Just a reminder of how far we've come

drsamuel84

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were people saying when the team wa 5-5 that they were good enough? I don't think so. They weren't saying the same about Carolina, but they had a lower mountain to climb

what about when we were 4-1? all that stuff is irrelevant, we were 10-5 playing a dead team w/ a chance to win and get in.  we blew it.

I only wish we had more losses on draft night, Other than that I would much rather have 10 and miss it.  Sometimes winning 10 can be a result of a great schedule but I would rather win 10 games and miss it two years in a row because  you are probably are doing something right and may just need a few pieces or health to get to the next level.

I'd rather go 10-6 and miss out than 4-12 no doubt about it but missing is still a major disappointment.

what about when we were 4-1? all that stuff is irrelevant, we were 10-5 playing a dead team w/ a chance to win and get in.  we blew it.

Its not irrelevant. If you told a person when the Jets were 5-5 that they go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, they would have been okay with it. And then, if they are SOJ fans, they might have guessed at how and went "meh".

Its not irrelevant. If you told a person when the Jets were 5-5 that they go 10-6 and miss the playoffs, they would have been okay with it. And then, if they are SOJ fans, they might have guessed at how and went "meh".

I don't care about 5-5, we should never have been 5-5.  we lost some games we shouldn't have but the bottom line is we were 10-5 and needed to beat a dead team to make the playoffs and failed.  the 5 game win streak was nice but made irrelevant w/ the final loss.

I cant speak for Bowles just yet but Macc made all the right moves and filled holes 2 previous GM's felt could be filled with other teams cast offs particularly at the WR position. In the past 7 years it would not have mattered much what QB we brought in here they would have failed . Now that we finally have some REAL talent at the WR position and a QB who understands the importance of stepping up in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quick with some great pre snap reads our offense has gone from bottom 5 to top ten in one short year. Obviously we still need a decent number 3 WR and a TE and a RB who can be a duel threat but we took a big step in the right direction and Macc gets full credit for that. Now that he's had a full season to evaluate the team from the inside and not the outside looking in I expect more of the same as he fills holes. This team is getting old in areas and we need to win now before we start rebuilding the cool thing is we may still be able to win while in a semi rebuild mode and that's going to be fun for the fans.

Mac did a phenomenal job at taking one of the worst rosters in the league and making it one of the more talented in just one offseason.  However, he had a ton of cash to do so. The best moves he made were certainly for Marshall and Fitz, so no doubt you have to tip your hat to that effort.  The roster cuts/moves were all no brainers.  Kudos to him for getting some FA's in but he had the money (and was willing to spend it).

This offseason will be a test.  Like you said, they've got an aging roster and he has a ton of in house decisions to make.  It will be interesting to see what he does.  My biggest hope though, is that him revamping the scouting dept. will finally result in good drafting because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

The 10-6 trophy is way nicer than the 8-8 trophy. All that money spent in the offseason was worth every penny 

The only acceptable outcome for some of these mental gymnasts is going from 4-12 to a superbowl victory. Progress is a myth apparently. 

the reality is we won't know if this was a real progress year until a few years down the road. getting close to the playoffs and choking away a spot in itself is not progress. this was not the 4-12 team talent wise, this was a very talented team.  One that should be playing in postseason and is not.

sometimes a jump to 9/10 is the start, other times it is not. we will see.

I'm not trying to make a Rex vs. Bowles or Macc Vs. Idzik/Tanny comparison.  All I'm saying is that the overall attitude of the organization has really changed from one that seemed a bit complacent with losing to one that expects more.  I think the org. has a done a good job of changing the mindset quickly.  Will a lead to a Super Bowl?  Only time will tell but the point was I like the direction and much more professional approach this organization has taken.  Let's be honest, the rest of the AFC East was probably laughing at 8-8 celebration.

So a 4 - 12 season is the same as a 10 - 6 season? Of course everybody wants them to win a Super Bowl, but from my perspective as a fan, I'd rather that all 16 weeks matter than to know that the season is over in October.

