Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

58 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It was a fun ride.  But ultimately a failure.  In my opinion, to double-down (or more like triple or quadruple-down) on Fitz is a huge step in the wrong direction.

Take a look at that highlight vid of all the 2016 touchdowns and really look at the Marshall TDs.  They guy is insane.  A QB only needs to place the ball somewhere in a 12' radius and it's a completion/TD.  Decker is great too, but not quite as freakish.

Geno will light up the scoreboard with those two.  Plus be able to involve some of the speedsters too.  

Hell with Marshall to throw to, you or I could probably be pretty good red zone QBs.

It's not a failure if you attain a 10-6 and won 5 straight games going into the final game. Look, to expect the Jets to win six in a row after a 4-12 is expecting a lot. How many teams won 6 in a row all season long. The odds are in a streak like that a team is going to be flat. Too bad it was the last game. This idea of failure if you don't make the playoffs and that you suck if you don't can apply to every player then, not just the Qb.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

What about those 3 INTs in a row in the final game against Buffalo that would have sent us to the playoffs if we won. You guys want to beat a dead horse about Geno and IK I can do the same damn thing. 6 teams in 11 years 0 playoff appearances..........the beat goes on. 

Again when a team is trailing in a game they throw the ball and it's predictable. And the percentage stats on picks are much higher in those game situations. Plus two of those picks were in the last few minutes of the game. I'm not giving any excuses for Fitz. The team came out flat but not just Fitz, everybody. But give them credit they were in the game until the very end. I know a lot of our fans were crushed by that L and some of you blame it all on Fitz. Even Willie Colon said the team was not up for the game and it wasn't on Fitz alone. 

17 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not a failure if you attain a 10-6 and won 5 straight games going into the final game. Look, to expect the Jets to win six in a row after a 4-12 is expecting a lot. How many teams won 6 in a row all season long. The odds are in a streak like that a team is going to be flat. Too bad it was the last game. This idea of failure if you don't make the playoffs and that you suck if you don't can apply to every player then, not just the Qb.

Since you asked the Cards,Panthers,Bengals,Packers and Chiefs and some others did 5 like the Jets..:)

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Since you asked the Cards,Panthers,Bengals,Packers and Chiefs and some others did 5 like the Jets..:)

OK good. So how many did six? And all of those teams were playoff teams rated higher going into the season than us except maybe the Panthers who had a great season. Winning six straight for any team is not easy. It's difficult for players to keep that focus in a contact sport like football. Or any sport. You see great NBA teams even the Warriors come out flat and lose to inferior competition. But imo the Bills are not an inferior team. Their big move during the season was at Qb and it worked out. They took a huge chance on an unknown Qb. You have to give Rex credit for that one. And now they won't re-sign the guy, at least for the present. 

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Again when a team is trailing in a game they throw the ball and it's predictable. And the percentage stats on picks are much higher in those game situations. Plus two of those picks were in the last few minutes of the game. I'm not giving any excuses for Fitz. The team came out flat but not just Fitz, everybody. But give them credit they were in the game until the very end. I know a lot of our fans were crushed by that L and some of you blame it all on Fitz. Even Willie Colon said the team was not up for the game and it wasn't on Fitz alone. 

They were trailing because of Fitzpatrick's poor play all damn game, those 3 INTs in a row 6 teams in 11 years...........

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They were trailing because of Fitzpatrick's poor play all damn game, those 3 INTs in a row 6 teams in 11 years...........

There were no picks before the 4th quarter. He kept us in that game even though the offense didn't play well especially Fitz. Coaches will take that.

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There were no picks before the 4th quarter. He kept us in that game even though the offense didn't play well especially Fitz. Coaches will take that.

Disagree the QB is the single most important person on the field and he failed to get us ahead when he could have and then he threw 3 INTs in a row in futile comeback attempt. 

6 teams in 11 years and he has never made the playoffs. 

See I can play too like the Geno haters who keep bringing up IK and the punch. 

16oQL_s-200x150.gif

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree the QB is the single most important person on the field and he failed to get us ahead when he could have and then he threw 3 INTs in a row in futile comeback attempt. 

