what if geno is the answer ? ? ?

Jetscode1

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The Jets offered Fitz the 24 mil deal for 12/6/6. So they obviously know they can figure out the cap mathematics. That also goes for a one year contract. They can do it if they wanted to. You don't go to Walmart for a Qb. It's the most important position on the team as we all would agree. 

Again, if Denver thought Fitz was a viable starting QB they would have tried to sign him before even considering Sanchez. Instead they sign Sanchez who may not even be the starter. What does that tell you about what Denver thinks about Fitz

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

yes of course they are but sometimes it just does not work that's why so many QB's fail at this level. If it was all about physical ability Jamarcus Russel and Kordell Stewart would have been superstars

Because you and others continue to compare Geno Smith to Jamarcus Russell and Kordell Stewart doesnt make Geno Smith comparable to Jamarcus Russell and Kordell Stewart. Matter of fact, Russell's career or lack of a career was based on his lack of effort. When has Geno Smith been known for a lack of effort? Stewart's career had ups and downs because he wasnt actually a QB, he was an athlete that could throw the football. Thats the difference between him and Geno Smith. Geno Smith is a quarterback, not a wide receiver/punt returner/quarterback/punter/kick returner/running back...etc. Comparisons like this is only made to disrespect Smith, not that the comparisons themselves hold any water. 

You reiterate most of what you hear for as long as it concludes that Geno Smith is a bad quarterback, though in reality Geno Smith is in no way, shape or form like Jamarcus Russell or Kordell Stewart as a football player. The comparison is and has always been ridiculous, just look at the play of all 3 players. Most of the people who go on talking about him "processing information slowly" cant read-react to a defense themselves and have never shown their own acumen to prove otherwise. Thats just the thing to say when they cant point out the actual problem but they just dont like the guy. 

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

Not true. Most coaches will tell you that you have to bring ability to read Progressions from College. can you improve on that? Sure. But sadly, Geno never brought the ounce of Progression read ability with him. In college it was BAM to primary or run.

Hack pick has me worried Petty may be struggling in this area also.

Appeal to authority without naming one source.  We can look at the careers of many (Gannon, Testaverde, Bradshaw) and see that many young QBs struggle with read progression entering the NFL.  I do concede Geno may or may not have a career as the ones I mentioned but it a possibility.

1 minute ago, billo83 said:

Again, if Denver thought Fitz was a viable starting QB they would have tried to sign him before even considering Sanchez. Instead they sign Sanchez who may not even be the starter. What does that tell you about what Denver thinks about Fitz

Denver reportedly offered him a 1 year 7 mil deal after they signed Sanchez. 

13 hours ago, ljr said:

Is this comment an attempt at trying to argue as a Geno fan that you are not throwing a bunch of excuses into the fray for his continuous poor performance since joining the NFL hoping they will turn out better in the future ?!?!?

THAT is EXACTLY what "your" (excuse me Mike135 "you're") doing ! 

Lol

First, im not a Geno fan, I just know bullsh*t when I read it. I give the guy the benefit of the doubt given the circumstance that he was in. And no, I dont do what the people who compare Geno Smith to Jamarcus Russell and Kordell Stewart are doing.

If the jets do not get Fitz done and Geno Plays I think it will be the wrong move BUT when the games start I will obviously be rooting for Geno to play well. Im a Jets fan not a forum fan. If Geno can not get it done and plays like he has inm the past that optimism will turn to more of an anger situation since we had the option to sign a QB who was very successful in the current offense.

Rooting for him like the way people was rooting for him against the Raiders last year? I bet that would be the case. The guy had a solid game yet you all exaggerated the situation yet had excuse after excuse for Fitz bad game in both Bills games. 

Funny how that happens. 

Villian would you expect me to root against the Jets if GEno was the QB and Fitz signed elsewhere ?

I expect you do to exactly what you've been doing. Making crazy comparisons to players that have no actual on field comparison to Geno Smith, saying that he cant read defenses yet never EVER give examples on this etc, etc. 

Thats what I expect from you....exactly what you've been doing. Now I dont mind that you like/dont like a player, what I mind is the bullsh*t that im hearing about a player. Much of the issues/comparisons I hear about Geno from many Jets fans/you dont even exist. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't care what the article says. I said we may have seen both of their peaks, which is equally a hypothetical. You chose not to acknowledge what I did say, and blabbered about a whole bunch of other nonsense. So, I responded more to illustrate that lack of acknowledgement, than to bicker.

Here are some of the pillars of the pro-Geno argument, paired with some realities that are being ignored by those posing those arguments... you ready?

