Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

Just now, cant wait said:

Fitz believes in himself plenty, but the problem is no NFL teams agree with him

I don't agree. He doesn't believe in himself. That's why he wants 8-figure guarantees for 2017 before the team has a chance to see him repeatedly face off against solid competition in 2016.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping this contract shows Maccagnan knows Fitzpatrick isn't starter material other than for a team painted into a corner, like the Jets. He thinks he's worth $6-7M/year but is in a PR battle that could result in losing his job if he goes with (and loses with) Geno this year. That is, unless Hackenberg comes in to mop up the season and the fans - and beat writers - see first hand that he looks like the goods.

I think it's a poor way to run a franchise, to offer a contract like this to a guy he doesn't truly believe in, and let it sit out there unsigned. But as it's been brought up before, it's easy to critique that from the peanut gallery, where we have the luxury of looking at the Jets' roster in the absence of fan/media/coach/player/owner pressure. I don't have to worry about all those people second-guessing and automatically assigning baseless, lofty woulda-happened results to a Fitzpatrick-QB'd 2016 Jets team. 

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well you really don't know that now do you. It's just what you want to happen. You know like not even play in the NFL. He says he's playing not retiring. As for money over 3 years he could make less or he can make more. Nice to see somebody who believes in himself. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't agree. He doesn't believe in himself. That's why he wants 8-figure guarantees for 2017 before the team has a chance to see him repeatedly face off against solid competition in 2016.

True good point, he might actually prefer to sit out for at least the first half of next season as he knows he won't be able to pad his stat line and fake his way through the season again

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm hoping this contract shows Maccagnan knows Fitzpatrick isn't starter material other than for a team painted into a corner, like the Jets. He thinks he's worth $6-7M/year but is in a PR battle that could result in losing his job if he goes with (and loses with) Geno this year. That is, unless Hackenberg comes in to mop up the season and the fans - and beat writers - see first hand that he looks like the goods.

I think it's a poor way to run a franchise, to offer a contract like this to a guy he doesn't truly believe in, and let it sit out there unsigned. But as it's been brought up before, it's easy to critique that from the peanut gallery, where we have the luxury of looking at the Jets' roster in the absence of fan/media/coach/player/owner pressure. I don't have to worry about all those people second-guessing and automatically assigning baseless, lofty woulda-happened results to a Fitzpatrick-QB'd 2016 Jets team. 

mccagnan's best strategy is to have the jet beat writers tweeting how good geno looks.  the sad truth is, if fitz and geno had a truly fair qb competition in training camp, i think it would be very close.  i think the jets are playing it wisely.  they leak the offer they made to portray fitz as unreasonable, then have geno run the 1st team offense in practices that is more likely to make him look good than in real games.  also, now you have marshall and decker catching geno's passes, and they have to say good things about him.  

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All players want guarantees that's why the good ones hate being tagged even though they get huge money on a one year deal. He and his agent Jimmy Sexton don't think it's a good offer. And Sexton is one of the best connected and respected agents in the NFL. He's not a Scott Boras type he can work with teams. He's got a lot more standing in the NFL than Mac has. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

All players want guarantees that's why the good ones hate being tagged even though they get huge money on a one year deal. He and his agent Jimmy Sexton don't think it's a good offer. And Sexton is one of the best connected and respected agents in the NFL. He's not a Scott Boras type he can work with teams. He's got a lot more standing in the NFL than Mac has. 

if it is your only offer, then it is the best offer.  there are no minimums here, and benchmarks are only relevant when there are bidders.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if it is your only offer, then it is the best offer.  there are no minimums here, and benchmarks are only relevant when there are bidders.

What you're saying is that because we think we've got you by the balls take it or leave it. We don't know about offers or if his agent is in conversations with other teams. And jobs could open up between now and opening day. This isn't a good year for starting Qb openings but the off season isn't over yet. 

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I get all that but whats worse for Mac and Bowles?  2 straight years with a 10 running game, top 10 defense and a veteran Qb with no playoffs or going with one of the youngsters, to possibly take a step back to take step forward (assuming they fail, which we dont actually know would happen).

I'd think missing the playoffs with a loaded roster and a veteran QB is much bigger stain than giving the youngsters a shot.

9 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Uh, Fitzpatrick is not one of "the good ones" so this doesn't apply to him. 