The team is heading the right direction, but let's be real. Until Brady is gone, the Jets are going to be fighting for WC spots as their way into the playoffs.

Been saying this about the Pats for the last few years.

As for the Jets year, it ended in disappointing style, but people are getting carried away, talking about schedules and crap. They had a good year and fell short of a great year

You don't hear Pats fans crying about next year's schedule.

Miami wasn't laughing when we knocked them out of the playoffs.

The attitude has changed but it's not a winning vs. complacent attitude. 

4-12 has nothing to do w/ 10-6, the teams were very different, the talent was incredibly different.  10-6 and missing is better than 4-12 but 10-6 isn't a reason to celebrate and we have no idea what the future holds.  I love the GM/HC combo but the HC failed in a BIG spot and the Gm made a ton of easy moves last year w/ so much cap room and having to spend it.  the reality about both is we don't know yet.  I am happy w/ them and think they will be a good duo for us but we don't know.  This offseason will be huge.

I would not downplay the moves that Mac made. They seem like no brainers now, but I remember plenty of posts about Marshall being a locker room cancer and Ftiz being worse than Geno. Even if they were no brainers, he got them done. That's something that a lot of other QB and WR needy teams did not do.

This was a very successful season for the Jets. A 6 game improvement is nothing to just brush away as nothing. But the Jets have to build off of this. I believe we have the right guys for the job but we shall see.

This is the best season the Jets have had since 2010, the circus is finally gone and it looks like we are back on the right track that we veered away from for a while.

No you don't, but the Pats are an Elite team (Tom Brady*).

We are the box of chocolates that Forest Gump talks about, "You never know what your going to get" 

Mac did some great moves, Brandon being #1 and Fitz #2. One a FA from the scrap heap, Marshall being our best 5th round pick ever.

Some solid development players and a starter. He's the key in building us a roster to compete.

Bowles overall C+, to many rookie mistakes. I had him at B- but being out coached by Ryan bumped him down.

In the modern NFL it's about having a good Offence. It trumps a Top D every time.

We spent all of our Rex error, spending to many picks on Defence. Especially on the impact player 1st round.

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

If you dont make the playoffs then you havent come far. Successful teams make the playoffs, successful franchises make the playoffs every year...or should I say, more often than not. 

We can make the acknowledgment that 10-6 is better than 4-12, but both teams missed the playoffs so it doesnt make a difference. There are some teams that look at a 10-6 record as an accomplishment. I reserve that to teams such as the Browns, Titans, Bucs etc. You have other teams who look at the season EVERY YEAR as superbowl or bust such as the Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks etc.

Then you have teams that are consistent playoff teams like the Bengals, Colts, Packers, Ravens etc. <<<This is where the Jets should be at this point. 

The Jets are not that good to be "superbowl or bust", but they're not the f'ing Browns. The Jets should be a playoff team every year. THIS TEAM should have been a playoff team and im cutting the excuses because its a fact. This team was one of the 12 most talented teams in the league and we didnt play up to the potential so how the hell could this be a reminder of how far we've come when we're playing underachieving football? 

Jets fans seriously need to stop accepting this. Im not saying that we should never miss the playoffs, but seriously the Jets have made the playoffs just 6 times since the new millennium. Thats not progress. Not when the 2000, 2008 and 2015 teams should have made the playoffs. 

No disrespect, but I dont want to hear how far we've come. We've only made the playoffs back to back 2 times the past 15 years and those 3 seasons that I mentioned were teams that were good enough to make the playoffs and we didnt because it was underachievement. 

Im not looking at last year to make this year feel better. Last years team was a team rebuilding. This year the team was BUILT! We need to stop with giving this team excuses and expect more as fans. 

Playoffs or bust period. Anything that doesnt include playoffs is considered a failure and we shouldnt be entertaining the excuses or stories about how it was better than last year. Make the playoffs! 

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

If you dont make the playoffs then you havent come far. Successful teams make the playoffs, successful franchises make the playoffs every year...or should I say, more often than not. 

