stadium shook when it got going. I'm sure it will be loud Sunday, but I think madness is not seeing the situation as it really is. 

SAR I

The end zone uppers you cherish have had their face value cut in half by the Jets themselves because demand was so low. They offer terrible views, are a mile away.  $25 bought you one for the Titans game, half the face value.  Thousands went unsold. The Giants fill them every game, not because they are awesome...there are just more Giants fans.

I have been to games in several NFL stadiums. Pittsburgh, Foxboro, Oakland, Indianapolis, Shea, Baltimore. I would say Baltimore and Pittsburgh and Indy were consistently louder than Met Life is.  Foxboro is not a very intimidating environment, Oakland was loud but they have been bad for a long time. As you know, Shea Stadium shook when it got going. I'm sure it will be loud Sunday, but I think madness is not seeing the situation as it really is. 

BTW, the Pittsburgh metro area has 2.4 million people.  

I do not cherish endzone upper deck seats; I am merely stating that in the world's biggest sports market it makes no sense to have a stadium built to small-market proportions, you can't have a Heinz Field in New York City, makes no sense.

And as @Gas2No99 eloquently points out, MetLife is a multi-purpose facility, the most seating capacity in the biggest sports market in the world.  It's suitable for World Cup Soccer and NCAA games which routinely draw 100,000 people for proper events.  And I've been to many of the stadiums you mention and they are not louder than MetLife when we put a team on the field that we actually like to root for.  And Foxboro is a terrible example of an 'intimidating' environment.  I personally attended 15 Jets/Pats games up there in 14 years and there are more entitled white wine drinking fans there than in any stadium in the league.

Bottom line is that when it's 3rd down, we make a ton of noise and disrupt quarterbacks as well as any other fanbase of any other NFL team and that's really all that matters.  Stop being so negative on Jets fans.  We're good people, we're very passionate, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

SAR I

Metlife Stadium can get loud when fans are motivated to be loud.  Yeah, the old stadium had much better sightlines and acoustics, but the new stadium also can get loud.  The problem is, the fans are rarely motivated to be loud and the entire lower bowl between the 20 yard lines is only half full with real fans at any given moment.

based on your reasoning, and that we are co-tenants, it's still not our stadium. The jets have never had their own stadium. 

I see where I could have BETTER phrased it, the edit below:

"Sucked at first, but you have to understand the BILLIONS of $$$ at stake and in the end I've concluded it is OUR stadium because we never had one before that was primarily for us, we were sub-tenants at Giants Stadium & SHEA - So it makes NO DIFFERENCE in terms of exclusivity, a moot point, since we've ALWAYS have been "co-tenants". Yet, I THINK  It's better now NOT BEING the "B" Tenant on literally "another team's" Stadium - Shea for Mets, GintsStad for @ssholes - because MetLife is JUST AS MUCH OURS, as it is THEIRS and I no longer have to STAND/TOLERATE crossing the threshold of the Giants Name on the FACE of the Stadium EVERY TIME just to see my Jets in person. " 

Make better sense. It's just as much OURS as it is THEIRS. That wasn't the case in our prior history. 

Yup, in 50's and 60's the leagues counted differently...its been a long time since that was the case.

So we disagree, and any facts presented are just incorrect. Ratings, attendance figures, it's all just bullsh*t so you can be right.  The Jets were planning a 75,000 seat stadium, but magically they asked the Giants to make the shared stadium bigger, makes sense.  The argument is they really don't sell the tickets, except one or two games a year.  People sitting near my seats pay less than I do on the resale market, but I  supposed to be happy about that?

I agree the Internet changes the dynamics of season tickets, there is less reason today than ever before to own them.  You are exactly correct. Less seats would lower supply, which would make having season tickets more valuable. It would also allow fewer seats on the resale market, less Pats fans in the stadium. 

50s & 60s?  Lol keep going.  Your facts are incorrect.  By decades. 

50s & 60s?  Lol keep going.  Your facts are incorrect.  By decades. 

It seems to me, the JETS and METS play in the shadows of the Giants and Yankees.  All the stats in the world can say what they want but thats how it feels.  I remember vividly the mid 80's when Gooden, Strawberry and co. (even before the Carter trade)  the METS seemed to dominate the scene but that lasted a short time.

I do not cherish endzone upper deck seats; I am merely stating that in the world's biggest sports market it makes no sense to have a stadium built to small-market proportions, you can't have a Heinz Field in New York City, makes no sense.

And as @Gas2No99 eloquently points out, MetLife is a multi-purpose facility, the most seating capacity in the biggest sports market in the world.  It's suitable for World Cup Soccer and NCAA games which routinely draw 100,000 people for proper events.  And I've been to many of the stadiums you mention and they are not louder than MetLife when we put a team on the field that we actually like to root for.  And Foxboro is a terrible example of an 'intimidating' environment.  I personally attended 15 Jets/Pats games up there in 14 years and there are more entitled white wine drinking fans there than in any stadium in the league.

Bottom line is that when it's 3rd down, we make a ton of noise and disrupt quarterbacks as well as any other fanbase of any other NFL team and that's really all that matters.  Stop being so negative on Jets fans.  We're good people, we're very passionate, absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

SAR I

First, I said Foxboro was not intimidating, if you read my post. 

Second, New York due to its size is the only market with two NFL teams. No other market could support two teams (LA will be interesting). That makes us different that Pittsburgh or any other market for that matter.

The 65,000 Jets fans who consistently show up are loud, passionate, everything you say. I am one of them, have been since Joe Namath, and a season ticket holder since 1991. I think we can be jaded and we struggle to fill the stadium.  Let's agree that tomorrow should be special. 

Archived