Marshall: Without Fitz, “We probably would have been 4-12”

JetNation

Wow just wow...

You guys are way to sensitive Marshall didn't mention Geno at all!  All Marshall was doing was praising one of the guys who actually took the field and had to play and make plays.  He was saying Fitz won them a ton of games this year and that we couldn't have done so without that leadership and play.

Didn't any of you play competitive sports at any level?

Folks say this about STARTERS all the time!! 

Guys on the bench are maybes and no one knows what they would do until they are in the game, on the field and in the heat of battle.

For all we know the Jets go 16-0 with Geno as the starter, that doesn't diminish Fitz and his leadership....

Come on guys!!!

whether he realized it or not he was bashing Geno w/ that silly quote.  I get it, he was trying to pump up Fitz but it was a dumb thing to say.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whether he realized it or not he was bashing Geno w/ that silly quote.  I get it, he was trying to pump up Fitz but it was a dumb thing to say.

I couldn't disagree more!!!!

I have played on successful teams at every level except the pros and this was said about starters all the time.

Lets mismatch what you are saying; lets say Fitz said that "without Marshall we wouldn't have won 10 games or we would have been 4-12"  would you honestly be saying that this is  a knock on Devin Smith or Kerley?  No!! Of course not!!

In fact would anyone even say that was a knock on Decker?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OF COURSE NOT!!!!

But somehow a guy who is sitting on the bench is somehow supposed to be "offended" because a starter says another starter was the difference maker.

IMO if Geno thinks that this is knock on him, WHICH NOTHING SAYS HE DOES, then he can't even be in the mail room let alone be the leader of a pro football team.

Come on Now....

I have played on successful teams at every level except the pros and this was said about starters all the time.

Lets mismatch what you are saying; lets say Fitz said that "without Marshall we wouldn't have won 10 games or we would have been 4-12"  would you honestly be saying that this is  a knock on Devin Smith or Kerley?  No!! Of course not!!

But somehow a guy who is sitting on the bench is somehow supposed to be "offended" because a starter says another starter was the difference maker.

IMO if Geno thinks that this is knock on him, WHICH NOTHING SAYS HE DOES, then he can't even be in the mail room let alone be the leader of a pro football team.

Come on Now....

no offense but where you played doesn't really matter in this discussion.  this is the biggest sports league in the Country in the biggest market.  If he wants to back his buddy that's fine, talk Fitz up all you want but don't do it at the expense of another teammate and removing Geno from the discussion, it's an asinine quote w/ absolutely no merit.

whether intentional or not if you don't think this is a shot at geno I don't know what to tell you.  He's saying if any other QB was in there they'd have been 4-12(which coincidentally happened to be the Jets record last year).  he can say how great Fitz was and all that but to say something as silly as they would have been 4-12 w/o him is just idiotic on numerous levels.

Geno hasn't said a word, he doesn't have to. 

Come on Now....

Keep in mind this is a guy who got all butt hurt because he wasn't taken in the first round, and was going to leave NY after the first day of the draft.   

I dont know if it was a dumb thing for Marshall to say or a dumb reaction by fans. I think @Charlie Brown has a point. 

first off it's just untrue.  if there was any truth to it sometimes the truth can hurt and that's ok but it's an asinine statement.  2nd, I am not worried about geno getting offended, he's a grown man playing the toughest position in ports and needs to have a thick skin but why throw a teammate under the bus to pump up another teammate?  it just doesn't make sense.

first off it's just untrue.  if there was any truth to it sometimes the truth can hurt and that's ok but it's an asinine statement.  2nd, I am not worried about geno getting offended, he's a grown man playing the toughest position in ports and needs to have a thick skin but why throw a teammate under the bus to pump up another teammate?  it just doesn't make sense.

I didnt say that it wasnt an asinine statement nor did I say that you were worried about Geno's feelings. I said that Charlie Brown has a point. 

If you really want to read between the lines, it's primarily a shot at Bowles. :) 

It means with the addition of

• Marshall (I take for granted he has a high opinion of himself)
  • Revis
  • Cromartie
  • Gilchrist
  • Skrine
  • Carpenter
  • L.Williams
  • a healthy-hammy Decker
  • a vast improvement from Pryor over his rookie season 
  • a 12-sack season from Mo
  • a 1300 (total) yard season from Ivory
  • a joke-easy schedule comparatively
  • Chan Gailey replacing Mornhinweg

With Ryan purposely/spitefully throwing the first Miami game last year, and all of the above improvements in personnel, he thinks that Bowles would get this team to still finish with no better than the same 4-12 record as last season?

Obviously Brandon Marshall thinks his head coach sucks. (Oh yeah, and Geno as well lol).

Really?  A jerk? 

Calling someone a jerk for making a joke is rude and makes you the one that needs to check what he writes.  Using your logic you could of said this a lot nicer.

Now will you rudely call the mod who made the same joke a jerk too? 

Just so I'm clear, you don't like people being rude to you but have no qualms being rude to others. 

