Start Geno

drdetroit

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Where is the money coming from to sigh Fitzpatrick?  Please explain otherwise STOP with your nonsense the Jets dont have the money Fitz demands otherwise he would have been signed long time ago. Will be anxiously awaiting your plan. 

It's been explained many times. You just choose to either not believe it or ignore it. Why would the Jets even be offering him a contract if they couldn't fit him in. Think about that. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

It's been explained many times. You just choose to either not believe it or ignore it. Why would the Jets even be offering him a contract if they couldn't fit him in. Think about that. 

Currently speaking they dont have the money. Lets see your plan. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick is very inaccurate with a weak arm his only positive is he doesn't make dumb decisions with the ball. Geno was thrown into the fire under Rex. 

Lots of QBs are thrown right into the fire. That's not an excuse for poor play. Fitz doesn't have a great arm. No one says he does but he gives his players a chance to make a play. Can't do that with Geno bombing the ball high and wide 50% of the time. 

Lots of QBs are thrown right into the fire. That's not an excuse for poor play. Fitz doesn't have a great arm. No one says he does but he gives his players a chance to make a play. Can't do that with Geno bombing the ball high and wide 50% of the time. 

Agree but remember Gates and Nelson were the worst WRs a QB could ask for they ran the sh*ttiest routes. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Agree but remember Gates and Nelson were the worst WRs a QB could ask for they ran the sh*ttiest routes. 

That was three years ago. He had Decker and Harvin in 2014. He had all the weapons he could ask for in 2015 and he got his jaw broke over 600 bucks. He blew it. 

That was three years ago. He had Decker and Harvin in 2014. He had all the weapons he could ask for in 2015 and he got his jaw broke over 600 bucks. He blew it. 

Decker and Harvin were both injured and MM was the worst OC in the league. Come on Carl 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Who gets cut? Obviously at this point its 1-2 key players. 

Nobody has to get cut. You can re-sign Wilk long term and free up money. Restructure Mangold and Marshall. Boom. There's 12 million. It's not hard to manufacture money in the NFL. I just don't think you have a firm grasp of the financial side of it. 

Nobody has to get cut. You can re-sign Wilk long term and free up money. Restructure Mangold and Marshall. Boom. There's 12 million. It's not hard to manufacture money in the NFL. I just don't think you have a firm grasp of the financial side of it. 

Restructuring sometimes doesn't end well. But ok if thats your plan lets hope it works. 

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Situational awareness?

Like being on the 14, down 1 point, first down and 5 minutes left in a game to get into the playoffs?  And instead of protecting the ball at all costs, no matter what dont turn it over while in FG range and throwing a hideous INT when you dont have to?
Thats the kind of situational awareness the cliche meter came up with that your guy missed?  

I guess you don't really follow the Jets.

12 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

You are trying to spin an article in a way it was not intended.     It was researched and written to rank the starting QB's for 2013 and 2014.   It used coaches and ESPN insiders because ESPN did the story.   Well they voted Geno the worst starting QB in the NFL two years in a row.  

I don't know why Fitz was not rated, and I don't care.  It's not a pro Fitz statement.   It's just the truth about Geno.   

Well of course it's not scientific, its asking people in the know what they thought.  They, as a hole, thought Geno suckEd. Some that were asked thought there was reasons he sucked but as a hole he was judged the worst.   

I most certainly am not. You were spinning and presenting it as though every (head) coach rated every QB in the NFL and they voted him the worst (as though it was a rating of all 100 or so QBs in the NFL). That was 100% false and it was complete spin. You don't know why Fitz was not rated? Try reading.

The poll asked some coaches and some FO types (we don't know which ones) to rank a list of 32 starters placed before them, and it would seem from a couple of the comments they were also taking into account other factors like the offense each is/was playing in. Despite your painting this as being otherwise, it was NOT a ranking of all QBs (including backups like Fitzpatrick), and it was NOT a ranking done purely "by NFL coaches" (where the obvious insinuation is they were NFL head coaches). You don't even know if one single HC responded to this poll. ESPN insiders? Why does it matter what they think? The most recent one by such an "insider" (Prisco) has Fitz ranked 3 slots ahead of Geno if he returns. Does that make his opinion more valid than yours or mine? No.

Further, you have no idea what laughable "research" was done. You don't know what question was asked, how it was asked, and the form in which it was asked. Was it an anonymous? Maybe those responding were just asked verbally and they didn't want to make it known to a co-worker that they think a top 10 QB is really closer to #20, or the bottom-ranked QB should be higher. The truth is you know nothing about it other than your joy at the presumed message it conveys. 

