Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Oh, because if you would have responded by giving them ANYTHING for Glennon it would have been totally uncalled for and over the line! lol. 

give me your elevator pitch for glennon.  I am on the elevator, you get on and the doors close.  you have 15 seconds to convince me to trade for Glennon before I get to my floor........no video clips or pics, just a good old fashioned sales pitch

go

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Take Joe right off of the banner here at Jetnation and email it to them lol. 

Then again, that may be too much for a guy sitting on the bench. 

If we do lose Fitz (and I hope we do) then Macc is going to have to do something.  I think the most logical thing would be either Goff/Wentz or Glennon.  Then again, I'm hoping for one of those scenarios so maybe my judgment is off.  It'll probably just be Geno.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

give me your elevator pitch for glennon.  I am on the elevator, you get on and the doors close.  you have 15 seconds to convince me to trade for Glennon before I get to my floor........no video clips or pics, just a good old fashioned sales pitch

go

I'll play along too....

"Larz, we have a shot to get a 26 year old qb who may have the strongest arm in the NFL, has thrown 29 TD's to 15 int's and shredded the Seahawks SB defense on the road as a ROOKIE.  We havne't had a legit QB since JWN and this guy has done much more than anyone else we have on the roster right now.  We can go for Glennon, or continue with the likes of Ryan Fitz or Geno Smith"

(I wouldn't actually scream "rookie", but I'd put emphasis on it)

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

go

what kind of sales pitch can you give in 15 seconds? you can say a total of 15 words. i'll suck your dick is probably the best you can get, lol

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

go

15 seconds? Okay. Here you go. 

Hey, could you press number 5 for me please. Oh nice throwback Jets jersey man. Who's that Namath? Cool bro. 

Rhetorical questions here to think about, who's your QB right now? Who's been your QB's after the man who wore that Jersey? Do you know that the Bucs have either traded/released three QB's (Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young, Doug Williams) that have either won the SB or at least made it to a conference championship game? Last question....Have you heard of the name Mike Glennon? 

Oh, this is my floor. Have a good weekend bro and good luck this season with Bryce Petty. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey, could you press number 5 for me please. Oh nice throwback Jets jersey man. Who's that Namath? Cool bro. 

Rhetorical questions here to think about, who's your QB right now? Who's been your QB's after the man who wore that Jersey? Do you know that the Bucs have either traded/released three QB's (Vinny Testaverde, Steve Young, Doug Williams) that have either won the SB or at least made it to a conference championship game? Last question....Have you heard of the name Mike Glennon? 

Oh, this is my floor. Have a good weekend bro and good luck this season with Bryce Petty. 

haha, love the last part but I could also conclude there isn't anything about glennon you can hang your hat on, so when I get off the elevator I remain unconvinced

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

what kind of sales pitch can you give in 15 seconds? you can say a total of 15 words. i'll suck your dick is probably the best you can get, lol

this is an old sales trick, if you can't boil down the benefit of your product into one powerful statement you probably don't understand your product or should find a new career

the best example of all time :   tastes great, less filling

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

A solid effort....... but......

You should try again. Not very persuasive.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll play along too....

"Larz, we have a shot to get a 26 year old qb who may have the strongest arm in the NFL, has thrown 29 TD's to 15 int's and shredded the Seahawks SB defense on the road as a ROOKIE.  We havne't had a legit QB since JWN and this guy has done much more than anyone else we have on the roster right now.  We can go for Glennon, or continue with the likes of Ryan Fitz or Geno Smith"

nice.  I must say this would persuade me

get to the phone damnit !!!

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

haha, love the last part but I could also conclude there isn't anything about glennon you can hang your hat on, so when I get off the elevator I remain unconvinced

But I did only had 15 seconds on an elevator and presenting the scenario of the Bucs releasing multiple QB's that went on to win SB's with other franchises I would have thought that would spark some intrigue for you to look him up. If I was on the elevator and someone made that comparison and then told me "good luck" with the QB that I didnt even like as a draft option last year (Petty), on my way home im going to atleast look at what the guy Glennon has done. Then I would be like....."dude on the elevator was clever and correct. This Glennon guy has some real talent"

If you would have said 1 minute or something I think I would have been able to convince lol. 

