Fitz is only 33

long suffering jets fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy to see Fitz starting for us for a maximum of 2-3 more years. I don't know if we can expect him to stay healthy for longer than that, and I hope that by then we'd have either Petty or some other young QB ready to start. Fitz can hold the fort--and more--until then, and then he can stick around until he retires to be our backup.

He isn't an elite, Hall of Famer, but he's EASILY the best QB we've had in a while.

And, we gotta keep Marshall and Decker together, too.

My humble opinion is you underestimate the desperation of NFL GMs to win. If he gets to FA it only takes one...

valid and fair point. I just disagree that another GM would repeat Buddy Knox's 2011 mistake and that GMs believe he would have the same production without similar teammates mirroring Marshal, Decker, and Ivory. 

valid and fair point. I just disagree that another GM would repeat Buddy Knox's 2011 mistake and that GMs believe he would have the same production without similar teammates mirroring Marshal, Decker, and Ivory. 

Maybe not repeat Knox's mistake but probably bid the price up somewhat. That's my only point. No disrespect, I appreciate your perspective.

And Chan...

Chan knows Fitz and how to call for him a big big factor that another team wont have!

The question should not be how many good years does Fitz have left, it should be how many good years do Marshall and Decker have left.  Having those two makes the QB job a lot easier...without them Fitz is no better than Matt Cassel.

And we mock pats fans for being spoiled. One year without a big steaming pile of rotten whale guts and half of us are entitled brats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are nuts , Fitzy's agent would be laughed out of the business if he took that offer. 

Thing is, teams have been down this road with Fitz.  What is Fitz without Gaily?  Through multiple years of experience - seems to be not all that much.  I'm not sure any team is going to make a long term commitment to a QB that has had his only good seasons under one specific OC.  And mostly failed under any other.  3 years, 30mm - 25 guaranteed probably gets it done.

Thing is, teams have been down this road with Fitz.  What is Fitz without Gaily?  Through multiple years of experience - seems to be not all that much.  I'm not sure any team is going to make a long term commitment to a QB that has had his only good seasons under one specific OC.  And mostly failed under any other.  3 years, 30mm - 25 guaranteed probably gets it done.

IMO he gets $36M for 3 yrs and woody wont quibble over $6M,  His agent will prob ask for $45M over 4 yrs. 

correct, happens when you sign an old guy. 

But you get my point in terms of WHY I have my reservations in signing Fitzy in the way you described earlier.  Perhaps I'm just more risk averse of tying up $$$ in an overachieving asset that will ONLY decline with each passing season IF THE TALENT IS NOT MAINTINED AT THE HIGH LEVEL to which is, IMO, the real undrlying factor that compliments his limited skill set. 

If you sign Fitzpatrick to an extension QB becomes a position you don't have to worry about much for at least another year, while also not keeping us from adding another QB in the draft.  When is the last time we could say that?  QB has been a concern for this franchise ever since 1998, other than the 2002 season and 11 games of the 2008 season. 

It'll be nice to have an "overachieving asset" at the position rather than "garbage".  Let Fitz go and what are we left with?  A late 1st draft choice, Bryce Petty, and Geno Smith.  In other words, a big old question mark that Fitz doesn't cause by being here.

People keep pointing to the Bills extending Fitz's deal, but it doesn't hold water.  He got a lot more money then than he will get now, and he did NOT have "diminishing returns".  His first year in Buffalo was 2010, and his play actually improved over time.  2012 was his best season of his career up until now.  It's not really his fault that team had an awful defense and a HC in Chan who really never should have risen above the OC level.  Those circumstances aren't present here.

correct, happens when you sign an old guy. 

But you get my point in terms of WHY I have my reservations in signing Fitzy in the way you described earlier.  Perhaps I'm just more risk averse of tying up $$$ in an overachieving asset that will ONLY decline with each passing season IF THE TALENT IS NOT MAINTINED AT THE HIGH LEVEL to which is, IMO, the real undrlying factor that compliments his limited skill set. 

great point.  I think you definitely give the job to Fitz for the next 3 seasons but you can't let the talent around him deteriorate.

hopefully Amaro and Smith come back healthy and ready to make an impact.  