Also am I supposed to quiver at the mentioning of an agent's name? lol. F*ck his agent. He's trying to get his client more money than his client is worth, and he's doing so in a dried-up market to boot. So he can sit on a kicking tee.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Even with all that Gailey history, that is not why Fitz was brought in. That is a complete whitewashing of actual history.

What happened was first they really wanted to bring in Josh McCown, and Maccagnan reportedly offered McCown a contract, which he turned down to sign with Cleveland instead. Next after that the Jets let it be known they wanted to talk with (i.e. sign) Ryan Mallett, who Houston inked in the 11th hour right before he hit free agency. Then they wanted Brian Hoyer, who chose Houston over the Jets as well. (link, plus many other). When those preferred players all turned us down, then Maccagnan traded for Fitzpatrick - instead of waiting until Fitz was released - so yet another QB wouldn't spurn us (plus then it locked in his cheap $3.25M salary for 2015).

Fitzpatrick was the 4th choice at best, and that's not counting anyone else they may have been looking at but didn't get leaked. The idea that the Gailey/Maccagnan made some beeline for first-choice Fitz, like Rex sitting in Bart Scott's driveway until the clock struck midnight to begin free agency, is total fiction. 

The FO also made it clear to Fitz that he would be allowed to compete but he was brought in to be the backup QB.

Whole different scenario than the dream story some tell 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I get all that but whats worse for Mac and Bowles?  2 straight years with a 10 running game, top 10 defense and a veteran Qb with no playoffs or going with one of the youngsters, to possibly take a step back to take step forward (assuming they fail, which we dont actually know would happen).

I'd think missing the playoffs with a loaded roster and a veteran QB is much bigger stain than giving the youngsters a shot.

Maybe, maybe not. For the sake of argument, if he misses the playoffs at 8-8 with Fitzpatrick it is better for him - far better - than missing the playoffs at 5-11 with Geno. I get what you're saying but that's how it will play out. They got close, he gave his team the best chance they had, etc. If they finish with a 5-win season with Geno (or even an 8- win season with Geno) the media will tack on automatic woulda-been Fitz wins for any/every loss in his absence (in addition to giving Fitz automatic credit for QBing wins if they won them without Fitz). I have no doubt that's how it will play out. Maccagnan is in a no-win situation unless Smith unexpectedly turns his career around to become a top-15 QB or better.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Uh, Fitzpatrick is not one of "the good ones" so this doesn't apply to him. 

Also am I supposed to quiver at the mentioning of an agent's name? lol. F*ck his agent. He's trying to get his client more money than his client is worth, and he's doing so in a dried-up market to boot. So he can sit on a kicking tee.

Well based on his rep (which is a lot more substantial than Mac's) he knows the market about salaries and what is and isn't a reasonable offer. Again if he thinks that Fitz is a backup then it will be very easy to replace him. 

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well based on his rep (which is a lot more substantial than Mac's) he knows the market about salaries and what is and isn't a reasonable offer. Again if he thinks that Fitz is a backup then it will be very easy to replace him. 

In reality, at this point we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for a starting QB.  Whether it's Fitz or Geno.  Obviously I would be extremely excited to see Geno get the job and hopefully excel in a great situation, but it is still just hope.

I don't have that same hope for Fitz.  Of course I'd pull for him to do well if he is back in green though.  However, with that said, a quality backup is not easily replaceable.  And Fitz is one heck of a quality backup.  Occasionally showing signs of being a legit starter.  He played that role to perfection last year.  He got the job done with a good team around him and failed to reach the next level.  That's pretty much the best you can ask from a backup.  Otherwise he'd be a starter.

In a situation like this with Geno and then two young guys who don't seem ready for any playing time, losing Fitz will suck.  Problem is, it won't suck as much as paying a backup over 7mil per for 3 years.  

Nature of the beast (business) I suppose.  Bowles really F-ed up keeping Fitz in w/o giving Geno a shot.  We would either know Geno wasn't worth squat, or know he was worth keeping while being able to keep Fitz around for cheap because his stats wouldn't have been as "good" as they were.

chan saw first hand what happened when bills paid him-waste of money he sucked and was shown the door

mac saw first hand what overpaying a bad qb does to organization while he was with the texans

jets have a mess at qb

fitz is a jag that wants to be paid

geno-never did anything of substance but in his defense he had nelson as his number one for a while-when he got harvin he played better

petty-guy is collecting checks for doing nothing and must not look like he can play because they just drafted his replacement(even though lynch was the guy)

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The cap is in fine shape, we have contracts coming off the books in the coming years and the cap will continue to rise.  the cap has NOTHING to do with why we haven't re-signed Fitz.  

