Francessa: Jets called Bucs about Glennon: MERGED

AFJF

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

well, in his defense, there are not alot of players that belong in the hall of fame there

That's because you forgot Dustin Keller (he was our 2nd round pick in '08, packaged with another to move up to Green Bay's pick at the bottom of round 1).

In our original spot, #36, Green Bay drafted Jordy Nelson. But Baker wasn't a good enough receiving threat and we didn't "need" a WR then, since we already had Cotchery & Coles.

Example #3493 why you don't draft for need. A few years later no one's going to remember or care what you needed back then. The draft is for picking up the best & most valuable young prospects you hope will be good/great someday (the sooner the better). Free agency is for pure need-based acquisitions.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ylekram said:

here is a list of the ny jets 2nd round draft picks over the past 10 years. you make the ccall

2006-kellen clemens

2007-david harris

2008-traded (david harris? revis? keller? cant remember)

2009-traded (sanchez)

2010-vladimir ducasse

2011-traded (cromartie)

2012-stephen hill

2013-geno smith

2014-jace amaro

2015-devin smith

HOF status right there. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's because you forgot Dustin Keller (he was our 2nd round pick in '08, packaged with another to move up to Green Bay's pick at the bottom of round 1).

In our original spot, #36, Green Bay drafted Jordy Nelson. But Baker wasn't a good enough receiving threat and we didn't "need" a WR then, since we already had Cotchery & Coles.

Example #3493 why you don't draft for need. A few years later no one's going to remember or care what you needed back then. The draft is for picking up the best & most valuable young prospects you hope will be good/great someday (the sooner the better). Free agency is for pure need-based acquisitions.

^THIS!!!
And this is the same philosophy to which Mac adheres.  Mac has said many times that in the early rounds of the draft he is BPA all the way.  As you get to the middle to late rounds, you blend BPA with need.

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

the reason there are not alot of hall of fame players on the list is because i forgot about dustin keller? huh? or are you saying the reason is because of all the trades?

6 hours ago, ylekram said:

well, in his defense, there are not alot of players that belong in the hall of fame there

And almost all were taken by GMs who are either unemployed or in Miami.

I dont get the tie in with this thread

3 hours ago, ylekram said:

and i dont get this

Pretty simple.  Whatever your point was with the list of second round picks, the flops I assume, are pointless unless you think Macc is going to continue the work of Tanny and Idzik.

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty simple.  Whatever your point was with the list of second round picks, the flops I assume, are pointless unless you think Macc is going to continue the work of Tanny and Idzik.

like i told another poster, i had no point at all. guys were talking about the possibility of trading a 2nd rounder, i just put the list of 2nd rounders up for informational purposes.

2 hours ago, jetswin said:

lol, no recollection sorry.

Assuming that you are the same Jetswin from the old JI, early in the Sanchez "appreciation" thread you warned people to keep snide and negative comments elsewhere.  But I never bothered to read the beginning of the thread and went right to the last post and of course expressed my deep appreciation that Sanchez was no longer a Jet.  

That cost me a few days.  

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

U know what imean.

next xmas im going to buy u a sarcasm detector

Hard to tell.  If thats an attempt at sarcasm, I think you need to hone your skills a bit more.  Sign someone, anyone, isnt really you know, sarcastic

On 3/16/2016 at 9:41 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Im going to wake up one day to the news that the Jets traded for Mike Glennon, then all will be great in the world....then we'll get to the regular season and this dude will lay an absolute egg and I will literally not hear the end of it! lol. 

I am more than willing to take my chances though. I think Mike Glennon on this team right now makes us a SB contender. I am that certain of this guy. Im not calling him top 5, but im saying that he has enough talent to where we could actually take this division AND get a bye in the playoffs...which generally means that you're a contender. 

i'll take glennon for sure. my point is i wouldnt give them a 1st round pick and i wouldnt give him an 18 mil/year contract either

8 hours ago, HighPitch said:

U know what imean.

next xmas im going to buy u a sarcasm detector

Not only was that a poor attempt at sarcasm, but then you steal someone else's joke just a couple of posts below them. A nice double whammy right there. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Oh, because if you would have responded by giving them ANYTHING for Glennon would have been totally uncalled for and over the line! lol. 

I would give them our franchise's greater player of all time - Joe Namath.

Archived