Marshall: Without Fitz, “We probably would have been 4-12”

JetNation

Out of the weakest division in the NFL, in a year when Andrew Luck was injured for most of the season.  No, we should not have lost to them, but we were the better team overall.  And we would certainly not have gotten waxed 30-0 in the playoffs.  Coulda/woulda/shoulda, sure, but it's not really a relevant reason to bash Fitz.

I wasnt bashing Fitz just pointing out that they let go of Fitz, beat us with TJ Yates and made the playoffs but here we are pointing and laughing.

Jets fans have a thing with that.  Love to make fun of the teams that hand them their season.  Weird.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the weakest division in the NFL, in a year when Andrew Luck was injured for most of the season.  No, we should not have lost to them, but we were the better team overall.  And we would certainly not have gotten waxed 30-0 in the playoffs.  Coulda/woulda/shoulda, sure, but it's not really a relevant reason to bash Fitz.

they played 4 playoff bound teams, we played 3 w/ 2 of them being beaten soundly in the WC rd.  The 4 they played, 3 are still alive and the one that lost did so in a close game.

I wasnt bashing Fitz just pointing out that they let go of Fitz, beat us with TJ Yates and made the playoffs but here we are pointing and laughing.

Jets fans have a thing with that.  Love to make fun of the teams that hand them their season.  Weird.

Why can't we point and laugh?  The QB they let go had a great season, while his replacement threw 4 picks in a 30-0 loss.  Sure, I wish we'd have gotten our chance in the postseason, and the Texans beating us was a big reason why we didn't make it.  But we can simultaneously be disappointed in the way our season ended while still laughing at the way Houston's ended.  They have JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins yet they lose by 30.  That's funny to me. 

Why can't we point and laugh?  The QB they let go had a great season, while his replacement threw 4 picks in a 30-0 loss.  Sure, I wish we'd have gotten our chance in the postseason, and the Texans beating us was a big reason why we didn't make it.  But we can simultaneously be disappointed in the way our season ended while still laughing at the way Houston's ended.  They have JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins yet they lose by 30.  That's funny to me. 

hard to laugh at a team that just made their 3rd playoff appp since 2011 while we have zero.

Good point. 

They may have been in a weak division along with an injured Andrew Luck, but that doesnt mean that we had to go out there with an overall better team and lose to them. Besides, though they may have only gotten into the playoffs by winning a crappy division, they did so beating Fitz and the Jets on their way to that division. 

The Jets didnt even have to win their division, they just needed to win 1 game and couldnt get it done. Putting my semi-trolling nature aside, I honestly dont understand the argument.

It looks bad when your team is the overall better team but they lose to an inferior team, which ultimately costs them a playoff spot. 

Good point. 

They may have been in a weak division along with an injured Andrew Luck, but that doesnt mean that we had to go out there with an overall better team and lose to them. Besides, though they may have only gotten into the playoffs by winning a crappy division, but they did so beating Fitz and the Jets on their way to that division. 

The Jets didnt even have to win the division, they just needed to win 1 game and couldnt get it done. Putting my semi-trolling forum nature aside, I honestly dont understand the argument.

It looks bad when your team is the overall better team but they lose to an inferior team, which ultimately costs them a playoff spot. 

we actually only had to win one different game, hypothetically had we lost to Wash/NYG or Dal and beat Hou ,Oak or Buf we make it at 10-6.

we actually only had to win one different game, hypothetically had we lost to Wash/NYG or Dal and beat Hou ,Oak or Buf we make it at 10-6.

True, and thats why I even mentioned that losing to the Texans could have cost us a playoff spot. 

I can admire when people stick with who they like no matter the situation, its adds color, but some of the quotes I've read are like "wow". 

Fitz had a good year statistically but the stats dont really tell the story, and like you just mentioned, winning only 50% of your division games and 58% of your conference games puts you in position to miss the playoffs. Those are the most important games. 

True, and thats why I even mentioned that losing to the Texans could have cost us a playoff spot. 

