jets TE's.. Better, Worse,.. or the same ? ? ?

kelly

I'd keep Jace and use him. And see what he can do regular season. Unless Bowles just doesn't like the way he prepares and his demeanor. If he feels that Amaro isn't positive or a hard worker then get rid of him. But if he did work hard and isn't negative then let's see what he can do and give him a role on the offense. When I do see him on the field I do see talent. He is a capable receiver but doesn't always show it. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tight ends of the New York Jets couldn’t have been worse last season.  They combined for 25 targets, eight receptions, 95 yards, and one touchdown.

Jace Amaro‘s return to the New York Jets from injury was supposed to make the tight end spot much better, but he has underperformed on the field in the preseason.  According to Rich Cimini of ESPN, in his piece, “TE Jace Amaro, former second-round pick, could be on Jets’ chopping block,” general manager Mike Maccagnan said that tight end is “the most wide-open position.”

In the aforementioned piece, Amaro says he thinks that he’s doing well in practice.  Obviously, it’s not translating onto the field. Amaro’s numbers haven’t been impressive at all in the preseason. He had five catches (11 targets), 35 yards, andzero touchdowns.  Zach Sudfeld is the only tight end with a touchdown, and he leads the tight ends in catches and yards as well.

The Jets have options at tight end now that they finally released Amaro.  Kellen Davis and Brandon Bostick proved to be better options.  In addition to the players listed as tight ends, they have another option.  They can transition Quincy Enunwato tight end, or play him at both wide receiver and tight end.

At 6’2 and 225 lbs., Enunwa is a little undersized, but he has shown good strength and blocking ability as a wide receiver, and he’s developed well in terms of his route running.

He also doesn’t have to line up on the line, he can play H-back.

Unfortunately for Amaro, there’s only $360K in dead money on his contract.

So, it’s not a big hit to the Jets if they decide to cut him. There’s also a $1.5M savings for 2017.

With the options they have at tight end, there was no reason to keep Amaro, who had limited upside.  Ultimately, Amaro’s limited ability prevented him from making the final roster.

>  http://thejetpress.com/2016/09/04/new-york-jets-release-jace-amaro/

Anderson, Bowman Take Different Paths to Team

Final cut-down day in the NFL is a double-edged sword as players’ dreams are either fulfilled or put on hold. As of late Monday afternoon, 12 Jets rookies had reason to celebrate as their names all were part of the 53-man roster.

~ ~  The preseason is often referred to as a player audition in front of all 32 teams. While Anderson never changed addresses, newly claimed TE  Braedon Bowmanicon-article-link.gif  has been in a whirlwind, traveling over 930 miles in the past 24 hours.“Yesterday morning I was looking at apartments in Jacksonville, and I got the call from up here and they told me to pack my stuff,” he said. “I got on the plane and got here around 10:30 last night and then got to the facility this morning.”

Bowman spent training camp with the Jaguars after going undrafted out of South Alabama. He has yet to receive the playbook, but the 6’4”, 240-pounder practiced Monday after being cleared and he’s excited to have the chance to play for the Green & White.“Seeing their roster only having two guys outside of the addition of me and  Brian Parkericon-article-link.gif , the opportunity I have here is really appealing to me,” he said.

rest of above article :

>  http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Anderson-Bowman-Take-Different-Paths-to-Team/01ef8322-38ee-4450-a886-740fb210885e

New Jets tight end Braedon Bowman got a first-hand look at how difficult life in the NFL can be for an undrafted free agent.

Bowman, who was cut by the Jaguars on Saturday, was one of four waiver pickups that the Jets made on Sunday, one day after the initial 53-man rosters were set. He will join Kellen Davis, Brandon Bostick, and newly-inked Brian Parker in a suddenly crowded tight end room.

“Yesterday morning I was looking at  apartments  in Jacksonville, and I got the call from up here and they told me to pack my stuff,” Bowman told the Jets’ official website. “I got on the plane and got here around 10:30 last night and then got to the facility this morning.”

Bowman, 22, played two seasons at South Alabama and caught 11 passes for 147 yards in 2015. Despite his meager receiving statistics, Bowman is known as a good special teams player and solid blocker. He also turned some heads by running a 4.64-second 40-yard dash at his pro day in March.The Jets surprised many around the league by releasing disappointing third-year player Jace Amaro on Saturday, a decision that left them with just two tight ends on the roster.