Play Geno to avoid overpaying Fitz = Nobody is really advocating overpaying him. Geno supporters are basing "fair pay" for Fitz on a QB market from 5 years ago. Even the most ardent Fitz supporters, who also lack reason at times, are advocating that he receive less than this particular market's value is. = both sides agree. (The question nobody wants to touch the answer to is "how much is a winning season worth?" Will we really give a **** about Fitz's salary if we get into the playoffs? The canned answer is "blah blah... career... Fitz... no playoffs. Even though Fitz is now playing with the best supporting cast he's ever had, which should elevate his potential... you know, the same argument being used in favor of Geno.)

Geno didn't have weapons = Eh, he didn't have Marshall is the reality. Some of the biggest supporters of the "no weapons" argument are also the biggest supporters of the "give Kerley a chance" posters. So, if they believed Kerley was better than the Jets treated him, then that hurts the premise of their argument that Geno didn't have enough talent around him. He had Kerley and Harvin. Fitz has Marshall. Marshall is better, yes, but the other guys weren't slouches, not by the argument these same posters have made in favor of Kerley. So, those posters should be willing to concede they were wrong, or they are being hypocrites now. The other angle on the weapons argument is that Jerry Rice and Megatron could be lining up on the outsides, with Chrebet in the slot, and if NOTHING the QB does before the snap (read the defense, audible, make adjustments at the line, hot reads, etc.) and after the snap (protect the football, look coverage off, know the routes that are being run, go through progressions, etc.) then there's really not that much elevation being provided by the presence of a great WR. Marshall could probably bail out a few bad throws a year, just like he does for Fitz, and like all great WRs do for their QBs. Larry Fitzgerald has caught passes from 16 different QBs... he never once made any of them better than they were for any extended period of time. Only 2 of them were good QBs, and they were good before playing with Larry. So, this argument that Marshall will suddenly legitimize Geno is mostly farce. The only one that can legitimize Geno, is Geno. I hope he can do it, I just have doubts based on what we've seen of him so far.

• Josh McCown

• Shaun King

• John Navarre

• Kurt Warner

• Tim Hasselbeck

• Tim Rattay

• Matt Leinart

• Brian St. Pierre

• Derek Anderson

• Kevin Kolb

• Max Hall

• John Skelton

• Richard Bartel

• Brian Hoyer

• Ryan Lindley

• Carson Palmer

• Drew Stanton

Fitz is a career loser = pulling the numbers on this do back up that argument, and it is the only valid argument that I've seen anyone make so far. It doesn't require hyperbole to substantiate it. It is what it is. This is my biggest concern with him, personally. That said, if the argument is that Geno will magically be better with this coaching staff and playmakers, and we've already seen that happen with Fitz, then the "better situation" argument invalidates the "history has shown us" argument for Fitz, the same way it does for Geno.

I think the 4th, and probably the only other common pro-Geno argument that gets traction is...

Fitz is a turnover machine who can't throw the deep ball = Well, I debunked the deep ball argument months ago. I'm not resurrecting that post for our purposes now, mostly because I can't use the search function that precisely. As for turnovers... *looks at how Geno protects the ball, and scratches head* I'd say these guys are squarely even in that category. 

Ultimately, if we roll with Geno we have to hope that he fixed himself. None of the other fringe arguments being batted around here are going to prove out. He has to fix himself if he's going to ascend to anything that can carry us to the SuperBowl. You guys are all just fapping into your own mouths trying to shroud guess-work with something that seems knowledgable. 

Ad hominem attacks serve you well here.  Not sure it matters but I'll try.  How much is a winning season worth?  Not much.  Who cares if we keep Ryan Fitzpatrick at the wrong price point/length of contract as this will just cause long term complications (see Sanchez contract).  Do you really see Fitzpatrick holding the Lombardi Trophy?  The guy epitomizes the term JAG.  As for the Kerley and Harvin, they are both slouches (do not even reach the JAG level).  I could go on about the Rex regime and his desire to see the defense on the field for the entire game but that would lead to more arguments about acknowledgements and hypotheticals.

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

First, im not a Geno fan, I just know bullsh*t when I read it. I give the guy the benefit of the doubt given the circumstance that he was in. And no, I dont do what the people who compare Geno Smith to Jamarcus Russell and Kordell Stewart are doing.

C'mon man.  You are the world's biggest Geno fan and together with about half a dozen others you have been spamming the boards for two years now with this stuff.

We get it, you think the is still a chance that he can be better than average, possibly even a franchise QB and you want to give him yet another chance in the hope that this turns out to be true.