I can admire when people stick with who they like no matter the situation, its adds color, but some of the quotes I've read are like "wow". 

Fitz had a good year statistically but the stats dont really tell the story, and like you just mentioned, winning only 50% of your division games and 58% of your conference games puts you in position to miss the playoffs. Those are the most important games. 

I didn't like Fitz early, I thought he played much worse than the #s showed.  then I thought he played much better than the #s in Oct, from Nov on he played really, really well until the biggest game of the year.  I appreciate what he did but his season was not a success based on how he played week 17.  Numbers are nice but we had a playoff app giftwrapped for us and we blew it.

I already disproved the idea that Geno's Jets going 8-8 is irrelevant in another thread.  That team was outscored by 97 points overall and Geno played terrible.  They should have won 5 games.  This claim was validated based on his performance the following season, when the team around him was not significantly different and they went 4-12.  If he played like he did in his first 2 years, the 2015 Jets go 6-10 at best.  If he showed some improvement, maybe we go 7-9.

I don't think you can ever say "they should have won five." You can say the Jets shouldn't have made the playoffs then in 2009-10. The fact is many of the games are very close and are won by "luck," like the Steelers and Seahawks had last weekend. Who would have thought that the guy would miss a 27 yarder (shorter than an extra point).. I thought Geno was ok those last five games in 2013 as he was at the end of 2014. A win is a win, it counts! IMO you can't validly say we should have lost a game we won. Geno to me is worth keeping. You aren't going to find a better backup at that price on the market.  

I don't think you can ever say "they should have won five."

You can when all the evidence points toward that team really being terrible, and when so many people here throw that 8-8 season out all the time as evidence that Geno was actually good that year.  He wasn't.  Like I mentioned, they had 4 games that year where they were outscored by 20+ points, and 3 others where the game was lost by double digits.  That's not the sign of a competitive team.  In 2015, we had zero such games non-competitive games under Fitz.  He helped give this team a great chance to win in basically all 15 of his healthy games this season. 

Sometimes it doesn't come down to "A win is a win", not when the predictive value of the actual performances in those games suggested we were actually terrible.  Just like those who ripped Fitzpatrick for never having a winning season refused to acknowledge the large amount of evidence that he was actually an average/above average QB who most of the time led offenses to 20+ point games, and therefore when paired up with a better team would have a solid winning season.  And that was exactly what happened.  Paired with the Jets, we went 10-6, and there was nothing "flukey" about that record.  It also means we're not likely to have a backslide next season with him under center.  We would have to lose a ton of talent and fail to replace them with adequate talent to drop significantly from 10-6.  More than likely we're going to be in that 9+ win category.

Meanwhile, with Geno, based on the evidence at hand, you cannot come to the conclusion that with him playing like he did in 2013-14 we would match these results.  Far from it.  The only argument that can be made is that he takes a very large step up in play after 3 years in the league.  And by that I mean he would have to go from being a bottom 3 QB and jump about 10-12 slots above other QB's.  Is that likely?  No.  Especially given our coaching staff's clear inclination over the course of the season not to trust him with a single start and ride the veteran as far as he could take us instead.  This despite a midseason lull out of Fitz and a hand injury.  The coaching staff clearly didn't think Geno took a significant step forward as a professional, so neither should we.

I dont know.  I find it strange.  I'd prefer their ending to ours.  They beat us, made the playoffs...but they're the joke and not the Jets?  

okay

Good point. 

They may have been in a weak division along with an injured Andrew Luck, but that doesnt mean that we had to go out there with an overall better team and lose to them. Besides, though they may have only gotten into the playoffs by winning a crappy division, they did so beating Fitz and the Jets on their way to that division. 

The Jets didnt even have to win their division, they just needed to win 1 game and couldnt get it done. Putting my semi-trolling nature aside, I honestly dont understand the argument.

Jets fans are strange.  Point and laugh, everyone is stupid and sucks.  Yet the real joke are the Jets, yet again...