24 hours later, they now have four.

There’s no guarantee that the Jets will keep four tight ends beyond Week 1, but Bowman sees this is a great opportunity to play.“Seeing their roster only having two guys outside of the addition of me and Brian Parker,” Bowman said. “The opportunity I have here is really appealing to me.”

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/06/new-addition-braedon-bowman-calls-opportunity-with-jets-appealing/

The Jets announced that they have waived TE  Braedon Bowmanicon-article-link.gif .

The 6'4", 240-pound Bowman, who was acquired off waivers from Jacksonville on Sep. 4, originally signed with the Jaguars as an undrafted free agent in May. He turned in a 66-catch, 1,030-yard, 13-TD season in his last year at Scottsdale CC before moving to South Alabama, where he had 29 catches for 381 yards in 2014 and '15 combined. Bowman was inactive for the Jets in Week 1.

rest of above article : 

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Waive-TE-Braedon-Bowman-/f11ba2ba-cec5-4076-86e2-e12d4a555ca0

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

4. The lonesome ends : In Week 1, the Jets were the only team that didn't attempt a pass to a tight end. On the first play against the Buffalo Bills, Fitzpatrick targeted Brandon Bostick. Incomplete. A few plays later, he targeted Kellen Davis. Drop.

Quick, what's the over-under on the number of games before there's a completed pass to a tight end? I say it's six games.

rest of above article : 

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63216/jets-welcome-matt-forte-with-heavy-workload-too-heavy-for-own-good

The New York Jets haven't played a game since our last mailbag, but that never stopped us.

@RichCimini What are your thoughts about getting Austin Seferian-Jenkins? Jets possibly need a TE (even with emergence of Enunwa) #jetsmail

@RichCimini: For those who missed Friday's news, Seferian-Jenkins was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after a DUI arrest in the wee hours of the morning. The former second-round pick is young and talented, and we all know the Jets don't have a pass-catching tight end, but, no, I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Under the current regime, the Jets have been relatively conservative when it comes to picking up players with checkered pasts. I know, I know, they traded for Brandon Marshall and signed Erin Henderson last year, moves that have worked out nicely. But you're talking about a couple of older players who confronted their issues and have dealt with them in a mature manner. Clearly, Seferian-Jenkins, 23, hasn't reached that point yet. Did you see his goodbye tweet: "Thanks you TB! Next chapter." Not exactly remorseful, is he? By the way, this wasn't an isolated incident. Seferian-Jenkins was thrown out of the final day of OTA practices because the Bucs' coaching staff felt he wasn't prepared. He also had issues in college. Now, with the DUI arrest, he faces the possibility of league discipline.

Looking at it from a football standpoint, the move would make no sense because, as I'm sure you've noticed, the Jets DO NOT USE THE TIGHT END -- at least not in the passing game. They're the only team without a tight-end reception, giving them only eight receptions by a tight end in 18 games under offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. I think I detect a trend.

Why bring a character risk into the locker room if he's just going to block ?

As you noted, the Jets have Quincy Enunwa to play a hybrid role, although I think that gets overplayed at times. Breaking down his 13 catches based on where he lined up in formation, he has only one as a tight end, eight from the slot and four from the wide positions, per ESPN Stats & Information.It may frustrate the fan base, but I think the Jets will stand pat with their current tight ends.

>         http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63346/could-jets-take-a-flyer-on-former-bucs-te-austin-seferian-jenkins

-- The New York Jets claimed tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins off waivers Monday, just three days after he was arrested on a DUI charge in Tampa, Florida.

Seferian-Jenkins was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday, the same day as the arrest. He also had a 2013 DUI arrest in Washington while in college.The Jets had three tight ends on the roster in Week 3, but none of them have a reception through three games this season; they're the only team without a reception at the position.Seferian-Jenkins was a second-round pick by the Bucs in 2014. He has 45 career catches for 603 yards and 7 touchdowns. He had only three catches this season before his release.

Jets officials weren't immediately available to comment on the acquisition. By rule, Seferian-Jenkins is subject to league discipline.Seferian-Jenkins, 23, was stopped at 3:42 a.m. last Friday for speeding and driving erratically, according to the Florida Highway Patrol arrest report. He was clocked at 75-80 mph in a 55 mph zone. In addition to the DUI, he was charged with a violation of an ignition interlock device restriction, stemming from his previous arrest.He was released later Friday on $750 bail. He refused a breathalyzer test at the Hillsborough County Jail.