What if someone called you a dick on your very first post here?  What would your opinion of JerNation be?  It was unnecessary and uncalled for. 

I will say nothing to Crusher, he has 700 lbs on me. 

In summation, stop being a jerk. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick who puts up the best QB season since Vinny and not getting respect for it. People will say " Vinnys ended better." Vinnys postseason was AWFUL 

he did not put up best season since Vinny.  franchise records when we threw a billion times w/ the most offense weapons we have had is nice but coming up short in biggest game before playoffs knocks it down.  had we won he moves to #3 behind Vinny and Chad '02 but he blew it(not all on him but he was terrible either way).

Just so I'm clear, you don't like people being rude to you but have no qualms being rude to others. 

What if someone called you a dick on your very first post here?  What would your opinion of JerNation be?  It was unnecessary and uncalled for. 

I will say nothing to Crusher, he has 700 lbs on me. 

In summation, stop being a jerk. 

I never complain about anyone being rude to me.  I may go back at them but I don't cry about it.  

Yes, I called Richard, Dick.  It was a joke.  I get worse here all the time.  Without the joking portion.  Others dish out worse all the time.

Again, a joke.  Dick, it's an alternative to Richard.  I won't ever call a Richard Dick again.  Because I'm not a jerk

he did not put up best season since Vinny.  franchise records when we threw a billion times w/ the most offense weapons we have had is nice but coming up short in biggest game before playoffs knocks it down.  had we won he moves to #3 behind Vinny and Chad '02 but he blew it(not all on him but he was terrible either way).

Chad 02 is kind of incomplete because he did not play the whole year. So that's why I say he  put up the best regular season for a QB since Vinny. Both had a great duo of Recievers, so neither should be penalized for them

Can't compare numbers from today to 02 anymore.

in 02 4 QBs passed for over 4,000 yards.  This season it was something like 12 with 2 or three just outside of 4,000.

Different game.  Have to compare only on what you saw in the games they played. 

Chad 02 is kind of incomplete because he did not play the whole year. So that's why I say he  put up the best regular season for a QB since Vinny. Both had a great duo of Recievers, so neither should be penalized for them

Chad brought us from 1-4/2-5 to a rare division title(the ONLY non NE div title in a year Brady was primary starter for NE).  That ranks well above Fitz.  I appreciate what he did and he was on the verge of moving up to #3 in all time QB seasons in my lifetime but he and the team blew it.  Chad had a nice WR corps, nothing close to Marshall/Decker.

Can't compare numbers from today to 02 anymore.

in 02 4 QBs passed for over 4,000 yards.  This season it was something like 12 with 2 or three just outside of 4,000.

Different game.  Have to compare only on what you saw in the games they played. 

and I think when evaluating QBs it's much more than #s anyway.  for me it's more about how the #s were accumulated than the actual accumulations.  Fitz had some great moments but in a QB friendly O w/ incredible weapons to throw w/ a weak sched he just couldn't come up short.  Now if we lost 37-30 and he did all he could to win Sunday I would give him credit for that but he was awful.  it was a team loss but when you throw a game changing type INT that will knock you down a few pegs. 

Didn't you also say that Tebow = Staubach?

Dick Staubach, not Roger his brother -it's good to be remembered ;) I was reaching cause I knew how bad Sanchez was in 2011-- I  wonder what Fitz's  lifetime record is vs winning teams -it's 1 and 7 vs rex--- Fitz looks good compared to Sanchez and Smith--he can take a snap and not fall down

All I truly care about is wins and losses and in the biggest game of the season, Fitz threw three ints including one in the endzone and just had an overall piss poor game.  He had a very good season but the truth is he came up small when the team needed him most.   The loss wasn't all on him; the defense struggled, there were numerous dropped passes, and Bowles did a lousy job as well.   A week later it still hurts.   

All I truly care about is wins and losses and in the biggest game of the season, Fitz threw three ints including one in the endzone and just had an overall piss poor game.  He had a very good season but the truth is he came up small when the team needed him most.   The loss wasn't all on him; the defense struggled, there were numerous dropped passes, and Bowles did a lousy job as well.   A week later it still hurts.   

How about the team helping Fitz? Truth is, he had been carrying the team for over a month. Had receivers made catches of simple passes, we likely win this game going away, not to mention the defense and special teams let downs. It is nice to play mistake riddled football and have your QB bail you out in the 4th Quarter...how about stepping up and making some plays and not putting your QB in that spot every single game. The Jets played a lousy game, players right down to coaching staff. Another effort like that, we would have been embarrassed in the playoffs.

How about the team helping Fitz? Truth is, he had been carrying the team for over a month. Had receivers made catches of simple passes, we likely win this game going away, not to mention the defense and special teams let downs. It is nice to play mistake riddled football and have your QB bail you out in the 4th Quarter...how about stepping up and making some plays and not putting your QB in that spot every single game. The Jets played a lousy game, players right down to coaching staff. Another effort like that, we would have been embarrassed in the playoffs.

