Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Petty didn't look good facing third stringers last preseason you want him starting?

No, was just replying to AFJF saying how trading for Glennon(esp. for 2nd rd. pick) would be a difficult thing for Mac. All personnel guys think they have a magical OUIJA board that looks into the soul of a player and can predict their career path.

I'm fine with bringing Glennon in. It just seems to me that Mac might have a more difficult time justifying it.

6 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Glennon couldn't win games and Jets need a real starter not a stockpile of backups. 

First off, I like Fitz. 

Yet the quoted statement above clearly demonstrates that we as Jets fans are victims. "I'm a victim brother. I'm a victim of 40 years of conditioning. The man (NY Jets) has programmed my conditioning. Even my conditioning has been conditioned."  

The Jets need  a Franchise QB. The 6 years of play by Sanchez followed by Geno had us YEARNING for MERELY, at minimum, COMPETENT QB play that wasn't mind-numbing & aggravating. Fitz provided that for us in 2015, but his true colors revealed themselves in week 17. Fitzy is a proven 11 year 2nd String QB at best.  

Glennon has arm talent, is young, and played on PUTRIDLY devoid of talent TB teams resulting in a 5-13 record w/19 games played.

In those 19 games he was 365/619 for 4,025 yards @ 58.8 Cmpltn% w/29TDs to 15 Ints. That's pretty good and seems like a promising starting QB aged 25 that shows a higher ceiling than 33 yr old pop-gun Fitzy.

But yeah, one step at time. So Glennon would only be another "back-up QB" to throw onto our stockpile. Considering the DEPTHS of QB play we've come from, Glennon is NO BACKUP compared to Fitzy; who only had the 2nd best season for a QB in Jets HISTORY which sadly isn't saying much.  

56ed8d2d85d42_ScreenShot2016-03-19at1.30

As much as people knock Glennon, he's more promising as a legit starting QB than ANY of our current prospects at THIS SPECIFIC point in time. Which is sad, but as I stated earlier: 

We're conditioned. 

17 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Glennon couldn't win games and Jets need a real starter not a stockpile of backups. 

One of those losses in 2014 came on a completed pass that was then fumbled and returned the other way for a TD in OT.

By the numbers he was also a terrible 2nd half QB as a rookie but that flip-flopped a year later.

2013:

Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Quarter 1st Qtr 58 97 39 59.79 617 4 32 0 92.2 6.4 7.19 2 5 2.5 0 0
  2nd Qtr 82 118 36 69.49 937 9 50 2 111.4 7.9 8.70 10 18 1.8 0 1
  3rd Qtr 44 84 40 52.38 492 3 25 4 62.2 5.9 4.43 5 24 4.8 0 2
  4th Qtr 63 117 54 53.85 562 3 24 3 64.8 4.8 4.16 9 -11 -1.2 0 1
  OT 0 0     0 0 0 0       1 1 1.0 0 0
  1st Half 140 215 75 65.12 1554 13 82 2 102.7 7.2 8.02 12 23 1.9 0 1
  2nd Half 107 201 94 53.23 1054 6 49 7 63.7 5.2 4.27 14 13 .9 0 3

2014:

Quarter 1st Qtr 13 39 26 33.33 164 1 9 3 23.9 4.2 1.26 2 11 5.5 0 2
  2nd Qtr 27 47 20 57.45 301 2 11 2 73.1 6.4 5.34 2 10 5.0 0 0
  3rd Qtr 34 46 12 73.91 417 2 21 1 106.9 9.1 8.96 3 25 8.3 0 1
  4th Qtr 42 70 28 60.00 525 5 23 0 107.1 7.5 8.93 3 3 1.0 0 0
  OT 1 1 0 100.00 10 0 0 0 108.3 10.0 10.00 0 0   0 0
  1st Half 40 86 46 46.51 465 3 20 5 50.8 5.4 3.49 4 21 5.3 0 2
  2nd Half 76 116 40 65.52 942 7 44 1 107.0 8.1 8.94 6 28 4.7 0 1