To make room for Seferian-Jenkins, the Jets waived linebacker Julian Stanford.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17645988/austin-seferian-jenkins-claimed-waivers-new-york-jets-three-days-dui-arrest

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets' decision to claim TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins on waivers doesn't add up from a risk-reward standpoint. They don't feature the tight-end position in their offense, so why take a chance on a player with two DUI arrests? The most recent arrest was last Friday, which got him fired from the Bucs. He has $677k remaining on his contract this year, plus another $1.1M next year, none of it guaranteed. Maybe they think he can solve their red-zone issues. Doubt it. Hope he likes to block

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Among the lingering questions after the Jets on Mondayclaimed tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins on waivers is this: How long could he be suspended by the NFL after his latest DUI arrest

Tampa Bay waived Seferian-Jenkins after he was arrested Friday. He was previously arrested for DUI in 2013, while playing for the University of Washington. This is Seferian-Jenkins' third NFL season.After Seferian-Jenkins' arrest Friday, ESPN's Jenna Lainepointed out that first-time alcohol-related arrests are subject to a two-game suspension under the NFL's substance abuse policy, barring "aggravating circumstances." 

Among those potential circumstances, as Laine noted: "If there is property damage involved, serious injury or death or the player had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, he could be subjected to harsher discipline."Though Seferian-Jenkins has a previous DUI arrest — he received a one-day jail sentence for it — that didn't happen while he was in the NFL

In the case of Friday's arrest, there did not appear to be property damage. Seferian-Jenkins was simply pulled over for speeding, and then arrested for DUI.Click here to watch the rather interesting video of his arrest.The NFL typically lets a legal situation play out before handing down a suspension. So it could be a while still before that happens with Seferian-Jenkins, whose contract expires at the end of the 2017 season.

He has no more guaranteed money remaining in his deal. So the Jets won't have to absorb a salary cap hit if things don't work out, and they opt to cut him. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/how_long_could_jets_austin_seferian-jenkins_be_sus.html#incart_river_index

The New York Jets' decision to pick up the troubled Austin Seferian-Jenkins was surprising on two fronts.

It shows they still actually care about the tight end position, their version of the 12th man. The bigger story, though, was they chose to address the deficiency by taking on a player who was sitting in a jail cell only three days earlier.Seferian-Jenkins was arrested and charged with DUI last Friday morning -- his second DUI arrest since 2013 -- and he was promptly fired by theTampa Bay Buccaneers. A short time later, an embarrassing video surfaced on the internet -- taken from the police car's dash cam -- in which he actually talked himself into the arrest by rambling to police and making crude comments about having to go to the bathroom.

It's a bad optic for the player and the Jets, who, under the current regime, have a conservative track record with regard to players with character issues.

Yes, the Jets were aware of the video before claiming Seferian-Jenkins on waivers. Yes, they vetted him, digging into his past by talking to former coaches as far back as college. Truth be told, they've been targeting him for several weeks because they thought he might not survive the final roster cutdown at the end of the preseason. This wasn't a case where they started scrambling for intel as soon as he was released -- from jail and by the Bucs.The Jets know this is a calculated risk, but they feel comfortable with it because there's no financial downside (none of his $677,000 salary is guaranteed) and because they believe their support staff in the organization will help Seferian-Jenkins with his issues. They also know he's subject to league discipline, but they're not sweating it because the league usually moves at a glacial pace, waiting for cases like this to be adjudicated before handing down a suspension.

No doubt, the Jets will try to defend the move by pointing to linebackerErin Henderson as a player who overcame his issues with alcohol and turned around his life and career. But here's the difference between Henderson and Seferian-Jenkins: Henderson went to rehab and was out of football for a year, a period of soul-searching that taught him humility and allowed him to reorganize his priorities.Seferian-Jenkins? He gets a new job immediately, with a chance to earn the same wage as he did from his previous employer. The Jets are sending a poor message by hiring someone who allegedly drove while intoxicated -- and made a fool of himself afterward. Seferian-Jenkins needs time to focus on his life, not football.