We can make the acknowledgment that 10-6 is better than 4-12, but both teams missed the playoffs so it doesnt make a difference. There are some teams that look at a 10-6 record as an accomplishment. I reserve that to teams such as the Browns, Titans, Bucs etc. You have other teams who look at the season EVERY YEAR as superbowl or bust such as the Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks etc.

Then you have teams that are consistent playoff teams like the Bengals, Colts, Packers, Ravens etc. <<<This is where the Jets should be at this point. 

The Jets are not that good to be "superbowl or bust", but they're not the f'ing Browns. The Jets should be a playoff team every year. THIS TEAM should have been a playoff team and im cutting the excuses because its a fact. This team was one of the 12 most talented teams in the league and we didnt play up to the potential so how the hell could this be a reminder of how far we've come when we're playing underachieving football? 

Jets fans seriously need to stop accepting this. Im not saying that we should never miss the playoffs, but seriously the Jets have made the playoffs just 6 times since the new millennium. Thats not progress. Not when the 2000, 2008 and 2015 teams should have made the playoffs. 

No disrespect, but I dont want to hear how far we've come. We've only made the playoffs back to back 2 times the past 15 years and those 3 seasons that I mentioned were teams that were good enough to make the playoffs and we didnt because it was underachievement. 

Im not looking at last year to make this year feel better. Last years team was a team rebuilding. This year the team was BUILT! We need to stop with giving this team excuses and expect more as fans. 

Playoffs or bust period. Anything that doesnt include playoffs is considered a failure and we shouldnt be entertaining the excuses or stories about how it was better than last year. Make the playoffs! 

My reply was not intended to be positive. I'd sooner have won less games for better picks then a10-6 failure.

I think I could have handled a loss to the Pats, but the loss to that dumb a$$ In a cluster Fook performance seriously pissed me off. The 50th Super Bowl season is over for me, I'm not watching the playoffs I'm that uninterested.

My reply was not intended to be positive. I'd sooner have won less games for better picks then a10-6 failure.

I think I could have handled a loss to the Pats, but the loss to that dumb a$$ In a cluster Fook performance seriously pissed me off. The 50th Super Bowl season is over for me, I'm not watching the playoffs I'm that uninterested.

It wasnt specific. It was directed more to the overall convo. 

The sh*t is nuts. We did better than last year, so what! The result was the same. lol. 

Mac did a phenomenal job at taking one of the worst rosters in the league and making it one of the more talented in just one offseason.  However, he had a ton of cash to do so. The best moves he made were certainly for Marshall and Fitz, so no doubt you have to tip your hat to that effort.  The roster cuts/moves were all no brainers.  Kudos to him for getting some FA's in but he had the money (and was willing to spend it).

This offseason will be a test.  Like you said, they've got an aging roster and he has a ton of in house decisions to make.  It will be interesting to see what he does.  My biggest hope though, is that him revamping the scouting dept. will finally result in good drafting because at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

exactly the scouting dept will be huge cause the one we had in place I think you or I could have done a better job they were terrible

Losing this week sucked and will definitely make watching the playoff this week tough to swallow.  However, just wanted to post a little reminder of how far we've come.  Looking back, you can see why we were viewed as such a circus celebrating a meaningless win to get us to 8-8 just two years ago.  Even our owner seems to have a much different attitude about expectations.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Locker-Room-Exclusive---Rex-Retained-as-Coach/ac9d869a-d78d-410a-b819-055f06ccf75c

Speaking of a little reminder, we played 12 games against teams with .500+ record and went 8-4 against them. So yeah, we've come a long way.

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

They're not. Accept that and wait for the time when they will be.

I think we are in the area with the Lions and Falcons. Teams with talent that are very inconsistent. Ravens are falling back to that level after their SB run, but are still in level 2

In essence, here are the 4 tiers.

