Bryce Petty ~ ~ ~

kelly

I listened to Macc's radio interview last night. He reiterated his belief that you "draft a QB a year" but praised Petty. Which basically means he's nowhere near ready. My bet is we draft another QB and trade Geno. Petty at least deserves some pre-season snaps.

This is the perfect philosophy in my mind. Petty should not be ruled out to be a starter one day, so it's important to continue to invest in his development. If his ceiling is a backup, there's nothing wrong with that. A good backup QB is well worth a 4th round pick.

But in the meantime we still need to keep adding QBs in the draft and use Fitz as a "bridge". And we have to maximize our roster spots too: Carrying 4 QBs just isn't realistic. Geno is the odd man out.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not call Geno a quality #2. Sanchez either,a judging by why I saw in Philly.  A quality #2 QB is a good get in the 4 position of a draft

Exactly. People have no problem calling Sanchez/Geno "good backups" when they were former 1st and 2nd rounders.

Meanwhile, Petty gets called a backup in year 2 of his career, after being taken in the 4th, and all of a sudden he's worthless?

Not every QB a team drafts should carry the hopes of a franchise. We had fans here clamoring for a 7th rounder like McElroy or a UDFA in Simms to be "the guy". The disconnect there is astounding among a big portion of our fanbase.

That's why you don't stop adding QBs till you have a franchise guy. 

Why is it possible for Bryce Petty who has never taken a meaningful NFL snap to sit and learn behind Fitzpatrick but impossible for Geno Smith who has recorded a perfect game in an actual NFL game to not have the same consideration ?

This is the perfect philosophy in my mind. Petty should not be ruled out to be a starter one day, so it's important to continue to invest in his development. If his ceiling is a backup, there's nothing wrong with that. A good backup QB is well worth a 4th round pick.

But in the meantime we still need to keep adding QBs in the draft and use Fitz as a "bridge". And we have to maximize our roster spots too: Carrying 4 QBs just isn't realistic. Geno is the odd man out.

Why ?

Geno is 25 years old with  NFL experience

Petty is 24 yrs old with  no NFL experience

Both sat behind a Veteran QB for a yr

Both are under Contract cheaply for next season .

Shouldn't their play in camp decide who's the odd man out  ?

Again, I ask why ?

Why is it possible for Bryce Petty who has never taken a meaningful NFL snap to sit and learn behind Fitzpatrick but impossible for Geno Smith who has recorded a perfect game in an actual NFL game to not have the same consideration ?

Geno also had a 0.0 game as well.

This regime drafted Bryce Petty. They did not draft Geno. It's pretty simple.

What exactly does that have to do with who performs best when the opportunity prevents itself ?  Base on what you are saying, if Geno outplays Petty in training camp next season, the right thing for this regime to do would be to cut Geno and keep the player he out played because they drafted a worst player .  With this logic, I can now understand some of the conversations around here.

Jon Allen DL for bama is not entering draft, he was a possible selection at 20, he had 12 sacks and is beastly.

He played at Stonebridge in Northern Virginia.  Baby Crusher tackle him once on an end around. I think he committed  to Bama as a 6 grader.  LOL. Unbelievable prospect 

Geno played a "perfect" game against a team that had entirely quit for the season.

It's a shame Ryan Fitzpatrick couldn't play even a half way decent game against a Bills team that got clobbered the previous 2 weeks with everything on the line.  

Macc chooses his words wisely ... Petty is not the starter, Fitz is, and Macc is respecting that situation. The only spot Petty is competing for next year is exactly that ,the number 2 spot, so just look at it that way for now.

The words are not wise until he's re-signed Fitz and until the draft is over (or until after we've drafted/signed another QB or two. Right now Petty and Geno are the only QBs under contract. 

The wise thing would be to say nothing of any substance beyond some wishy washy "We like some things Bryce brings to the table..."

Geno also had a 0.0 game as well.

