Norman contract screws Patriots

Jetster

Butlers agent is smiling ear to ear! He's a restricted free agent after this season & after Norman just got 50 million, Butler is gonna be looking to get PAID! He's making $600,000 in 2016, lol. How much better is Norman than Butler? $49,400,000? LMAO! That's gonna be fun to watch.

Many, many people touted him as a top 5 CB in the league last year. So you'll have Butler, Collins, Hightower, all wanting to get paid, plus Bennett will be a free agent again. Love it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Butlers agent is smiling ear to ear! He's a restricted free agent after this season & after Norman just got 50 million, Butler is gonna be looking to get PAID! He's making $600,000 in 2016, lol. How much better is Norman than Butler? $49,400,000? LMAO! That's gonna be fun to watch.

Many, many people touted him as a top 5 CB in the league last year. So you'll have Butler, Collins, Hightower, all wanting to get paid, plus Bennett will be a free agent again. Love it.

Pats will either trade Butler or just let him hit FA.

Resigning Collins and Hightower are far more important.

Don't start comparing Butler to Revis it is way to soon for that. I will take an old worn down Revis over a fresh young Butler any day.

Sure you would, you are a Jets fan.

Jets are paying Revis $17MM and the Pats are paying Butler $600,000.

Yep, old worn out Revis is definitely worth that coin.

This won't affect NEP at all because they were never going to pay Butler at that rate anyways. They did give Devin McCourtey a big contract with about 28.5 mil guaranteed very unusual for BB. Bui they thought McCourtey was essential to their defense. He basically calls signals and sets up players and knows the D Belichick wants on the field in different situations. They had no one who could duplicate that so they paid him. With the Patriots it's as much mental as it is physical. 

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

someone else will be paying Butler close to that amount soon. Revis is a future hall of famer. Butler will be remembered as that nobody who got lucky and caught an interception thrown directly to him on what should have been a running play.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

TX Butler is a nobody he made 1 key play to win the Super Bowl many never heard of the guy before this and before his MVP status.

Look I've been ripping the Jets for overpaying Revis and killing our cap in 2016. He openly stated last year that he wanted a guaranteed 40 mil and Woody was the first to plunk it down. I think the reason was a reaction to the sniping by the press and fans during and after 2014 esp concerning us not signing an elite CB. IMO that was all coming from Rex who couldn't coach up a defense unless they had great corners. The funny thing is that a lot of other teams were able to get through seasons with injuries in their secondary forcing them to use practice squad players in starting positions and they did a lot better than Rex did. I'm hoping that Darrelle steps it up a notch in 2016 and is the great player he used to be. Last season he wasn't. But in terms of Butler, he can't hold Darrelle's jock strap. And I'd still take him over Norman who doesn't have the intangibles that Revis does. The Wash contract to Norman is one of the worst of all time. And like most Daniel Snyder overpaid players there's a great chance he doesn't like up to even close to that deal and the Redskins don't improve. 

TX Butler is a nobody he made 1 key play to win the Super Bowl many never heard of the guy before this and before his MVP status.

Butler never won a Super Bowl MVP.

He had a solid year last season for dirt cheap.

Jets pay Revis $17MM and he's not even an All-Pro.

SOJ.

But in terms of Butler, he can't hold Darrelle's jock strap. And I'd still take him over Norman who doesn't have the intangibles that Revis does. 

Exactly what intangibles does Revis possess?

The ability to give up 10-yard cushions and always needing safety help over the top?

Norman is twice the CB that Revis is today.

Stop living in the past, Revis is nowhere the player he was back in '09 and '10.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The ability to give up 10-yard cushions and always needing safety help over the top?

Stop living in the past, Revis is nowhere the player he was back in '09 and '10.

