2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

1 game up in the WC race with 6 to play.  Who would not have signed up for that on August 15.  

Too bad the Jets couldn't put up 17 yesterday, then maybe Fitz wouldn't have spent the second half forcing balls into double and triple coverage.  But I digress.  At least we have the Mets this week to take the sting out of yesterday.

It will be of interest to see how the Marlins come out tonight. You would think they may be very spirited. Thought o say, as how many teams have ever gone through something as horrible as this?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It will be of interest to see how the Marlins come out tonight. You would think they may be very spirited. Thought o say, as how many teams have ever gone through something as horrible as this?

Well the Yankees lost their first two games after Munson died in '79.

5 hours ago, Lith said:

1 game up in the WC race with 6 to play.  Who would not have signed up for that on August 15.  

Too bad the Jets couldn't put up 17 yesterday, then maybe Fitz wouldn't have spent the second half forcing balls into double and triple coverage.  But I digress.  At least we have the Mets this week to take the sting out of yesterday.

Terrible weekend for Football.  It makes me not want to watch anymore.  haha

LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!

I am not going to start watching until later. Dunno why but the Fernandez death really hit me and if I watch whatever memorials they do for him I am definitely going to start crying. There are a very small handful of players in my life that I have openly enjoyed and rooted for actively even when they played the Mets and he was one of them. He was such a joy to watch every time he took the mound. One of those rare guys that transcended fandom.

I hate Campbell at 1B as would rather take the chance that Duda runs into one.

That said, Terry will likely once again prove me wrong and Campbell will get a big hit.

3B Jose Reyes (S)

SS A. Cabrera (S)

LF Yoenis Cespedes (R)

CF C. Granderson (L)

2B T.J. Rivera (R)

RF Jay Bruce (L)

C Travis d'Arnaud (R)

1B Eric Campbell (R)

P Bartolo Colon (R)

NYM: Bartolo Colon (R)  (14-7, 3.12)

MIA: Adam Conley (L)  (8-6, 3.94)

Man, that was a tough game to watch.  Rightfully so but every second was a tribute and it was gut wrenching.  God, such a great kid.  He was just so jovial.  What a shame. I had to flip back and forth to MNF a ton...and probably spent more time watching that than the game when the Mets went down early.

We caught a break with the Cards losing but man, what a tough spot for the Mets.  Hopefully we can move the emotions aside tonight and take care of business because we cant rely on the other teams to lose every night down the stretch.

I actually missed Gordon's lead off homer and just watched the replay.  Wow.  Just wow.  What a moment. What a scene.  The entire stadium on their feet giving him one of the most roaring ovations you'll ever hear and him just breaking down as soon as he reached home plate.  Just absolutely amazing. Kudos to the Mets fans in the building, they were all on the feet cheering just as loud as the Marlins fans. 

That was pretty special. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I actually missed Gordon's lead off homer and just watched the replay.  Wow.  Just wow.  What a moment. What a scene.  The entire stadium on their feet giving him one of the most roaring ovations you'll ever hear and him just breaking down as soon as he reached home plate.  Just absolutely amazing. Kudos to the Mets fans in the building, they were all on the feet cheering just as loud as the Marlins fans. 

That was pretty special. 

As tough as it was to lose a big game last night, last week of the season, tight pennant race.  Watching the game, and the way it started, you couldn't help but smile and recognize that the Marlins players and fans needed this one more than us.  I did not expect a close game last night, just didn't know which way it would go.  Once Dee hit the leadoff HR, you just knew that the Marlins would not lose that game.  Congrats to them on an emotional win and appropriate tribute to a fallen teammate.  RIP.

That said, time to get back at it tonight and finish the run they started over the course of these last 6 weeks.

Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New York Mets LHP Steven Matz is unlikely to pitch again this season after visiting with a doctor in Manhattan on Monday, manager Terry Collins told reporters in Miami.

"I don't think it's fair to him or us to do it," Collins said, noting that Matz would probably struggle on a big-league mound if he rushed back, given that he hasn't thrown in a game since Aug. 14.

Matz, who was 9-8 with a 3.40 ERA in 22 starts, spent much of the season pitching with a bone spur in his pitching elbow, which has been causing him pain. Most recently, he was unable to throw due to pain associated with a shoulder impingement.

Collins said it's possible Matz could get work during an instructional league game in October and return to the Mets as a relief pitcher later in the postseason.

"If he pitches in some games in St. Lucie and shows that he's got the command of his stuff, and it's legitimate, then you've got to think about it," Collins said. "But, that's down the road."

2 hours ago, Lith said:

As tough as it was to lose a big game last night, last week of the season, tight pennant race.  Watching the game, and the way it started, you couldn't help but smile and recognize that the Marlins players and fans needed this one more than us.  I did not expect a close game last night, just didn't know which way it would go.  Once Dee hit the leadoff HR, you just knew that the Marlins would not lose that game.  Congrats to them on an emotional win and appropriate tribute to a fallen teammate.  RIP.