You can when all the evidence points toward that team really being terrible, and when so many people here throw that 8-8 season out all the time as evidence that Geno was actually good that year.  He wasn't.  Like I mentioned, they had 4 games that year where they were outscored by 20+ points, and 3 others where the game was lost by double digits.  That's not the sign of a competitive team.  In 2015, we had zero such games non-competitive games under Fitz.  He helped give this team a great chance to win in basically all 15 of his healthy games this season. 

Sometimes it doesn't come down to "A win is a win", not when the predictive value of the actual performances in those games suggested we were actually terrible.  Just like those who ripped Fitzpatrick for never having a winning season refused to acknowledge the large amount of evidence that he was actually an average/above average QB who most of the time led offenses to 20+ point games, and therefore when paired up with a better team would have a solid winning season.  And that was exactly what happened.  Paired with the Jets, we went 10-6, and there was nothing "flukey" about that record.  It also means we're not likely to have a backslide next season with him under center.  We would have to lose a ton of talent and fail to replace them with adequate talent to drop significantly from 10-6.  More than likely we're going to be in that 9+ win category.

Meanwhile, with Geno, based on the evidence at hand, you cannot come to the conclusion that with him playing like he did in 2013-14 we would match these results.  Far from it.  The only argument that can be made is that he takes a very large step up in play after 3 years in the league.  And by that I mean he would have to go from being a bottom 3 QB and jump about 10-12 slots above other QB's.  Is that likely?  No.  Especially given our coaching staff's clear inclination over the course of the season not to trust him with a single start and ride the veteran as far as he could take us instead.  This despite a midseason lull out of Fitz and a hand injury.  The coaching staff clearly didn't think Geno took a significant step forward as a professional, so neither should we.

I'm not backing Geno but this coaching staff did have him penciled in as their starter until he got punched out. Look, I want Fitz back. All I'm saying is that Geno is ok as the backup. When you look at the many Qbs signed during the year because of injuries he's Imo better than most of them. And again I don't give back any of those Ws with Geno. He gets credit for them even if he wasn't that good. PS Geno never really had Marshall as an option on O. And he was their single best player in 2015, Geno did get into one game this past year and played ok. He wasn't bad at all. 

I'm not backing Geno but this coaching staff did have him penciled in as their starter until he got punched out. Look, I want Fitz back. All I'm saying is that Geno is ok as the backup. When you look at the many Qbs signed during the year because of injuries he's Imo better than most of them. And again I don't give back any of those Ws with Geno. He gets credit for them even if he wasn't that good. PS Geno never really had Marshall as an option on O. And he was their single best player in 2015, Geno did get into one game this past year and played ok. He wasn't bad at all. 

Geno is an acceptable backup until a better option comes along and/or Petty passes him on the depth chart.  At least you're willing to admit he's no more than the # 2.  Some still haven't reached conclusion yet.

Jets fans are strange.  Point and laugh, everyone is stupid and sucks.  Yet the real joke are the Jets, yet again...

You know its strange when we read excuses for why its not cool to be down on the Jets when they dont make the playoffs yet criticize another team for making it. 

It would have been one thing if we actually beat the Texans, but we cant have it both ways. We cant lose to the team that we're calling inferior ,or they only won the division "because". 

Thats just hating. 

That's just asinine to say, w/o Fitz we are still in the hunt w/ all the talent around the QB.  would we have won 10? probably not but who knows?  Fitz played well(until we needed him most in week 17) and I am happy w/ him but to say we'd have been 4-12 w/o him is just plain stupid. we would have been better than 4-12 w/ this team and this weak sched if Petty was starting.

OK. So you tell our best player that his opinion on his team, the one he actually plays on and is privy to practices, meetings, and such, is "Stupid", and your random guy in the stands opinion is far more informed....

Lol

OK. So you tell our best player that his opinion on his team, the one he actually plays on and is privy to practices, meetings, and such, is "Stupid", and your random guy in the stands opinion is far more informed....

Lol

so when he was talking up Geno before the injury you believe that too?  sometimes in life we have to have some common sense and not believe everything we see or hear.

