Yes, another Geno thread. But consider this..

Patriot Killa

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Even if you extrapolate out TD's, Int's, yards etc...They are very similar...

With that said, I think most people understand you really can't compare one game with 15 - But the interesting thing is that Fitz supporters/Geno haters use the Raider game to point out how bad Geno was - that he had his chance and failed with it.  Which is patently false...His numbers were Fitz like and ultimately the defense cost the Jets the game...

Yeah but he took a hard hit on the sidelines while the almighty Fitz took a shot to the thumb when he could have gone for a slide. Its different cuz Fitz showed compassion, bravado, guts, and balls in his reckless dive while Geno was dumb and couldn't pass for 5 TDs to win a game against high schoolers.

3 hours ago, Shadetree said:

If Genos problem was one pass at the end of a 10-6 season, in which he threw 31 TDs, I might want to give him another chance.

But, we both know, Genos problems run much deeper than that and Genos problems don't easily present themselves on stat sheets. 

You like Geno to start the year, joe willy, I get it. Might as well start looking now at top 5 talent in the 2017 draft if he starts 16 games. 

Many fans are knee-jerk reactors. If Geno puts up those numbers he did in that Oakland game as a yearly average that would make him a probowl candidate. 

Then next offseason we'll be hearing alot of guys talking about how we should pay him "12 million or more" instead of letting him walk and giving Petty/Hackenberg a shot. 

Basically the people who dont believe in Geno needs to see Geno actually do it. Nothing wrong with that. Technically the man hasnt done it, so the skepticism is reasonable. Some of us just personally think that he can given what he's being provided with on both sides of the ball and with the coaching staff. 

I think that Geno will be just as much a beneficiary of the talent like Fitz, the difference is that im banking on Geno's potential. Geno has a lower floor than Fitz but a much higher ceiling. Fitz obviously has the higher floor but you pretty much know what you're going to get from Fitz. The team around him just maximized it. Im just trying to imagine that effect on a young QB with much more talent that simply needs to be tapped into. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Many fans are knee-jerk reactors. If Geno puts up those numbers he did in that Oakland game as a yearly average that would make him a probowl candidate. 

Then next offseason we'll be hearing alot of guys talking about how we should pay him "12 million or more" instead of letting him walk and giving Petty/Hackenberg a shot. 

Basically the people who dont believe in Geno needs to see Geno actually do it. Nothing wrong with that. Technically the man hasnt done it, so the skepticism is reasonable. Some of us just personally think that he can given what he's being provided with on both sides of the ball and with the coaching staff. 

The truly funny part is that the vast majority of those crying about the Jets not signing Fitzpatrick and praying that Geno doesn't make the roster felt the exact way about Fitzpatrick last yr when the Jets traded for him. One yr later, he's the conquering hero ,  Maybe 1 yr from today these same folks are wondering why Geno isn't being signed by the Jets

46 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Lets examine how much of a garbage this post really is.

In 2013, his starting WRs were Holmes and Hills. Combined, they started 22 games (11 each) in 2013. They both have a combined total of 8 receptions in the last 2 years (none for Hill of course and 8 for Holmes in 2014). Holmes is already out of the league and Hill was on the practice squad. Did I mention Geno was a rookie just like Hackenberg is right now?

In 2014, he had Decker and David Nelson as his starters in the first 7 games. And a day after trading for Harvin, he became his #1 target in wk 8 I believe. He through 3 picks in that first game with Harvin in there with zero timing. Without practice (timing), even Brady cant be Brady if hes given ZERO reps with a headache of a receiver in Harvin. So that brings us to the last 6 games of the year, which Im sure you didn't watch anyways since you were probably on the Seahawks bandwagon by then. So WTF back at you.

Excuses excuses excuses.   Always with the excuses.   

Troy brown

Bert Emanual

Charles Johnson

Davis patten

Torrance Small

do you know who these guys are?