That said, time to get back at it tonight and finish the run they started over the course of these last 6 weeks.

Was commenting in the Fernandez thread that it looked as if Bart "grooved" on belt high and inside.... basically a BP pitch.

I'm OK with that because it was like cracking a $500 bottle of champagne at a boat launch... it was a classy gesture!

What followed afterwards stunk to high heaven... and was not ok with that!

On 9/24/2016 at 3:51 PM, Rangers9 said:

Looks like they've really turned the page on Jay Bruce. 

Never thought they would give up on him and discard him. Terry got him right back in there after the Conforto start even tho Conforto started hitting. Now the'ye both gained some confidence and Bruce has hit some recently.

I would like to see Duda get comfortable too. If he is, Terry will prolly play him too if we get in, and advance. Need to hit to have a chance...

Aaaaand it's official. Matz done for the year. That brings the tally to:

3 starting infielders.

Starting catcher for half the year.

Center fielder.

3 starting pitchers.

Primary utility guy.

So if we're basically saying that a starting baseball team less the bullpen consists roughly of about 15 guys or so, the Mets have lost 9 for all of the season or extended periods of time. They're pushing for the playoffs missing 60% of the team.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Aaaaand it's official. Matz done for the year. That brings the tally to:

3 starting infielders.

Starting catcher for half the year.

Center fielder.

3 starting pitchers.

Primary utility guy.

So if we're basically saying that a starting baseball team less the bullpen consists roughly of about 15 guys or so, the Mets have lost 9 for all of the season or extended periods of time. They're pushing for the playoffs missing 60% of the team.

Sad part is the line-up has some real potential right now even w/out Walker and Flores. 

Mets actually have three 30 HR guys in their line-up plus another twenty something from Cabrera.

Walker and Duda would have joined the 20 HR club had they been healthy all season. I can't remember the last time a Mets team had 5 or 6  guys with 20 plus HR's.   Sandy really did a nice job with this roster.

I would love to see what this team could do in the post season with the SP's healthy. 

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

Sad part is the line-up has some real potential right now even w/out Walker and Flores. 

Mets actually have three 30 HR guys in their line-up plus another twenty something from Cabrera.

Walker and Duda would have joined the 20 HR club had they been healthy all season. I can't remember the last time a Mets team had 5 or 6  guys with 20 plus HR's.   Sandy really did a nice job with this roster.

I would love to see what this team could do in the post season with the SP's healthy. 

It's been an unfortunate season all-around. Will be interesting to see how they approach the offseason re: Reyes and Walker, especially with Rivera playing so well. I think with the way they fought the last 6 weeks Sandy will probably do everything he can to bring the band back together for another year to see how they can do with deGrom and Matz back.

7 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

I agree.  I think we are finally beginning to see the potential of the lineup.  And maybe, just maybe, Bruce is coming around.  6 for his last 14 with 2 HRs.  Even though it was only the 2nd inning, I thought his HR yesterday was huge, right after the Marlins scored in the first, after the way they jumped on us early on Monday, I really thought getting out to that early lead was big.

That game was really getting me frustrated, with runners in scoring position all night, and so many chances to break it open.  Really expected that to come back and haunt us until we finally blew it open in the 8th.  Only possible downside from yesterday's game was Familia throwing 20+ pitches in the 9th, but with an off day tomorrow, he should be able to go today if needed and be rested for those last 3 in Philly.  Oh yeah, other downside was both Giants and Cards winning.  Just got to keep winning our games and it won't matter what they do, but I really want to have a WC locked up before Sunday, so Thor can go in the WC -- assuming we get there.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know, it really blows competing with two teams in time zones west of NY for this sh*t. We are the early game every day, so it's basically several hours of walking on egg shells every night.

But, on the other hand, its really nice when you can get that "W" on the board first and add a bit more pressure to the teams playing later.

7 hours ago, Lith said:

But, on the other hand, its really nice when you can get that "W" on the board first and add a bit more pressure to the teams playing later.

Did you get to KC on Sunday?

I hope you missed the flight! What a disaster.

Hope you enjoyed some of the "Ribs" while you were there.

25 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Did you get to KC on Sunday?

I hope you missed the flight! What a disaster.

Hope you enjoyed some of the "Ribs" while you were there.

Yup, I was there for that sh!t show.  Great time meeting a few of the guys from this board before the game, but as for the game itself, wow, what a nightmare.  Off to Arizona next for MNF in a few weeks.  

But for now, how about those Mets.  Another W in the books.  Solid start for Lugo, really bounced back well after falling behind early, and great to see Bruce get his bat going.

Archived