6 teams in 11 years and he has never made the playoffs. 

See I can play too like the Geno haters who keep bringing up IK and the punch. 

16oQL_s-200x150.gif

I'm not a Geno  hater. He gives us at this time our second best chance to win in 2016. I'd love to see what he can do---in the exhibition season. The regular season isn't for number 2s., 

5/14/16.  the day dick cimini was actually useful

This much we know: They'll have to create some cap space to sign him, regardless of the structure. They can restructure a couple of contracts, starting with Buster Skrine. His $6.5 million salary already is guaranteed, which makes it easier to re-work the deal. If they drop his base to $760,000 and give him the rest in a signing bonus, they'd lower his cap charge from $7.75 million to $3.9 million -- a $3.85 million savings. They did pretty much the same thing with James Carpenter in March.

Eric Decker is due to make a non-guaranteed $6.5 million, so they also can save $3.85 million with a simple restructuring. It would reduce his cap charge from $8 million to $4.15 million. Between Decker and Skrine, you're talking about close to $8 million in additional cap space.

They could go to Brandon Marshall (a max $4.3 million cap savings), but you're always reluctant to approach players over 30 because there's a good chance they will be released before their contract expires. And you know what that means: The team's cap gets hammered with the money it pushed to the back end of the contract by restructuring. The same theory applies to Darrelle Revis, who has a team-high $17 million cap charge. In Marshall's case, it would be somewhat palatable because there's no pro-rated signing bonus counting on the cap; it's just base salary.

Another way to add cap room would be to sign Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term contract by the July 15 deadline, but that appears unlikely. Barring a deal, the Jets will carry Wilkerson's $15.7 million franchise tender into the season. That's not good cap management, but there are other issues involved with a potential Wilkerson deal.

You know it's possible that the Jets are purposely protracting the negotiations with Fitzpatrick.  Maybe they don't want him signed right now giving Geno more reps in OTAs and in the upcoming mini-camp to see how he looks.  If he looks good they may not sign Fitz or, conversely, if he looks bad they may give greater urgency to sign him.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

You know it's possible that the Jets are purposely protracting the negotiations with Fitzpatrick.  Maybe they don't want him signed right now giving Geno more reps in OTAs and in the upcoming mini-camp to see how he looks.  If he looks good they may not sign Fitz or, conversely, if he looks bad they may give greater urgency to sign him.

I don't think so. They pretty much know what Geno can do. Not 100% sure since he didn't play in games last year. This is all about money and cap space. Either they really can't get together on a contract so far or they are playing games and skirting around the rules (kind of like you know who) to delay things until they get the space they want to have to sign him. Right now they are using their meager funds on the books to sign draft picks. 

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Hope that's the case.  It'd be sort of a mini put up or shut up thing.  Give Geno a chance to show he deserves to be the starter w/o just handing him the job.

If Geno looks like crap (which I seriously doubt) and Hack n Petty aren't ready (most likely)... fine then ya pay Fitz.  Just please don't go over 7mil.

But if they give Geno the shot, I'm willing to bet he kills it.  Top 15 QB for sure in 2016.

21 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hope that's the case.  It'd be sort of a mini put up or shut up thing.  Give Geno a chance to show he deserves to be the starter w/o just handing him the job.

If Geno looks like crap (which I seriously doubt) and Hack n Petty aren't ready (most likely)... fine then ya pay Fitz.  Just please don't go over 7mil.

But if they give Geno the shot, I'm willing to bet he kills it.  Top 15 QB for sure in 2016.

What has Geno shown you to make you think he can kill it, and be a top 15 QB? I'm not saying he can't, I just have not seen anything at all that makes me think he can. I'd love to be optimistic, so help a brother out here. Oh, and hope is not a strategy.

24 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

What has Geno shown you to make you think he can kill it, and be a top 15 QB? I'm not saying he can't, I just have not seen anything at all that makes me think he can. I'd love to be optimistic, so help a brother out here. Oh, and hope is not a strategy.