Off-the-field transgressions aside, he was considered a high-maintenance player by the Bucs' current coaching staff, which threw him out of practice in June because he wasn't prepared, according to coach Dirk Koetter. They didn't like his pattern of behavior and ran out of patience. I've talked to people who know Seferian-Jenkins, and they described him as a talented player who lacks maturity and a passion for the game.As a rookie, Seferian-Jenkins was fined $11,000 by the league for his so-called "Captain Morgan" touchdown celebration. He placed one foot on the ball and posed like the Captain Morgan character in the rum company’s advertisements. Later, he posted on Instagram: “Everybody has a little captain in them.” He got an earful from then-coach Lovie Smith.

Is he worth it ? Will he transform the tight end position? Seferian-Jenkins was a second-round pick in 2014, so you know there's talent.

"It's been the same story since he came out: talented coming out, but issues," an opposing personnel director said. "It's Year 3 now, and you're still waiting on the talent. You wait a little more, but the full dividend hasn't come yet. There are flashes of it, but he's not a difference-maker. He won't impact the running game, but he has some receiving ability."Seferian-Jenkins, a 6-foot-5 target, has seven career touchdowns in 18 games, including a 30-yarder this season. But we all know tight end isn't a high-priority position for the Jets, who opted to stand pat last offseason, perhaps hoping Jace Amaro would blossom. Well, he didn't and now he's gone, so they're taking a flier on Seferian-Jenkins, who was drafted 11 spots ahead of Amaro in the same year.

Mike Maccagnan is a thoughtful and deliberate general manager, but apparently everybody has a little risk-taker in them.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63427/jets-did-homework-on-austin-seferian-jenkins-but-risk-reward-doesnt-add-up

Troubled tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins already has a mentor in the New York Jets' locker room -- Brandon Marshall.

When the star wide receiver learned Seferian-Jenkins had been arrested for DUI last Friday, resulting in his release from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he called immediately -- before the Jets claimed him on waivers."We've been talking for a while. He's a great talent," Marshall told reporters Tuesday at a charity event in Manhattan. "When I heard [Monday] we claimed him, I was like, 'This is God sent.' If he needs me, I'm there. I've already connected him with the right people in the city if he needs them."

"Guys need second chances. When you make a mistake, it doesn't mean you are a bad person. You need people to believe in you, and sometimes a fresh start is a good start."

9705.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background

Brandon Marshall, on Austin Seferian-Jenkin

The Jets don't have any proven pass-catching tight ends, so they decided to take a chance on Seferian-Jenkins, who also had a DUI arrest in 2013 while playing for the University of Washington. Last week's arrest produced an embarrassing dash-cam video from the police car in Tampa, Florida.

Team officials have yet to comment on Seferian-Jenkins.

"Guys need second chances," Marshall said. "When you make a mistake, it doesn't mean you are a bad person. You need people to believe in you, and sometimes a fresh start is a good start."Marshall speaks from experience. He has been arrested several times and was traded by three teams. He was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and created his own foundation -- 375 Project -- to raise mental-health awareness.

"I would say this : We don't know if those are his issues," Marshall said of Seferian-Jenkins. "I had a DUI before. And you live and you learn. There are a lot of people that make terrible decisions, but it doesn't make them terrible people."

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17659064/brandon-marshall-mentoring-new-york-jets-new-troubled-tight-end-austin-seferian-jenkins

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles on whether he has any reservations about adding TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who was arrested last week for DUI: "I don't have any reservations because I haven't met him yet. As I get to know him, obviously with the situations he's been in, he's going to sink or swim on his own. We brought in a player and he's got a chance to clean his act up. We'll see what happens."

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

-- Be good or be gone.

Essentially, that is the mandate for Austin Seferian-Jenkins, whom the New York Jets acquired on waivers Monday -- three days after a DUI arrest got him fired from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."I don't have any reservations yet because I haven't met him," coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday after practice. "As I get to know him, obviously, with all the situations he's been in, he's going to sink or swim on his own. We brought in the player. He has a chance to clean his act up, and we'll see what happens."Seferian-Jenkins didn't arrive Wednesday in time to participate in practice. He will make his practice debut on Thursday. The chances of him playing Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks are remote.

Jets officials vetted Seferian-Jenkins, who also had a DUI arrest in 2013 while playing for the University of Washington. The latest arrest came with an embarrassing video, shot by the dashboard camera in the police car. It included crude comments by Seferian-Jenkins about wanting to go to the bathroom.

Bowles said he hasn't seen the video.

