Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mike135 said:

That's one of the benefits of the Fitz vs Geo poll.  Darn near 70% of us would prefer to see Geno start vs paying Fitz more than 7mil.

it also means, @7m , 70% of the board want to see geno on the bench

6 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I wasn't only talking about the timing.  I think the difficulty would be in the combination of factors.  And ftr I thought Orton was a pretty good Qb.

That was my point. He did a (generally) good job despite only getting added to the team on August 29th.

No argument from me that the earlier the better, but if someone else is added in July it seems that would be just fine.

-- Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, whose reunion with Ryan Fitzpatrick helped the New York Jets to their best offensive season in more than a decade, claimed Monday he's not fretting about the outcome of the quarterback's highly-publicized contract stalemate with the organization."I can't worry about that stuff," said Gailey at Jets linebacker David Harris' charity golf event, where he spoke to reporters for the first time since the end of the season. "I coach whoever walks in the door. That's what you have to do. We all know what he did for us last year. We all know what we think he can do this year.

"[The impasse] is the business side," he continued. "I'm worried about the football side."

Fitzpatrick's contract situation has become the theme of the offseason. Players such as Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker have lobbied for Fitzpatrick's return, but the two sides remain far apart on a new contract.The Jets are counting Fitzpatrick's strong relationship with Gailey as a selling point. Prior to last season, Fitzpatrick's best as a pro, they were together from 2010 to 2012 with the Buffalo Bills.With three quarterbacks on the roster, the Jets already have the makings of a controversy. The newcomer is rookie Christian Hackenberg, whom they drafted in the second round.

Gailey, who was involved in the pre-draft evaluation of Hackenberg, said the former Penn State starter has "a great deal of potential." Gailey praised his arm strength and intelligence, saying he's not concerned about Hackenberg's mediocre 2014 and 2015 seasons."You try not to put a guy in a box," he said. "You try to make sure you keep an open mind and give him an opportunity to show what he can do. Every quarterback has their ups and downs. He's not by himself in that respect, so you're looking at the potential.

"Mike [Maccagnan] and Todd [Bowles] thought the potential was there," Gailey added, referring to the Jets' general manager and coach.The Jets have been coy about whether they expect Hackenberg to compete for playing time as a rookie. Gailey declined to speculate, saying, "I don't have that answer. If I had an answer, I'd be in high demand."Their crowded quarterback room also includes Geno Smith, currently atop the depth chart, and Bryce Petty. Team officials have said they could carry four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, which would be unconventional.

Petty, who didn't play last season as a fourth-round pick, has made "big strides in one year," Gailey said. Smith has "made great steps, too."Smith blew off reporters at the golf outing, but Petty addressed Hackenberg's arrival."I have to go out and prove that they made the right choice the year before, and whatever happens, happens," Petty said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15564595/chan-gailey-new-york-jets-not-fretting-ryan-fitzpatrick-talks

By now, you should know how the New York Jets feel about Ryan Fitzpatrick. The general manager wants him back, the coach wants him back and the players (those who have spoken publicly) want him back, too. Many have expressed cautious optimism. On Tuesday night, Eric Decker took it a step further.

Decker, a close friend of the quarterback, said he expects Fitzpatrick to be under center when the Jets open the season Sept. 11 against the Cincinnati Bengals. But he thinks the contract stalemate could last another couple of months."I believe it's Fitzpatrick," Decker said in an interview on the NFL Network, when asked to predict the Jets' opening-day starter. "Right now, it's a business and they're so far off in dollar amount, but Ryan wants to be back, they want Ryan back. Something is going to happen. It might be before training camp, the day or two before, but I believe that he'll be back on the team come this fall."

The Jets haven't presented Fitzpatrick with a hard deadline (we think), but they've dropped strong hints about wanting to have a resolution by the start of training camp in late July. They begin off-season practices next Wednesday, which run for four weeks, but the Jets have said it's not imperative that Fitzpatrick be a participant. He knows Chan Gailey's offense, and he proved last season he could succeed without much practice in the offseason. He was limited last spring due to a surgically repaired broken leg.Decker's training-camp hunch might turn out to be correct. The NFL is a deadline-oriented industry, as many deals don't get done until the 11th hour. Fitzpatrick has only one suitor -- the Jets -- and that probably won't change unless a team suffers an injury over the next few weeks. It means the staring contest could last another two months.

Earlier Tuesday, in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, Decker took a pragmatic approach on the matter."All I can say is we have to move on without him right now because they are stuck where they are with the business decision, where they want to go with the money, who's going to break," said Decker, speaking from the NFL broadcasting bootcamp at NFL Films in New Jersey. "But, again, we have a job to do and that's to be the best football team, field the best football team, of who we have in the locker room right now."

