Report: Jets Have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith

JetNation

51 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Geno has shown ALL Jets fans what his ceiling is and it is very low indeed. The game simply is too fast for a one read QB which is what he is. When he has to check down or go to second or third options, he gets sacked. Sometimes he gets sacked because he is just stupid....as Rob Ninkovich how easy his sack was.

I dont look at people as having some sort of learning disability. Some people get it quicker than others. Some people had the opportunity to sit and learn, some didnt. Some had an environment that was rather conducive, some have Rex Ryan. 

It is what it is. Either Geno will prove people wrong or he wont. At the end of the day my position still stands. When someone is a rookie, 2nd or 3rd year player going up against the best on the planet things tend to be different. These are guys who have always been "the man" since pee wee league, then when they get to the pros no only are they not the best, they're arguably the worst on the squad as a rookie. So much goes into this step here. Meanwhile fans, many who will never understand those shoes are so quick to write off. 

I dont know how stupid Geno is, but he's atleast smart enough to take this situation and make himself a multimillionaire. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont look at people as having some sort of learning disability. Some people get it quicker than others. Some people had the opportunity to sit and learn, some didnt. Some had an environment that was rather conducive, some have Rex Ryan. 

It is what it is. Either Geno will prove people wrong or he wont. At the end of the day my position still stands. When someone is a rookie, 2nd or 3rd year player going up against the best on the planet things tend to be different. These are guys who have always been "the man" since pee wee league, then when they get to the pros no only are they not the best, they're arguably the worst on the squad as a rookie. So much goes into this step here. Meanwhile fans, many who will never understand those shoes are so quick to write off. 

I dont know how stupid Geno is, but he's atleast smart enough to take this situation and make himself a multimillionaire. 

People who knew him at WVU said he was dumber than a door knob.

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

This is exactly what I figured all along. Mac knows that Geno is a complete POS. Geno is on this team currently because they have no better options right now for a QB. But if the Jets get Fitz back and end up drafting a QB in the draft? Geno is f*cking done and I will be on cloud nine when that happens. It's called good riddance.

I wish I could write so lucid. ?

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And people who knew Fitzpatrick said he graduated from Harvard.....neither one of them are particularly good in the NFL. 

maybe so, but when compared to each other, one is significantly better than the other.

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

maybe so, but when compared to each other, one is significantly better than the other.

maybe so, but based on what "people who know them" say,  Fitz should be wining by a mile. The fact that the comparison is even being made along with the fact that the Jets are not willing to over pay Fitz for mediocrity covered up by great offensive targets shows that it really doesnt matter what other people said about either man in terms of their brightness or attentiveness because that isnt even the subject that football fans are concerned about. 

Unless we're talking Geno Smith. lol. 

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We've heard reports of the exact opposite even from Willie Colon that the team believes in Geno and was impressed on how he practiced, etc. after the incident and losing his job. And having his successor have a good season. So who knows what to believe. I thought that Geno played well in his one relief appearance. And some people as usual are over analyzing every mistake he made in that game.  And sometimes Qbs take more time to learn how to play the position (esp him). Look we might be witnessing in San Francisco a completely failed Qb having a resurrection. It looks like maybe Blaine Gabbert has found a landing spot we're not sure but last season the players and coaches wanted him over Kap. And this year at least on paper Chip Kelly is saying that Blaine is maybe his Qb in 2016. . 

First of all, this article is talking about the regime, not the players.  Second, all Willie Colon said is that Geno deserves to start again if Fitz doesn't come back.

Geno is a good solider, so the regime is okay keeping him as a backup, but there is no chance in hell that he's going to start.  There are just some players that this regime doesn't like on the field, and Geno is one of them (Amaro, Kerley being some others.  

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This thread is about Geno. It has nothing to do with Fitz. If Geno is the starter and Petty the backup, the argument would be the same. It's not trying to hard or getting too many yards. Up until he got smacked it was a very solid play. He didn't finish it properly.