The end of 2014.  The only time he had a legit healthy 1.5 WR in Decker.  He looked pretty darn good.  Add the new coach, coordinator, Brandon Freakin-Marshall, a FT healthy Decker, Devin, Forte and a solid D to back him up?  There's no reason to think he won't kill it.

Plus he's already been though the crap.  Two seasons playing in a horrible situation when he should've sat at least his first year.  Now he finally got the chance to sit a season (though admittedly for unconventional reasons).  It's only uphill from here if he's given a chance.

Will he be perfect?  Of course not.  There'll still be some growing pains and bone head plays, but I honestly believe he will light it up and shock the league.  

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

The end of 2014.  The only time he had a legit healthy 1.5 WR in Decker.  He looked pretty darn good.  Add the new coach, coordinator, Brandon Freakin-Marshall, a FT healthy Decker, Devin, Forte and a solid D to back him up?  There's no reason to think he won't kill it.

Plus he's already been though the crap.  Two seasons playing in a horrible situation when he should've sat at least his first year.  Now he finally got the chance to sit a season (though admittedly for unconventional reasons).  It's only uphill from here if he's given a chance.

Will he be perfect?  Of course not.  There'll still be some growing pains and bone head plays, but I honestly believe he will light it up and shock the league.  

The thing is, there are about 10 people on the planet who can play the QB position at a high level at any point in time. I have seen nothing, including the things you mention, that make me think he is one of the 10 on the planet. 

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

The thing is, there are about 10 people on the planet who can play the QB position at a high level at any point in time. I have seen nothing, including the things you mention, that make me think he is one of the 10 on the planet. 

But ya think Fitz is one of those 10?

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

No, I dont, but that was not be topic, you said Geno is going to kill it, I said I don't think he is capable of killing it, this has nothing to do at all with Fitz

Gotcha.  Maybe just figuring "killing it" differently.  After Geno's first two seasons, being a top 15 QB would be "killing it" to me.  

I'm not saying the guy is gonna be Drew Brees in his prime or anything.

(Yet.)

5 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not a Geno  hater. He gives us at this time our second best chance to win in 2016. I'd love to see what he can do---in the exhibition season. The regular season isn't for number 2s., 

Thats correct Fitzpatrick is a #2 at best on 31 other NFL teams...............including the Jets which would equal 32 

3 INTs in a row costing us the playoffs, 6 teams in 11 years..........

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Time to make a move: The Jets say there's no rush to sign quarterbackRyan Fitzpatrick -- they're willing to wait until training camp -- but their patience could backfire. They'd be limiting their options by letting this contract impasse drag out until late July.While there is some upside to Fitzpatrick's absence -- more off-season reps forGeno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg -- it doesn't justify a potentially messy end-game. If there's no Fitzpatrick deal by late July and they decide to move on, the Jets will have wasted valuable time that could've been used to break in another veteran quarterback.

On May 24, they start four weeks of offseason practices. If they complete that period with only Smith and the two kids at quarterback, the Jets are basically handing the opening-day job to Smith. You can't expect a quarterback to parachute into New Jersey in July, master the offense and win the starting job by Week 1. Coach Todd Bowles apparently is willing to hitch his wagon to Smith despite his 11-18 career record and 72.3 passer rating. That's risky.You could argue that, at this stage of the offseason, Smith is a better starting option than anybody around the league -- i.e. Nick Foles and Josh McCown, both of whom could be cut or traded. OK, but what about securing Geno insurance? Petty isn't ready to be the No. 2, and neither is Hackenberg. If the Jets wait until late July or early August to trade for a quarterback, they won't be in a good negotiating position and will wind up overpaying.

The Jets have a plan and they're sticking to it. They claim there's no sense of urgency, but I'm not buying that. I think there's more than they're willing to admit.

rest of above article  :

>        http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60375/slow-playing-the-ryan-fitzpatrick-situation-could-backfire-on-jets

12 minutes ago, kelly said:

1. Time to make a move: The Jets say there's no rush to sign quarterbackRyan Fitzpatrick -- they're willing to wait until training camp -- but their patience could backfire. They'd be limiting their options by letting this contract impasse drag out until late July.While there is some upside to Fitzpatrick's absence -- more off-season reps forGeno Smith, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg -- it doesn't justify a potentially messy end-game. If there's no Fitzpatrick deal by late July and they decide to move on, the Jets will have wasted valuable time that could've been used to break in another veteran quarterback.