You know its strange when we read excuses for why its not cool to be down on the Jets when they dont make the playoffs yet criticize another team for making it. 

It would have been one thing if we actually beat the Texans, but we cant have it both ways. We cant lose to the team that we're calling inferior ,or they only won the division "because". 

Thats just hating. 

Nothing to do with hating, whatever that means. Sounds more like good ol fashioned stupidity.

Another vote of confidence for Brian Hoyer:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621812/article/texans-owner-we-need-a-franchise-quarterback

Texans owner: We need a franchise quarterback

Texans owner Bob McNair struggled through the team's season-ending, 30-0 loss to the Chiefs like everybody else last weekend. And like everybody else, he came away with the same thought: The Texans need a franchise quarterback.

"I don't think there's any question," he said, via The Houston Chronicle. "I've been saying that. The question is what's available, and what's the price? How many draft picks might you have to give up? You can't undermine the rest of your team while you're trying to get a quarterback.

"This isn't a department store where they have them on the shelf, and you just pick one up. It's a question of who's available. We're working on that. We think there are some good prospects out there."

McNair said the loss to the Chiefs, in which Brian Hoyer completed fewer than half his passes and hurled four picks, was "absolutely terrible."

The Texans have the No. 22 overall pick in the upcoming draft, and while it's unclear if that is the avenue they'll go for a franchise quarterback -- Robert Griffin III, Sam Bradford and a few other enticing names could be on the market in March -- they should be able to get a decent player assuming a few of the projected quarterbacks hold their first-round grades through the NFL Scouting Combine.

Free agency might make more sense because clearly this team can win now. Hoyer did an admirable job behind center this year, and although he'll be defined by that playoff loss by some, it's hard to discount nine pretty good starts. Hoyer completed more than 60 percent of his passes, and tossed 19 touchdown passes to seven interceptions during the regular season.

And so, for another offseason, the search continues. Who will wind up under center in 2016?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621812/article/texans-owner-we-need-a-franchise-quarterback

Texans owner: We need a franchise quarterback

Texans owner Bob McNair struggled through the team's season-ending, 30-0 loss to the Chiefs like everybody else last weekend. And like everybody else, he came away with the same thought: The Texans need a franchise quarterback.

"I don't think there's any question," he said, via The Houston Chronicle. "I've been saying that. The question is what's available, and what's the price? How many draft picks might you have to give up? You can't undermine the rest of your team while you're trying to get a quarterback.

"This isn't a department store where they have them on the shelf, and you just pick one up. It's a question of who's available. We're working on that. We think there are some good prospects out there."

McNair said the loss to the Chiefs, in which Brian Hoyer completed fewer than half his passes and hurled four picks, was "absolutely terrible."

The Texans have the No. 22 overall pick in the upcoming draft, and while it's unclear if that is the avenue they'll go for a franchise quarterback -- Robert Griffin III, Sam Bradford and a few other enticing names could be on the market in March -- they should be able to get a decent player assuming a few of the projected quarterbacks hold their first-round grades through the NFL Scouting Combine.

Free agency might make more sense because clearly this team can win now. Hoyer did an admirable job behind center this year, and although he'll be defined by that playoff loss by some, it's hard to discount nine pretty good starts. Hoyer completed more than 60 percent of his passes, and tossed 19 touchdown passes to seven interceptions during the regular season.

And so, for another offseason, the search continues. Who will wind up under center in 2016?

Maybe we can trade Fitzpatrick back to them. lol. 

That situation is going to be interesting. I suspect they will franchise him, pay him a ton this year, and make him do it again before they give him a big contract. If he does it again, he will get paid.

Giving Cousins $18M+ for one year strikes me as insane.

Hoyer got $10M for 2 and put up Fitzpatrick type numbers.  Sometimes when I look at guys getting $10M contracts I forget that is close to backup money now.  Fitzpatrick deserves more, but not much more IMO.  I would be looking at something in the $12M/16M for 2 or $18M/$24M for 3 range.  Nothing more. 

Archived