Jets had the oldest Offensive Line in the NFL 2015

joewilly12

Our affiliate site Pats Pulpit did a study adjusted for snaps on the age of every offensive line in the NFL. The Jets they found had the oldest offensive line in the league. Here were the bottom five.

28 Steelers 28.3
29 Saints 28.4
30 Eagles 28.5
31 49ers 28.6
32 Jets 29.2

It is one thing to be old. It is another to be expensive. It is another to be ineffective. Unfortunately, the Jets were all three. That is the worst possible trio in the NFL. It seems pretty clear that the Jets need an infusion of youth in the line soon. That means in the form of premium Draft picks. It also means they need to hit on development projects of a guard or two (Brent Qvale? Jarvis Harrison?)

The last few premium picks the team has invested in the line, Vladimir Ducasse and Brian Winters, have not panned out.

There have been some recent success stories in developing young players. They were Matt Slauson and Austin Howard. Unfortunately, John Idzik decided it was a good idea to let both of these guys go when he could have afforded them and that Breno Giacomini was worth a sizable investment.

All of this leaves the Jets were they are today.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets also have the 5th oldest roster in the NFL.

You don't win in the NFL with a bunch of old guys.

You are trolling but in this case correct. Lots of Jets fans here think they just need to fill some holes with elite FA, resign MO and start Fitz again and we can make a run. Incorrect, Jets are really old and slow. We need to turn over half our roster this year.,

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You are trolling but in this case correct. Lots of Jets fans here think they just need to fill some holes with elite FA, resign MO and start Fitz again and we can make a run. Incorrect, Jets are really old and slow. We need to turn over half our roster this year.,

We have no RB on the current on roster we have 2 QBs Smith and Petty Fitzpatrick isn't the answer I dont care if he plays for free. 

Our OL is the oldest and slowest in the NFL 

Not sure how you think I am trolling when all I did was post facts.

And you are correct, the Jets have the slowest team in the NFL on both sides of the ball.

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets also have the 5th oldest roster in the NFL.

You don't win in the NFL with a bunch of old guys.

Didn't you guys win it all in 2001 with the Geriatric Jets in Timmy's 1st year? The avg. Starters' age for the Pats was 27.5 years old and 27.1 yo for the 53 man roster. Experience counts for something; some call it savviness.

I'd like to see the Jets draft the best LT at #20 and give him every opportunity to start and then move Brick over perhaps to RT or RG. I would hate to see the Jets let Ferguson just go. He is a smart player with I believe a future in coaching who could be a great mentor to whoever they decide on as his replacement. Willie Colon, IMO is D.O.N.E. done.

56 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I'd like to see the Jets draft the best LT at #20 and give him every opportunity to start and then move Brick over perhaps to RT or RG. I would hate to see the Jets let Ferguson just go. He is a smart player with I believe a future in coaching who could be a great mentor to whoever they decide on as his replacement. Willie Colon, IMO is D.O.N.E. done.

Brick is not a RT.  He's at his best pass blocking, not run blocking.  Putting him at RT negates his best attribute, and shows up his worst.  I do hope the Jets go O Line at 20, and possibly even again in the 3rd if the pick there warrants it.

Just now, chirorob said:

Brick is not a RT.  He's at his best pass blocking, not run blocking.  Putting him at RT negates his best attribute, and shows up his worst.  I do hope the Jets go O Line at 20, and possibly even again in the 3rd if the pick there warrants it.

He was playing RT when Vick was in there

Issue #1 is the cost of DBrick, something one way or another will have to be done about that.  Giacomini will be cut, and not hard to replace, the interior will have competition but is still good enough for now.  If people think this oline is that bad they have not been watching the real retched olines in this league.  If we do move on from dBrick expect to etiher use lots of resources over a number of years or exepct to be wishing we had a real LT when he is gone.  It is not easy to replace a reliable if unspectacular LT.

uickWinters is 24 years old

Qvale is 24 years old

Carpenter is 27 years old

Dozier is 24 years old

Johnson is 24 years old

within those names are 2 potential centers, 2 starting guards and 1 supposedly highly thought of tackle by the coaching staff and front office.  I think we're going to be OK and even more so if we draft a certain tackle from Michigan State.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Issue #1 is the cost of DBrick, something one way or another will have to be done about that.  Giacomini will be cut, and not hard to replace, the interior will have competition but is still good enough for now.  If people think this oline is that bad they have not been watching the real retched olines in this league.  If we do move on from dBrick expect to etiher use lots of resources over a number of years or exepct to be wishing we had a real LT when he is gone.  It is not easy to replace a reliable if unspectacular LT.

Quick, name me the starting LT for the Giants in both their SB win with Eli.

17 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's simply not true. They were below average at RG, RT and LT. 

Fitz was sacked something less than 20 times last season? I know Fitz and his awareness has a lot to do with that but I don't know how you could call that below average...

when the Eagles cut Evan Mathis, all the papers talked about how Evan Mathis was the oldest starting guard in the NFL.  the fans bought it. Age = terrible in the NFL so whatever Chip Kelly was doing, made sense. 

Fast foward a few months the Eagles never found a replacement at guard and ended the year so horridly, everyone got fired. Meanwhile Evan Mathis won a Super Bowl ring with Denver. 

My point? Age and effective offensive line play are not mutually exclusive. In fact, these young draft picks (Eric Fisher, Greg Robinson, Matt Kalil, Luke Joeckel, Jake Matthews etc) have almost all been disappointments. 

OL is a man's position not a boy's position. The Jets do need to plan for the future but expecting rookies and p-squad guys to be just as good is a fool's errand. 

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Fitz was sacked something less than 20 times last season? I know Fitz and his awareness has a lot to do with that but I don't know how you could call that below average...

You know there is more to offensive line play than just sack count, right? Fitz was under pressure a lot, the running game struggled, and they just weren't very good for big stretches of the games and season.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Quick, name me the starting LT for the Giants in both their SB win with Eli.

Quick name the starting LT for the Pasts when they got killed by the broncos and Brady got his ass beat.  quick name me the starting LT for carolina when they got their butts handed to them in the super bowl.  .....Seahawks......packers.....

It's easy to poo pah the value of a solid LT when you have been lulled into a false sense of security by years of soild play with ZERO injuries.  Tons of teams in this league LT journeys  look like this:

- Sign an LT in fa becasue you don't want to spend a high pick on one.  The guy sucks your QB gets killed for two years.

- Finally use a top 10 pick to get a franchise LT, he plays great year one then gets hurt.  gets hurt again, leaves via Fa,

- Draft another LT but find out the guy can only play RT or guard or draft a LT and the guy is a huge bust.

All some of us are saying is be careful what you wish for, there is more to a LT than just a big salary and somewhat diminishing play.  Want to get rid of D'Brick?  By all means, just be ready for that position to A) suddenly become the biggest priority to fill and B Be ready for it to be a possible multi years of pain process to replace him.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

uickWinters is 24 years old

Qvale is 24 years old

Carpenter is 27 years old

Dozier is 24 years old

Johnson is 24 years old

within those names are 2 potential centers, 2 starting guards and 1 supposedly highly thought of tackle by the coaching staff and front office.  I think we're going to be OK and even more so if we draft a certain tackle from Michigan State.

Winters - elcrapollo

Qvale - dunno

Dozier - dunno

Johnson - dunno

Yea I'm not feeling very confident about our OL if we don't pick up some players

Archived