Id resign Powell too.

2-3 I just think you might be able to disperse the money better over 3 years.

Yeah, I'm thinking 3 year deal, with the assumption that he'll start for the next 2, and year 3 is up in the air depending on what QB's we have on the roster that we've been developing and how Fitz's age/health is impacting him.

Basically the hope is that by 2017/18 Bryce Petty is something like a Kirk Cousins, before HIS rookie contract expires.  OR that we add another QB through the draft at some point that becomes the franchise guy.

Fitzy's primary role for the franchise is to be a capable bridge while our future at the position gets secured.

Yeah, I'm thinking 3 year deal, with the assumption that he'll start for the next 2, and year 3 is up in the air depending on what QB's we have on the roster to develop.

Basically the hope is that by 2017/18 Bryce Petty is something like a Kirk Cousins, before HIS rookie contract expires.  OR that we add another QB through the draft at some point that becomes the franchise guy.

**** Kirk Cousins.  He took me out this week. :)

**** Kirk Cousins.  He took me out this week. :)

If it makes you feel better, I lost by 3 in my big money league's semi-final because I failed to start McFadden against the Jets.  Figured we'd bottle him up.

So essentially the Jets cost me in fantasy!  Dammit!  They better win next week to make up for it, lol.

not that i think those numbers are too far off, but that would be a jets win at 3 years for 30m. sign me up

If it makes you feel better, I lost by 3 in my big money league's semi-final because I failed to start McFadden against the Jets.  Figured we'd bottle him up.

So essentially the Jets cost me in fantasy!  Dammit!  They better win next week to make up for it, lol.

I got you beat.  I lost the Championship game because of the New York teams' karma.  I had Antonio Brown, whose had a monster season but sucked this week which led to Steelers losing and Jets having playoff life.

THEN, my opponent has Decker and the Jets blow the lead, but then Decker gets the winning TD (I was praying for Marshall to get it the whole drive).

Finally, my opponent has the Vikings D which destroys the roller-over Giants and I loose by 25 points.

I got you beat.  I lost the Championship game because of the New York teams' karma.  I had Antonio Brown, whose had a monster season but sucked this week which led to Steelers losing and Jets having playoff life.

THEN, my opponent has Decker and the Jets blow the lead, but then Decker gets the winning TD (I was praying for Marshall to get it the whole drive).

Finally, my opponent has the Vikings D which destroys the roller-over Giants and I loose by 25 points.

The Jets playing meaningful games in late December makes it mostly better, doesn't it.  Haha.

Maybe the Giants screwing you over too had something to do with you raising your kid a Giants fan?  ;)

If Jets don't address OL soon it's all for naught

agree, major priority in off season via draft or free agency as well as special teams, need punt returner to help our average field position start point,, kerley nice, never fumbles, but never gets any yards either, LOL

Fitz will be easier to resign here than many people think. I doubt he wants to move his 5 kids and wife again just for a few extra million from some other team that he will have half the success with.

I have moved my wife and son a few times due to work and it has been hell. When we got the chance to move back home (FL) we jumped on it because it was familiar, we had friends and family here and it generally felt like home. Fitz probably has the same issue with his family. You want to have continuity for your kids, having them have a normal life, with him being back in the NY area its a great thing for us.

The bromance between him marshall and decker is even more of a reason for him to take a good hometown discount. Having people you generally enjoy being around at work makes work tremendously more enjoyable. Also the fact he is having a career year here and has a guaranteed starting gig as a qb is enough to wrap it up. As long as we offer a fair deal to him that offers job / financial security fitz will more than likely stay over someone else floating a few extra mill in his face.

Now this all can go to sh*t if some asshat offers him elite qb money, and who the hell would blame him for taking the cash opportunity of a lifetime.

....just for a few extra million from some other team.....

Repeat the above a few times, then realize how silly such a statement is.

There are alot of reasons Fitz should want to stay, no doubt.  But if someone offers him a #1 job and a "few extra million", have no doubt he'd take it and walk.