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The truly funny part is that the vast majority of those crying about the Jets not signing Fitzpatrick and praying that Geno doesn't make the roster felt the exact way about Fitzpatrick last yr when the Jets traded for him. One yr later, he's the conquering hero ,  Maybe 1 yr from today these same folks are wondering why Geno isn't being signed by the Jets

Precisely. That knee-jerk reaction on display right there lol. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Even if you extrapolate out TD's, Int's, yards etc...They are very similar...

With that said, I think most people understand you really can't compare one game with 15 - But the interesting thing is that Fitz supporters/Geno haters use the Raider game to point out how bad Geno was - that he had his chance and failed with it.  Which is patently false...His numbers were Fitz like and ultimately the defense cost the Jets the game...

Hhmmmmmmm, wowwwww!!!!!

what if you extrapolate out wins & loses?

36 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think that Geno will be just as much a beneficiary of the talent like Fitz, the difference is that im banking on Geno's potential. Geno has a lower floor than Fitz but a much higher ceiling. Fitz obviously has the higher floor but you pretty much know what you're going to get from Fitz. The team around him just maximized it. Im just trying to imagine that effect on a young QB with much more talent that simply needs to be tapped into. 

Yes my feelings exactly. I need to see it from Geno before I talk about his ceiling. The league, past and present, is littered with high-ceiling guys carrying clipboards.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

lol

Not sure if you're being sarcastic. 

I'm assuming you think Fitz outplaying Geno in August is "lol" material?

if Fitz signs, then out plays Geno in August, no one will be surprised. No one. Not even those supporting Geno at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

if Fitz signs, then out plays Geno in August, no one will be surprised. No one. Not even those supporting Geno at the moment. 

And then the season starts and FitzNation and GenoWorld unite and hope for WINS and a SUPER BOWL 

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

And then the season starts and FitzNation and GenoWorld unite and hope for WINS and a SUPER BOWL 

I hear ya..but I don't think all will unite.

I'm thinking about starting another thread about the lose-lose scenario of the whole Geno-Fitz debate. 

Its  become exhausting and, seemingly, is fracturing an already fractured fan base.

10 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I hear ya..but I don't think all will unite.

I'm thinking about starting another thread about the lose-lose scenario of the whole Geno-Fitz debate. 

Its  become exhausting and, seemingly, is fracturing an already fractured fan base.

Agree brother we are a fan base thats resilient as hell but we tend to argue amongst ourselves over what we cant control. 

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Excuses excuses excuses.   Always with the excuses.   

Troy brown

Bert Emanual

Charles Johnson

Davis patten

Torrance Small

do you know who these guys are?

Sure but I didn't know you're holding out for a Brady. 

52 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

If Fitz signs a 12 mil deal or even a 10 mil deal, there aren't many FOs that would sit a newly signed  8 figure QB to be a backup. But I'm sure once the new year starts with a brutal schedule, the Fitz craze will die and we'll see the two QBs on level grounds. Until then, it's all ifs n buts. 

As far as I'm concerned, Geno never got to drive the "Porsche" but Fitz definitely wrecked the Ferrari ("Porsche" upgraded to a Ferrari with the fruitcake schedule we had). 

6 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

We don't want to see it because we spent two years watching the crap play that's Geno Smith.   

Stats lie and lists use stats, I watched the QB play and saw with my eyes had bad it was.   I don't ever want to see it again

Did you watch the games in 2013 and 2014?    I really think posters here did not watch the games.   Wtf

If you watched games, you would know fitztragic wasn't that good either

14 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

If you watched games, you would know fitztragic wasn't that good either

I have never said he was.  Not once has my argument been Fitz is good.  He is just a better leader and a better decision maker. And he makes it so Geno doesn't play. 

5 hours ago, sveusb said:

Last season Ryan Fitzpatrick had QBR of 88.0. Geno Smith Played in one game against Oakland. His QBR was 87.9 in that game. The performances of these quarterbacks were essentially equal with the personnel last season.  