Those late TDs in 2014 were

• vs Atlanta = garbage/useless stat-padding TD. Threw a TD with in the 4th quarter with Tampa down 56-0.
  • vs Pittsburgh = threw the game-winning TD with :12 left. Don't remember the play, or the long completion before it, though, and Pittsburgh's pass D was an embarrassment that year.
  • vs NO = was a shootout, but what the passing numbers don't show is in the early-mid 4th quarter with a 5 point lead, he fumbled (or was credited with a fumble) and picked it back up on his own 2. Next play, delay of game (Glennon). Two plays later he takes a sack in the EZ, making it a 3 point game.  NO kicked a FG on the next drive to tie it up. Tampa lost the coin toss and never got the ball back in OT.
  • vs Balt = losing 35-3, he throws a TD with 6 min left in the 3rd Q. Then after another Ravens TD, in the early 4th Q Glennon threw his 2nd TD pass with Tampa down an insurmountable 45-10. Drive after that (still garbage time) Elvis Dumervil strip sacks him on 4th down on the Ravens' 12.
  • vs Min = low scoring game then Glennon marched them down the field to score a TD and take a 3 point lead with 2 min left. Min ties it up to force OT. Tampa gets the ball, Glennon completes a pass that his receiver fumbles and is returned the other way for a TD. Don't know what good/bad he did in the first 55 minutes, but that ending wasn't Glennon's fault.
  • vs Cle = the Clowns were actually pretty hard to pass on that year. After TB picked off Hoyer deep in Cle territory, Glennon threw a pick in the EZ. Don't remember the play, though (for all I know it was on the money and bounced off WIlliams' hands up into the air). It was his 2nd pick of the 1st half. Prior pick was on a 60 yard bomb. He did throw a couple of 24-yard TD passes (one on 3rd & long) but I don't know if they were great throws, if Williams had his man beat by 10 yards each time, or whatever in between.

It was his 2nd year in the league, though, and with Tampa getting the #1 pick - and using it on a more NFL-ready QB prospect - it was a long shot for him to see the field without Winston getting injured.

Interesting stuff, though, if it's someone you're interested in picking up this year. Would have to look at the film, not just written official-scorer summaries of these plays, to know what really happened.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a concern, yes. But then again, when was Lovie Smith ever accused of being a good talent evaluator at QB? 

Never. But then again if the vociferous hoards are giving credit  to Greg Schiano for being good in that aspect then I'm not sure that's a variable worth throwing into the mix. 

21 hours ago, Larz said:

this is an old sales trick, if you can't boil down the benefit of your product into one powerful statement you probably don't understand your product or should find a new career

the best example of all time :   tastes great, less filling

Lol. You're selling sh*tty beer to people who already like to drink sh*tty beer. Not remotely the same thing. Miller lite sucks, btw. 

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Lol. You're selling sh*tty beer to people who already like to drink sh*tty beer. Not remotely the same thing. Miller lite sucks, btw. 

that commercial hasn't run in 40 years, yet you knew exactly which one I was referring to

I rest my case

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Isn't Glennon a free agent after the 2016 season? essentially, putting the Jets in a somewhat similar spot as they are today?

I do not believe that Glennon is leading the jets to a SB in 2016, and without that, he just does not make sense.

Do you think he'll lead us to the SB in 2017? I'd take that! :-) 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

If I knew that he was the real deal. If I knew that he was going to re-sign with the jets, I would take that. 

But there is so much we don't know, and with risk and cost.

There is only a small hand full of QB's considered "elite" in this league. The rest are just quarterbacks....some better than others. Not every team will have a "sure bet" elite QB that is a future HOF'er and all that jazz (in my Rex Ryan voice). But you can win with a complete team. The Jets have a very good offense with great players at the skillset position and a solid defense. Put in a solid young QB that could bring some qualities to the table but also allow for those playmakers to make plays for him. 

