Gailey: Giant Steps for Geno

Maxman

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're basically saying that Petty and Hack would have to beat out Geno Smith during training camp. With what reps exactly? 

If that was the case then why even say "at this moment Geno is our starter". Just say that "We'll be having a competition". Macc has flat out said that Geno at this moment is the Jets starter, though they want Fitz back. You dont go from being the starter to being released for QB's that have never played a down in the league and havent shown that they're good enough to be the starter now. Petty was on the team last year so Macc and the coaching staff got to see him in practice everyday. 

Also, its not like they'd be getting a crap load of money by releasing Geno. Geno is only 1.5 million on the cap. Why the heck cut your best QB on the roster? If Fitz gets hurt (which he's an injury prone QB so you MUST take this into consideration) are you really going to put the season in the hands of Petty or Hackenberg even though you dont even want Hackenberg on the field right now? 

You're reaching. 

Will agree to disagree with you.

i believe everything being said & done regarding any & all of our QB's at this time is being used as negotiation tactics vs. Fitz's agent.

once that situation is all said & done then I will believe what comes out of our FO & Coaching Staff's mouth much more.

the significant decision at that time will be value of Geno as a backup QB in 2016 vs. divisiveness & anti-team Impact having him on the 53 man roster may cause. (And it would be tough to keep 4 QB's , so tossing away Petty would probably be an additional price to pay for keeping Geno)

certanly could go either way ... Look forward to finding out

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I don't think it's out of the question.

Let's see how things shake out during training camp and preaseason.

Geno is going into the last year of his contract.

If Petty is flashing and progressing nicely, Mac and Bowles could certainly choose to move forward with their draft pick who is under contract for longer. They were comfortable enough with Petty as the backup going into last season when Geno was injured.

Of course its not out of the question. Be being out of the question and being realistic are two totally different things. 

Yeah theoretically its possible that Geno can be cut. However, is it realistic to cut the best QB on your team for virtually no reason at all? No. 

It doesnt matter if Geno is going on the last year of his contract. It also doesnt matter if Petty is flashing. Flashing in practice doesnt mean that you can cut the best QB on your team and put him 2nd string. Nor does it mean that you're ready to see a football field. This isnt madden. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Of course its not out of the question. Be being out of the question and being realistic are two totally different things. 

Yeah theoretically its possible that Geno can be cut. However, is it realistic to cut the best QB on your team for virtually no reason at all? No. 

It doesnt matter if Geno is going on the last year of his contract. It also doesnt matter if Petty is flashing. Flashing in practice doesnt mean that you can cut the best QB on your team and put him 2nd string. Nor does it mean that you're ready to see a football field. This isnt madden. 

You are totally dismissing the chance that Petty is the better quarterback after developing for a year.

The bar set by Geno isn't exactly high. It's yet to be determined if he's the best quarterback on the roster.

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

You are totally dismissing the chance that Petty is the better quarterback after developing for a year.

The bar set by Geno isn't exactly high. It's yet to be determined if he's the best quarterback on the roster.

You're totally dismissing the chance that Geno was also developing. This isnt happening in a vacuum. The bar set by Geno may not be high to you, but you dont have respect for Geno and what he respresents. He's an experienced QB in this league (bar) He's won games in this league (bar). If in correct he already holds the most come-from-behind wins either as a Jets QB or Jets rookie QB (bar). He was considered the starter last year before the incident (bar), He was then the 2nd stringer last year and was trusted to fill in for Fitz when he went down and actually did well in that game (bar). He has over 30 professional starts under his belt (bar). Though Petty could be "developing", it was Geno that was announced as the starter of the team by the coach (bar). 

Shall I continue? Okay, I will. 

Petty was a 3rd stringer last year and would have been on the practice squad if not for the fact that Macc didnt want to run the risk of him being plucked off of the practice squad (Not a bar). Petty ran a Spread offense in college and has never had to read a defense or even call out the "mike backer" (not a bar). Because of his inexperience to that degree not only does he have to learn the new system, but he has to learn how to even understand the system (not a bar). Petty was on the team the moment Bowles named Geno the starter (Not a bar), Petty is developing....but based on how far away he was mentally, what does that mean? It means that its....not a bar.

Petty has other competition, his name is Christian Hackenberg. 

15 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

So you think the Jets are going to cut Geno, who they were going to have start over Fitz before the IK incident? A guy who they thought was the clearly holding down his position as the first stringer during training camp? 

How much you want to bet that Geno will be on this roster for the entire season, either as the starter or the back up if Macc is that desperate to cave in to Fitz demands? 