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

A solid effort....... but......

You should try again. Not very persuasive.

Thanks. I've never been a seller so I could understand coming up short with only 15 seconds. Give me 1 year (like on this Forum) and as we can see I've convinced quite a few Jets fans on this forum about this guy! 

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'll play along too....

So the "Petty Project" gets flushed?

Mac admits to wasting a 4th on a QB?

GM's hate to admit they're wrong.... especially after only 1 draft.

20 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

If you want to be a mod just as Max...no need to beat around the bush.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Nope.  Keep working with both QB's and a few scenario's present themselves.

- Petty can't cut it, Mac cuts Petty

- Petty looks like a solid QB, you've got a young backup for a few years

- Petty looks great, Mac decides who's better, Petty or Glennon.  Keep one, trade the other for multiple picks.  Now you've got your QB of the future and a bunch of picks to build around him.  

A lot of people laughed at the 'skins when they took Cousins a few rounds after taking RG III in the first round.  I thought it was brilliant.  Seems to have worked out fairly well.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Nope.  Keep working with both QB's and a few scenario's present themselves.

- Petty can't cut it, Mac cuts Petty

- Petty looks like a solid QB, you've got a young backup for a few years

- Petty looks great, Mac decides who's better, Petty or Glennon.  Keep one, trade the other for multiple picks.  Now you've got your QB of the future and a bunch of picks to build around him.  

A lot of people laughed at the 'skins when they took Cousins a few rounds after taking RG III in the first round.  I thought it was brilliant.  Seems to have worked out fairly well.

How would you get multiple picks for the loser of the Petty/Glennon sweepstakes? A conditional 6th for the loser.

We'll see how the whole Cousin's thing turns out this yr. He saved them last yr.... but the NFC East(except Eagles) will be tougher this yr. Let's see how he copes.

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

How would you get multiple picks for the loser of the Petty/Glennon sweepstakes? A conditional 6th for the loser.

We'll see how the whole Cousin's thing turns out this yr. He saved them last yr.... but the NFC East(except Eagles) will be tougher this yr. Let's see how he copes.

I was focusing on Petty since he was the question and going over the possibilities he would present.  My suggestion was that you keep him and continue working with him.  If he's no good, he gets cut.  If he's good then he can be your backup or net you picks if he's even better.  Was referring to Petty and Glennon.  

Jury is still out on Cousins, but at the very worst they have a high-level backup/spot starter, at best he's a franchise QB, all for a pick that a lot of people laughed at them for.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I'll play along too....

Glennon has thrown 29 TDs to 15  INTs?  Didn't realize he played that much.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Glennon has thrown 29 TDs to 15  INTs?  Didn't realize he played that much.

Yup.  19-9 as a rookie, 10-6 in year 2 before Lovie Smith went back to McCown who threw 11 TD's to 14 INT's...but Glennon was the problem according to some.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

19 TDs 9 INTs as a rookie?!?  How come he didn't keep the job?  Who did TB have at QB?

They gave the job to McCown who was far worse than Glennon...threw 11 TD's to 14 INT's...but somehow Glennon far outperforming the guy ahead of him means he was bad but says nothing about the HC.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

They gave the job to McCown who was far worse than Glennon...threw 11 TD's to 14 INT's...but somehow Glennon far outperforming the guy ahead of him means he was bad but says nothing about the HC.

I looked it up and I think Josh Freeman was the other QB in TB at the time.  I remember there being a buzz about Freeman at one point.  But something just seems off here.  Seems like the Bucs must not have believed in the guy for some reason. 

I looked it up and I think Josh Freeman was the other QB in TB at the time.  I remember there being a buzz about Freeman at one point.  But something just seems off here.  Seems like the Bucs must not have believed in the guy for some reason. 