Glennon has made mistakes but for the most part he's shown that he could play very good football at the position. Give him an opportunity to where he's not always playing from behind or his defense blowing a lead. I cant confirm Glennon's success as a Jet, I just know what I seen on tape and I feel like if you put him in a much better position than what he was in he'll surprise some folks. Risk is necessary....it makes the journey that much sweeter if it pays off in the end. If it doesnt, you're still the "SOJ" team you always was expected to be. In otherwords, what could go wrong that already hasnt gone wrong? 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

There is only a small hand full of QB's considered "elite" in this league. The rest are just quarterbacks....some better than others. Not every team will have a "sure bet" elite QB that is a future HOF'er and all that jazz (in my Rex Ryan voice). But you can win with a complete team. The Jets have a very good offense with great players at the skillset position and a solid defense. Put in a solid young QB that could bring some qualities to the table but also allow for those playmakers to make plays for him. 

Glennon has made mistakes but for the most part he's shown that he could play very good football at the position. Give him an opportunity to where he's not always playing from behind or his defense blowing a lead. I cant confirm Glennon's success as a Jet, I just know what I seen on tape and I feel like if you put him in a much better position than what he was in he'll surprise some folks. Risk is necessary....it makes the journey that much sweeter if it pays off in the end. If it doesnt, you're still the "SOJ" team you always was expected to be. In otherwords, what could go wrong that already hasnt gone wrong? 

I dunno Villain, I've wanted the Jets to get Glennon for years, and I know the NFL executive of the year looked to bring him in, but there are a lot of posters on here who seem to know a hell of a lot more about the game than Maccagnan does.  I'm kinda torn now.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I dunno Villain, I've wanted the Jets to get Glennon for years, and I know the NFL executive of the year looked to bring him in, but there are a lot of posters on here who seem to know a hell of a lot more about the game than Maccagnan does.  I'm kinda torn now.

Wait, where is the link that says Mac "wants to bring Glennon in"? I have not seen that.

47 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If I knew that he was the real deal. If I knew that he was going to re-sign with the jets, I would take that. 

But there is so much we don't know, and with risk and cost.

They can't know that he's the real deal for certain, but I doubt they'd make a trade without having a contract extension for him in place. 

15 minutes ago, slats said:

They can't know that he's the real deal for certain, but I doubt they'd make a trade without having a contract extension for him in place. 

A lot of risk there. Glenn would be looking at high $$ in order to keep him away from FA. No reason for him to do that unless he is locked up handsomely

54 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The problem with both sides is that GM's can be overly concerned about certain resources and Fans are so "right now". Perfect example, look how many people last year were so happy to get Revis but today swears how bad of a season he had and how we should have never signed him. Look how last year Calvin Pryor was a bust and it was dumb to draft this guy in the 1st round, if at all, yet today Calvin Pryor had a great season and he's no longer a bust. 

I wouldnt say that there isnt a fan that could possibly do a better job than Macc. I personally think that I can evaluate talent better than Tanny. But its easier when you're just a fan behind a keyboard on a forum and not a guy with a Billionaire Boss looking for you to make his franchise the next big thing. Maybe I would second-guess myself too. 

However, given my position I'm vouching for Glennon based on what I've seen and I havent seen anything from any poster here that has ever made me feel that I need to re-evaluate my position. If I was Macc I would take this chance. Glennon isnt a QB that could carry a team by himself, but he's good enough to win games with talent around him and to be calm in pressure situations. The kid has intangibles that I see on the field that is important for the position. Its beyond the physical tools, its his belief in himself, immediately forgetting a bad play, not blaming teammates and more often than not putting the team in a good position. You cant get that info from his W/L record for example. You have to see the guy play football. He's not amazingly elite, but you can see clear as day that he just need talent around him and those L's will turn into W's quickly and often. 

I will trade a 1st rounder for that, but I'd try hard as hell to get it for a 3rd lol. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell is Glennon worth a 1st round pick NO WAY IN HELL 

You could be right. Its just my opinion on his potential with this team. Think about it, I really do think that Mike Glennon has the capability to be a Franchise QB. Now, who in their right mind doesnt think that a franchise QB isnt atleast worth a 1st round pick? Granted, there is hindsight in that, but if Glennon was traded for a 1st round pick by the Rams and he ended up being a franchise QB for the next decade who the hell is going to care about that 1st round pick? He's not worth it now, but how many rookies have we seen every single year drafted in the 1st round that wasnt worth that pick. Why is RG3 trying to find a job after everything that the Redskins gave up to get him only to franchise a QB that they got in the 4th round the same year?

