Could this have been Darrelle Revis issue?

Villain The Foe

Revis having wrist surgery could have contributed to Revis having a very good season. I say very good because we're used to him being elite...but he wasnt quite that. I dont think that his season was as bad as people like to portray it. Revis didnt "suck" this year. I remember people saying that Amari Cooper owned him with a whopping 5 catches for 46 yards and 0 TD's. He had 5 picks and 9 total takeaways which was the most by a Jet this season. What I will say which is valid was the question "Why is Revis playing off of Sammy Watkins"? I think this injury is the answer to why Revis had the season he had. 

Revis has never been known for his speed, though he isnt slow. He's known for his technique, anticipation and most of all his ability to jam WR's at the line which is what he was (is) truly elite at. He hurt his wrist week 3, an injury that was severe enough to require surgery. So this explains to me why Revis was playing off coverage and didnt really produce the type of season that we're used to seeing from Revis. The wrist injury basically took away what he is elite at which is jamming at the LOS. 

I just thought that this should be taken into consideration when reviewing his season. This imo explains why he's playing 6-7 yards off of Sammy in that last game as well as other games where he was giving so much cushion. The man simply couldnt jam receivers with a broke wrist. 

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

then it just makes it worse bowles was too stubborn to roll coverage his way when he was up against guys like watkins or hopkins

I guess. Revis got burnt on about 2 plays the entire season that I remember. I think Bowles simply thought that its better to keep the play in front of him knowing that Revis is a good tackler than directing coverage to him. I would assume that Revis would have to be up at the line (and being physical) in order to make the coverage over the top relevant. Keeping him off coverage atleast contains the play for the most part. I dont know what Bowles thoughts were, but it does seem like Revis played through a broken wrist this season and played very well given the circumstance. 

Bowles explained after Buffalo that the DB's were playing off coverage to make sure they were always facing the play - so they could spot when Taylor took off on a run. They wanted to limit Taylor's scrambling ability. Plain and simple.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I guess. Revis got burnt on about 2 plays the entire season that I remember. I think Bowles simply thought that its better to keep the play in front of him knowing that Revis is a good tackler than directing coverage to him. I would assume that Revis would have to be up at the line (and being physical) in order to make the coverage over the top relevant. Keeping him off coverage atleast contains the play for the most part. I dont know what Bowles thoughts were, but it does seem like Revis played through a broken wrist this season and played very well given the circumstance. 

the jets were basically one of a small handful of teams that didn't double hopkins or watkins as a base game plan.  bowles said he prefers to "play our game"

considering revis' limitations, that was dumb and cost the jets the playoffs

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Bowles explained after Buffalo that the DB's were playing off coverage to make sure they were always facing the play - so they could spot when Taylor took off on a run. They wanted to limit Taylor's scrambling ability. Plain and simple.

Might feel better about that if he hadn't scrambled for 51 yards and a TD.

Can't roll help to Revis against top flight talent when Cro and Skrine were being beaten constantly by lesser receivers. They needed all of the help they could get. And the linebackers couldn't cover running backs and the fact that the pass rush was not great means less help for Revis. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Can't roll help to Revis against top flight talent when Cro and Skrine were being beaten constantly by lesser receivers. They needed all of the help they could get. And the linebackers couldn't cover running backs and the fact that the pass rush was not great means less help for Revis. 

Agree without a legitimate pass rush the best secondary in the league would be exposed. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I dunno if I'd say they were consistently beaten,  Watkins had 11 receptions, all other Bills WR's had 4 receptions and the RB had 2.  It was painful to watch one guy consistently making uncontested catches.

If that is true, then it was an incredibly stupid game plan by Bowles.

If you want to control Taylor's scrambling ability, then you put 1 spy on him, not the entire friggn' secondary playing 10 yards off the receivers.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

If you want to control Taylor's scrambling ability, then you put 1 spy on him, not the entire friggn' secondary playing 10 yards off the receivers.

It was 9 yards..stop being such a dick.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

You mean like one of our speedy linebackers?? ;-) 

The problem is our linebackers are slow. Another problem to correct for the draft

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This was the problem.

Yes Bowles could have switched up but then you saw what happens to Cro this year in those types of situations.

Bowles was playing the odds but IMO I found fault in the strategy because it made Revis (a HOF player) look bad which a HC simply should never do

The only incredibly stupid thing here is the idea that there exists only a single game plan that should be implemented against a team with a scrambling QB, regardless of the system or players that the defense employs.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Worked like a charm 

Thing is, this would hardly be a topic of conversation at all if Fitzy found Decker for the TD instead of throwing the INT.

