Brian Hoyer to Jets ?

kelly

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Everybody has their flavor, but I think the best band aid is Geno. Been in house, knows the system by now, has a good supporting cast. My preference is trying and packaging up Mo and our first into the 6-7 spot for Goff. Baltimore and SF are typical movers. Balt isn't so flush with cap space, but who knows.

So you would have Geno running the show for a year or less with a good supporting cast, with Goff waiting in the wings. All other options are a bigger bandaid.

If Geno is the starting QB in 2016, you're conceding the season before it even starts. Trading up is fine, but I don't think any of these QBs inspire confidence to be great and you don't trade up for average (see Mark Sanchez, etc).

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

How was he a complete failure? He had 19 TDs to 7 int ratio with a 91 QB rating.  He did not play well in the playoff game, but his stats were similar to Fitzpatrick's last season in Texas.

As Sperm alluded to a second ago, those numbers were more than a bit deceptive.  He had several games where he got hot in garbage time, when the JJ Watt-led defense did most of the heavy lifting. 

If the Texans thought the 19 TD/7 INT Hoyer was the "real Hoyer", and that the 4-INT game was just an anomaly, they wouldn't have gone out and overspent on Osweiler, a guy with 5 games of "meh" play under his belt. 

If the Texans thought the 19 TD/7 INT Hoyer was the "real Hoyer", and that the 4-INT game was just an anomaly, they wouldn't have gone out and overspent on Osweiler, a guy with 5 games of "meh" play under his belt. 

5 "meh" games?

You do realize he beat the Bengals, Steelers and Pats?

And actually he lost to the Steelers on Dec 20.  The Peyton-led Broncos beat the Steelers in the playoffs.

Against the Pats he completed 54.8 % of his throws, with 1 TD and 1 INT.  Stellar performance there!

He did play well against the Bengals. Actually that was his best game, then after a 1 TD, 2 INT day against the Chargers, he was benched again.

Totally worth $18M a year. 

21 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Geno is the starting QB in 2016, you're conceding the season before it even starts. Trading up is fine, but I don't think any of these QBs inspire confidence to be great and you don't trade up for average (see Mark Sanchez, etc).

Why am I conceding? Really solid defense, good supporting cast, Geno has a much more QB friendly system as well. It is possible for a QB to grow and gain confidence back. Especially in a more friendly system and with better receivers than David Nelson. Do I want Geno long term? No. But considering all the options, this would be the safest one IMO.

31 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I dont see us getting that High with MO, we would have to give up more than MO.

Mo plus 20, plus a conditional next years (4 to 3) would work. Well worth it for a potential franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Why am I conceding? Really solid defense, good supporting cast, Geno has a much more QB friendly system as well. It is possible for a QB to grow and gain confidence back. Especially in a more friendly system and with better receivers than David Nelson. Do I want Geno long term? No. But considering all the options, this would be the safest one IMO.

Really solid defense? Who are the current outside linebackers? Who is the number 2 corner? Where are sacks and pressures going to come from? Is Richardson going to get suspended? Is Wilk even here next year?

Sure, there is a decent supporting cast on offense, unfortunately Geno is still Geno and he will lose more games than he wins. He's not good. He had three chances. Three strikes and you're out.

18 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Really solid defense? Who are the current outside linebackers? Who is the number 2 corner? Where are sacks and pressures going to come from? Is Richardson going to get suspended? Is Wilk even here next year?

Sure, there is a decent supporting cast on offense, unfortunately Geno is still Geno and he will lose more games than he wins. He's not good. He had three chances. Three strikes and you're out.

No 2 corner? Anybody other than cromartie will be better, period. MW happens to be pretty good from what my eyes showed me. You seem to think that defenses are built on a bunch of great individual players, but they're not. You don't have to have stars everywhere to have a solid defense. The defense last year was solid to above solid. Pieces were lost sure, but you still have a great defensive coach who has proven to field solid defenses, so Ill trust him until he shows me otherwise.

Geno is still Geno? That is a very ignorant statement. Its unrealistic to think someone can improve/grow and have things slow down for him. Especially with a much better supporting cast, and IMO a much better offensive scheme/coaching. I used to think like you in my early years, then I grew up.