20 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

One of those losses in 2014 came on a completed pass that was then fumbled and returned the other way for a TD in OT.

By the numbers he was also a terrible 2nd half QB as a rookie but that flip-flopped a year later.

2013:

Quarter 1st Qtr 58 97 39 59.79 617 4 32 0 92.2 6.4 7.19 2 5 2.5 0 0
  2nd Qtr 82 118 36 69.49 937 9 50 2 111.4 7.9 8.70 10 18 1.8 0 1
  3rd Qtr 44 84 40 52.38 492 3 25 4 62.2 5.9 4.43 5 24 4.8 0 2
  4th Qtr 63 117 54 53.85 562 3 24 3 64.8 4.8 4.16 9 -11 -1.2 0 1
  OT 0 0     0 0 0 0       1 1 1.0 0 0
  1st Half 140 215 75 65.12 1554 13 82 2 102.7 7.2 8.02 12 23 1.9 0 1
  2nd Half 107 201 94 53.23 1054 6 49 7 63.7 5.2 4.27 14 13 .9 0 3

2014:

Quarter 1st Qtr 13 39 26 33.33 164 1 9 3 23.9 4.2 1.26 2 11 5.5 0 2
  2nd Qtr 27 47 20 57.45 301 2 11 2 73.1 6.4 5.34 2 10 5.0 0 0
  3rd Qtr 34 46 12 73.91 417 2 21 1 106.9 9.1 8.96 3 25 8.3 0 1
  4th Qtr 42 70 28 60.00 525 5 23 0 107.1 7.5 8.93 3 3 1.0 0 0
  OT 1 1 0 100.00 10 0 0 0 108.3 10.0 10.00 0 0   0 0
  1st Half 40 86 46 46.51 465 3 20 5 50.8 5.4 3.49 4 21 5.3 0 2
  2nd Half 76 116 40 65.52 942 7 44 1 107.0 8.1 8.94 6 28 4.7 0 1

Those late TDs in 2014 were

• vs Atlanta = garbage/useless stat-padding TD. Threw a TD with in the 4th quarter with Tampa down 56-0.
  • vs Pittsburgh = threw the game-winning TD with :12 left. Don't remember the play, or the long completion before it, though, and Pittsburgh's pass D was an embarrassment that year.
  • vs NO = was a shootout, but what the passing numbers don't show is in the early-mid 4th quarter with a 5 point lead, he fumbled (or was credited with a fumble) and picked it back up on his own 2. Next play, delay of game (Glennon). Two plays later he takes a sack in the EZ, making it a 3 point game.  NO kicked a FG on the next drive to tie it up. Tampa lost the coin toss and never got the ball back in OT.
  • vs Balt = losing 35-3, he throws a TD with 6 min left in the 3rd Q. Then after another Ravens TD, in the early 4th Q Glennon threw his 2nd TD pass with Tampa down an insurmountable 45-10. Drive after that (still garbage time) Elvis Dumervil strip sacks him on 4th down on the Ravens' 12.
  • vs Min = low scoring game then Glennon marched them down the field to score a TD and take a 3 point lead with 2 min left. Min ties it up to force OT. Tampa gets the ball, Glennon completes a pass that his receiver fumbles and is returned the other way for a TD. Don't know what good/bad he did in the first 55 minutes, but that ending wasn't Glennon's fault.
  • vs Cle = the Clowns were actually pretty hard to pass on that year. After TB picked off Hoyer deep in Cle territory, Glennon threw a pick in the EZ. Don't remember the play, though (for all I know it was on the money and bounced off WIlliams' hands up into the air). It was his 2nd pick of the 1st half. Prior pick was on a 60 yard bomb. He did throw a couple of 24-yard TD passes (one on 3rd & long) but I don't know if they were great throws, if Williams had his man beat by 10 yards each time, or whatever in between.

It was his 2nd year in the league, though, and with Tampa getting the #1 pick - and using it on a more NFL-ready QB prospect - it was a long shot for him to see the field without Winston getting injured.

Interesting stuff, though, if it's someone you're interested in picking up this year. Would have to look at the film, not just written official-scorer summaries of these plays, to know what really happened.