You were "spinning" the article because you were repeatedly painting it as something it was not.

If it makes you feel better to hear me say it, until proven otherwise (if even such a time will ever come), Geno stinks. If he ends up starting for us I hope he doesn't stink again, but his history thus far is certainly not encouraging. Feel better? It still doesn't mean the poll says what you thought it said. 

47 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I guess you don't really follow the Jets.

One of us understands the game and can differentiate situational awareness from just repeating a list of cliches without a clue as to what any of them mean.

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

If Fitz comes back at a 1-yr deal at reasonable money sign me up.

but keep Geno over Petty

Why? If Fitz is brought back, Geno serves no purpose. He's gone after this season and they can save a little money by cutting him. If Fitz comes back and gets injured or plays terribly, then the Jets are better off seeing the devil they don't know as opposed to the devil they do.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why? If Fitz is brought back, Geno serves no purpose. He's gone after this season and they can save a little money by cutting him. If Fitz comes back and gets injured or plays terribly, then the Jets are better off seeing the devil they don't know as opposed to the devil they do.

Geno is better than petty

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Which is why they shouldnt sign Fitz to begin with...

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Which is why they shouldnt sign Fitz to begin with...

So then you say they start Petty or Hack from the jump then? I could get on board with that.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Geno is better than petty

Sure. But what's the point? If Fitz plays poorly or gets hurt and the Jets are sitting at 2-6 or 3-7 or whatever, they're better off seeing one of the kids, since the season would be lost at that point.

So then you say they start Petty or Hack from the jump then? I could get on board with that.

I say start anyone other than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I dont really care who it is.  Geno, Hack, Petty.  Dont care really.  All better options for the Jets at this point. 

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sure. But what's the point? If Fitz plays poorly or gets hurt and the Jets are sitting at 2-6 or 3-7 or whatever, they're better off seeing one of the kids, since the season would be lost at that point.

People like you get so outraged if anyone says anything remotely positive about Geno. All I said was he was better than Petty that's not exactly calling him Johnny Unitas

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

They should resign Fitz but if we are going by talent Geno is still the most or second most talented Qb on the roster 

Agreed 100%.  Where I differ is, if I were the Jets, I'd go into the season with Geno as the starter and go from there.  But I agree with you, even if they do sign Fitz, no need to cut Geno.  A cheap back up with experience is a good thing to have.  Especially if you have an old injury prone QB, like Fitz.

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

People like you get so outraged if anyone says anything remotely positive about Geno. All I said was he was better than Petty that's not exactly calling him Johnny Unitas

Outraged? No. I just said Geno was better than Petty, but there's no point in playing Geno in the scenario that could play out. If the season is lost after a Fitz injury, the Jets would be better off seeing what Bryce Petty has in that scenario.

59 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Outraged? No. I just said Geno was better than Petty, but there's no point in playing Geno in the scenario that could play out. If the season is lost after a Fitz injury, the Jets would be better off seeing what Bryce Petty has in that scenario.

There's no consequence for saying that Geno is better than Petty. Petty has shown nothing. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Give me a break, Petty so far is having trouble completing passes in OTAs wearing shorts, but you want him to start regular season games??? I think Geno is going to be the starter. In fact, I would not be shocked if we sign fitz and then he totally craps the bed and is benched for Geno.

21 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

How is it I am wrong??

Things have yet to get better for New York Jets third-year quarterback Geno Smith. He holds a career passer rating of 71.5 and posted a QBR of 35.4 in 2014, which was second-worst in the league ahead of only Blake Bortles. Going into 2015, his third season as a pro, Smith's stock may have plummeted more than ever.

For the second-straight season, Smith was voted the league's worst quarterback, according to a poll of NFL insiders and coaches done by ESPN. He ranked 32nd behind fellow AFC East quarterback Matt Cassel, who may not even be the starter come regular season. 

It's never a title you want to hold, but someone has to do it, and Smith has held it for two-straight years. 

"Geno is a 5, and that is it," one coach told ESPN. "He cannot process fast enough. He is not a natural guy, sliding in the pocket and knowing when to run it. He has some legs to run, but no, he is trying to prove he is a pocket passer. Let's do something at the position before we start limiting ourselves for image."

Not exactly what you want to hear said about your quarterback, but let's face it -- it's the truth. Smith hasn't shown enough in two years to solidify his spot as a starting quarterback in this league, and he may never do so. If there is a time for Smith to elevate his game and prove his worth, it's in 2015. 