8 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Ad hominem attacks serve you well here.  Not sure it matters but I'll try.  How much is a winning season worth?  Not much.  Who cares if we keep Ryan Fitzpatrick at the wrong price point/length of contract as this will just cause long term complications (see Sanchez contract).  Do you really see Fitzpatrick holding the Lombardi Trophy?  The guy epitomizes the term JAG.  As for the Kerley and Harvin, they are both slouches (do not even reach the JAG level).  I could go on about the Rex regime and his desire to see the defense on the field for the entire game but that would lead to more arguments about acknowledgements and hypotheticals.

And having the right mentor for the kids is not a consideration?

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

We get it, you think the is still a chance that he can be better than average, possibly even a franchise QB and you want to give him yet another chance in the hope that this turns out to be true.

Nothing wrong with that.

Better odds that a 4th year guy who played two years (when he wasn't ready) in a crap situation, can be better than an 11 year vet who has never been good.

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

C'mon man.  You are the world's biggest Geno fan and together with about half a dozen others you have been spamming the boards for two years now with this stuff.

Spamming the boards? Funny how this is even a statement. On one hand, anyone who has negative sh*t to say about Geno Smith within ANY thread isnt met with "Spamming the boards", on the otherhand, anyone either refuting or supporting Geno to start is "spamming the boards". You have guys like @Joe Jets fan that will go in to any Geno thread with his usual rhetoric along with with others such as MaineJet etc. who goes into random threads stating their displeasure with Geno Smith. Yet guys like myself, who've made it known repeatedly that they would prefer a guy like Glennon over Smith, BUT prefers Smith over Fitzpatrick for example is suddenly "Spamming the boards". 

I've had numerous people here tell me how im making the "board unreadable" yet the same sh*t...just the other side of the coin is being said at the same rate, if not more in other threads as well, yet for some reason the people who support giving Geno this opportunity is "Spamming the boards". 

Laughable the level of hypocrisy. I'll continue to spam the boards if this is the case. At the end of the day I've made my position on the matter clear and will continue to support that notion not caring about people talking about who is "spamming the boards" because "spamming the boards" is just code for saying "We dont like Geno supporters". 

Whatever dude.

With the Ryan Fitzpatrick situation in a stalemate, and very little on the open market, it is absolutely conceivable that the New York Jets will be starting Geno Smith at quarterback this season. Now that may send chills down your spine, and I guarantee some fans will throw the towel in before the season starts if this happens, but maybe we shouldn't be quite so quick to judge.

Todd Bowles has said that Geno Smith is the man, which is hardly surprising considering the alternatives. Bryce Petty was always a project, and despite the natural gives that Hackenberg possesses...he still has a lot of work to do before he starts in this league. Could one of these guys serve up a Russell Wilson and leave the coaching staff no choice but to play them? It could happen, but I wouldn't be betting on it.I went back and had a look at Geno in 2013 and 2014. He has talent, but does he have what it takes between the ears? He looked a little lost, sometimes a little afraid. He made some poor reads, rarely got in tune with his receivers, and made some pretty dumb decisions. However you can't look at Geno without looking at his supporting cast. Have you taken a look at the receiving core the Jets pushed out in 2013?

Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell, David Nelson, Kellen Winslow and Jeff Cumberland, those were the top five receivers by receptions in 2013, with Stephen Hill just missing the cut.2014 we had Eric Decker come on board, and he performed well, but was beat up a lot of the year. However you can't discount him, so here is a list of players by receptions. Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Jace Amaro, Percy Harvin and Chris Johnson. A better receiving core, but again it's probably better on paper than in practise.

The Jets look a lot different in 2016. Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Matt Fortealone should make anyone stand up and take notice. This isn't to say that Geno will all of a sudden become Joe Montana, but at the same time Geno has had the luxury of taking a year to sit back and learn the ropes.Look at it this way, Geno has starting experience, a much better receiving unit and a year of experience running the system and learning the intricacies of it. I don't know if Geno has improved, I don't know if Geno has the ability to be a starting QB in this league, but I do know that I'm not ready to completely write him off based on the difficult start to his career.

It's always been my preferred method to sit a QB straight out of college, I really do think there is something for letting a player get accustomed to the NFL way before shouldering the huge amount of pressure that comes with starting in the league. Geno wasn't afforded that luxury, but what if he has grown as a player and as a person? What if he is the answer ?

Food for thought on this post holiday Tuesday.

>     http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/7/5/12095900/what-if-geno-is-the-answer

40 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Denver reportedly offered him a 1 year 7 mil deal after they signed Sanchez. 