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60437/jets-eric-decker-predicts-ryan-fitzpatricks-return-in-july

ian Rapoport is out with a new report that a "legitimate deadline" for both sides to reach a deal in the Ryan Fitzpatrick saga might be a week from today. The Jets begin their OTA's on May 24 so it would be nice to have the starting quarterbacksigned by then.

Rapoport's report has an interesting twist. He states that, "Fitzpatrick wants to get a littlemore money out of the organization," that what the Jets are offering. The wording is a bit unclear, but it is possibly a signal Fitzpatrick is about to come off his original demands, which none of the 32 teams have been willing to meet.

For their part, the Jets have publicly stated they view training camp as a deadline for signing Fitzpatrick. For a veteran who knows the system, that seems like a more logical deadline to me. Fitzpatrick does not really need OTA's. It is still worth considering what Rapoport has to say.

>     http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/5/17/11696602/ian-rapoport-deadline-for-ryan-fitzpatrick-and-jets-might-be-may-24

Decker, a close friend of the quarterback, said he expects Fitzpatrick to be under center when the Jets open the season Sept. 11 against the Cincinnati Bengals. But he thinks the contract stalemate could last another couple of months."I believe it's Fitzpatrick," Decker said in an interview on the NFL Network, when asked to predict the Jets' opening-day starter. "Right now, it's a business and they're so far off in dollar amount, but Ryan wants to be back, they want Ryan back. Something is going to happen. It might be before training camp, the day or two before, but I believe that he'll be back on the team come this fall."

The Jets haven't presented Fitzpatrick with a hard deadline (we think), but they've dropped strong hints about wanting to have a resolution by the start of training camp in late July.

Starting to get a "veteran doesn't want to do OTA's" vibe with reporting like this.

There is still alot of smoke about the Jets, FO/Coach/Players, wanting Fitz back.  Too much for there to be no fire.

If the organization was ready to let it go, I think it'd be more clear by now that was the case, and the Jets would make that "moving on from Fitz" public and clear-cut.

Guess we're stuck with the will they/won't they till the start of Camp at the least, eh.

Anytime a team signs a player to a contract they are taking a chance: the player doesn't live up to the contract or he gets injured. Now Fitz did sign a starters deal with the Bills and didn't live up to it. But he went the backup route with several teams, started a lot of games and played well including here. So to me he's worth taking a chance on but not for 16 mil a year which is right now market rate for a starter and that's on the lower end. But 10 per is a good signing. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Anytime a team signs a player to a contract they are taking a chance: the player doesn't live up to the contract or he gets injured. Now Fitz did sign a starters deal with the Bills and didn't live up to it. But he went the backup route with several teams, started a lot of games and played well including here. So to me he's worth taking a chance on but not for 16 mil a year which is right now market rate for a starter and that's on the lower end. But 10 per is a good signing. 

$10 million would horrible. What players are you willing to give up to rent him for another year? Personally I think Decker sounds desperate and that internally they may know JAG boy coming back us unlikely, but Decker also knows that Woody sometimes caves to fan pressure.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

$10 million would horrible. What players are you willing to give up to rent him for another year? Personally I think Decker sounds desperate and that internally they may know JAG boy coming back us unlikely, but Decker also knows that Woody sometimes caves to fan pressure.

They do not have to give up anyone. They can restructure and backload his contract. You're not getting him for 7. If he had a better history as a starter he would be getting 16. And he did play well enough with Buff to get one good contract. Look, Andy Dalton makes 16 and no playoffs Ws under him. 

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I believe $10mm is the number...which is awful...but what'll be even worse if it's two years at $10mm...

He's not going to make it through next year as the starter, would hate to be paying him anything more than back up money.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Starting to get a "veteran doesn't want to do OTA's" vibe with reporting like this.

There is still alot of smoke about the Jets, FO/Coach/Players, wanting Fitz back.  Too much for there to be no fire.

If the organization was ready to let it go, I think it'd be more clear by now that was the case, and the Jets would make that "moving on from Fitz" public and clear-cut.

Guess we're stuck with the will they/won't they till the start of Camp at the least, eh.

I'm still getting the vibe fitz is coming back too... I have to say mac's calm but firm handling of the situation puts me at ease. Nothing personal, just business and patiently giving Fitzpatrick time to process the disappointment that he's not getting the big payday he thought he deserved. So when he finally comes crawling back to the jets both sides will be looking good

I think I made a mistake on one of these threads on Andy Dalton and a 4 pick game of his. It was actually against the Ravens a few years ago and Cincy won the game. But 3 and 4 pick games by good Qbs aren't unusual. No excuses for Fitz against Buff but you can look it up. All Qbs have their stinkers including important games.