So he can be anything with time then can't he ?  You win in the NFL with the best players, not the players you draft that can't out play the players you didn't.  Keyshawn was an all world WR at USC and the Jets drafted him #1 overall .   Wayne Chrebet caught everything in sight at Hostra and set school records  but had to endure Free agency . Who was the better Jet  ?

Ken O'Brian, Vinny T., Favre, Chad and Fitz are all decent QB's.

Not Franchise HOF QB's, no.

But serviceable, winning-season, playoff-caliber QB's the lot.

Trying to claim there is no difference between these named guys, and Geno Smith, is pure comedy gold.

My biggest issue with Geno is the way the Jets shrunk when he stepped on the field against Oakland.  All I had to see. Next!!

My biggest issue with Geno is the way the Jets shrunk when he stepped on the field against Oakland.  All I had to see. Next!!

Was Geno "on the field" against Buffalo in 2016 .

Was he "on the field" against the Eagles ?

Was he "on the field" against the Jags  ?

Those are Games the Jets were expected to win . Maybe the stink of Geno Smith on the sidelines caused the awful football the Jets played in those games. 

By the way, what position on defense  did Geno Smith play ?

So he can be anything with time then can't he ?  You win in the NFL with the best players, not the players you draft that can't out play the players you didn't.  Keyshawn was an all world WR at USC and the Jets drafted him #1 overall .   Wayne Chrebet caught everything in sight at Hostra and set school records  but had to endure Free agency . Who was the better Jet  ?

Wayne Chrebet

Those are Games the Jets were expected to win . Maybe the stink of Geno Smith on the sidelines caused the awful football the Jets played in those games. 

We beat the Jags??

Wayne Chrebet

Well, Johnson had more catches, yards and TDs while they played together and then we got two firsts for him...

Trade Geno for what, a bag of footballs?

Please enlighten me as to which NFL team has interest in trading for Geno, please?

Hell if I know! Cowboys as back up to Romo? I just figured since there are so many garbage QB's he might have some value. But that probably wishful thinking.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What exactly does that have to do with who performs best when the opportunity prevents itself ?  Base on what you are saying, if Geno outplays Petty in training camp next season, the right thing for this regime to do would be to cut Geno and keep the player he out played because they drafted a worst player .  With this logic, I can now understand some of the conversations around here.

good news is Geno won't be in training camp this year.  

By the way folks, it's my hope that both Geno Smith and Bryce Petty play lights out next training camp.  Having an asset someone might want is worth more to my Jets than my personal agenda.

My hope is the failed experiment that is Geno Smith is cut this offseason.

I hope we draft another QB.

I hope Fitz has one more great year in him.

I hope Petty grows into a Franchise QB, and a few Super Bowls.

I hope if Petty can't, then whomever we draft does.

I hope Geno Smith goes to the Bills, and fails miserably, causing Rex to be fired.

Thats what I hope for.

Shrunk.  His mere presence sucked the life out of the team.   Hell they lost like next 3.  Let's not do that again.

My hope is the failed experiment that is Geno Smith is cut this offseason.

I hope we draft another QB.

I hope Fitz has one more great year in him.

I hope Petty grows into a Franchise QB, and a few Super Bowls.

I hope if Petty can't, then whomever we draft does.

I hope Geno Smith goes to the Bills, and fails miserably, causing Rex to be fired.

Thats what I hope for.

There's a lot of bitterness and sadness in your post .I hope what happens on a football field on Sundays is not all your life is about.

Well, Johnson had more catches, yards and TDs while they played together and then we got two firsts for him...

For being the #1Overall NFL draft pick compared to a walk on the difference wasn't significant.  Chrebet was Mr. 3rd down with a super work ethic and an everyman quality, whereas keyshawn was a me, me, me and only me type of guy... I didn't hate keyshawn I just found him to be selfish & annoying.  That win over tampa with Chrebet catching the winning TD was Priceless. 

Archived