What don't you understand about my post? I said Denver would have tried to sign Fitz BEFORE even considering Sanchez. So in other words, they wouldn't have traded for Sanchez until after they tried to sign Fitz as the starter. They didn't and were not going to give him more 7m to be the starter. You said yourself that Sanchez may not wind up being the starter. So if they thought Fitz would be a good starter for them, they would have signed him for more than 7m. They didn't and determined his value to be 7m which is what this whole argument is about.

11 hours ago, ljr said:

So you are trying to say 1 bad game is worse than 33 bad games?

my heart may not be able to hold up this season ... But it Sounds like your brain has already left us 

33 bad games? Come on dude get real. I know you hate Geno incessantly but be fair. Last I looked Geno won 8 games as a rookie throwing to the likes of Clyde Gates. Fitz had more that one bad game, but the one game he needed to win he crapped the bed throwing to the likes of Marshall and Decker.

10 minutes ago, billo83 said:

What don't you understand about my post? I said Denver would have tried to sign Fitz BEFORE even considering Sanchez. So in other words, they wouldn't have traded for Sanchez until after they tried to sign Fitz as the starter. They didn't and were not going to give him more 7m to be the starter. You said yourself that Sanchez may not wind up being the starter. So if they thought Fitz would be a good starter for them, they would have signed him for more than 7m. They didn't and determined his value to be 7m which is what this whole argument is about.

Well they traded for Mark (maybe they had to or another team would have traded for him. The new Philly HC wanted Chase Daniel) and probably wanted Fitz to compete with him for the starting job. I don't know for sure,  I just know that after they traded for Mark they were interested in Fitz. My thinking is that at the time Fitz felt he was signing here and wasn't really interested in considering other offers esp lower offers. It was 3 or 4 months ago. As for Elway's thinking originally they planned on starting Osweiler. But Elway didn't want to give him that kind of contract. Then he was rumored to be interested in Kap but was not willing to pay more than 7 mil per season for him and they couldn't make a deal. So that 7 mil figure is prominent in the Broncos org thinking. I still wouldn't be shocked if Kap ends up in Denver. It's up to Kap and SF who could if they want to pay the difference.

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Spamming the boards? Funny how this is even a statement. On one hand, anyone who has negative sh*t to say about Geno Smith within ANY thread isnt met with "Spamming the boards", on the otherhand, anyone either refuting or supporting Geno to start is "spamming the boards". You have guys like @Joe Jets fan that will go in to any Geno thread with his usual rhetoric along with with others such as MaineJet etc. who goes into random threads stating their displeasure with Geno Smith. Yet guys like myself, who've made it known repeatedly that they would prefer a guy like Glennon over Smith, BUT prefers Smith over Fitzpatrick for example is suddenly "Spamming the boards". 

I've had numerous people here tell me how im making the "board unreadable" yet the same sh*t...just the other side of the coin is being said at the same rate, if not more in other threads as well, yet for some reason the people who support giving Geno this opportunity is "Spamming the boards". 

Laughable the level of hypocrisy. I'll continue to spam the boards if this is the case. At the end of the day I've made my position on the matter clear and will continue to support that notion not caring about people talking about who is "spamming the boards" because "spamming the boards" is just code for saying "We dont like Geno supporters". 

Whatever dude.

I defy you to even find a thread on this topic started by a Fitzpatrick supporter.  Every single one of them (dozens and dozens) including this one has been started by the Geno crowd as if there were not 27 other currently active threads where the same spam has been repeated endlessly.

50 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

lol, yea... ad hominem attacks

i know you are trolling here, but i don't really have the bandwidth to keep going back and forth like i normally might for sport... tip of the cap for the the brazen sidesteps :)

Let me see, all of these threads on the first page...

This one 

and this one

and this one, and yes I know where Bowlesmovement stands on this question but even so.  It looks from here like all of the spamming is coming from one side.

and this one

and this collection of dreck

and just in case all of the other polls on this topic weren't sufficient

39 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Whatever dude.

this bitch about to go emo^^^

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I defy you to even find a thread on this topic started by a Fitzpatrick supporter.  Every single one of them (dozens and dozens) including this one has been started by the Geno crowd as if there were not 27 other currently active threads where the same spam has been repeated endlessly.

Finding a fitz supporter that started a fitz thread and having fitz supporters all within Geno threads holds no difference to me. You can attempt to flip what I said but it is what it is. I can certainly find a thread made on this topic by a fitz supporter but doing so doesnt change a thing about what I stated. 

You spamming the board guys are funny, especially when you spam that within those threads. 