Just now, The Engineer said:

No 2 corner? Anybody other than cromartie will be better, period. MW happens to be pretty good from what my eyes showed me. You seem to think that defenses are built on a bunch of great individual players, but they're not. You don't have to have stars everywhere to have a solid defense. The defense last year was solid to above solid. Pieces were lost sure, but you still have a great defensive coach who has proven to field solid defenses, so Ill trust him until he shows me otherwise.

Geno is still Geno? That is a very ignorant statement. Its unrealistic to think someone can improve/grow and have things slow down for him. Especially with a much better supporting cast, and IMO a much better offensive scheme/coaching. I used to think like you in my early years, then I grew up.

Marcus Williams was solid in a relief role, but there is no depth behind him and you have no idea if he can handle playing 90% of snaps or more. Until you see it, it's a question mark. The defense last year was solid and should be solid again, but let's not put it on a pedestal before actually seeing it.

What QBs had first 3 seasons like Geno and then magically figured it out to a successful career? None, because none got punched in the face over a lack of maturity on and off the field. Geno is not a viable option. Not even close.

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Marcus Williams was solid in a relief role, but there is no depth behind him and you have no idea if he can handle playing 90% of snaps or more. Until you see it, it's a question mark. The defense last year was solid and should be solid again, but let's not put it on a pedestal before actually seeing it.

What QBs had first 3 seasons like Geno and then magically figured it out to a successful career? None, because none got punched in the face over a lack of maturity on and off the field. Geno is not a viable option. Not even close.

I actually said a solid defense, not great. I watched Geno have some really good moments, and some really bad ones. The reason I have a bit of faith is because of the garbage support staff he had, as well as the garbage coaching. His confidence got shot, I get it. Of all the other options out there (fitz, hoyer, etc), he is the safest one because of the supporting staff now, his knowledge of the system for a year (knowledge of something gives you more confidence in it), and the fact that he actually has some tools to work with. I never said he was the ideal choice, but considering what is left and hoping for some draft day move, this is the safest choice.

45 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

I actually said a solid defense, not great. I watched Geno have some really good moments, and some really bad ones. The reason I have a bit of faith is because of the garbage support staff he had, as well as the garbage coaching. His confidence got shot, I get it. Of all the other options out there (fitz, hoyer, etc), he is the safest one because of the supporting staff now, his knowledge of the system for a year (knowledge of something gives you more confidence in it), and the fact that he actually has some tools to work with. I never said he was the ideal choice, but considering what is left and hoping for some draft day move, this is the safest choice.

He had a chance last year against the Raiders. The Jets decided to rush Ryan Fitzpatrick back from surgery rather than play Geno. I think that's about all that needs to be said.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He had a chance last year against the Raiders. The Jets decided to rush Ryan Fitzpatrick back from surgery rather than play Geno. I think that's about all that needs to be said.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

pls be adv. : geno is awful... AWFUL   :(

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

The offense last year was set up for limp arm Fitzpatrick the WRs werent used to the rocket arm Smith instead they ran routes to compensate for a weaker arm Fitzpatrick. 

(I too can talk sh*t like the Fitzapologists) 

The offense last year was set up for limp arm Fitzpatrick the WRs werent used to the rocket arm Smith instead they ran routes to compensate for a weaker arm Fitzpatrick. 

Jets QB options in priority:

1) Trade up to #2 and grab Wentz (trade Mo and give the Browns your 2017 #1 pick).

2) Deal for either Glennon or Kaep.

3) Start Petty from day one and see if he has what it takes to be a NFL QB.

Last thing the Jets should do is waste their time with crap QB's like Fitz, Hoyer or Geno.

He had his chance in 1 game? A handful of games into a new system, more than likely not having developed any chemistry with any of his receivers because fitz probably got most to all of the reps with them. Ya its pretty unrealistic to think he could do better with a year and being more comfortable. You are totally right (sarcasm for you can't see the bigger picture). fitz had a lot more games and looked like sh*t for most of them. Im not saying he's the best choice, but with the choices we have, probably the smartest (in hopes of drafting a franchise one).

Draft a qb, start Geno, don't sign a scrub JAG. If Geno does good, great. Someone will sign him next offseason for something yielding a comp pic, at the same time giving a new draft pic a chance to not get thrown into the fire immediately.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

1) Trade up to #2 and grab Wentz (trade Mo and give the Browns your 2017 #1 pick).

Last thing the Jets should do is waste their time with crap QB's like Fitz, Hoyer or Geno.

I could not agree more. 