1. Pats, Broncos, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks

2. Cardinals, Panthers, Bengals, Colts, Ravens

3. Jets, Falcons, Lions, Giants, Vikings, Saints, Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles, Bills, Texans, Chiefs

4. Browns, Titans, Bucs, Jaguars, Rams, Dolphins, Chargers, Niners, Bears

To move up to where they want to be, they need to develop a killer instinct. Too many times they could stomped on the throat and didn't. That hopefully will come with time.

They just moved up from Tier 4 to Tier 3

The 10-6 trophy is way nicer than the 8-8 trophy. All that money spent in the offseason was worth every penny 

You know how many times we have had 3 seasons in a row without a losing one??? Only 2 HC's have done it one is the Tuna and the other is the Buffoon.. Now we did have 6 straight seasons without a losing one but that was 3 HC's the Tuna,Groh and Hermie..The last 2 did it with a Tuna set up team with QB's Vinny and Chad.. And of course only one made the playoffs with a rookie QB..:)

no one questions marshall's talent, it was the LR stuff.  he came here with a great attitude and formed a lethal combo w/ Decker which helped a journeyman QB have a career year. 

we didn't have any huge injuries w/ prolonged absences,   The depth was not great(it's hard t have great depth in the cap era) but we more than enough talent to be a playoff team.  depth or lack of depth did not cost us a playoff spot.  showing up unprepared and uninspired in Buffalo cost us a playoff game,

Great post.  

Special teams was no doubt the weakest of the 3 phases of this team, Hopefully, a new ST coach will be able to bring them back to somewhere in the top 15 area.

There's no doubt in my mind that  poor ST play caused this team to lose a  couple of games this year and perhaps made a couple of games tighter than they should have been.

That's all water under the bridge. Overall, this team is moving in the right direction but they just weren't able to get over the hump when pushed came to shove. 

Going on the road in a "must win" scenario is so hard to overcome especially when there are very few players on the current team who's done so in the past.

For me, i hope that our GM goes out and get 1 or 2 players who've been to the mountain top. I think having a couple of player with rings already on their fingers would go a very long way when it comes to getting past the tough games.

This team has anywhere to 1-3 years as a window of opportunity to try and win. With that in mind, i hope they go "all in" this free agent season.

Special teams was no doubt the weakest of the 3 phases of this team, Hopefully, a new ST coach will be able to bring them back to somewhere in the top 15 area.

There's no doubt in my mind that  poor ST play caused this team to lose a  couple of games this year and perhaps made a couple of games tighter than they should have been.

That's all water under the bridge. Overall, this team is moving in the right direction but they just weren't able to get over the hump when pushed came to shove. 

Going on the road in a "must win" scenario is so hard to overcome especially when there are very few players on the current team who's done so in the past.

For me, i hope that our GM goes out and get 1 or 2 players who've been to the mountain top. I think having a couple of player with rings already on their fingers would go a very long way when it comes to getting past the tough games.

This team has anywhere to 1-3 years as a window of opportunity to try and win. With that in mind, i hope they go "all in" this free agent season.

No question our STs were the weakest phase but we had strong O and D and had chances to overcome STs mistakes.  The easy thing for Bowles would have been to keep April and move forward.  I hate seeing people lose their job especially after one season but it's good to see he won't tolerate losing.

I'm not trying to make a Rex vs. Bowles or Macc Vs. Idzik/Tanny comparison.  All I'm saying is that the overall attitude of the organization has really changed from one that seemed a bit complacent with losing to one that expects more.  I think the org. has a done a good job of changing the mindset quickly.  Will a lead to a Super Bowl?  Only time will tell but the point was I like the direction and much more professional approach this organization has taken.  Let's be honest, the rest of the AFC East was probably laughing at 8-8 celebration.

Yes they were

Where on the tape is there an over the top celebration over 8-8?

I see one celebrating Rex being retained.  Not over finishing 8-8 on its own. 

Exactly, 6 games against the Bills, Dolphins and Jets is pretty much a cakewalk.

I was thinking the same thing about the Bills, Dolphins and Pats.  