Trust me, paying the money isn't the issue here. Woody wouldn't even need to open his checkbook to pay the extra few mils. He probably has that laying around in his garage. It's managing the cap. Otherwise we would've kept Snacks. So yeah, it is about managing the cap. As cap rises, so do the average contracts. 

8 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Trust me, paying the money isn't the issue here. Woody wouldn't even need to open his checkbook to pay the extra few mils. He probably has that laying around in his garage. It's managing the cap. Otherwise we would've kept Snacks. So yeah, it is about managing the cap. As cap rises, so do the average contracts. 

the cap has absolutely nothing to do with Fitz.  it does w/ Mo for the long term but it doesn't with Fitz.  That is not playing any role in this negotiation.

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

This is all such nonsense. let the guy walk. Ive never seen anything like this ever.

why are we not signing hoyer or making a deal for gannon?

problem is NOBODY is saying that other than some posters on this site

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

no one said Fitz wants 8 figure guarantees maybe this comes down to how the Incentives are structured. None of us know what's going on other than very basic information that has been leaked.

33 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

no one said Fitz wants 8 figure guarantees maybe this comes down to how the Incentives are structured. None of us know what's going on other than very basic information that has been leaked.

lol okay. I'm sure that's why the 2 sides are supposedly very far apart. So far apart that they couldn't just meet in the middle, with each side budging an insignificant amount off their desired figure, 3 months ago.

I can appreciate how much better you think he is than he actually is, but you can't possibly believe the 2 sides are really close but - with so much at stake for each of them - that they'd let this drag on this long anyway.

He obviously wants an 8-figure guarantee beyond this year.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol okay. I'm sure that's why the 2 sides are supposedly very far apart. So far apart that they couldn't just meet in the middle, with each side budging an insignificant amount off their desired figure, 3 months ago.

I can appreciate how much better you think he is than he actually is, but you can't possibly believe the 2 sides are really close but - with so much at stake for each of them - that they'd let this drag on this long anyway.

He obviously wants an 8-figure guarantee beyond this year.

You like to add words like "very far" apart and you don't know that. If they are offering the guy 12 million in year one of the contract then drop to 6 in years 2 and 3 that's got to be the issue. Not knowing what incentives the Jets are actually offering gives us no idea of how far apart they really are. Obviously the Jets are trying to get him to sign for back up money in year 2 and 3. The contract favors the Jets because if their true intension is to get Hack his chance next year they still have a solid mentor and back up moving forward and he will never reach those incentives or have a chance too. If they offer him 12 x 3 their only option if he does not meet their expectations is to cut him then they have Petty and Hack and no back up which could be bad if they don't work out.

This contract favors the Jets, period and I'm fine with that as well but obviously Fitz is not since the guy wants to be the starter just like any other QB would..

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You like to add words like "very far" apart and you don't know that. If they are offering the guy 12 million in year one of the contract then drop to 6 in years 2 and 3 that's got to be the issue. Not knowing what incentives the Jets are actually offering gives us no idea of how far apart they really are. Obviously the Jets are trying to get him to sign for back up money in year 2 and 3. The contract favors the Jets because if their true intension is to get Hack his chance next year they still have a solid mentor and back up moving forward and he will never reach those incentives or have a chance too. If they offer him 12 x 3 their only option if he does not meet their expectations is to cut him then they have Petty and Hack and no back up which could be bad if they don't work out.

This contract favors the Jets, period and I'm fine with that as well but obviously Fitz is not since the guy wants to be the starter just like any other QB would..

I use words like "very far" apart because anyone who's reported on it has used those words, love. I didn't make that up from out of thin air.

It would be pointless to offer 12 x 3 because it wouldn't contain any guarantees of that salary level past year 1, and everyone - including Fitzpatrick - knows he'd be cut absent such guarantees.

If they offer him 12 x 3, with 2 years guaranteed, Maccagnan should be fired on the spot. I have some confidence that will not happen.

