What position would you ....

Maxman

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is a bit of a theoretical thing. But let's take QB out of the mix because that is too obvious. Other than QB what position would you want the Jets to draft in the 1st round assuming they grabbed an immediate impact starter?

For me it would be pass rushing OLB. I am talking a perfect world scenario, the Jets are on the clock at 20 and they grab a guy that helps at the position you pick. Again, no QB because we all know about the issue there. :)

Right Tackle

Then OLB.   I think our line is really expensive, isn't that great, and is really going to become a problem.

I saw a great mock draft on NFL.com this morning and it had the Jets getting OT Taylor Decker in round one, LB Noah Spence in round two, the TE Nick Vannett in round three and QB Jacoby Brissett in the fourth. I would prefer Kevin Hogan, but this guy gave him to Buffalo one pick ahead of us. I would take that draft ANY DAY.

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Jets have spent a ton of time with Noah Spence .....If they don't trade up he would likely be who they are targeting at 20 assuming lynch is gone. 

I worry about Buffalo taking Spence at 19. Rex spent several years here looking for a guy like that and never found him. I hope he goes to sleep because I KNOW Rex doesn't care about so called 'character' issues. He thinks he can tough love anybody and for the most part he is right.

OLB, and will go one further saying it should be Noah Spence.

I can understand people saying CB.  However, if you go OLB, and get a guy who can truly get to the QB faster, that extra 1/2 second QB's got last year they won't get anymore, and that can mean needing a Darrelle Revis in his prime compared to now, or a Marcus Williams compared to a Warren Cromartie in his prime.

In this scenario (where the guy is guaranteed to be an impact player and I'm assuming AT LEAST a solid starter for years- barring injury, AND the pick cannot be a QB) I will have to say OT. And yes, a guy that can eventually move to LT. 

And yes, IN THIS SCENARIO, its not even close. QB (who we can't pick) follower by OT/LT. 

Why not OLB/Pass Rusher. B/C I believe young, impact LTs are rarer than Pass Rushers and I believe you can generate pressure on the QB in a number of ways- including upgrading your secondary and devising blitzing schemes. Its much harder to protect the QB other than upgrading the O-line personnel itself.     

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Spence is still too much of a worry for me character wise.  Ability wise he would be a great fit.  But a thing he said about his interviews rankled me and a guy with ecstasy problems is far worse than weed guy imo.

Disagree.

Not that weed is any worse for you, it obviously isn't nor do I know if it's any more addictive. But ecstasy is far easier to avoid, especially now he's out of college. I'd think so anyways. 

People with weed problems are going to be exposed to it a lot, it's even worse with alcohol. 

13 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Position doesn't matter. You take the best player. Period. Looking back could you ever possibly be happy we took a need OLB and left Ed Reed on the board? You draft the best player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Position matters. If there are no OT or edge rushers in the tier then we should trade back and pick a couple 2, 3 of the 2nd round Olinemen. We could get some great value from some OTs that may project to guard, maybe RT, and there are two centers/guards I like in the 2nd/3rd as well. RBs in the 2nd/3rd/4th look pretty good too

Depending on who's left I wouldnt mind going WR, OT, or Center. 

When you're picking #20 its tough to expect a top tier pass rusher or QB available by the time you pick. Either they were drafted by the teams before you or a team behind you traded up in front of you in order to acquire. 

It's been big talk about the QB/OLB position. We dont have a QB right now so that's a valid discussion, however, I think Mauldin is a OLB with a high motor than can turn into our pass rusher. I think Mauldin provides a real reason not to push the envelope and reach for a OLB pass rusher @ #20. 

If we got one of the top WR's, the top Center or top 2 OT in the first I would be happy. Or we can trade back. 

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It was closer to being among the worse than among the best. I swear you guys act like Marshall threw those TD’s to himself.

The Jets pocket collapsed on about 60% of passing plays – We were in the top 10 in terms of pressure allowed on the QB and yet gave up the 2nd fewest sacks – It was significantly worse than what even Geno had to deal with the previous season. Fitzpatrick’s poise in the pocket and ability to get rid of the ball quickly, as well as Gailey’s ability to design plays around the awful line, were what allowed us to function. Just watch Fitz’s highlight reel of the season – On about half the plays guys are just blasting by our tackles, Fitzpatrick adjusts and makes the plays (and they’re the GOOD plays. It’s the kind of pressure which destroyed Geno and the kind that would probably destroy Petty or Lynch . You’re inevitably going to lock into targets when you are being forced to get rid of the ball quickly nearly all of time, even when you have time you’re not going to be accustomed to it.

Clady isn’t a long term option at LT anyways and may not even be in the short term if his recent injury record holds up – We desperately need some talent in that position, regardless of side. I think all these top prospects are LT’s but are being projected to play RT for a season or two, which seems to be the new trend when drafting tackles.

You are missing my point. When he had plenty of time he didn't look around either. He'd stare down his target and then let loose even when he was afforded that time. That's how you get 4 seconds of time still resulting in a 30-40 yard attempt to a totally-covered Devin Smith on 3rd & short. He sees one thing, and one thing only: his receiver. If there's a man on him, he'll see it (usually). If not, he still only sees his own man which is how he gets picked off on that pass to Decker against Buffalo. It's like he wears a racehorse's blinders. 

Reading this again, your argument seems to consist of the following: GenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGenoGeno... On "half the plays" guys are not "blasting by our tackles" at all. How ridiculous. I thought Brick sucked last year, as did Breno, but if you think guys "blasted by" one of them on literally 50% of our pass plays then you are simply being argumentative just to be so. Let's see what would happen if Fitz had to do his stare down thing with David Nelson + Stephen Hill instead of Marshall + Decker. Actually I take it back: nobody wants to see that.

Guess what? They can both be bad QBs. As it turns out, both of them are. If Fitz was half as good as you say, then $18M is a bargain and he'd have multiple teams in a bidding war for him instead of crapshooting their 1st rounders. Yet he is a man without a team 3 days before the draft.

I'm fine with drafting a tackle. But if it's a player who doesn't translate to LT, that's a tall order for a round 1 pick. A pure RT-only, or any OG, is just too available as a FA (without costing $10M/year) to burn a 1st rounder IMO. It would be one thing if that was the last of our team needs (or one of our 2 last needs). But that's far from the case. Personally I think LT is overvalued in the draft anyway.

Archived