No one said Geno wouldn't be on the roster.  I'm just telling you that Petty is going to be on the roster.  Geno may or may not be, depending on a few things.  If the Jets resign Fitzpatrick and think Petty is far enough along at that point to be the backup, Geno is gone.

And if Geno is on the roster, he'll be the backup.  The Jets have no intention of starting Geno.  When Fitzpatrick got hurt in Oakland, the Jets rushed Fitzpatrick back because they have no faith in Geno.  

14 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

No one said Geno wouldn't be on the roster.  I'm just telling you that Petty is going to be on the roster.  Geno may or may not be, depending on a few things.  If the Jets resign Fitzpatrick and think Petty is far enough along at that point to be the backup, Geno is gone.

And if Geno is on the roster, he'll be the backup.  The Jets have no intention of starting Geno.  When Fitzpatrick got hurt in Oakland, the Jets rushed Fitzpatrick back because they have no faith in Geno.  

Then you are saying that Geno wouldnt be on the roster. 

Too much ridiculous assumptions going on here. We're talking about Fitz though he's not a Jet, we're talking about Petty though it was Geno named the starter and not Petty. 

Nothing is adding up here. Just alot of wishful thinking. 

16 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Joewilly12 called, he wants his brain back

This isn't a debate, it's stating fact when you say Ryan Fitzpatrick had a MUCH better season last season than Geno Smith will ever have in his entire football career. Fitz is miles better as a person, leader, and QB than Geno Smith could ever even hope to be.

And yet even with that said Ryan Fitzpatrick is the lesser to TWO evils when it comes to the NYJ football QB plight. Everyone knows Ryan Fitzpatrick is never going to win the Jets a SB. But everyone knows that the Jets cannot even hope to have a decent season with Geno starting.

So Fitz is the best that Jets can put out on the field in 2016. You HOPE that as time goes on, one of the youngsters steps up and becomes the real deal QB the Jets have not had since Kenny O'Brien or maybe Vinny Testaverde in 1998.

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then you are saying that Geno wouldnt be on the roster. 

Too much ridiculous assumptions going on here. We're talking about Fitz though he's not a Jet, we're talking about Petty though it was Geno named the starter and not Petty. 

Nothing is adding up here. Just alot of wishful thinking. 

Ridiculous assumptions?

Fitzpatrick is likely to be back.  That means that Fitzpatrick is likely going to be the starter.  If Petty has taken a big enough leap, Geno is done.  The only reason they'll keep Geno if Fitzpatrick is back is because they don't want to throw Petty or Hackenberg into the fire.  

I've said it a hundred times and i'll say it again: the Jets do not have any faith as Geno Smith as a starting QB.

38 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Ridiculous assumptions?

Fitzpatrick is likely to be back.  That means that Fitzpatrick is likely going to be the starter.  If Petty has taken a big enough leap, Geno is done.  The only reason they'll keep Geno if Fitzpatrick is back is because they don't want to throw Petty or Hackenberg into the fire.  

I've said it a hundred times and i'll say it again: the Jets do not have any faith as Geno Smith as a starting QB.

Fitzpatrick was likely to come back 3 months ago. Post spending all of the available money and drafting a QB with 2 million dollars left and not even signing all of the rookies. So I will disagree with that being "likely". 

The reason why I call this ridiculous is because when presenting the above its never taking into consideration as being "just as likely" that the Jets move forward without Fitzpatrick. 

Im not even going to address the Petty statement. Christian Hackenberg was drafted for a reason. 

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

This isn't a debate, it's stating fact when you say Ryan Fitzpatrick had a MUCH better season last season than Geno Smith will ever have in his entire football career. Fitz is miles better as a person, leader, and QB than Geno Smith could ever even hope to be.

And yet even with that said Ryan Fitzpatrick is the lesser to TWO evils when it comes to the NYJ football QB plight. Everyone knows Ryan Fitzpatrick is never going to win the Jets a SB. But everyone knows that the Jets cannot even hope to have a decent season with Geno starting.

So Fitz is the best that Jets can put out on the field in 2016. You HOPE that as time goes on, one of the youngsters steps up and becomes the real deal QB the Jets have not had since Kenny O'Brien or maybe Vinny Testaverde in 1998.

Can I get next week's power ball numbers from your crystal ball?  Making statements that it's a Fact Geno can't do something in the future here, or anywhere else means you have a crystal ball, or just real bad at definitions.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitzpatrick was likely to come back 3 months ago. Post spending all of the available money and drafting a QB with 2 million dollars left and not even signing all of the rookies. So I will disagree with that being "likely". 