The loss was more on the O not scoring enough, rather than the D giving up too much.

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Yet when Taylor wasnt the issue but instead Watkins taking full advantage of the coverage, Bowles didnt change it. Maybe it isnt as simple as he made it seem and just didnt want to get into the fact that they may have actually known of the injury yet never reported it.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Use Pryor as the spy.

Revis and Cro were playing 10 yards off their receivers.

They didn't need safety help over the top.

The problem is that Revis's speed is slowing down and Watkins is quick. Hopkins did a number on him.

In order for Revis to be effective now and eliminate that speed differential, he would need to play close to the line and jam him. Couldn't do that so he was left in a pickle.

Also Safety was thin with Allen getting hurt. Ronald Martin was their 3rd safety.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

You mean like one of our speedy linebackers?? ;-) 

But then do you give the opportunity of gaining 7 yards on every single pass play in order to keep Taylor in front of you for a possible scramble? That would make sense if the man literally couldnt throw the football, but he can and has a pretty solid arm at that. 

It was more than that because when the plan continuously kept the defense on the field they never switched the gameplan....something that the Jets did pretty much the entire season. 

What Bowles said during week 17 and today hearing that Revis injured that wrist in week 3 means that they managed that injury as best they could and gave you stories around it because they didnt put him on the injury report...tipping off the other teams about the injury. That's my opinion, but given the info coming out now and seeing the way Bowles basically didnt change the game plan at all, I think that its safe to assume that Bowles allowing Watkins to roam free was based on the fact that Revis couldnt jam and not because of the possible scrambling threat. 

Think about it. When a defender jams the WR is taught to chop the arms either up or down and away from the body. Why in the world would Bowles want Watkins chopping at Revis broke wrist for 4 quarters???

If the wrist injury was that bad, from week 3, why did it take till week 17 to be a problem?

And if it was that bad, why wait till now for surgery?

I honestly don't see that being why they played Watkins as they did. If Revis was hurt, they could easily switch to another CB + safety help on Watkins on every play, and Revis one on one on the other side.

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

DAMN IT PFTX, STOP being accurate & astute in your football observations!!!!!! :angry:

9 minutes ago, jamesr said:

If the wrist injury was that bad, from week 3, why did it take till week 17 to be a problem?

And if it was that bad, why wait till now for surgery?

I honestly don't see that being why they played Watkins as they did. If Revis was hurt, they could easily switch to another CB + safety help on Watkins on every play, and Revis one on one on the other side.

I guess they could have easily switched out their best corner for a bunch of corners who they werent as confident in to cover a guy who they felt was a threat. Why would you play cushion the entire game when Revis is best known as an elite jammer? Then again, why would you play press and allow Watkins to score 80 yard TD's because he beat Revis replacement? To hear that the decision was based on the possibility of the QB scrambling, yet what ultimately killed the defense WAS the cushion...I think that's equally as suspect. 

Why did he wait 2.5 months to have the surgery?  For teams that miss the playoffs, January through April is basically their vacation.

This will affect his conditioning and football prep, and I guarantee you it costs him games played.

Why did he wait 2.5 months to have the surgery?  For teams that miss the playoffs, January through April is basically their vacation.

This will affect his conditioning and football prep, and I guarantee you it costs him games played.

Seriously?

How many veteran players like 2-a-days in the sweltering July heat?

This is no big deal.

26 minutes ago, varjet said:

Maybe its his fapping hand......

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree it was a coaches decision on Watkins, and  bad one.  I also believe the Revis was hampered by the hamstring he had in camp. He  never fully rested it, and he looked like a guy with no first step  most of the season. Got by on guile, experience, and was involved in a lot ofd positive turnover results.   But did not have his quickness.  Don't care about speed. Speed goes with age.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Not sure why he waited all that time. It is a good question. Tony Romo did the same thing though. The Cowboys didnt make the playoffs yet he waited until March 7th to have collarbone surgery. I dont know if it will cost Revis time though, the man already played with a bad wrist last season. 

23 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I thought we lost by 5 points because our last three possessions ended with interceptions.

Thats precisely what happened, no one is letting Fitz off the hook for that. But since he's no longer a jet I figured we'd talk about Revis situation in the game. 

Archived