He carried the team? How about the TEAM played great over the last month.  Players stepped up like Enunwa, Powell and Thompkins and had made big plays; the offensive line has been awesome as well over that stretch.  Bottom line is if Fitz doesn't throw that int in the end zone and we probably win as well.  As I said the loss wasn't all on him but lets not act like he had a good game because he didn't and neither did most of the team.  We are in agreement that the team played a lousy game and the coaching was awful.  

fitz is a bottom 5 qb in the league-sh*t even the texans cut him and in favor of other scrubs

Right, because the Texans are the gold standard organization when it comes to QB analysis.  Brian Hoyer just threw 4 picks in a 30-0 playoff loss, which they only got to because of JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, and the AFC South being the worst division in football by far.

By no metric was Fitz anywhere close to being a bottom 5 QB.  He's been a top 20 QB each of the last 3 seasons and around a Top 15 guy the last 2. 

Right, because the Texans are the gold standard organization when it comes to QB analysis.  Brian Hoyer just threw 4 picks in a 30-0 playoff loss, which they only got to because of JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins, and the AFC South being the worst division in football by far.

By no metric was Fitz anywhere close to being a bottom 5 QB.  He's been a top 20 QB each of the last 3 seasons and around a Top 15 guy the last 2. 

The texans were in that same sh*tty division last year with Fitzpatrick and missed the playoffs. They cut him and had like 2 or 3 different starters this season and MADE THE PLAYOFFS. Fitz came to the AFC East (again) and missed the playoffs. 

Hoyer threw 4 picks in his playoff loss, Fitzpatrick threw 3 picks in the 4th quarter to keep the Jets out of playoff contention. You cant be serious right now. 

By far?  I don't think there has been a division in football history that was worse than the 2015 NFC East by far.

By far?  I don't think there has been a division in football history that was worse than the 2015 NFC East by far.

AFC South was worse by a significant margin:

AFC South

Texans:  + 26 net points

Jaguars:  - 72

Colts:  - 75

Titans:  - 124

TOTAL:  - 245 net points

NFC East

Redskins:  + 9

Giants:  - 22

Eagles:  - 53

Cowboys:  - 99

TOTAL:  - 165 net points

TJ yates outplayed Ryan Fitz patrick that day and yates was facing the tougher defense in a game that ultimately cost us a playoff spot and earned Hou a playoff spot.

The texans were in that same sh*tty division last year with Fitzpatrick and missed the playoffs. They cut him and had like 2 or 3 different starters this season and MADE THE PLAYOFFS. Fitz came to the AFC East (again) and missed the playoffs. 

Hoyer threw 4 picks in his playoff loss, Fitzpatrick threw 3 picks in the 4th quarter to keep the Jets out of playoff contention. You cant be serious right now. 

First of all they won the division because it sucked this year and they won the division at 9-7; so in theory if we were in that division, we win at 10-6.

The didn't win the division last year since Luck was healthy all year, and the won the division; so this year with a healthy Luck, they likely win the division and Houston misses out again.

Fitz was the starter there when he got hurt and he was traded, not released (not too important, but hey facts are facts).

We play in a harder division; to win the South you needed 9 wins, we would have needed at least 12 to win the East; in fact, with their current record, the Texans wouldn't have made the playoffs if they played in any other division in the AFC; in fact, they would be 3rd in the other divisions. So, yes playing in a 'sh*tty' division def. helped them out.

Not to mention that their only competition was the Colts without Luck for a run, and 2 teams that finished worse than Miami.

But yeah, Fitz is the reason Houston made it this year and the Jets didn't.

AFC South was worse by a significant margin:

AFC South

Texans:  + 26 net points

Jaguars:  - 72

Colts:  - 75

Titans:  - 124

TOTAL:  - 245 net points

NFC East

Redskins:  + 9

Giants:  - 22

Eagles:  - 53

Cowboys:  - 99

TOTAL:  - 165 net points

the 2 divisions were similarly awful.

2014-2015 Texans:

6-6 w/ Ryan Fitz patrick

12-8 w/ all other QBs(which include Mallett, Yates, Hoyer, Weeden, Keenum)

First of all they won the division because it sucked this year and they won the division at 9-7; so in theory if we were in that division, we win at 10-6.

The didn't win the division last year since Luck was healthy all year, and the won the division; so this year with a healthy Luck, they likely win the division and Houston wins out

Fitz was the starter there when he got hurt and he was traded, not released (not too important, but hey facts are facts).

We play in a harder division; to win the South you needed 9 wins, we would have needed at least 12 to win the East; in fact, with their current record, the Texans wouldn't have made the playoffs if they played in any other division in the AFC; in fact, they would be 3rd in the other divisions. So, yes playing in a 'sh*tty' division def. helped them out.

Not to mention that their only competition was the Colts without Luck for a run, and 2 teams that finished worse than Miami.

But yeah, Fitz is the reason Houston made it this year and the Jets didn't.

So let me get this right, The Texans won the division because it sucked this year. So last year (When it didnt suck) and they had Fitzpatrick why didnt the Texans make the playoffs?

lol. 

Archived