Report: Jets Have “little or no faith” in Geno Smith

JetNation

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I will never begrudge a player for trying to maximize his worth.  Fitz actually had a season where he made a legitimate case for a payday, something we haven't seen out of a QB in a long time.  And yeah, I get that people are going to say he "padded his stats" against weak teams.  And to that, I will also say we haven't had a QB capable of "padding stats" in a long-time.  I just heard a stat on NFL Live that Mark Sanchez has averaged more turnovers per game than any QB in the NFL since he entered the league.  That's the kind of sh*tty QB play we've had here.  I'll take a "stat padder" any day over that level of mess.

Last I checked, he hasn't been signed, meaning there is still a very good chance he remains a Jet, at a reduced cost for what the overwhelming majority of teams have to pay their starting QB's.  If he signs with Denver instead, I won't cry about it.  But just don't try to serve Geno Smith on a platter and tell me that Bowles actually wants that guy to be his Week 1 starter.  He isn't the "Plan B" for this team.  The "Plan B" isn't on the roster.

No one, anywhere thinks Fitz is worth what he's asking.  

He was mediocre a year ago, you can believe he's worth top QB money.  I don't care how shltty Sanchez or anyone else was.  That's a pathetic reason for wanting to pay a mediocre QB top dollar.  If he insists that he's worth what he's asking he won't remain a Jet, has 0 chance.  He's gotten no interest from any team that needed a QB even without having to invest a player or pick 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

What will the Geno haters do when he is the starting QB in 2016.

They don't have to worry about that.  Bowles kept him on the bench for the final 14 weeks of the season and named a scrub/jorneyman backup his starter next year for a reason.  

Just now, NJ said:

Suffer through a losing season  - just like you.

Losing 10 games with Geno > winning 10 games with Fitz for some.  If, by some miracle, Geno starts, we'll be the ones suffering.  Geno's fans will be soaking it up and playing the blame game all season, demanding a 5-year extension.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one, anywhere thinks Fitz is worth what he's asking.  

He was mediocre a year ago, you can believe he's worth top QB money.  I don't care how shltty Sanchez or anyone else was.  That's a pathetic reason for wanting to pay a mediocre QB top dollar.  If he insists that he's worth what he's asking he won't remain a Jet, has 0 chance.  He's gotten no interest from any team that needed a QB even without having to invest a player or pick 

I'm in the camp that thinks $9M per is fair for Fitz, topping out at $10M.  Guaranteed money is what really matters anyways.

And you're right, sh*tty QB's aren't a good reason to justify spending big on a decent one.  Which is why I'm glad Macc is handling things better than his predecessors.  Sanchez got big money after playing sh*tty.  Fitz isn't getting big money even after playing well.  He set a value on Fitz and refused to budge.  Now Fitz's options are down to 2 teams, and Elway generally seems to agree with Macc on Fitz's market value.  Macc played it perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm in the camp that thinks $9M per is fair for Fitz, topping out at $10M.  Guaranteed money is what really matters anyways.

And you're right, sh*tty QB's aren't a good reason to justify spending big on a decent one.  Which is why I'm glad Macc is handling things better than his predecessors.  Sanchez got big money after playing sh*tty.  Fitz isn't getting big money even after playing well.  He set a value on Fitz and refused to budge.  Now Fitz's options are down to 2 teams, and Elway generally seems to agree with Macc on Fitz's market value.  Macc played it perfectly.

He wants 18.  They're 9 mil off.  He's maybe decent,. Charlie Casserly and others think he's a mistake at anything over 8 mil.  He wants 18.  Sanchez has nothing to do with the conversation.  Tannya mistake isn't the guideline for Macc. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He wants 18.  They're 9 mil off.  He's maybe decent,. Charlie Casserly and others think he's a mistake at anything over 8 mil.  He wants 18.  Sanchez has nothing to do with the conversation.  Tannya mistake isn't the guideline for Macc. 

Sure it is, and its a lesson a bad GM like Tannenbaum simply never learned.  He paid Tannehill big money too.  The easiest way to get yourself fired is making poor QB decisions.  I'd say its a credit to Macc that so far he's seemed to handle it well.  

And obviously we know the market is set by buyers.  If no one buys Fitz at his originally requested price he'll need to be the one to adjust, not us or the Broncos.  If Fitz doesn't accept $9-$10M then he'll very likely be unemployed.  Only thing he could hope for then is a team with plenty of cap space (like Jacksonville) has their QB get hurt and makes a panic decision, signing him for big money for 1 season.

My guess is Fitz blinks first, signs with us or Denver for a significantly cheaper pricetag, then fires his agent afterwards.  lol.

Come on folks, this article is just another low brow hack writer earning his pay check using speculation to pump up his story. Not a single new FACT or actual NEW quote from the team to even suggest what he is implying.

Here's the bottom line, if Geno is on this team on opening day as either the starter or backup you're going to know for sure this hack is full of it.

Personally I think we will all know for sure either when they bring in a new vet or trade for a

Glennon. I believe if he is still here for training camp they see hope enough to give him one last shot at proving he is over the hump.

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, the over the top attempt at humor.  Missing the point by as wide a margin as possible. 