Until the Bills didnt roll over and die like the Pats did when they were smacked in the face by the Jets

Speaking of a little reminder, we played 12 games against teams with .500+ record and went 8-4 against them. So yeah, we've come a long way.

huh?  we went 3-4 against teams w/ .500 or better record this year.

1-1 vs. 12-4 NE

0-2 vs. 8-8 Buf

1-0 vs. 8-8 Ind

0-1 against 9-7 Hou

1-0 against 9-7 wash

So we played 7 games against teams .500 plus. 

So why are people saying the schedule was so easy?

the schedule was cake.  two of those teams won awful divisions.  Buf and Ind weren't very good.  we played 1 above average team all year and split w/ them- the win came when they finished 2-4 and were really banged up.  the sched couldn't have been easier.

huh?  we went 3-4 against teams w/ .500 or better record this year.

1-1 vs. 12-4 NE

0-2 vs. 8-8 Buf

1-0 vs. 8-8 Ind

0-1 against 9-7 Hou

1-0 against 9-7 wash

We played 4 games against teams with >.500 record (.500+ or a winning record). Pats x 2, Wash n Houston (went 2-2). We lost to TJ Yates in one of those 4 games. Washington was sh*t when we beat them and only managed to sneak in to the playoffs is because of the sh*t division they played in. Then you had the losses against Eagles, Raiders, n Bills x 2. 

However you slice, you're going against your own words when you were debating with the Dolphin fans on finheaven for years when they won the division (in 2008?). 

We played 4 games against teams with >.500 record (.500+ or a winning record). Pats x 2, Wash n Houston (went 2-2). We lost to TJ Yates in one of those 4 games. Washington was sh*t when we beat them and only managed to sneak in to the playoffs is because of the sh*t division they played in. Then you had the losses against Eagles, Raiders, n Bills x 2. 

However you slice, you're going against your own words when you were debating with the Dolphin fans on finheaven for years when they won the division (in 2008?). 

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I simply corrected a post that was misinformed and I never bashed Miami for 2008 I brought up their weak sched when fans wanted to whine about us in 2009.  good teams take advantage of easy scheds.

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

Respectfully disagree

It does matter. You have to start somewhere. I get that every season is different and that we can easily end up 5-11 next year. But I thought this was a good first year for a new HC/GM combo. I just liked what I saw on the field.

The Jets have a long way to go but you have to build a foundation for long term success. If you like the combo of Bowles/Mac than you have to be happy with year 1. We have a solid foundation on defense and if we can address certain needs on the offensive side of the ball we have a chance to build long term success

I have no idea what you are talking about.  I simply corrected a post that was misinformed and I never bashed Miami for 2008 I brought up their weak sched when fans wanted to whine about us in 2009.  good teams take advantage of easy scheds.

My post wasn't misinformed. I know exactly what I was saying. We only beat two teams with a winning record. Redskins n Pats while going 8-4 against teams at .500 or below. That's exactly what I said earlier.

If we were to be a true playoff team, we should have won all those 12 games plus the Redskins n TJ Yates. We played 14 games against teams with 9 or less wins  n still only won 10. 

Point is, we didn't make the playoffs with one of the weakest schedule. All those fancy FA signings didn't help. All that cap spend just made us an average football so no, we didn't come a long way (OP). 

My post wasn't misinformed. I know exactly what I was saying. We only beat two teams with a winning record. Redskins n Pats while going 8-4 against teams at .500 or below. That's exactly what I said earlier.

If we were to be a true playoff team, we should have won all those 12 games plus the Redskins n TJ Yates. We played 14 games against teams with 9 or less wins  n still only won 10. 

Point is, we didn't make the playoffs with one of the weakest schedule. All those fancy FA signings didn't help. All that cap spend just made us an average football so no, we didn't come a long way (OP). 

You made the mistake saying we were 8-4 against teams .500+.

we didn't have to go 12-0 against those teams but we should have gone at least 9-3 and we would have made the playoffs.

we did have weak sched, I agree w/ you.  watching these playoffs it's really frustrating b/c there aren't any great teams in the AFC.  we would have had a chance.

Archived