My Rant About #20

SR24

Numerous mocks and experts are saying Lynch to the Jets is a perfect fit and I completely disagree. He may be a perfect fit for the team, but not for that first round pick at #20. This team has a ton of holes and a difficult schedule coming up we need to take a player that can make an immediate impact on the team and help us win games.Lynch is a project player who won't help us this year i'd much rather take Jaylon Smith later in the draft if we want a player who won't help us until 2017. If it were up to me the choice at #20 is down to 2 people Noah Spence or Laquon Treadwell. Spence is regarded as the best edge rusher in the draft which has been a team need for years although his off field issues are alarming, having veterans in the locker like mangold,marshall and revis could keep him in check. Treadwell has it all IMO size, speed, good hands and is someone who loves to go up and fight for the ball. WR isn't exactly a position of need but  without a franchise QB the next best thing we can do is provide as many offensive weapons as possible to whoever is running our offense Fitz Geno Hoyer whoever. Marshall 6'4, Treadwell 6'3 on the outside with Decker in the slot and Forte out of the backfield would be devastating. I just hope we don't take Lynch at 20 or worse we dont trade up for him!

21 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Numerous mocks and experts are saying Lynch to the Jets is a perfect fit and I completely disagree. He may be a perfect fit for the team, but not for that first round pick at #20. This team has a ton of holes and a difficult schedule coming up we need to take a player that can make an immediate impact on the team and help us win games.Lynch is a project player who won't help us this year i'd much rather take Jaylon Smith later in the draft if we want a player who won't help us until 2017. If it were up to me the choice at #20 is down to 2 people Noah Spence or Laquon Treadwell. Spence is regarded as the best edge rusher in the draft which has been a team need for years although his off field issues are alarming, having veterans in the locker like mangold,marshall and revis could keep him in check. Treadwell has it all IMO size, speed, good hands and is someone who loves to go up and fight for the ball. WR isn't exactly a position of need but  without a franchise QB the next best thing we can do is provide as many offensive weapons as possible to whoever is running our offense Fitz Geno Hoyer whoever. Marshall 6'4, Treadwell 6'3 on the outside with Decker in the slot and Forte out of the backfield would be devastating. I just hope we don't take Lynch at 20 or worse we dont trade up for him!

Agreed, unless we move Mo & end up with more picks.

19 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I don't think anyone is trading up for Lynch. All this noise is coming from the media. Recent history has shown us that QB prospects with questions have been dropping in recent years. It seems once they make it out of the top 5 they tend to drop to the 20s or beyond. Carr, Geno, Bridgewater, or Brady Quinn. In fact if history holds there should be a surprise QB taken, such as EJ Manuel Tebow, or like Johnny Football being taken in front of Teddy, or Carr.

I won't be excited about Lynch at 20, but if we trade up I'll lose faith in Mac. That's not how you play the draft wisely. 

I'm starting to love the Treadwell pick, especially because of Chans spread offense. You can't cover all of these guys & Chan loves 4 wides, Marshall, Decker, Treadwell,Enunwa, with Forte/Powell out of the backfield! Both RBs are great blockers which nullifies a blitz & with those 4 guys running routes you better get to the QB.

Add in the fact that all 4 of those receivers are tough, built & can block, every completion could be a long play if 2/3 guys are already tied up or on the ground. There is no doubt that in size & ability that would be the deepest WR group in the league, and if you get Smith back, you now have that swap with Enunwa that adds scary deep speed to the equation which opens lanes for the RBs getting dump offs. 

I forgot about Amaro too. Chan would have a lot of combinations to use depending on the defenses we face. Small secondary, he could go real big, Marshall, Treadwell, Amaro, Decker, slower team, throw Smith in there with Enunwa & sit Amaro. I was so sick of having such a sh*tty offense for so long, last year was exciting to see guys running & scoring. Knowing how well this offense ran with Powell & how much he was missed when injured solidifies my thoughts that Forte will be a STUD playing with these guys.