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

And that's just this week, after a bit of apathy has finally set in... should have done this audit a month ago when I was hammering the same point you are now.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Finding a fitz supporter that started a fitz thread and having fitz supporters all within Geno threads holds no difference to me. You can attempt to flip what I said but it is what it is. I can certainly find a thread made on this topic by a fitz supporter but doing so doesnt change a thing about what I stated. 

You spamming the board guys are funny, especially when you spam that within those threads. 

You're losing.

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

This one 

and this one

and this one, and yes I know where Bowlesmovement stands on this question but even so.  It looks from here like all of the spamming is coming from one side.

and this one

Glenn is AFJF and, like BM, prefers Fitz. Kelly is as neutral as her gender. Not sure where you're trying to go here. 

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

This one 

and this one

and this one

That funny, @BowlesMovement has just recently come around to the benefit of the doubt situation with Geno. Bowles has been very vocal on this thread about his feelings regarding Geno. When has @JetNation become a Geno supporter? When has @kelly been a Geno Supporter? Matter of fact, Kelly has the BIGGEST Ryan Fitzpatrick thread on this board. 

Your position is ridiculous. If Ryan Fitzpatrick was signed today RIGHT NOW this entire forum would be full of thread after thread from here on out. There's no need threads because there's no actual news on Fitz such as Minicamp/OTA's etc. Matter of fact, the most threads spoken about is nothing more than comparison threads. Why? because you have the same people on the other side of the coin (not called Spammers) talking about "there is no way Geno will be starter week 1 and Fitz will be signed and the starter come week 1". 

Lets be serious here. People like Jetnation, Kelly, BowlesMovement have all issued their displeasure about Geno. I've even done so. But there's a difference between being a Geno support (a fan) and understanding that you have a young guy who you needs to be invested in just like Petty and Hackenberg and not giving 15 million dollars to a guy who's not even a Jet so there's no reason to have thread on top of thread about him. 

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Glenn is AFJF and, like BM, prefers Fitz. Kelly is as neutral as her gender. Not sure where you're trying to go here. 

And this one just got merged with Kelly and jetsCode1 starting the same thread a few minutes apart.  Even excluding Kelly bot it does not take much insight to figure out the motivation to start yet another new thread on this subject  entitled "What if Geno is the Answer???" 

Or the motivation for selective quoting of another poster which just so happens to support one's own position on this topic for that matter.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That funny, @BowlesMovement has just recently come around to the benefit of the doubt situation with Geno. Bowles has been very vocal on this thread about his feelings regarding Geno. When has @JetNation become a Geno supporter? When has @kelly been a Geno Supporter? Matter of fact, Kelly has the BIGGEST Ryan Fitzpatrick thread on this board. 

Your position is ridiculous. If Ryan Fitzpatrick was signed today RIGHT NOW this entire forum would be full of thread after thread from here on out. There's no need threads because there's no actual news on Fitz such as Minicamp/OTA's etc. Matter of fact, the most threads spoken about is nothing more than comparison threads. Why? because you have the same people on the other side of the coin (not called Spammers) talking about "there is no way Geno will be starter week 1 and Fitz will be signed and the starter come week 1". 

Lets be serious here. People like Jetnation, Kelly, BowlesMovement have all issued their displeasure about Geno. I've even done so. But there's a difference between being a Geno support (a fan) and understanding that you have a young guy who you needs to be invested in just like Petty and Hackenberg and not giving 15 million dollars to a guy who's not even a Jet so there's no reason to have thread on top of thread about him. 

Rubbish.  There was almost zero discussion on this topic last year after Fitzpatrick won the starting job with his performances on the field.

If Fitzpatrick signs then I expect this whole discussion is pretty much done and dusted.

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

And this one just got merged with Kelly and jetsCode1 starting the same thread a few minutes apart.  Even excluding Kelly bot it does not take much insight to figure out the motivation to start yet another new thread on this subject  new entitled "What if Geno is the Answer???" 

Or the motivation for selective quoting of another poster which just so happens to support one's own position on this topic for that matter.

I'd respond better if I had any idea what you're talking about. 

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Rubbish.  There was almost zero discussion on this topic last year after Fitzpatrick won the starting job with his performances on the field.

"Almost" is the key word there.  There were a few calling for Geno to play throughout last season.  Some weren't fooled by the easy opponents and our great WRs hiding Fitz's mediocrity.

5 minutes ago, EM31 said:

If Fitzpatrick signs then I expect this whole discussion is pretty much done and dusted.

"Almost"???? lol. The second time you sidestepped. 

And Fitzpatrick didnt win a starting job, he was put into the starting lineup due to injury. THATS why there was "almost" zero discussion like this last year, ESPECIALLY during OTA's minicamp because Geno was smoking that dude throughout. 

Archived