On May 24, they start four weeks of offseason practices. If they complete that period with only Smith and the two kids at quarterback, the Jets are basically handing the opening-day job to Smith. You can't expect a quarterback to parachute into New Jersey in July, master the offense and win the starting job by Week 1. Coach Todd Bowles apparently is willing to hitch his wagon to Smith despite his 11-18 career record and 72.3 passer rating. That's risky.You could argue that, at this stage of the offseason, Smith is a better starting option than anybody around the league -- i.e. Nick Foles and Josh McCown, both of whom could be cut or traded. OK, but what about securing Geno insurance? Petty isn't ready to be the No. 2, and neither is Hackenberg. If the Jets wait until late July or early August to trade for a quarterback, they won't be in a good negotiating position and will wind up overpaying.

The Jets have a plan and they're sticking to it. They claim there's no sense of urgency, but I'm not buying that. I think there's more than they're willing to admit.

rest of above article  :

>        http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60375/slow-playing-the-ryan-fitzpatrick-situation-could-backfire-on-jets

Thanks for the post.....

I am just happy that a beat writer like Cimini knows for "real" what is going on and that he by his own admission doesn't have to bother listening to what the Jets FO is saying, he can just make it up as he goes along.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

rest of above article  :

Cimini is certainly problematic as a general matter.  But what he says here makes complete sense.  At some point probably sooner than later the Jets will be limiting their options significantly by failing to take action.  And here's the related point - even if you think Smith MIGHT work out as the starter, do the Jets really want to take that chance, find out he has not improved, and then look at either leaving a train wreck in there or going to an unprepared Petty or even Hackenberg? 

Smith Fans don't want to think about that because they don't want any competition for him in camp.  They are willing to take the chance he doesn't work out and there's no vet Qb on the roster to replace him.  I think that is crazy, ESPECIALLY considering what a sh!t Qb he has been.  But even without that especially part, it makes no sense to put all your eggs in the Smith basket.  With no insurance.

Add in what Cimini does not mention - that failing to look at other options actually increases leverage for Fitzpatrick and his agent, and the Jet FO increasingly looks like it does not know what it is doing.

Unless.. unless they go ahead and sign Fitz to a fair deal and put all this crap behind us.

On May 14, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Mike135 said:

Geno? You are dreaming. Nice that your fantasy can continue deeper into the offseason as the front office restructures to bring back our qb.

Do you honestly think that Woody is willing to trot Geno out there as starter? I has no respect from his teammates let alone the majority of the fan base, not too mention he makes more careless mistakes than even Mark Sanchez. 

End discussion.....or we can keep talking about it until Fitz is inevitably signed.

9 minutes ago, mickeyshuler said:

Geno? You are dreaming. Nice that your fantasy can continue deeper into the offseason as the front office restructures to bring back our qb.

Do you honestly think that Woody is willing to trot Geno out there as starter? I has no respect from his teammates let alone the majority of the fan base, not too mention he makes more careless mistakes than even Mark Sanchez. 

End discussion.....or we can keep talking about it until Fitz is inevitably signed.

That's one of the benefits of the Fitz vs Geo poll.  Darn near 70% of us would prefer to see Geno start vs paying Fitz more than 7mil.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

That's one of the benefits of the Fitz vs Geo poll.  Darn near 70% of us would prefer to see Geno start vs paying Fitz more than 7mil.

Really???? Cause 2 of the 3 choices actually lean or are completely pro Fitz. Not gonna respond further, this is a joke no chance Geno ever starts here again barring a mini camp injury

Just now, mickeyshuler said:

Really???? Cause 2 of the 3 choices actually lean or are completely pro Fitz. Not gonna respond further, this is a joke no chance Geno ever starts here again barring a mini camp injury

OK, thanks for your opinion.