If Mac is going BAP, it could very well be Treadwell. I can't see it being Lynch. It would be drafting for need and a reach imo.

I would much rather take Hackenberg later on. I know his stats look awfull, but I think he is much better than that.

Watch this video (a bit long, but informative):

9 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Doctson is way better than Treadwell.

Im fine with either guy, that's why we have a new scout team. I'll trust their judgement, if both are there I'll be happy with whoever they deem the most worthy to compliment Marshall & Decker. 3 stud WRs would be fun to watch & make it crazy difficult to defend the whole field & the dumpoffs to Forte & Powell who both possess great hands.

7 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Doctson is way better than Treadwell.

Eh

would you rather have a guy whos play is similar to Brandon Marshall (treadwell) or a guy who plays similar to Aj green (doctson) both are good but it depends on what the OCs do with the offense

8 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Eh

would you rather have a guy whos play is similar to Brandon Marshall (treadwell) or a guy who plays similar to Aj green (doctson) both are good but it depends on what the OCs do with the offense

They are both 6 2  Doctson is faster and catches everything and is very good locating ball in the air and getting after it

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Treadwell plays more physical and is a phenomenal blocker downfield. A big physical possession receiver he's a prefect fit for this offense 

Me likey. If Clady pans out & Macc trades Mo & uses those picks on a stud Olineman that drops & we luck into a Noah Spence in round 2, I'd be doing cartwheels. Could you imagine a trio of Treadwell, Stud Oline, Spence with our 4th rounder still to come?

Somewhere in the 1st round of this draft, a defense needy team is gonna look at who's on the board, think about Mo Wilkerson instead & pull the trigger. If it doesn't happen, then Macc was right all along. I get you have to pay him but just go back & revisit last years 1st round & imagine having the money to fit Mo Wilkerson instead. Guaranteed Stud DT with absolutely no character issues vs complete & utter roll of the dice defensive player. Exciting draft coming up, who knows what will happen after the 2 QBs fall off the board at 1/2. 28 chances for a Mo deal.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

without a franchise QB the next best thing we can do is provide as many offensive weapons as possible to whoever is running our offense Fitz Geno Hoyer whoever. Marshall 6'4, Treadwell 6'3 on the outside with Decker in the slot and Forte out of the backfield would be devastating. I just hope we don't take Lynch at 20 or worse we dont trade up for him!

this argument would make a little sense if you were ranting about the jets taking an OT, but you are ranting about them taking a QB mostly because they don't have one

1 minute ago, Larz said:

this argument would make a little sense if you were ranting about the jets taking an OT, but you are ranting about them taking a QB mostly because they don't have one

A qb who can make an immediate impact. We already have a project qb in Petty I'm not opposed to another qb in this draft but I'd rather wait on someone like Hogan or Hackenberg than Lynch. 

I would be quite happy and surprised if either Lynch or Treadwell are there at #20. They seem to be gone in most mocks.  Several have Rex Ryan taking Lynch right in front of us.  

I think it's going to come down to a choice between Spence and Floyd, to be honest.

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

A qb who can make an immediate impact. We already have a project qb in Petty I'm not opposed to another qb in this draft but I'd rather wait on someone like Hogan or Hackenberg than Lynch. 

I haven't watched any of these QBs play with the exception of Goff after his name starting getting buzz, and that was just one game so I am not going to get into preference with you, but the goal is to win a championship and I will wait for a project.  I've been waiting since '81 and to my eyes all of these rookies are projects

I hate to state the obvious but there isn't a single rookie in this draft that is going to significantly change our W/L in 2016, with the exception of maybe Elliott.  Spence would have to have at least a dozen sacks.  Who was the last rookie pass rushing LB had double digit sacks his rookie year?