Not like moving is new to Fitz, after all. 

Fitz will be easier to resign here than many people think. I doubt he wants to move his 5 kids and wife again just for a few extra million from some other team that he will have half the success with.

I have moved my wife and son a few times due to work and it has been hell. When we got the chance to move back home (FL) we jumped on it because it was familiar, we had friends and family here and it generally felt like home. Fitz probably has the same issue with his family. You want to have continuity for your kids, having them have a normal life, with him being back in the NY area its a great thing for us.

The bromance between him marshall and decker is even more of a reason for him to take a good hometown discount. Having people you generally enjoy being around at work makes work tremendously more enjoyable. Also the fact he is having a career year here and has a guaranteed starting gig as a qb is enough to wrap it up. As long as we offer a fair deal to him that offers job / financial security fitz will more than likely stay over someone else floating a few extra mill in his face.

Now this all can go to sh*t if some asshat offers him elite qb money, and who the hell would blame him for taking the cash opportunity of a lifetime.

Agreed.  I'm not expecting a significant hometown discount, but this IS a good situation for him.  I expect a reasonable deal where both sides, and the fans, end up happy.  We can prevent Fitz from getting "blown away" by another offer by inking the extension while UFA's are still protected.  We have until March 12, 2016 to make that happen.

he also seems to improve with 2 Stud WRs to aide him - DeAndre Hopkins & AJ in Houston 2014

Marsh & Deck in 2015.

i love Fitzy, but I'm not convinced he is worth anything more than 3 years at $12M - 100% guaranteed. He is excelling as a veteran QB who won't give the sacred cow away and KNOWS how to utilize the tools/weapons around in the offense that is catered to his strengths and he is already familiar with. He is a gamer, but not a PHYSICALLY TALENTED QB that deserves Top QB money and could carry Cleveland's 2015 offensive cast on his back to the same results.

not only having 2 stud WR but a cake walk gift wrapped schedule against some of the softest teams you'll ever see. Everything broke right for the jets this year so getting this level of production again seems unlikely IMO. Charlie casserly had it about right, fitz should get 2 years $6M per

Repeat the above a few times, then realize how silly such a statement is.

There are alot of reasons Fitz should want to stay, no doubt.  But if someone offers him a #1 job and a "few extra million", have no doubt he'd take it and walk.

Not like moving is new to Fitz, after all. 

That is a majority of the argument. Fitz has moved constantly throughout his career. Now I could be wrong and he might have the best woman in the world that is cool with moving every year, or two but most women like to plant roots and make homes. Just speculation though and we could see us throw 50 mill at him because hes the best qb we have had since Farve and have no were else to turn.

Again, teams cannot offer these "millions more" until March 12th.  At least according to the rules.  If it gets to that point where Fitz decides to test the waters, he'll already have moved on.  The key is to get him re-signed earlier than that date.  This isn't a matter of losing Fitz to a bidding war.  Either he signs a deal for what he deems to be fair based on what he EXPECTS the market to be, or he decides to hit free agency and we let him walk.  We're not keeping him if he's unsigned after March 12th, in all likelihood.

Again, teams cannot offer these "millions more" until March 12th.  At least according to the rules.  If it gets to that point where Fitz decides to test the waters, he'll already have moved on.  The key is to get him re-signed earlier than that date.  This isn't a matter of losing Fitz to a bidding war.  Either he signs a deal for what he deems to be fair based on what he EXPECTS the market to be, or he decides to hit free agency and we let him walk.  We're not keeping him if he's unsigned after March 12th, in all likelihood.

to be fair, fitz has been very open and self aware in talking about his own limitations and how he's worked with gailey in making a gameplan. He seems like he has a realistic view of himself and I don't think he's looking for a giant contract, especially after the way buffalo turned on him after he got that big deal 

Buffalo already fell into this trap with Fitz.   Don't do the same.  Wait until the season ends to see who else is available.  If he walks? Fine.  I think this year is an aberration anyway. 

Yeah it is an aberration... of good QB play for the Jets. Let him walk and i'm registering firemikemaccagnan.com

Archived