The reason why I call this ridiculous is because when presenting the above its never taking into consideration as being "just as likely" that the Jets move forward without Fitzpatrick. 

Im not even going to address the Petty statement. Christian Hackenberg was drafted for a reason. 

Odds, obviously.  Now the Jets have two young guys with big upside.  Hopefully one can develop.

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

So you believed he was likely to come back 3 months ago but do not now due to the spending under the salary cap that we've done since  ... Am I reading this correctly?

49 minutes ago, ljr said:

So you believed he was likely to come back 3 months ago but do not now due to the spending under the salary cap that we've done since  ... Am I reading this correctly?

I believe that the likelihood was at its height back when Fitz was offered the original contract months ago. Since then the Jets have been operating as if Fitz wasnt coming back. They looked at different QB free agents (RG3, Hoyer etc), they spent all of their cap money....not even leaving the 7 million in the wing in case Fitz decided to change his mind, they drafted a QB in the 2nd round, and they made Geno the starter. 

The likelihood is that Fitzpatrick isnt coming back. Is it possible? Sure. Theoretically its possible. Would it have been easier 3 months ago before the Jets made certain moves? Sure. The fact remains that the Jets, no matter how many times Jets fans would like to claim how "easy" it would be to free up 12 million, have never indicated that they were/are willing to pay anything near 12 million, which is basically Sam Bradford/Brock Osweiler money in 2016. We also have not seen any indication that Fitzpatrick is willing to come down on his asking price, going as far as saying "He'd rather retire than accept the money the Jets are offering"....as if the offer itself is that disrespectful. 

When you have situations like that, I dont know how anyone can sit here, straight face and all, and honestly say that they think that the likelihood of this happening is pretty high. AGAIN, im not saying that it couldnt, but im privy to the same level of information as you, and the information is saying that they havent spoken in weeks, the Jets have made it clear that they want him back BUT they have not moved an inch from their amount which was so firm that the Jets were willing to risk Fitz going elsewhere in free agency. The Jets were so adamant about their price to the extent that they allowed Fitz to seek a potential deal with 31 possible suitors for 3 months....and is still doing so. 

How do you get "likelihood" out of that? I just dont know. 

I will say it again, is it possible? Yes. Why? Because Fitz is still a free agent given that he's not worth the money the thought he was worth. However, Is it likely? C'mon.  Fitz will have to accept the money that Macc has refused to budge from. Fitz last response to that? He was willing to retire. Has Fitz supported that position? Well, both camps havent spoken to one another in weeks...so you be the judge. 

Im assuming that Geno Smith will be starting for the Jets come week 1. Which imo isnt that bad. He has weapons and defense and a very respectable coaching staff. He has all the help he'll need. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Your saying "Fitzpatrick was likely to come back 3 months ago" a couple posts above this one, is how I got that you believed it was likely to happen back then.

As for where I see the likelihood now:

Fitz / his agent  & our Front Office are still in negotiations ... With Fitz having lost out on the other 31 team options at this point.  Their only other options now are retirement (as you stated) or perhaps trying to stay a FA & hope a contending team loses their QB during the season & picks him up. What the FO needs to do is have our # high enough that it is worth Fitz's effort to ignore those 2 options ... While still being as cap friendly as possible to us.  Is that number for 2016  5 mil , 7 , 9 , 11 ? I don't know ... But I do believe we are at least equally as likely today to get the deal worked out as we were 3 months ago ... If not more so .

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I believe that the likelihood was at its height back when Fitz was offered the original contract months ago. Since then the Jets have been operating as if Fitz wasnt coming back. They looked at different QB free agents (RG3, Hoyer etc), they spent all of their cap money....not even leaving the 7 million in the wing in case Fitz decided to change his mind, they drafted a QB in the 2nd round, and they made Geno the starter. 

The likelihood is that Fitzpatrick isnt coming back. Is it possible? Sure. Theoretically its possible. Would it have been easier 3 months ago before the Jets made certain moves? Sure. The fact remains that the Jets, no matter how many times Jets fans would like to claim how "easy" it would be to free up 12 million, have never indicated that they were/are willing to pay anything near 12 million, which is basically Sam Bradford/Brock Osweiler money in 2016. We also have not seen any indication that Fitzpatrick is willing to come down on his asking price, going as far as saying "He'd rather retire than accept the money the Jets are offering"....as if the offer itself is that disrespectful. 