36 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Cimini is certainly problematic as a general matter.  But what he says here makes complete sense.  At some point probably sooner than later the Jets will be limiting their options significantly by failing to take action.  And here's the related point - even if you think Smith MIGHT work out as the starter, do the Jets really want to take that chance, find out he has not improved, and then look at either leaving a train wreck in there or going to an unprepared Petty or even Hackenberg? 

Smith Fans don't want to think about that because they don't want any competition for him in camp.  They are willing to take the chance he doesn't work out and there's no vet Qb on the roster to replace him.  I think that is crazy, ESPECIALLY considering what a sh!t Qb he has been.  But even without that especially part, it makes no sense to put all your eggs in the Smith basket.  With no insurance.

Add in what Cimini does not mention - that failing to look at other options actually increases leverage for Fitzpatrick and his agent, and the Jet FO increasingly looks like it does not know what it is doing.

Unless.. unless they go ahead and sign Fitz to a fair deal and put all this crap behind us.

Except that he says it would be a miracle situation for a QB to parachute into NJ in July and get the starting job. If Fitz was so truly hobbled all spring and into the early summer, then that sounds eerily like the situation that happened last year (though the circumstances were obviously different).

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except that he says it would be a miracle situation for a QB to parachute into NJ in July and get the starting job. If Fitz was so truly hobbled all spring and into the early summer, then that sounds eerily like the situation that happened last year (though the circumstances were obviously different).

except that he knew the offense, which doesn't matter at all....

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He still knows it now, no?

But Cimini apparently was talking about a different Qb, a vet who unlike Fitzpatrick (who of course got the job in part because Smith went and got his jaw broken) would want to join the team with a shot at starting with a limited time to learn the offense, compete for the job and win it.  And probably either no understanding how much he would really get to play compared to Smith and the others.

I don't think the concept is that complicated.  It doesn't sound like an attractive situation to sign up for to me.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

But Cimini apparently was talking about a different Qb, a vet who unlike Fitzpatrick (who of course got the job in part because Smith went and got his jaw broken) would want to join the team with a shot at starting with a limited time to learn the offense, compete for the job and win it.  And probably either no understanding how much he would really get to play compared to Smith and the others.

I don't think the concept is that complicated.  It doesn't sound like an attractive situation to sign up for to me.

I didn't read it that closely and presumed he was talking about Fitzpatrick returning in July, because I stopped reading at that point.

But come on, like this offense is difficult to take in. A QB could play connect the dots with his targets in his line of sight and nearly end up with a single straight line half the time. If they can play in another offense they can play in this one. QBs get acquired late or even mid-season and are up and ready within 2 weeks, in more complex offenses than this one.

Kyle Orton - Kyle Orton - was picked up on like August 29th and was named the starting QB before September was finished. And that's with ZERO sharing of 1st team reps because the season was already underway. In July is still a couple of weeks before the first preseason game (where the starter hardly plays anyway). Last year Fitzpatrick threw 3 passes in our 1st preseason game. On the other side, Matt Stafford threw 2.

July is plenty of time if the QB is at all worth adding to the roster IMO.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't read it that closely and presumed he was talking about Fitzpatrick returning in July, because I stopped reading at that point.

But come on, like this offense is difficult to take in. A QB could play connect the dots with his targets in his line of sight and nearly end up with a single straight line half the time. If they can play in another offense they can play in this one. QBs get acquired late or even mid-season and are up and ready within 2 weeks, in more complex offenses than this one.

Kyle Orton - Kyle Orton - was picked up on like August 29th and was named the starting QB before September was finished. And that's with ZERO sharing of 1st team reps because the season was already underway. In July is still a couple of weeks before the first preseason game (where the starter hardly plays anyway). Last year Fitzpatrick threw 3 passes in our 1st preseason game. On the other side, Matt Stafford threw 2.

July is plenty of time if the QB is at all worth adding to the roster IMO.

I wasn't only talking about the timing.  I think the difficulty would be in the combination of factors.  And ftr I thought Orton was a pretty good Qb.

Archived