"I've heard about it," he said.

Clearly, the Jets won't have much patience with their new tight end. Asked if it's a zero-tolerance situation, Bowles said, "Most of it is zero tolerance for a lot of people."

The Jets were successful last year when they took a flyer on linebacker Erin Henderson, who battled alcohol issues and was out of the league for a year. In a way, he could be a role model for Seferian-Jenkins."It's cool that I'm in that category, but that's not really where I want to be," Henderson said. "I've crossed that bridge already and I'm not trying to go back. If he needs somebody to talk to, of course I'll be here. But I'm really dealing with my own stuff right now."

Henderson believes in second chances."It's just a matter of what you do with it when you get it," he said. "It's up to him. That's something he has to take care of and understand he's going to be on a very short leash."

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63463/new-jets-te-austin-seferian-jenkins-will-sink-or-swim-on-his-own

The Jets' signing of inside linebacker Erin Henderson last offseason and waiver claim of tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins this week are somewhat comparable situations, but really not entirely the same. 

Henderson, now 30, had substance abuse issues and two DUI arrests before the Jets signed him. But Henderson was out of the NFL, and sought treatment, in 2014. And then the Jets signed him. 

Seferian-Jenkins, 24, also has two DUI arrests — the most recent coming last Friday, after which Tampa Bay released him. He is a kid compared to Henderson — and a kid who hasn't had significant time to process his mistakes. 

So you can excuse Henderson for feeling perplexed about being pigeonholed as a mentor for Seferian-Jenkins with the Jets."No disrespect or anything, but why does that have anything to do with me?" Henderson told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday. "I don't know this kid. I've never met him before. I've never seen him before. There are a lot of people who get in trouble. There are a lot of people who make mistakes."I don't know what kind of person he is. I don't believe in investing time in people who don't want to be helped or aren't looking for help. That's not really my thing. Maybe once I meet him, I might look at it differently. But I've crossed that bridge already." 

Seferian-Jenkins is expected to make his Jets practice debut Thursday. And Henderson made it clear that he will help Seferian-Jenkins, if the kid is genuinely looking for serious assistance."If you're in this locker room, then I consider you like family, no matter how long you've been here," Henderson said. "If somebody has a question or needs help, I don't have a problem with offering it. But that's just not my role. I'm worried about my [injured] foot, getting back on the field." 

The Jets believe they have enough resources in their locker room and facility — including a team psychologist — to help keep Seferian-Jenkins straight. Defensive end Sheldon Richardson worked with the team's psychologist last year, after Richardson's high-speed police chase arrest and four-game suspension for repeated positive marijuana tests."We've got a system set up here that's pretty good, as far as helping with off-the-field issues, life struggles, mental problems that you're dealing with, depression, stuff like that," Richardson said. "We've got stuff set up here that will most definitely help [Seferian-Jenkins]."  

Richardson worked with the Jets' psychologist on "mental stimulation" exercises."Playing chess, talking about stuff that's going on in my life," Richardson said. "Nothing too deep. He gave me a little eval, and I tested out well. I wasn't psychotic, so that was a good thing, finding that out. You know your issues and you choose to deal with the consequences."I beat him in chess a lot. He thought I didn't know how to play chess. A lot of people don't know all my hobbies. So that was kind of funny. Yeah, I play chess. I ain't no pro or nothing." 

Another resource the Jets use is the NFL's Player Protect program — which serves, at once, as car transportation and a security service for players. Jets cornerback Buster Skrine said the team covers half the rate ($50 an hour) and the player covers the other half. Skrine said many Jets players use this program."Player Protect protects you, so you don't get any DUIs," Skrine said. "I feel like we've got the leaders on this team that will say, if they do go out with him, 'Let's take Player Protect.'

"He's got two DUIs, and I'm pretty sure he didn't want to get them. And I think he'll change, just because you've got your second strike, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to put his job on the line. It's to dream to play in the NFL."I just think sometimes, you need a new setting. People make mistakes. Sometimes, it takes more than once for you to realize, 'All right, what I'm doing isn't the right thing.'" 