Yeah, but those charts compare a 13-game rookie season to a 6-game sophomore season. It's tough to say how a full 2014 would've played out. He was benched at 1-5. He has a good TD-INT ratio ... so far.

IMO, if Matt Cassel couldn't convince anyone then Glennon's body of work says even less.   

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You dont get the Glennon love. Okay, what have you done to atleast find out what the love is all about? 

we all have opinions on players. i don't want an immobile qb.  the only qb i would ever want who really couldn't move was marino, his release compensated.  

26 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Yeah, but those charts compare a 13-game rookie season to a 6-game sophomore season. It's tough to say how a full 2014 would've played out. He was benched at 1-5.

IMO, if Matt Cassel couldn't convince anyone then Glennon's body of work says even less.   

Looking at stats could def lead to certain conclusions. If I watch a player and he looks bad then I dont waste my time. If a guy looks like "He isnt the problem" then I take into consideration what im seeing no matter the stats or the ultimate W/L conclusion. Some people have even suggested that Winston is better than Glennon based on this year (Not saying Winston is bad, just stating fact). What people dont take into account is that Kwon Alexander had a great rookie year, Doug Martin was actually healthy for the first time in 3 years and the Bucs actually revamped their offensive line in the draft with Ali Marpet and the Tackle from I believe Penn State (I forget his name). 

Most of all, the Bucs were 6-6 heading into December and in prime position to make a run at the playoffs. Then rookie LB Kwon Alexander was suspended for 4 games for some violation and the Bucs proceeded to lose every game since his suspension. I would assume that Kwon Alexanders absence (given his almost 100 tackles in just 12 games) played a role in the Bucs immediate decline. 

Furthermore, Look at Jameis Winston's stats. The last 4 games he threw 5TD's/4INT's 0-4 record. The prior 4 games (Before Kwon's suspension) Winston had 8TD's/2INT's 3-1 record. How important was Alexander to Winston, the Bucs defense and team as a whole? This is a team sport my friend. 

This is what I mean when it comes to Glennon. The man has not had talent around him, and sometimes has to push the envelope and it could break bad for him. Give him some help and I think Glennon could be solid...which the stats will ultimately reflect. 

30 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

A lot of risk there. Glenn would be looking at high $$ in order to keep him away from FA. No reason for him to do that unless he is locked up handsomely

Do you have some magic, risk free option at QB?

If Fitzpatrick isn't coming back unless the Jets get into eight figures for him, trying to trade for and extend Glennon for similar money would have to be considered. Younger, dramatically stronger arm, genuine upside. There's no doubt in my mind that he'd beat out Fitz in an open competition, and is a much better option moving forward. 

On March 19, 2016 at 9:43 AM, 32EBoozer said:

So the "Petty Project" gets flushed?

Mac admits to wasting a 4th on a QB?

GM's hate to admit they're wrong.... especially after only 1 draft.

He wasted a draft pick only if he thought he was getting a franchise QB with a 4th. Reality of a NFL draft is that with a 4th round pick if you can get yourself a solid backup, #2 QB you struck gold.  Only fans would think it was a fail

So no, he doesn't admit he was wrong, he bows and takes credit for funding a long term backup.  

By the time the Draft gets here who knows what Tampa will take for Glennon, maybe a 2. If our FO is interested then I hope it gets done. Right know Tampa is being Greedy but smart. I am sure Mac has a value on Glennon and if we don't sign Fitz or Draft someone we will then know the Jets true interest in Glennon. I am all for bringing him in, I don't know about a 1st but I will reserve all judgment until after the draft. Our QB situation is making me crazy.I saw Glennon play in Tampa and was impressed, but what do I know I am sitting behind a computer. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He wasted a draft pick only if he thought he was getting a franchise QB with a 4th. Reality of a NFL draft is that with a 4th round pick if you can get yourself a solid backup, #2 QB you struck gold.  Only fans would think it was a fail

So no, he doesn't admit he was wrong, he bows and takes credit for funding a long term backup.  

Well put. Only an idiot would think you are  actually drafting your franchise QB in the 4th rd.

Archived