11 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

He had his chance in 1 game? A handful of games into a new system, more than likely not having developed any chemistry with any of his receivers because fitz probably got most to all of the reps with them. Ya its pretty unrealistic to think he could do better with a year and being more comfortable. You are totally right (sarcasm for you can't see the bigger picture). fitz had a lot more games and looked like sh*t for most of them. Im not saying he's the best choice, but with the choices we have, probably the smartest (in hopes of drafting a franchise one).

Draft a qb, start Geno, don't sign a scrub JAG. If Geno does good, great. Someone will sign him next offseason for something yielding a comp pic, at the same time giving a new draft pic a chance to not get thrown into the fire immediately.

He had all of the time and chances in preseason before he got knocked out. But. Yeah. Start him up!

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Like the nice deep ball against the Raiders that was under thrown and picked off...but you would probably blame Fitz for that too.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Agree PatsFanTX 

QB or bust!!!!!!

47 years and counting lets get a franchise QB here once and for all. 

Hmmmm in truth TX I was thinking the same thing especially items 2 an 3.  My concern with the number #1 is I am not sure that Wentz can start right away and this is NY were we want to rush everything hence in part the 40 plus years of misery.

Putting that aside, IMO the fact that the Jets have been reluctant to move off of Fitz is not because they haven't thought of the options you list, but because they really feel that Petty can be the real deal, with the proper grooming and requisite growth. 

It seems that they understand that many QBs entering the NFL today will require development and they don't want to rush Petty before he is ready but I have a strange feeling that if Fitz doesn't return that the Jet might be willing to roll the dice and put him out there.

He had all of the time and chances in preseason before he got knocked out. But. Yeah. Start him up!

Now your talking about his reps in the preseason... You are a fool. I would say something, but since I'm new here ill just say GFY.

1. Try coughing up another #1 Pick to move that far.  And if Wentz is a franchise QB, why wouldn't the Browns want him?  Please don't say RGIII because lol, no.

2. Glennon, eh?  Ok, Trade this years #1 Pick + something more.  For a backup.  Who was benched.  And is a free Agent next year.  Lol, no.

3. Start Petty, who is so very clearly not ready yet.  Brilliant idea.  and when we go 2-14, and Petty is sacked a few dozen times and throws 30 INT's, I'm sure he'll just chalk it up to a learning experience, right?

Idiocy at it's worst.  Overpay massively for a shot in the dark Draft Pick, Overpay murderously for a failed backup soon-to-be-free-agent, or waste the only developmental guy we currently have rushing him well before he's ready.

Oh, well yeah, this is exactly what I'd expect a Pats Fan to want to see, as all these options suck and ensure we lose 2 next year to the Pats.  Carry on then.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Try coughing up another #1 Pick to move that far.  And if Wentz is a franchise QB, why wouldn't the Browns want him?  Please don't say RGIII because lol, no.

2. Glennon, eh?  Ok, Trade this years #1 Pick + something more.  For a backup.  Who was benched.  And is a free Agent next year.  Lol, no.

3. Start Petty, who is so very clearly not ready yet.  Brilliant idea.  and when we go 2-14, and Petty is sacked a few dozen times and throws 30 INT's, I'm sure he'll just chalk it up to a learning experience, right?

Idiocy at it's worst.  Overpay massively for a shot in the dark Draft Pick, Overpay murderously for a failed backup soon-to-be-free-agent, or waste the only developmental guy we currently have rushing him well before he's ready.

Oh, well yeah, this is exactly what I'd expect a Pats Fan to want to see, as all these options suck and ensure we lose 2 next year to the Pats.  Carry on then.

Tennessee has the #1 pick dont they.

You are kidding right, Fish?

The Jets haven't had an elite QB since Namath. That's over a half friggn' century ago.

1). Offer up Mo and next year's #1 and the Browns will at least listen. Not like the Jets have nailed their draft picks over the last 10 years.

2) Glennon would be the best QB option for the Jets in the last 10 years and he would not cost a #1 pick.

3) How the hell do you know Petty is not ready? Was Brady ready in his 2nd year in the NFL when he won a Super Bowl?

Not sure why I am arguing about NFL QB's with a poster who has claimed Patrick Ramsey is an elite NFL QB.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

^^ The troll gets it.  Not sure #1 is reasonable due to needing  to go so far to move up but if it is you do it.  Then run out of the building before someone notices it.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

POTW nom

Archived