Middle linebacker David Harris, one of the Jets' most valuable veteran leaders, believes the locker room will be a positive influence on Seferian-Jenkins — if he wants and embraces that influence."We have a lot of veterans in this locker room who are always open to talk if he's willing to ask for guidance," Harris said. "We're going to welcome him with open arms and treat him no different than we treat anybody else. Erin is a guy who has been in his situation and learned from his mistakes, and who could give him pointers on how to conduct himself afterward." 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_erin_henderson_will_help_austin_seferian-jenk.html#incart_river_index

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

New Jets TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins said he's grateful for the opportunity with the Jets. He declined to comment on his DUI arrest or the embarrassing police video. He said Todd Bowles told him what is expected. He declined to specify but it seems clear: Zero tolerance.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

— Austin Seferian-Jenkins made one thing abundantly clear on Thursday: He was not going to talk about his off-the-field issues. 

The time he was thrown off the Buccaneers practice field by his coaches? The DUI arrest when he was in college? The very-public second DUI this past Friday ?

The newest Jet wouldn't touch any of it. Although he admitted the quick turnaround from promising second-round pick, to waived trouble child, was undoubtedly a wake-up call."Yeah it was," Seferian-Jenkins said. "You have to be very thankful for the privilege of playing in the NFL. I'm very thankful for this fresh start, to start anew. I'm going to take full advantage of this opportunity and won't let it go."

From a size, athletic, and talent perspective, Seferian-Jenkins, who was selected by the Bucs in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft, has it all. He's big — standing 6-6 and weighing 258 pounds — but runs and jumps like a receiver.Seferian-Jenkins is too strong for safeties, and too fast for linebackers. He has the potential to be a matchup nightmare for defensive coordinators. The issue? His off-the-field antics have kept him, well, off the field. 

This summer, Seferian-Jenkins was tossed off the practice field for "not knowing what he was doing," according to Bucs coach Dirk Koetter. Last Friday, he was arrested for DUI (the second time since 2013) and released as a result. 

Now, he arrives in New York down in the count 0-2. He can't afford another empty swing. 

"What's in the past is in the past," Seferian-Jenkins said. "There is an agreement here and an understanding of what is expected of me. I'm not going to speak on the past. I'm excited about this opportunity. I'm thankful for the opportunity the Jets are giving to me. "I'm going to take full advantage of it and approach it as hard as I can and go as hard as I can with it."

Seferian-Jenkins politely declined to go into any detail on what that "understanding" is with the Jets, the details of the event last Friday, or if he feels he has a drinking problem. He said he's just focused on turning over a new leaf with his new team. And he is getting some help in doing it. 

Receiver Brandon Marshall, who dealt with his own personal demons early in his career, reached out to Seferian-Jenkins before the Jets even acquired him."I was like, 'Man, this is God sent,'" Marshall said Tuesday. "Guys need second chances. When you make a mistake, it doesn't mean you're a bad person. You need people to believe in you. And sometimes, a fresh start is a good start.

"I think we got a great player and a great person. And I think this fresh start is going to really help him out a lot. He's not a bad kid. But I think that there's a lot of growth that he can achieve now in the short term."

Now that the two are in the same locker room together, Marshall is doing his part to help the tight end out. 

"I really appreciate him," Seferian-Jenkins said. "He has really helped me out a lot and given me the resources I need in this city to get the help that I need ... to have the support I need."I'm really appreciative of that. It means a lot to me."

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/austin_seferian-jenkins_ready_for_fresh_start_afte.html#incart_river_index

-- In addressing reporters for the first time since joining the New York Jets, Austin Seferian-Jenkins didn't want to talk about his DUI arrest last week or the embarrassing police video that surfaced in the aftermath.

"It's a legal matter," he said Thursday. "I can't explain that at this time."

By that, he meant his bizarre behavior on the video. Seferian-Jenkins wanted to focus on the future, saying he's thankful for a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" with the Jets. In fact, he used the words "thankful" and "opportunity" no fewer than 17 and 12 times, respectively, during an interview in front of his locker."I have to hold up my end of the bargain and do what's expected of me," he said, declining to be specific. "I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to take full advantage of my opportunities."

Seferian-Jenkins made his practice debut on Thursday, three days after he was claimed on waivers, which was three days after he was arrested and dumped by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He won't play Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, but the Jets considered him a worthwhile risk because of his receiving skills. In case you hadn't heard, the Jets didn't have a receiving threat at tight end.

Seferian-Jenkins met with coach Todd Bowles, who spelled out the ground rules. It's not hard to figure out what was said: Mess up again, and you're gone."Of course, anybody coming in is going to say all the right things, but your actions speak louder than your words," Bowles said. "He has a clean slate with us. Going forward, we’ll see what he does."