Lovie Smith didn't...he named McCown the starter the second he signed him.  Never even took the time to watch Glennon take a snap in TC.  Then sat him again after he outplayed McCown.  I don't see how that's Glennon's fault.  Terrible decision by Lovie.  I hear he got a good college gig now with six or seven NFL openings this offseason.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yep, during his rookie season they benched Freeman because he was horrible.  That was the difference between Schiano and Lovie Smith.  When Schiano's QB was horrible, he benched him.  When Lovie's starter was horrible, he didn't.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Freeman was drawing comparisons to Elway as a rookie...LOL

QB will eat these guys up and spit them out.  It has to be amongst the most difficult positions in all of sports. 

It is, which is why I remember shaking my head as I sat and watched ESPN and they compared Freeman to Elway after a few come from behind wins.

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Lovie Smith didn't...he named McCown the starter the second he signed him.  Never even took the time to watch Glennon take a snap in TC.  Then sat him again after he outplayed McCown.  I don't see how that's Glennon's fault.  Terrible decision by Lovie.  I hear he got a good college gig now with six or seven NFL openings this offseason.

Don't worry, Lovie will have Illinois in the BCS championship in 3 years!:D

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

McCown was Lovie Smith's guy that's why Glennon was benched

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

19 TDs 9 INTs as a rookie?!?  How come he didn't keep the job?  Who did TB have at QB?

They still had their former 2009 1st rd pick Josh Freeman who was pulled for Glennon after going 0-3 to start the season..

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

McCown was Lovie Smith's guy that's why Glennon was benched

Correct, yet I've seen it said a million times that the Jets shouldn't trade for Glennon because he couldn't "beat out" McCown, despite the fact that he produced at a higher level.  Lovie deciding to sit him despite superior performance isn't on him.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Correct, yet I've seen it said a million times that the Jets shouldn't trade for Glennon because he couldn't "beat out" McCown, despite the fact that he produced at a higher level.  Lovie deciding to sit him despite superior performance isn't on him.

The people who are assuming Glennon sucks don't know what they're talking about.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Petty didn't look good facing third stringers last preseason you want him starting?

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's a concern, yes. But then again, when was Lovie Smith ever accused of being a good talent evaluator at QB? If it was a former OC/QBC - a good one - who benched him, it would be a bigger, redder red flag.

I have to be honest and admit I didn't watch Glennon that closely on TV in his rookie season. Doing some on paper forensics/analysis:

• Vincent Jackson - who is usually very sure-handed - were catching less than half the passes thrown his way and it wasn't because he was dropping a zillion of them. His 9 drops in 160 pass attempts isn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it's uncharacteristically low for VJ. Plus I don't know how many of those drops came on Freeman's throws and how many on Glennon's. But given that unusually high drop rate, and the disgustingly-low catch rate, it might lead me to believe that nearly half the passes Glennon threw to VJ were uncatchable.
  • Tim Wright only dropped 1 of his 76 targets, mostly short/intermediate passes, and still only caught 71% of attempts thrown his way (72% of the balance, so all or most of the remaining 28% of these usually-shorter throws were uncatchable).
  • Doug Martin just dropped the ball those first couple of seasons (9 as a rookie and 5 in year 2). I can't pin that on Glennon. Still, removing all 5 of Martin's credited drops, he still only caught 12 of 19 dumpoff passes. Unless most of those incomplete passes were purposeful throwaways, that's a crap rate.
  • Underwood was a deep threat so I don't expect more than a 50% catch rate. An off-target pass may be the intention, throwing it away on purpose but it's still nominally credited as an attempt to a particular receiver.
  • Looking in general: their TE Wright, and a couple of back (Brian Leonard, Lorig, Mike James) were the only ones with a catch rate over 65%, and drops weren't a factor for them because they hardly dropped any.

These uncatchable-rates are harder to tie to Glennon a year later, since McCown was the starter for 2/3 of the season. But for the 2013 season, his decidedly good rookie TD:INT ratio (19:9) notwithstanding, it doesn't paint the picture of an accurate passer. At the same time, he was just a rookie; on a poorly coached team at that.

Archived