When you have situations like that, I dont know how anyone can sit here, straight face and all, and honestly say that they think that the likelihood of this happening is pretty high. AGAIN, im not saying that it couldnt, but im privy to the same level of information as you, and the information is saying that they havent spoken in weeks, the Jets have made it clear that they want him back BUT they have not moved an inch from their amount which was so firm that the Jets were willing to risk Fitz going elsewhere in free agency. The Jets were so adamant about their price to the extent that they allowed Fitz to seek a potential deal with 31 possible suitors for 3 months....and is still doing so. 

I will say it again, is it possible? Yes. Why? Because Fitz is still a free agent given that he's not worth the money the thought he was worth. However, Is it likely? C'mon.  Fitz will have to accept the money that Macc has refused to budge from. Fitz last response to that? He was willing to retire. Has Fitz supported that position? Well, both camps havent spoken to one another in weeks...so you be the judge. 

Im assuming that Geno Smith will be starting for the Jets come week 1. Which imo isnt that bad. He has weapons and defense and a very respectable coaching staff. He has all the help he'll need. 

Just looking at past history with the Jets - I believe they will sign Fitz.  The Jets are a PR 1st organization.

For whatever reason there is a lovefest between the media and Fitz...and with the Jets likely to have a rough start to the season - I see two possible scenarios...

- Jets lose with Fitz and he gets benched....Jets get beat up for paying so much for a guy they bench (Mac will still get bashed by the same media that demanded they sign Fitz - but it will ultimately be viewed as an acceptable risk)

- the unthinkable for Jets management - Jets lose with Geno and get beat up for NOT signing Fitz.  (The media and ignorant fan backlash might cost Mac his job)

Because of this I don't see the Jets/Mac walking away from Fitz.   Fitz will be a Jet and the Jets will way overpay for him.

On 5/17/2016 at 7:15 PM, AFJF said:

Not necessarily you, but those who claim QB's win and lose football games all on their own.

Stop it. just stop it.  NO ONE DOES THAT.  Your just talking for the sake of talking now.

On 5/18/2016 at 8:02 PM, Colgateman said:

Fitz wasn't top ten in passes completed (bottom 10 of the leauge)

15th in yards

11th in TD's

24th in passer rating

22nd in yards a game

27th in YPA Bottom ten in yards per completion

Bottom 15 in passes completed a game 9th in TD percent

5th in interceptions. 

Oh how elite he is! Oh how great he is! with the cast around any quarterback they could do the same. Why pay 7 million and restructure contracts for bottom 10 QB play? I think the love for Fitztragic has something to do with race. I see people on here sh*tting on Sanchez and Geno calling them stupid, is it because they are minorities? I know a lot of you guys are 70+ years old, but we don't live in that age anymore.

Good post till you brought race into it.  Kindly go express these opinions elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Do you read here?? I have seen several posters say that Fitzpatrick lost the Bills game, several times. 

Correct.

On 5/18/2016 at 6:42 AM, Jetster said:

This right here! While the Geno haters are clamoring for their journeyman hero to return, let it be known that Geno has played 29 games. Geno might not cut it but why is it all of a sudden after 11 years when Fitz walks into the best possible job, working with his mentor & throwing to 2 guys that have been in the top 10 in redzone production over the last 3 years Fitz has his best season EVER? Not one Jet fan on this board that wants to see how Geno would perform with a full camp, starter reps, while sitting & learning last year, playing with REALLY good position players is guaranteeing success. We just want to finally put these arguments here to bed regarding Geno & that he just plain sucks & will never amount to anything in the NFL.

Many, many people gave up on Fitz after he signed the big contract in Buffalo & fell on his face. But after 6 teams & many years of experience he got traded to the right SITUATION, there it is again, the situation means a lot in the NFL. Geno got to sit back & watch Fitz be a professional, put it on the line for the team & see him be rewarded by his teamates with their confidence. That's what young guys thrown into the fire don't learn without a mentor to guide them. Especially in a place like NY when you have absolutely no one to turn to or confide in. You guys think it was easy going out there trying to run Moronwegs complicated west coast offense with a bunch of guys that out of the NFL already? Having fans screaming & cursing at you, throw in a few racist comments, getting booed every week being blamed for the entire teams failures? The New York Jets under the guidance of Rex Ryan & GM Idzik at the same time the team was being dismantled & had some of the worst drafts in our history was certainly NOT a good situation for developing a young immature QB. I want to see what he's learned from all of this. He's either a tough SOB that will put it all behind him & take the reigns of this team looking to prove all his doubters wrong. Or we'll find out he's mentally weak & is a broken QB with talent he can't harness. I think because athleticism & arm talent and his flashing it's worth it to find out.