Would you rather talk about the sacks in bounds as the game wound down instead of throwing the ball away? No? Geno is not a good quarterback. Everyone knows it. Move on.

That it isnt or is about Geno isnt the issue.  The ridiculous idea that anyone would want to rip him for gaining yardage for a scramble because of who his backup was is dumb. That you refuse to use the same logic when Fitz was injured is even sillier and paints you as someone who is just whining to whine.

Yeah, I would rather talk anything other than he rant for 20 yards or so.  If you want to to say he took a sack while the game wound down, that would make more sense.  They were getting killed, so rushing trying to make something happen makes total sense.   But then again he didnt take that sack as the game was winding down and more importantly it cost us nothing since he got the first down after than play.  But hey, keep going with this line of nonsense.  Because no one is saying he's a good QB, just you trying to blame him for some nonsense.  He sucked it up for legitimate reasons.  You looking for more than what he's screwed up is telling on many levels

5 hours ago, Green DNA said:

Watching Geno take a 6 or 7 yard loss in the Raiders game by running out of bounds when all he had to do was toss the ball 3 feet to the sideleines was pretty much the final straw for me.  The man is stupid and has no situational awareness, not the kind of guy you want QB'ing your team. 

I understand he does some seemingly brain dead things some days .. particularly the ones that end with y's .. but what about the exemplary character he has shown and his ability to be a leader of men? 

That has to count for something doesn't it?

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the show?"

We have 2+ years of failure on tape plus the coaches see him in practice every day.  Time to move on from Geno Smith. 

If the coaches think that way great. Based on what I've read they don't think like that. Obviously you do.  Or maybe Mac feels that Geno is a cheap backup for year 4. 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You would think a front office trying to keep Fitz's pricetag down would have glowing things to say about Geno.  They don't.  At all.  The only thing Macc has said about him is "He's under contract."

Granted, they haven't had glowing things to say about Petty either.  All that tells me is that they view neither Geno nor Petty as their 2016 Week 1 Starter.  And Fitz and his agent know it, and have known it all along. 

You mean like Bowles saying that if Fitz goes he has to have a backup plan and that he's fine with Geno starting?  

we hear what we want to hear.  

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

People who knew him at WVU said he was dumber than a door knob.

My buddy was offered a free ride by Harvard, and his SATs - combined - 650.

He was an undersized guard and turned them down to go to Valparaiso.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean like Bowles saying that if Fitz goes he has to have a backup plan and that he's fine with Geno starting?  

we hear what we want to hear.  

Indeed you did hear what you wanted to hear.  This was the actual quote, from 5 days ago:

But if the 33-year-old free-agent quarterback doesn’t re-sign with the team, Bowles said Smith and third-stringer Bryce Petty “could be an option.” The coach also noted Smith, 25, has matured quite a bit since the incident, adding: “I think he handles situations differently than I saw him earlier in the year.”

Translation:  We're actively looking for more QB's.  That's our plan B, after Fitz.  Our Plan C/D is the winner of the Geno/Petty competition, a competition no one wants as the QB end game, including the fans, coaches, and Woody Johnson.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Indeed you did hear what you wanted to hear.  This was the actual quote, from 5 days ago:

But if the 33-year-old free-agent quarterback doesn’t re-sign with the team, Bowles said Smith and third-stringer Bryce Petty “could be an option.” The coach also noted Smith, 25, has matured quite a bit since the incident, adding: “I think he handles situations differently than I saw him earlier in the year.”

Translation:  We're actively looking for more QB's.  That's our plan B.  Our Plan C/D is the winner of the Geno/Petty competition.  

Don't translate, just read.  Your quote is editorialized,  His support is a little deeper than the translation 

But Bowles did acknowledge the Jets have backup plans, in case Fitzpatrick leaves. And Geno Smith — the Jets' starter from 2013-14 and their No. 2 last year — is in those plans, according to Bowles. 