The contract does NOT favor the Jets; it favors Fitzpatrick by paying him more than the going rate for Fitzpatrick-services. If not, someone else - like Denver - would have offered him more. It's overpayment for a QB of his skill and on-field intelligence.

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

It sure as hell does not favor the Jets.  It's the best (perhaps only) offer Fitz has.  That would lead me to believe it's very favorable for Fitz and the Jets are dumbasses for offering it.

As far as wanting to be the starter, hey that's great.  Currently only one NFL team is offering him the potential to start.  If he was smart, he'd take it.  

I hope he's not smart though.  He'll save Macc from his lapse in judgement here.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The contract does NOT favor the Jets; it favors Fitzpatrick by paying him more than the going rate for Fitzpatrick-services. If not, someone else - like Denver - would have offered him more. It's overpayment for a QB of his skill and on-field intelligence.

Will agree to disagree with you on this part of the contract that is supposedly on the table.

our FO's desire is to have Fitz make a run this year if he fails but we can still keep him on the cheap in the mentor/backup QB role in years 2 & 3 at 6mil per .... Believe several sources said 3 of the 6 mil guaranteed year 2 ... And then incentives (would assume mostly playing time based) to up Fitz to 12 per year in 2017 & 2018 also if he plays great.

i would say that favors the Jets, JMO

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It sure as hell does not favor the Jets.  It's the best (perhaps only) offer Fitz has.  That would lead me to believe it's very favorable for Fitz and the Jets are dumbasses for offering it.

As far as wanting to be the starter, hey that's great.  Currently only one NFL team is offering him the potential to start.  If he was smart, he'd take it.  

I hope he's not smart though.  He'll save Macc from his lapse in judgement here.

everyone keeps saying Fitz has no leverage.

His leverage is he played good last year, fit's well in the offense/system and with its players . The Jets are the guys with no options and if they felt Geno could have stepped in they would not be offering Fitz what they are BUT THEY DONT trust Geno one single bit. Its obvious they don't trust Geno and Fitz agent knows this but Jets fans don't seem to get it since they are calling for what amounts to a terrible QB in Geno to just take over a team built over the last 2 years with post 30 players. Macc thinks this team can win now or we would have gone into full rebuild mode but we didn't even come close to that.

We can argue all we want and speculate all we want but in the end Fitz will  be the starter and the proof will be what happens on the field.  Geno will probably be cut since the real stupid scenario is the Jets keeping 4 QB's when the season starts.  Lets wait and see what happens and I hope you will be rooting for Fitz once the season starts.

7 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

We can argue all we want and speculate all we want but in the end Fitz will  be the starter and the proof will be what happens on the field.  Geno will probably be cut since the real stupid scenario is the Jets keeping 4 QB's when the season starts.  Lets wait and see what happens and I hope you will be rooting for Fitz once the season starts.

Over the past few months I've been saying odds are Fitz will be back.  I don't want him back (at over 5mil per) but it sure seemed like the safe bet was that he'd be back.

It's about 50/50 now I'd say.  Fitz is quickly beginning to lose his best/only option.

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

everyone keeps saying Fitz has no leverage.

His leverage is he played good last year, fit's well in the offense/system and with its players . The Jets are the guys with no options and if they felt Geno could have stepped in they would not be offering Fitz what they are BUT THEY DONT trust Geno one single bit. Its obvious they don't trust Geno and Fitz agent knows this but Jets fans don't seem to get it since they are calling for what amounts to a terrible QB in Geno to just take over a team built over the last 2 years with post 30 players. Macc thinks this team can win now or we would have gone into full rebuild mode but we didn't even come close to that.

Leverage means pay me what I want or somebody else will. the fact is, nobody but the jets is offering fitz a decent contract, so he can whine and pout all he wants but the market has spoken and told fitz he's not as good as he thinks he is

5 minutes ago, ljr said:

Will agree to disagree with you on this part of the contract that is supposedly on the table.

our FO's desire is to have Fitz make a run this year if he fails but we can still keep him on the cheap in the mentor/backup QB role in years 2 & 3 at 6mil per .... Believe several sources said 3 of the 6 mil guaranteed year 2 ... And then incentives (would assume mostly playing time based) to up Fitz to 12 per year in 2017 & 2018 also if he plays great.

i would say that favors the Jets, JMO

I don't think the team expects Fitz to make a run this year. Obviously, they'd take it, but I don't believe for a second they expect it. What they expect is for Fitz to continue to behave like a professional, stay in constant communication with his WRs, OL, etc., and otherwise serve as an example/mentor to Hackenberg and Petty. That's worth money to them, but only if they can get three years of it - the latter two at $6M/per. The incentives would presumably bump his pay if he's the starter for any significant portion of the next two years. 