Idk, according to a couple of guys around here that .1 and Philly blowing moron money on Bradford means Fitzpatrick deserves 14-16 million and anything not matching that means our FO is incompetent.  Also, despite it taking Fitzpatrick 11 years to hit this level of play, there isn't a single QB that has played poorly in the past that can possibly get better when given an opportunity. You know, other than Ryan of course.

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So you finally admit it's the player and not the "weaponzzzz".   

And you admit you're hoping for Brady! Such a shame. I'm just hoping for an average QB. Anything more would be gravy from a 2nd round QB. 

No one here knows or can claim that Geno Smith will fail if named starting QB playing with Marshall, Decker, Forte, Powell, Enunwa, Amaro, Smith. Here's what we can say definitively.

1- Decker was not healthy for an entire season.

2- His best healthy WR was Kerley who under Chan Gailey barely saw the field.

3- Every other receiver he played with is no longer in the league, Winslow, Harvin, Hill, Gates, Nelson, Salas is a 4th stringer in Buffalo.

4- Jace Amaro let all rookie TEs in receptions in 2014.

5- Dbrickashaw Ferguson was on the downside of his career (he was not good in 2014 or 2015).

6- Geno got to play with Brian Winters as a rookie, Vlad Ducasse and Breno in 2014 who every Jet fan wants cut or replaced.

7- Rex Ryan & Marty M were & still are COMPLETE MORONS!

8- The Jets defense in 2014 was top 5 worse in SACKS & creating TURNOVERS and were top 3 in giving up plays of 20 yards or more.

9- The 2014 NY Jets were top 3 worst field position starts in the league. 

Daunte Culpepper wasn't a mental giant either but he was throwing to Moss, Carter & Smith, so fans looked away at the ocassional gaffes. John Elway & Tom Brady are the only 2 QBs in the history of this sport that won despite the talent around them. 

It only makes sense to start Geno. Either he & his skills mature enough to turn into an above average QB while not paying him Fitz money or, Geno does so terribly we finish with a top 5 draft pick that we can use to get the best QB prospect we've had a chance at in a long time. Starting Fitz only leads to MEDIOCRE, mid 1st round pick. It really makes a difference. Hope Deshaun Watson turns out to be worth it

If having better weaponzzz can help geno not carelessly handled the ball, have better pocket presence (or any at all), not hand the ball to the other team at the worst time on the worst place on the field then great.  When you view the Geno awful gaffs in his two plus years most of them appear totally independent of outside circumstance such as having better WR.

Geno has always had the arm to play in this league, is accurate enough and can throw deep and short.  However the league is littered with guys like that that fail because they can't avoid the horrific play when it counts.  If Gailey can teach Geno not to do this he should get a medal.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If having better weaponzzz can help geno not carelessly handled the ball, have better pocket presence (or any at all), not hand the ball to the other team at the worst time on the worst place on the field then great.  When you view the Geno awful gaffs in his two plus years most of them appear totally independent of outside circumstance such as having better WR.

Geno has always had the arm to play in this league, is accurate enough and can throw deep and short.  However the league is littered with guys like that that fail because they can't avoid the horrific play when it counts.  If Gailey can teach Geno not to do this he should get a medal.

Really think you, and the other Fitz supporters, underestimate the importance of coaches, schemes, and yes... WEAPONZZZ.  For any QB.  Especially a rookie just entering the NFL from the laughable game of college "football".

That's the big divide here.  Other than maybe a few who just don't like Geno for whatever reason, most are just split on whether a rookie in the 2013 and '14 situations should have been able to succeed.  Me?  I don't think top notch guys like say Ben would have done well either.

_84828171_geno_smith.jpg

He'll be back soon, and much improved.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No idea when the next public one is, but I think this is the last week of OTAs so it should be sometime this week. 

Yeah, I'd imagine.  OTA schedule this week looks like today through Thursday.

So just a bit more time before more vids of a cannon arm, tweets of praise, and stories showing the team's support of #7.

Archived