THIS!!!

The argument is that Fitz fell into the right situation and finally had one good year.  

Can Fitz repeat, who knows?

Can Geno duplicate Fitz's situationally based performance, who knows?  

FO will let Fitz try for 7m and other wise let Geno try for free.  I'm with the FO on this.  

6 hours ago, ljr said:

Your saying "Fitzpatrick was likely to come back 3 months ago" a couple posts above this one, is how I got that you believed it was likely to happen back then.

As for where I see the likelihood now:

Fitz / his agent  & our Front Office are still in negotiations ... With Fitz having lost out on the other 31 team options at this point.  Their only other options now are retirement (as you stated) or perhaps trying to stay a FA & hope a contending team loses their QB during the season & picks him up. What the FO needs to do is have our # high enough that it is worth Fitz's effort to ignore those 2 options ... While still being as cap friendly as possible to us.  Is that number for 2016  5 mil , 7 , 9 , 11 ? I don't know ... But I do believe we are at least equally as likely today to get the deal worked out as we were 3 months ago ... If not more so .

What our FO needs to do??? <<<<<<This is the part that isnt sinking in. Im not talking about what the "should/need" to do. Im talking about what they're actually doing.The FO already did what they felt they had to do. The problem is Fitz doesnt like the numbers and the Jets FO hasnt budged.

Again, you're dealing in the world of hypotheticals to drive home a point that in reality has not reflected. The fact that Macc didnt budge when there were 31 other possible suitors doesnt tell me that he'll "likely" do so when the only team currently left in the "Fitzpatrick Sweepstakes" is Macc and the number he never budged on. 

That puts the ball in Fitzpatrick's court to come down in price, NOT for the Jets to go up. That's like negotiation 101 my friend. When you "are" the market then you set the price. No need for Macc to fold when he's the one holding the royal flush. Who else is in the market for Fitz right now? Fitz has to come down, and if he doesnt then we will continue to see the likelihood of Macc coming off his price. The entire league for 3 months has confirmed to Fitz that he's not worth what he asked for. 

Add to the fact, that the longer this takes, the more time Geno has to convince. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Just looking at past history with the Jets - I believe they will sign Fitz.  The Jets are a PR 1st organization.

For whatever reason there is a lovefest between the media and Fitz...and with the Jets likely to have a rough start to the season - I see two possible scenarios...

- Jets lose with Fitz and he gets benched....Jets get beat up for paying so much for a guy they bench (Mac will still get bashed by the same media that demanded they sign Fitz - but it will ultimately be viewed as an acceptable risk)

- the unthinkable for Jets management - Jets lose with Geno and get beat up for NOT signing Fitz.  (The media and ignorant fan backlash might cost Mac his job)

Because of this I don't see the Jets/Mac walking away from Fitz.   Fitz will be a Jet and the Jets will way overpay for him.

You have the right to believe what you like. Its not like its impossible. 

The media has a lovefest with Fitz because its the offseason. What else is there to talk about right now? Trust me, if there was something else to talk about then 6 of the top threads on the first page of this forum wouldnt be pertaining to Geno/Fitz/QB situation. The more you absorb that the more you tend to believe it. 

Macc has cleverly shown that he doesnt give a rats behind what media pundits think. 

15 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Can I get next week's power ball numbers from your crystal ball?  Making statements that it's a Fact Geno can't do something in the future here, or anywhere else means you have a crystal ball, or just real bad at definitions.

Well, if you have such a problem with what I posted then I'll wait for something to change, ANYTHING to change in reference to that loser POS Geno Smith, then you can come back on this site and call me out. Until then? You have NOTHING to say. And YES, it's a FACT that Geno f*cking Smith will NEVER do anything here in the future. He got his chance. He SUCKS and anyone with sound, logical, rational thinking has known that for a long time now. His days in NY are numbered. Get over it.

3 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, if you have such a problem with what I posted then I'll wait for something to change, ANYTHING to change in reference to that loser POS Geno Smith, then you can come back on this site and call me out. Until then? You have NOTHING to say. And YES, it's a FACT that Geno f*cking Smith will NEVER do anything here in the future. He got his chance. He SUCKS and anyone with sound, logical, rational thinking has known that for a long time now. His days in NY are numbered. Get over it.

Yes this post screams look at me I'm a rational person.

Archived