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I think I made a mistake on one of these threads on Andy Dalton and a 4 pick game of his. It was actually against the Ravens a few years ago and Cincy won the game. But 3 and 4 pick games by good Qbs aren't unusual. No excuses for Fitz against Buff but you can look it up. All Qbs have their stinkers including important games.

you said good QBs so why are we discussing Fitz?  he's an average QB.  all QBs have bad games now and then but this was the biggest game of his career and the only time he had a chance in week 17 to make the playoffs and he didn't show up.  That's not a good sign.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you said good QBs so why are we discussing Fitz?  he's an average QB.  all QBs have bad games now and then but this was the biggest game of his career and the only time he had a chance in week 17 to make the playoffs and he didn't show up.  That's not a good sign.

We don't agree and never will agree. I think Fitz in 2015 was a good Qb. Career wise just ok.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

We don't agree and never will agree. I think Fitz in 2015 was a good Qb. Career wise just ok.

he was good in 2015 but I wouldn't put him in the good category overall.  certain QBs have built up credibility where they can have a clunker like Fitz and not be bashed for it, Fitz's track record doesn't allow him to get away w/ that Buffalo game.

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

I'm still getting the vibe fitz is coming back too... I have to say mac's calm but firm handling of the situation puts me at ease. Nothing personal, just business and patiently giving Fitzpatrick time to process the disappointment that he's not getting the big payday he thought he deserved. So when he finally comes crawling back to the jets both sides will be looking good

I have been critical of the Jets' failure to more actively explore other vet options if for nothing else than increasing leverage on Fitz.  But at least they have not let the pressure force them into saying stupid sh!t that could have hurt their negotiating position, and I think Macc deserves credit for that.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I have been critical of the Jets' failure to more actively explore other vet options if for nothing else than increasing leverage on Fitz.  But at least they have not let the pressure force them into saying stupid sh!t that could have hurt their negotiating position, and I think Macc deserves credit for that.

Eh, saying a guy, that currently is not on the roster and is reportedly seeking double what you're offering, is your starter, could be looked at as "stupid sh!t".

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was good in 2015 but I wouldn't put him in the good category overall.  certain QBs have built up credibility where they can have a clunker like Fitz and not be bashed for it, Fitz's track record doesn't allow him to get away w/ that Buffalo game.

I don't believe he was a disaster in that game. All 3 picks were in the 4th quarter and two of those at the end of the game. Despite a poor game he put us in a position to win even though we were outplayed. To me based on 2015 Fitz should get a contract. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't believe he was a disaster in that game. All 3 picks were in the 4th quarter and two of those at the end of the game. Despite a poor game he put us in a position to win even though we were outplayed. To me based on 2015 Fitz should get a contract. 

I don't care as much about the last INT, that was desperation but the first one we were in FG range ready to take the lead and it changed the game.  He played the game scared. he did NOT put us in position to win, Brandon Marshall kept it close trying to will us to the win but Fitz was having none of it.

11 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Eh, saying a guy, that currently is not on the roster and is reportedly seeking double what you're offering, is your starter, could be looked at as "stupid sh!t".

If they are offering double last year's salary it's not good enough because he was underpaid last year. He started for backup money. Why didn't the Jets tear up that deal and pay him what he was worth in 2015. I assume you like to get paid full value. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If they are offering double last year's salary it's not good enough because he was underpaid last year. He started for backup money. Why didn't the Jets tear up that deal and pay him what he was worth in 2015. I assume you like to get paid full value. 

I do the majority of my work on a contract basis.  Software and web development.  Now if I sign on to a gig and the application is faster or looks prettier than initially planned, do you think the client offers to pay me more?

If so, please let me know if you need any development work done.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't care as much about the last INT, that was desperation but the first one we were in FG range ready to take the lead and it changed the game.  He played the game scared. he did NOT put us in position to win, Brandon Marshall kept it close trying to will us to the win but Fitz was having none of it.

Not a good game granted by him but he wasn't playing scared. He played with a broken thumb and didn't miss a game. And a Jerry Rice type of catch at the end of the game would have won it. And that's how championships are won by unbelievable plays and not just by your Qb.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Had he played scared, he would never have tried that pass.  Overconfident, not under.

It should be reminded that he was also in that spot with no workable, functional RB's to rely on.  Leaving the pass the only part of the offense that worked to that point.