He's surrounded by arguably the most talent in his professional career with guys like Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, and Jace Amaro on offense. Marshall should be be a good safety net for Smith as a big-body receiver on the outside and a serious red-zone threat.

This season could be make-or-break for Smith with Bryce Petty waiting in the wings and Ryan Fitzpatrick fighting for the starting job. It doesn't have to be pretty or spectacular, but Smith has to get the job done if he wants to make a living in the NFL.

I stated Geno was voted the Worst QB in the NFL two years in a row, was told I was ignorant for saying at and I proved I was right. 

What am I missing with you people.

again, I was proving something I said was right, not stating He could not change.

My opinion is that he can not because he is not smart enough, but that is a separate discussion.'

The fact that he has only played two full seasons and showed improvement in the last 4 games of his second season gets no traction with you at all huh?   Do  you consider that him watching from the sidelines could have HELPED his decision making and overall development?  Oh no I forgot, "he has a .10 brain, he can't learn etc, etc."

Aren't you even a little bit curious of what he might be able to do with Marshall, Decker, Forte etc???  Nah, of course you aren't.

36 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Give me a break, Petty so far is having trouble completing passes in OTAs wearing shorts, but you want him to start regular season games??? I think Geno is going to be the starter. In fact, I would not be shocked if we sign fitz and then he totally craps the bed and is benched for Geno.

Well if they're going to have a terrible season, make it super terrible.

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Actually that would be Fitz as well.

Except, it's not. Fitz is better under pressure than Geno and it's not close.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

One of us understands the game and can differentiate situational awareness from just repeating a list of cliches without a clue as to what any of them mean.

Sigh.  really?  Running out of the end zone?  Running backwards to take a sack even longer than otherwise? 

Btw I should have added to the list that he plays poorly when the season still counts. 

I get that you're a Smith Fan.  but by definition SMith Fans do not know the game.  If they did they would not be Smith Fans.

14 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

The fact that he has only played two full seasons and showed improvement in the last 4 games of his second season gets no traction with you at all huh?   Do  you consider that him watching from the sidelines could have HELPED his decision making and overall development?  Oh no I forgot, "he has a .10 brain, he can't learn etc, etc."

Aren't you even a little bit curious of what he might be able to do with Marshall, Decker, Forte etc???  Nah, of course you aren't.

well, he showed improvement in his last 4 games of the 2013 season also. then went on in 2014 to play just as bad as most of 2013. then in 2015, he was named the starter and then lost the job due to his own stupidity. also to be noted he played better in the last 4 games of both seasons he started, where the season was over and the playbook had to be dumbed down and the amount of throws he made had to be monitored like a toddlers sugar intake. I get that some guys are optimistic about what geno could do this year, but for the love of Christ, let him at least earn it. gifting geno the job did little for the jets the past 3 years

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

well, he showed improvement in his last 4 games of the 2013 season also. then went on in 2014 to play just as bad as most of 2013. then in 2015, he was named the starter and then lost the job due to his own stupidity. also to be noted he played better in the last 4 games of both seasons he started, where the season was over and the playbook had to be dumbed down and the amount of throws he made had to be monitored like a toddlers sugar intake. I get that some guys are optimistic about what geno could do this year, but for the love of Christ, let him at least earn it. gifting geno the job did little for the jets the past 3 years

So to make Geno earn it, you want to spend 12mil on Fitz?

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

OK and then what if Fitz gets injured week 1 instead of your optimally-timed and preplanned injury schedule?

So neither is good enough to bump NFL-worst-eva Geno Smith down from the #2 slot, but you want to see them anyway. Also you want to retain a roster slot for Petty even if he doesn't earn it, just because he isn't Geno Smith. You do know the coaches see these guys, even if the fans don't, yes? So far Petty hasn't demonstrated that he can take a snap from center and hit the broad side of a barn. That's without anyone trying to take his head off (insert Geno/IK joke here lol).

The whole premise of bringing back Fitzpatrick is to give the team the best possible chance for 2016. There is no other reason. So if he's out for a game or a few games, this best possible team should be cast aside to put the 3rd or 4th best QB onto the field, even if they aren't close to the horrible Geno Smith? 

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

So to make Geno earn it, you want to spend 12mil on Fitz?

like I said many times before. you are fine with gifting geno his 4th starting gig. I am not

next year you will be talking about gifting geno his 5th starting gig because the schedule was ,really hard and its not fair to judge geno on the hardest schedule in nfl history. and decker wasn't 100% healthy all season. and the snow storm game.gailey didn't call a game that's suits genos strong suites. he had a cold one game. his aunts boyfriends barber got into a car accident and couldnt possibly have his mind in the game

Archived