Get a grip on reality.  He had two bad games against two of the best WRs in football.  At least one of those games was while injured.  He played most of the season dinged up and injured.  Other than those couple of games he gave up little and still is better, easily, than anyone your team throws out there.  10 yard cushions and needs safety help?  OK

Norman was toasted by O Beckham and others, doesnt play man

40 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Like leadership on the field plus knowledge of the game. He knows how to get physical and mentally disarm opponents, too. Why do you think Belichick signed him for the 12 mil. He got a bargain and a chance to get one of the best D players in the NFL. But last year he did give up cushions and was beaten by esp younger and faster Wrs. Norman isn't that good. He got away with that crap with Beckham in one game. You're right though he is based on last season better than Revis. But I think in 2016 it will be reversed. If Revis is healthy.  And Butler while good isn't in his stratosphere. 

Like leadership on the field plus knowledge of the game. He knows how to get physical and mentally disarm opponents, too. Why do you think Belichick signed him for the 12 mil. He got a bargain and a chance to get one of the best D players in the NFL. But last year he did give up cushions and was beaten by esp younger and faster Wrs. Norman isn't that good. He got away with that crap with Beckham in one game. You're right though he is based on last season better than Revis. But I think in 2016 it will be reversed. If Revis is healthy.  And Butler while good isn't in his stratosphere. 

Teams will go after Revis this year instead of staying away from him.

Always go after the weak link in the secondary.

21 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Teams will go after Revis this year instead of staying away from him.

Always go after the weak link in the secondary.

I think he will be improved but he is not a 16 mil player or close to it as Belichick knows. Too bad Woody didn't. Not Mac's fault on this one.

24 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Agree, that was all on Woody trying to save face with the fans.

As Belichick knows vintage Revis was better than any of these guys. I'm interested to see what he does in 2016. On smarts alone he's still a lot better than many of these corners. 

As Belichick knows vintage Revis was better than any of these guys. I'm interested to see what he does in 2016. On smarts alone he's still a lot better than many of these corners. 

Revis is (or was) a press coverage, man-to-man CB. Smarts alone will not help him there at all. That type of CB is all about physical skills, which are declining rather quickly in Revis' case.

The complete opposite is Ty Law. Couldn't play man-to-man worth a crap but was phenomenal in zone coverage where he used his smarts to always jump routes.

To this day, I'm still pissed the Pats let Law go to the Jets where he led the NFL in picks his first year with the Jets.

33 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Revis is (or was) a press coverage, man-to-man CB. Smarts alone will not help him there at all. That type of CB is all about physical skills, which are declining rather quickly in Revis' case.

The complete opposite is Ty Law. Couldn't play man-to-man worth a crap but was phenomenal in zone coverage where he used his smarts to always jump routes.

To this day, I'm still pissed the Pats let Law go to the Jets where he led the NFL in picks his first year with the Jets.

I don't agree and you can ask Brandon Marshall about that. Revis would destroy his opponent mentally and physically. While Marshall is a strong dude he was  outmatched by Revis in the mental and psychological aspects of the game. He would wear an opponent down plus he had the great coverage skills. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't agree and you can ask Brandon Marshall about that. Revis would destroy his opponent mentally and physically. While Marshall is a strong dude he was  outmatched by Revis in the mental and psychological aspects of the game. He would wear an opponent down plus he had the great coverage skills. 

I still think Revis has something in the tank, but you are basically proving TX's point here by referring to everything about Revis in the past tense...."would destroy"    "was outmatched"      "would wear an opponent down"    'had the great coverage skills." Kind of what he is saying.

I still think Revis has something in the tank, but you are basically proving TX's point here by referring to everything about Revis in the past tense...."would destroy"    "was outmatched"      "would wear an opponent down"    'had the great coverage skills." Kind of what he is saying.

Thank you, that is exactly my point.

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

I was agreeing with you on Revis declining as a player in a different thread and I also hate his contract but he's still comfortably a top 5 CB in the league. Just not the clear top 1 he was a few years ago.

You lose credibility when you say Norman is twice the CB. I think that will become pretty obvious now he's out of Carolina. 

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-jets-darrelle-revis-completion-percentage-stats-122915

Add that to the plays he made and it's simply absurd to suggest he isn't still and elite player, he's just an overpaid one. 

Archived