Actions speak louder than words. Bowles benched Geno for 14 weeks and handed the job to Fitz next year w/o an ounce of hesitation, but he said at a presser Geno has a chance to possibly be an option if Fitz doesn't return so clearly we're making stuff up when we say Geno could be done.

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Actions speak louder than words. Bowles benched Geno for 14 weeks and handed the job to Fitz next year w/o an ounce of hesitation, but he said at a presser Geno has a chance to possibly be an option if Fitz doesn't return so clearly we're making stuff up when we say Geno could be done.

He also rushed Fitz back into action 9 days after getting surgery on his wrist.  That's how scared they were of having to start Geno.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I root for the Jets to win no matter who the QB is. Id like to see what Geno could do with Gailey as the OC and Decker and Marshall at WR. 

You should change your avatar to a pic of Geno's swollen jaw.

40 minutes ago, AFJF said:

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He also rushed Fitz back into action 9 days after getting surgery on his wrist.  That's how scared they were of having to start Geno.

And there's no louder action than you think you're worth 18 mil but we're offering 8 mil.  Along with no other team will pay you what you're asking. 

But keep telling yourself he possible will get a chance to be an option.  It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to rely on being illiterate.  There's nothing like a positive article on Geno from a FO person that brings out the best circle jerk responses on a board.  

8 hours ago, Dcat said:

People who knew him at WVU said he was dumber than a door knob.

After the Jets drafted Geno, one of the first things I did was ask the biggest WVU fan I knew what he thought of Geno's chances to be a successful pro.  Even after a really good Senior Season, he kind of just shrugged and went "I dunno man."

I should have known right then to abandon all hope.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

After the Jets drafted Geno, one of the first things I did was ask the biggest WVU fan I knew what he thought of Geno's chances to be a successful pro.  Even after a really good Senior Season, he kind of just shrugged and went "I dunno man."

I should have known right then to abandon all hope.

But @cant wait says Genos awesome, and he is really smart, so something is wrong here

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And there's no louder action than you think you're worth 18 mil but we're offering 8 mil.  Along with no other team will pay you what you're asking. 

But keep telling yourself he possible will get a chance to be an option.  It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to rely on being illiterate.  There's nothing like a positive article on Geno from a FO person that brings out the best circle jerk responses on a board.  

One has nothing to do with the other. We aren't talking about how much Ryan Fitzpatrick is worth. We're talking about how the Jets view Geno Smith. The Jets benched him for 14 consecutive weeks and they have already named Fitzpatrick the starter.  

Those actions and that announcement speak louder than any off-season interview in which the head coach said something nice about one of his players.

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Oh that's nothing, he PMs me and challenges me to fights daily, then doesn't show up, and tells me he is a 6'4 black dude and I should meet him in Brownsville. Funny sh1t

Just one big happy family. ?‍?‍?‍?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

One has nothing to do with the other. We aren't talking about how much Ryan Fitzpatrick is worth. We're talking about how the Jets view Geno Smith. The Jets benched him for 14 consecutive weeks and they have already named Fitzpatrick the starter.  

Those actions and that announcement speak louder than any off-season interview in which the head coach said something nice about one of his players.

No, you're arguing everything but the point.  That Bowles has said he's ok with Geno as plan B.  

Making a point that Fitz won the job a year ago due to injury and that he was left in as the starter because they got off to a hot start has nothing to do with whether Bowles would be ok starting Geno in 2016.

no matter how much you try to dispute what Bowles actually said. 

9 minutes ago, Bob said:

I have come to the conclusion that "Jet Nut" is Smith's agent. He's not Smith, himself, because his posts are coherent, if ridiculous.

Find the post where I'm saying anything about Smith as a viable starter.  People keep confusing the message that Bowles put out with me going to bat for Smith Bob.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Find the post where I'm saying anything about Smith as a viable starter.  People keep confusing the message that Bowles put out with me going to bat for Smith Bob.  

Remind me again bro ... When is the time during the year that the front offices and head coaches send out misinformation to assist with contract negotiations?

2 hours ago, ljr said:

Remind me again bro ... When is the time during the year that the front offices and head coaches send out misinformation to assist with contract negotiations?

We're dealing with what they actually are saying, not what want them to have said. What you believe the reason behind what they did has nothing to do with squat.  No interpretation here, simply what was said.  It's not this hard

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, you're arguing everything but the point.  That Bowles has said he's ok with Geno as plan B.  

Making a point that Fitz won the job a year ago due to injury and that he was left in as the starter because they got off to a hot start has nothing to do with whether Bowles would be ok starting Geno in 2016.

You are incorrect.  Again.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We're dealing with what they actually are saying, not what want them to have said. What you believe the reason behind what they did has nothing to do with squat.  No interpretation here, simply what was said.  It's not this hard

You're right. Upper level management and coaches in pro sports never say one thing and then do another. "We'll never trade player X" and two days later player X gets traded. You can take what these guys say at face value but you're going to need a barrel of salt to go with it. 

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It is amazing how everyone is a mind reader.  I posted the article last week that quoted Bowles directly (someone reposted it in this thread) yet everyone wants to focus on what a "reporter" from Bleacher Report has "reported".  If the information was reversed, they would saying, "who the **** is Jason Coles and what the hell does he know?" Lol, JetNation, where the laughs just keep on coming.  Reading this board is better than watching Comedy Central. 

Archived