It favors the Jets in that it's what the Jets are looking for from him. But it's ridiculous to say it doesn't also favor Fitzpatrick when it's the best offer -by far- on the table for him for the past few months. 

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Over the past few months I've been saying odds are Fitz will be back.  I don't want him back (over 5mil per) but it sure seemed like the safe bet was that he'd be back.

It's about 50/50 now I'd say.  Fitz is quickly beginning to lose his best/only option.

you keep bringing up this ridiculous figure of 5 mil when you know for a fact there's no way in hell its happening what's the point of bringing that up ?

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you keep bringing up this ridiculous figure of 5 mil when you know for a fact there's no way in hell its happening what's the point of bringing that up ?

Just to show I do feel Fitz is a very good backup QB and that I'd actually like him to be a Jet in that role.

I don't hate the guy.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't think the team expects Fitz to make a run this year. Obviously, they'd take it, but I don't believe for a second they expect it. What they expect is for Fitz to continue to behave like a professional, stay in constant communication with his WRs, OL, etc., and otherwise serve as an example/mentor to Hackenberg and Petty. That's worth money to them, but only if they can get three years of it - the latter two at $6M/per. The incentives would presumably bump his pay if he's the starter for any significant portion of the next two years. 

It favors the Jets in that it's what the Jets are looking for from him. But it's ridiculous to say it doesn't also favor Fitzpatrick when it's the best offer -by far- on the table for him for the past few months. 

If the Jets didn't think they were capable of making a run they would not be offering Fitz what they offered. This should be common sense since they signed so many post 30 years old players rather than go into full rebuild mode. The Jets have a football team that can contend and if some of the rookies and players drafted last year step up this can be a really good team.

For instance lets say Lee and Maulidn step up and create total havoc and the defense moves into the elite category do you want fumbling Geno at QB or do you want a player who knows how to protect the football and has the respect of his entire offense ? With Amaro Coming back and numerous receivers pushing for the number 3 and 4 slots and adding the threat of Matt Forte its very possible Fitz plays even better than last year.

This is about the team and how its built the only thing set in stone right now by the Jets current actions is they don't trust Geno and they want to sign Fitz. For those of you who don't want Fitz ...too bad its going to happen and I think this team can contend

13 minutes ago, slats said:

The 2016 numbers favor Fitz compared to what the market dictated as his value.

despite the team looking to protect itself & preparing to move on next season, I would think from Fitz's perspective he expects to perform well this year which should merit a starter role & salary somewhere in 2017 and 2018 ... In his eyes.

so I would think the big issue is the Jets looking to move him into a backup role in year 2 ... Or at the latest year 3 (with salary commensurate with that ) ... And Fitz believing he will be a starter in the NFL  beyond 2016

7 minutes ago, ljr said:

so I would think the big issue is the Jets looking to move him into a backup role in year 2 ... Or at the latest year 3 (with salary commensurate with that ) ... And Fitz believing he will be a starter in the NFL  beyond 2016

Barring filling in, in some emergency/injury situation, unless he accepts this deal real soon, he won't be a starter in 2016.  He needs to forget about beyond 2016.

Or better yet, stick to his guns and the Jets can move forward w/o him.

Or hell, the ideal situation... we pull the offer.  Fitz waits for an opening, but nothing comes so he begins fielding offers to be a backup at some point in August.  He gets offers around 3 to 4mil per.  We swoop in and sign him for 4.5mil.  :D

12 minutes ago, ljr said:

The 2016 numbers favor Fitz compared to what the market dictated as his value.

despite the team looking to protect itself & preparing to move on next season, I would think from Fitz's perspective he expects to perform well this year which should merit a starter role & salary somewhere in 2017 and 2018 ... In his eyes.

I'm sure there is not one of us here that gets paid what we are worth...Fitz will get over it the same way we all do and take what he can get. 

Archived