And Treadwell, love the pick, but how many balls is he going to catch in 2016?  How many more wins will he give us this year.  

take it or leave it, this draft will be for 2017 or more so 2018.  You draft for potential.  Parcels drafted for immediate impact and all he ended up with but a bunch of short term special teamers and OL depth.

if the organization feels Lynch will be their franchise QB, you go get him anywhere you can.  If they don't think a QB in this class can be "the guy," then pass on all of them.

1 hour ago, SR24 said:

I just do not understand this philosophy on any level. There is nothing worse in the NFL than to be marginally "competitive", and thought processes like this lead to that endless cycle of mediocrity. If there is a reasonable chance of Lynch becoming a franchise guy you take him period. You trade up for him.  The thought that a defensive starter at #20 is more valuable than a potential franchise QB in a year o 2 is completely and totally asinine (not directed at you personally). NOTHING is more important than finding the QB first. Trying to fill in other parts of the team and be "competitive" is just a recipe for continuous mediocrity I have no interest in that. This is also why a head coach should have almost 0% say in "shopping for the groceries" The short term desire of the HC are opposed to the long term strategic success of the team. Now if you think Lynch will be a bust you pass, but even if you feel there is 30% chance of him becoming a franchise guy it is likely worth the rest and definitely at 50/50.

1 hour ago, CPH said:

If Mac is going BAP, it could very well be Treadwell. I can't see it being Lynch. It would be drafting for need and a reach imo.

I would much rather take Hackenberg later on. I know his stats look awfull, but I think he is much better than that.

ALL teams draft for need. I have been watching the replays of the drafts and it is obvious that teams pick the best player at the position of need. Situations like last year where we had a completely different tier of player available to us is the only time teams really take BPA.. And that only happens in the first round, and the later rounds for depth. For the most parts rounds 1-4 are the best players available at a position of need. Polian talks about this all the time.

18 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

All he did was do drugs in college.  

and seems to have learned his lesson,  completed rehab, went back to get his degree, reports are good from Eastern Kentucky.   Sheldon might be a greater risk of a failed drug test then Noah Spence, I would be ok if he is a Jet this weekend

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

and seems to have learned his lesson,  completed rehab, went back to get his degree, reports are good from Eastern Kentucky.   Sheldon might be a greater risk of a failed drug test then Noah Spence, I would be ok if he is a Jet this weekend

this.  I really believe that Spence will be AOK when it comes to drugs and NFL testing.  He seems to be a guy that finally got it.  We'll see if Richardson is the same, but I have faith in Spence.  He won't last to pick #50, however.  

2 hours ago, CPH said:

I like Hackenberg, and I could certainly see him as the surprise in the first round for whoever.  However, if he makes it past Houston at #22, that may be pretty telling.  Yes, they gave Osweiller a big contract, but he is still unproven.  Yes, Osweiler is locked in there for two years, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take out an insurance policy so to speak.

Houston has enough talent they could (should) take him if Obrien feels that strongly about him.  JMO.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

ALL teams draft for need. I have been watching the replays of the drafts and it is obvious that teams pick the best player at the position of need. Situations like last year where we had a completely different tier of player available to us is the only time teams really take BPA.. And that only happens in the first round, and the later rounds for depth. For the most parts rounds 1-4 are the best players available at a position of need. Polian talks about this all the time.

You're probaly right. I just don't buy the Lynch hype and don't see him anywhere near best available at #20. Anyway if it's a need, it's often an immediate need. So why draft a QB that's just as big a project as Petty? I don't see it, but that's just my opinion.

42 minutes ago, hawk said:

I like Hackenberg, and I could certainly see him as the surprise in the first round for whoever.  However, if he makes it past Houston at #22, that may be pretty telling.  Yes, they gave Osweiller a big contract, but he is still unproven.  Yes, Osweiler is locked in there for two years, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take out an insurance policy so to speak.

Houston has enough talent they could (should) take him if Obrien feels that strongly about him.  JMO.

I don't know about Houston. I just hope he lands on the Jets somehow. I'm no expert, I just believe he' is the most pro-ready and will be the best of the crop.

Archived