He said Smith is "one of the options" to start if Fitzpatrick leaves.

"Obviously, it's open if Fitz doesn't sign back," Bowles said. "We'll see who earns it when it comes about. But there will be a couple different options if he doesn't sign back." 

Smith played in just one game last season. He lost his job to Fitzpatrick in August after then-teammate IK Enemkpali punched Smith and broke his jaw.

But even though Smith spent almost the entire season as Fitzpatrick's understudy, Bowles saw progress from Smith. 

"We thought Geno matured last year," Bowles said. "It was something you couldn't see because he didn't play as much. But you saw it in practice, and you saw it in his demeanor and off-the-field type of stuff. Geno is still our quarterback. He's still on our team and he's still one of our guys. He's matured a lot. We'll come to camp and see if he puts it all together and go from there.

"It's OK to have two good quarterbacks on your team. Fitz ended the year that way [as the starter], so obviously, if he came back, he would start the year that way. You never know by injury or bad performance, but you need quarterbacks on your team."  

Bowles' positive comments about Smith come after Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan also praised Smith. Maccagnan said Smith was technically ahead of Fitzpatrick — as the returning starter — at the time of the punching incident.

Jets owner Woody Johnson has also sounded encouraged this offseason about Smith's increased maturity. 

Remember, immediately after Enemkpali slugged Smith, Bowles said he blamed both players for putting themselves in a "very childish" situation. Enemkpali was angry at Smith because he believed the quarterback owed him money. 

Here was Bowles on Tuesday, speaking about Smith: 

"He's grown a lot mentally and he's grown a lot physically that I saw throughout the year. He just has to stay the path and keep doing what he's doing. I think he handles situations differently than I saw him earlier in the year.

"You learn from your mistakes, as we all do. It looked like, as the year went on, he learned valuable lessons. He was mature and he applied himself and he moved on from it, which was big. It was big to see for him. There's a lot of people, that could destroy your team after going through something like that. But he was a team player. I respect him for that.

"I don't know if [Smith being punched] was a mistake. If I got punched in the face, it would be a mistake, because I would treat that as a mistake. For me, I would treat it as a mistake, just from where I grew up at. I'm not saying that was a mistake [Smith's role in the situation]. I'm just saying he learned.

"I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but it was an experience, so to speak. Maybe mistake was a bad word. And you learn from your experiences. I thought he matured. He kept his head down, he kept working, and he moved on. And that's tough to do."

Jet Nut, your idea that "Bowles is fine with Geno starting" is not supported by either of those articles.  Right now, Geno and Petty are the only 2 QB's on the roster.  Therefore, if no other QB's were added, Geno has a 50/50 shot at winning the job.  That's obvious.  He's an "option" as the roster stands, right now.  But that does not mean Bowles thinks he's a good option.

Meanwhile, we know the Jets are going to add at least one QB, and possibly 2.  All the other fluff in that article about him "maturing" doesn't really matter when that happens.  What's he going to say:  That we have no viable options on the roster and Geno is still a punk who learned nothing from the punch?  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Jet Nut, your idea that "Bowles is fine with Geno starting" is not supported by either of those articles.  Right now, Geno and Petty are the only 2 QB's on the roster.  Therefore, if no other QB's were added, Geno has a 50/50 shot at winning the job.  That's obvious.  He's an "option" as the roster stands, right now.  But that does not mean Bowles thinks he's a good option.

But we know the Jets are going to add at least one QB, and probably 2.  All the other fluff in that article about him "maturing" doesn't really matter when that happens.  What's he going to say:  That we have no viable options on the roster and Geno is still a punk?

Exactly.  If you wanna' look at exactly what the HC said, he says Geno COULD be an option, so basically at this point he's not...but if nobody else is brought in, he could be.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  If you wanna' look at exactly what the HC said, he says Geno COULD be an option, so basically at this point he's not...but if nobody else is brought in, he could be.