Seferian-Jenkins, who also had a DUI arrest in 2013, declined to say whether he has a drinking problem, but he suggested he will be seeking counseling. Brandon Marshall reached out to him last week, before he was claimed by the Jets, and provided a listing of "resources" in Manhattan."He's definitely helping me out a lot, giving me all the resources I need in the city to get the help that I need, to have the support I need," Seferian-Jenkins said. "I'm really appreciative. I'm very thankful he reached out to me. It means a lot to me."

He wouldn't say if he's planning to join any alcohol-related programs, but he added, "I will be using the resources and I'm looking forward to it."     

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63487/jets-te-austin-seferian-jenkins-ready-for-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Can Austin power the passing attack ? The Jets didn't know the severity of Eric Decker's shoulder injury when they claimed tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins on waivers this past Monday, based on the timeline presented by coach Todd Bowles. Talk about a break; they may have unwittingly landed a player who can help fill the Decker void. With Decker (torn rotator cuff) out indefinitely, Seferian-Jenkins could find a receiving role once he learns the offense -- if the coaches try to maximize his versatility.Seferian-Jenkins is a wide receiver in a tight end's body, which is good because the Jets have no use for a traditional tight end in their passing attack. Only three of his 22 receptions last season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came from the tight end position, according to ESPN Stats & Info research.

The rest came when he was detached from the line, including nine catches when split out wide. In this season's opener, he caught a 30-yard touchdown pass from the slot -- a deep seam route that culminated with a diving catch in the end zone. No tight end on the Jets' roster could've made that play. Seferian-Jenkins' skill set fits their spread offense.Curiously, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has used blocking tight end Kellen Davis more in the red zone than last season -- 31 of the team's 39 snaps, to be exact. Now they can give some of Davis' snaps to Seferian-Jenkins, a legitimate receiving threat. Or they can use him as the No. 3 or No. 4 receiver inside the 20. Or anywhere on the field, for that matter."Trust me, this kid has a Gronk skill set," a person close to the Bucs told me. "I just don't know if he gives a damn."

Seferian-Jenkins is a reclamation project with baggage on and off the field, which means he's hardly a sure thing. But, unless Gailey tosses him on the pile of other tight ends, he should get a chance to prove me (and everybody) wrong -- perhaps a bigger chance than anyone could've imagined.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63540/how-the-jets-may-have-lucked-into-a-way-to-minimize-loss-of-eric-decker

-- A total of 338 players have caught at least one pass through the first four weeks of the season, including three quarterbacks. Remarkably (or not), not a single player on the list made a reception while playing tight end for the New York Jets.

Could the slump end Sunday in Pittsburgh ?

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, the newest member of the Jets' tight end group, could make his debut against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Claimed on waivers 10 days ago from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seferian-Jenkins will have had five practices by week's end."He has a chance," coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday. "We’ll see how he handles his workload during the week. He has a chance to be [active]."

The Jets dressed three tight ends last week, but Braedon Bowman is nursing a knee injury, which could make it easy to add Seferian-Jenkins to the mix. He's the most skilled receiver among the tight ends, so they should be able to create a small role for him -- in theory, anyway. We all know offensive coordinator Chan Gailey prefers a receiver-heavy offense.Seferian-Jenkins recorded 45 catches and seven touchdowns in 18 games with the Bucs, which pretty much makes him John Mackey in the Jets' tight end room. They're the only team without a reception by a tight end. Actually, they've gone six straight games without one, dating to last December. The tight ends produced only eight catches in 20 games under the current coaching staff.

Another player could make his Jets debut this weekend -- cornerbackDarryl Roberts, whom they acquired on waivers at the end of the preseason. Roberts, who spent last season on the New England Patriots' injured reserve list, will be pressed into duty because of Darrelle Revis' hamstring injury. He has yet to appear in an NFL game.

Bowles said there's a "good chance" Roberts will be active, which suggests there's a high level of concern with regard to Revis' availability.

>           http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63678/could-te-austin-seferian-jenkins-be-slump-buster-for-jets-on-sunday

The Jets need some help at the tight end position, and also in their passing game, what with wide receiver Eric Decker nursing a partially torn rotator cuff. 