It should also be reminded that Chan called that play, he did not call a run to protect the ball and ensure we took the lead (a less than 3 point lead).  

it should also be pointed out that an under 3 point lead would have been no sure thing at all given how our Defense was playing that day, especially our pass Defense, especially Revis who who was torched all day long.

Fitz made that pass, he owns it, it was on him.  But once again, the meme that the entire loss was on him is so laughably biased it's just sad.  It's no different than how people constantly had to rip to shreads every single player on the 2014 roster, so that Geno could be blameless for our failings.  

The truth is never, ever, so cut and dried.  Fitza failed in the big moment, no doubt.  But his team, his coaches, all failing right along with him.  That loss was as much of a "whole team loss" as I've seen, with failures everywhere, hurt RB's, dropped passes, poor defense, even Revis Island 6 feet underwater.

No shortage of blame to share, and oversimplification serves us little good.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I do the majority of my work on a contract basis.  Software and web development.  Now if I sign on to a gig and the application is faster or looks prettier than initially planned, do you think the client offers to pay me more?

Look this is pro sports and teams tear up deals when a player outplays his contract. The Jets didn't do it and he's probably trying to get some compensation for 2015. The 7 mil figure some of you guys are clinging to isn't reasonable in that market. 

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

No, but if they want you on the next project, you certainly would quote them a higher price based on previous project results, or you're frankly not a very well-run business/contractor.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Not a good game granted by him but he wasn't playing scared. He played with a broken thumb and didn't miss a game. And a Jerry Rice type of catch at the end of the game would have won it. And that's how championships are won by unbelievable plays and not just by your Qb.

his thumb wasn't broken and he ws playing w/ that thumb injury for half the season. 

a jerry Rice type of catch? that was a one in a million type of catch. stop it.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Had he played scared, he would never have tried that pass.  Overconfident, not under.

It should be reminded that he was also in that spot with no workable, functional RB's to rely on.  Leaving the pass the only part of the offense that worked to that point.

It should also be reminded that Chan called that play, he did not call a run to protect the ball and ensure we took the lead (a less than 3 point lead).  

it should also be pointed out that an under 3 point lead would have been no sure thing at all given how our Defense was playing that day, especially our pass Defense, especially Revis who who was torched all day long.

Fitz made that pass, he owns it, it was on him.  But once again, the meme that the entire loss was on him is so laughably biased it's just sad.  It's no different than how people constantly had to rip to shreads every single player on the 2014 roster, so that Geno could be blameless for our failings.  

The truth is never, ever, so cut and dried.  Fitza failed in the big moment, no doubt.  But his team, his coaches, all failing right along with him.  That loss was as much of a "whole team loss" as I've seen, with failures everywhere, hurt RB's, dropped passes, poor defense, even Revis Island 6 feet underwater.

No shortage of blame to share, and oversimplification serves us little good.

he played scared, only one QB was affected by the wind that day.  he didn't throw an INT all year in the direction of Decker so he threw it up for decker and it was disaster.

I have never pinned the loss on him alone, the coaching stunk, the D stunk- basically everyone but Marshall stunk but that doesn't absolve Fitz of his horrible play that day in the biggest game of our season and his career.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No, but if they want you on the next project, you certainly would quote them a higher price based on previous project results, or you're frankly not a very well-run business/contractor.

Not if I seriously F-ed up at the end of the job and they had a cheaper developer on staff with potential.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look this is pro sports and teams tear up deals when a player outplays his contract. The Jets didn't do it and he's probably trying to get some compensation for 2015. 

Yes they do.  If they really want that player long-term.  

They did not.  So what does that say?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

his thumb wasn't broken and he ws playing w/ that thumb injury for half the season. 

a jerry Rice type of catch? that was a one in a million type of catch. stop it.

he played scared, only one QB was affected by the wind that day.  he didn't throw an INT all year in the direction of Decker so he threw it up for decker and it was disaster.

I have never pinned the loss on him alone, the coaching stunk, the D stunk- basically everyone but Marshall stunk but that doesn't absolve Fitz of his horrible play that day in the biggest game of our season and his career.

Football history is built on great plays. And why did Gailey throw to Thompkins in that kind of situation with the game on the line. Could Marshall have made that play?

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Football history is built on great plays. And why did Gailey throw to Thompkins in that kind of situation with the game on the line. Could Marshall have made that play?

Gailey threw to Thompkins? what?  that would have been one of the most spectacular plays in sports history of he catxhes that ball AND runs into the EZ.  a play like that against a dead Bills team should not have been needed.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yes they do.  If they really want that player long-term.  

They did not.  So what does that say?

Look they are still in talks. Decker said he thinks they will settle but it could take time. We'll see what happens but I don't see the Jets low balling Fitz and letting him walk.

Archived