I just want to fast forward to the day when we can stop having a debate regarding Geno f*ckin Smith's chances of being the Jets starting QB.  It's tiresome and depressing.  

17 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I am tired of this incompetence by this organization! JoeWilly12 for GM, and CantWait as his assistant GM, MAKE IT HAPPEN WODDY!

Don't you ever get tired of gossiping and whining about other posters? Get a life 

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile, we know the Jets are going to add at least one QB, and possibly 2.  All the other fluff in that article about him "maturing" doesn't really matter when that happens.  What's he going to say:  That we have no viable options on the roster and Geno is still a punk who learned nothing from the punch?  

Ok, convince yourself as others have that what he said is what you think he said.  

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I just want to fast forward to the day when we can stop having a debate regarding Geno f*ckin Smith's chances of being the Jets starting QB.  It's tiresome and depressing.  

O one is debating his chances, just reiterated what the HC said and watching some spin what he actually said into what they hope he said.  

Nothing is tiresome and depressing.  As an adult I skip over the threads that I find tiresome and depressing.  I don't post on every single Geno's chance to play QB and then whine that it's depressing or tiresome.  Especially given the only reason we're having any discussion about who's playing QB in 2016 is because Fitz thinks he should be paid like the QB he has no business be paid like.  He's the one who's asking for more, much more than he's worth.  Get pissed at your guy for being a greedy bastard. 

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, skip the part where he's improved and that the team has two QBs.  

And niwhere does he say, basically (duh), at this point he's not.  Perfect example of reading what you want to read.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

O one is debating his chances, just reiterated what the HC said and watching some spin what he actually said into what they hope he said.  

Nothing is tiresome and depressing.  As an adult I skip over the threads that I find tiresome and depressing.  I don't post on every single Geno's chance to play QB and then whine that it's depressing or tiresome.  Especially given the only reason we're having any discussion about who's playing QB in 2016 is because Fitz thinks he should be paid like the QB he has no business be paid like.  He's the one who's asking for more, much more than he's worth.  Get pissed at your guy for being a greedy bastard. 

I will never begrudge a player for trying to maximize his worth.  Fitz actually had a season where he made a legitimate case for a payday, something we haven't seen out of a QB in a long time.  And yeah, I get that people are going to say he "padded his stats" against weak teams.  And to that, I will also say we haven't had a QB capable of "padding stats" in a long time.  I just heard a stat on NFL Live that Mark Sanchez has averaged more turnovers per game than any QB in the NFL since he entered the league.  That's the kind of sh*tty QB play we've had here, and Geno only continued that level of play.  I'll take a "stat padder" any day over that level of mess.

Last I checked, he hasn't been signed, meaning there is still a very good chance he remains a Jet, at a reduced cost for what the overwhelming majority of teams have to pay their starting QB's.  If he signs with Denver instead, I won't cry about it.  But just don't try to serve Geno Smith on a platter and tell me that Bowles actually wants that guy to be his Week 1 starter.  He isn't the "Plan B" for this team.  The "Plan B" isn't on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In other words, you're on the wrong side of history, and there's nothing more to be said on this topic.

If you think so.  Move on, you're the one who finds any talk that doesn't involve blowing Fitz to be tiresome and depressing.  Can't handle what someone in charge said you you're blaming the messenger.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you think so.  Move on, you're the one who finds any talk that doesn't involve blowing Fitz to be tiresome and depressing.  Can't handle what someone in charge said you you're blaming the messenger.  

You brought Fitz into it, not me.  I'm prepared for life beyond Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It's the people who haven't moved on from Geno Smith that depress me.  I've stayed out of the Geno debates the last several months.   But people still want to hang on for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, skip the part where he's improved and that the team has two QBs.  

And niwhere does he say, basically (duh), at this point he's not.  Perfect example of reading what you want to read.  

I'd be surprised if they even bring in another QB.  No need to with Geno on board.

Archived