LB dept. : Courtney Upshaw visiting...

kelly

49ers, possibly Patriots, could enter pursuit of Courtney Upshaw

Linebacker Courtney Upshaw launched his free-agency tour with a trip to visit the Jets. If he doesn’t sign there, other teams have interest.Per a league source, the 49ers and possibly the Patriots represent other alternatives for Upshaw, who started 15 games in 2015 and, in all, 55 games in four seasons — including Super Bowl XLVII.

Upshaw, a second-round pick in 2012, has five career sacks and three forced fumbles. He is listed at No. 33 on the PFT Hot 100 free-agent list.

>     http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/17/49ers-possibly-patriots-could-enter-pursuit-of-courtney-upshaw/

LB Courtney Upshaw will visit with the Jets on Thursday, Peter Schrager of Fox Sports reports (Mar. 16).Upshaw, 26, had 51 combined tackles, two forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries in 16 games last season for the Ravens.

Free agent WR/PR Jordan Norwood will also visit the Jets on Thursday, according to Mike Klis of 9News (Mar. 16).Norwood, 29, had 22 receptions for 207 yards in 11 games for the Broncos last season.

Bent, theJetsBlog.com 

Upshaw was touted as a versatile all-around linebacker when the Ravens made him their top pick with the 35th selection in the 2012 draft. While he's been a solid edge setter for the Ravens, he hasn't been a very productive pass rusher (with only five sacks) and hasn't contributed much in coverage. In the Jets' system, he would replaced Calvin Pace as the strong-side linebacker.Earlier on in the free agency process, it was reported that Upshaw was expected to join the Colts, who still might be in the mix for Upshaw's services.

Norwood doesn't actually have that much experience as a return man, in college or the pros, but that's obviously where the team sees potential in him. Based on last season, he probably wouldn't get much playing time as a smaller slot/possession receiver in the Jeremy Kerley mold, but his play in the Super Bowl was the kind of difference-making special teams contribution the Jets lacked last year. Once again, I'd imagine this would be a low-level deal and that it would by no means guarantee him a spot on the roster.

Brian Bassett, theJetsBlog

Everyone expected Demario Davis would leave and Erin Henderson is still shopping for the best deal. The Jets are wise to keep picking through the pile of replacement linebackers to can bring in before the 2016 NFL Draft. Upshaw's skill set has been as an edge-rushing linebacker, but since Baltimore is letting him walk in free agency at age 26, it should be an indication to his replacement-level play for the Ravens.  

Even considering the level of talent he would bring, Upshaw could find a good fit in New York thanks to its beastly defensive line. With Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson working up front, opposing offensive lines won't be able to devote as much attention to an edge rusher.

For that very same reason, when it comes to the Jets' draft strategy, I have preached caution when it comes to using a first-round pick on an outside linebacker over a similarly competent offensive lineman. The Jets might be able to grab a capable linebacker in the second round who could still do a great job rushing the passer thanks to the guys up front. Similarly, bringing in an Upshaw-type player might not generate that much excitement, but still might prove very competent when paired with the Jets' existing pieces on defense.

>  https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/lb-courtney-upshaw-wr-jordan-norwood-will-visit-jets-on-thursday/167804396

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Which has what to do with entertaining a FA?

We need more than just one draft pick. We need a FA or two as well. We have zero depth at the LB position and I don't think people are getting an understanding of that well enough. Y'all really are okay Harris'es slow ass and virtually a rookie unknown? That's not enough for my comfort.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We need more than just one draft pick. We need a FA or two as well. We have zero depth at the LB position and I don't think people are getting an understanding of that well enough. Y'all really are okay Harris'es slow ass and virtually a rookie unknown? That's not enough for my comfort.

We are already over the cap with our current signings..... Macc has to make some cuts just to sign rookies.  What kind of free agents are we talking about?

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We also have a GM that is 100% in favor or the best player available.  So even if he wants a LB, I assume that if he has a player at another position higher on his board he may not get the chance to draft a LB at that spot.

Which was more my point, we cant just say we need a LB so we need to draft one with the 20th pick.  Its not that simple

As long as he's relatively cheap, makes sense to try to add some more players into the mix at LB, the place they certainly are currently the most lacking.  He is pretty much the equivalent to Pace, so while far from ideal, its not a bad thing to have a solid veteran presence added to the group, especially with only one ILB currently on the roster and Mauldin looking likely to be stepping into the starting spot on the other side.

Archived