Austin Seferian-Jenkins could offer help in both of those areas. And he probably will make his Jets debut Sunday at the Steelers.Seferian-Jenkins, a third-year tight end, practiced just once last week, after the Jets claimed him off waivers. So he wasn't going to play against Seattle.This week, the Jets' coaches have given him a limited package of plays to learn. How much he plays will depend on whether the Jets use those packages, said coach Todd Bowles.

"He can do certain things," Bowles said, adding that Seferian-Jenkins doesn't yet have an "overall grasp" of the Jets' offense.One thing Seferian-Jenkins might even do — catch a pass. Through four games, the Jets' tight ends don't have any catches. They had eight all of last year."Last week, I was just asked to get in the playbook, to make sure I could get as much as I can," Seferian-Jenkins told NJ Advance Media.

And now  ? 

"I'm taking as much of my time as I can, to make sure I get up to speed and comfortable with what I have to do," he said. "I'm excited for the opportunity, and hopefully, I'll get out there Sunday." 

Seferian-Jenkins notices a big difference between this week and last week. 

"Definitely have a better grasp from last week to this week," he said. "Just because you can look at it in the playbook, but once you go out there on the field and see it — and have a coach coach you on how they want it to be done — you definitely get a full grasp." 

He said having a limited package of plays to learn eases his transition."If you're only asked to learn like three or four packages, instead of every package, that helps a lot," he said. "I'm thankful for them letting me learn a few packages. But those packages, I have to hone in on. I have to really know exactly what I'm doing." 

The Jets claimed Seferian-Jenkins after Tampa Bay released him following anembarrassing DUI arrest — his second DUI arrest since 2013. Seferian-Jenkins is looking forward to starting his second chance with the Jets on Sunday. "I'm very thankful for the opportunity to be here," he said. "Every single chance I get to go out there on the field, I want the Jets organization, I want the city of New York to realize how thankful I am to be here.

"So I'm going to let that be shown by my play — and as a professional, [how] I carry myself on and off the field. Especially on the field, and making sure that when they call on me, I come through."Same thing with anything off the field. Just being a professional. I just want to make sure I give everything I can to this organization for giving me another chance." 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/what_can_austin_seferian-jenkins_offer_jets_vs_ste.html#incart_river_index

-- Receiver Eric Decker (shoulder), tight end Braedon Bowman (knee) and offensive lineman Brian Winters (concussion) were ruled out for the New York Jets' game Sunday in Pittsburgh.

Receiver/kick returner Jalin Marshall (shoulder) and cornerback Darrelle Revis (hamstring) are doubtful for the game, according to Jets head coach Todd Bowles. In addition, Quincy Enunwa, who is the Jets’ leading receiver this season, was listed as questionable with a sore knee, Bowles said.With all the injuries, it seems likely the Jets will activate tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, whom the team signed last week after he was cut by Tampa Bay following a second DUI arrest. Bowles wouldn’t say for certain Seferian-Jenkins, who was inactive against the Seattle Seahawks last week, would be on the game-day roster Sunday, but he said the 6-5, 262-pounder has played well in practice all week.

"He’s been doing fine in practice," Bowles said. "He’s been coming along pretty good."

Seferian-Jenkins, 24, a third-year player with 45 career receptions, could give the Jets a weapon they have been lacking all season. Through the season’s first four games, no tight end has caught a pass. That has been mitigated somewhat by the emergence of the 6-2, 225-pound Enunwa, the third receiver behind Brandon Marshall and Decker. Enunwa has caught 23 balls for 243 yards and one touchdown in the first four games.

Bowles said if Enunwa can’t go and Seferian-Jenkins is activated, he wouldn’t be expected to make up for Enunwa’s absence. Seferian-Jenkins has been working with a limited number of plays within the playbook in his short time with the team and would be limited in what he could do."He can’t do what Quincy does -- he hasn’t been here long enough (and they play) different positions," Bowles said. "We’ll keep him in his package, if he plays, with the things he knows."

For his part, Seferian-Jenkins said he’ll be ready if called upon.

"I feel comfortable with what I’ve done in practice," he said. "And whatever they decide to do with the game personnel, that’s up to them. I’m going to focus on what I need to do, and if I’m called upon, I’m called upon."

>         http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63724/injuries-may-force-jets-to-activate-tight-end-austin-seferian-jenkins

~ ~   @eallenjets maybe a couple of passes to a TE? #offense

Archived