Trade with Cowboys

varjet

I was listening to ESPN this morning, and there was a discussion of how good the Cowboys OL was but how bad their DL/Defense was.

Our OL is looking worse and worse everyday.  After building back up QB, WR, RB, LB, CB and S, Macc appears to be caught flatfooted on this one.  If Breno's back is not working now after 7 months of rest and a poor 2015, how is he going to play well in 2016?

Do you think there is a trade to be done here?  Jerry Jones also appears to have been caught flatfooted, but relying on problem children to play D for him.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

I was listening to ESPN this morning, and there was a discussion of how good the Cowboys OL was but how bad their DL/Defense was.

Our OL is looking worse and worse everyday.  After building back up QB, WR, RB, LB, CB and S, Macc appears to be caught flatfooted on this one.  If Breno's back is not working now after 7 months of rest and a poor 2015, how is he going to play well in 2016?

Do you think there is a trade to be done here?  Jerry Jones also appears to have been caught flatfooted, but relying on problem children to play D for him.

A few of us, myself included, proposed a hypothetical trade with the Cowboys back before the draft as a way of moving Wilk, and addressing major need on the OL. 

Instead, Mac extended Wilk and traded for Clady, which I have no problem with. 

That said, I still think there is potential here. I just don't know if a player for player trade is feasible at this stage. Maybe a draft pick for an OT. I doubt it happens though.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

A few of us, myself included, proposed a hypothetical trade with the Cowboys back before the draft as a way of moving Wilk, and addressing major need on the OL. 

Instead, Mac extended Wilk and traded for Clady, which I have no problem with. 

That said, I still think there is potential here. I just don't know if a player for player trade is feasible at this stage. Maybe a draft pick for an OT. I doubt it happens though.

I doubt a traded happens also, just praying Clady stays healthy

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I doubt a traded happens also, just praying Clady stays healthy

Even if he does the only position on the line that is locked down and secured with a younger player is LG(Carpenter) Mangold is getting older and Breno is a disgrace. We need a right tackle and right guard. The entire right side of our line is terrible. Winters needs to step it up this year BIG if he wants to stay on the roster. 

29 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

i like the idea, however trades in the NFL are so rarely done. But for argument sake who would you be willing to give up and for which OLineman?

I don't see Richardson being a Jet long-term.  Maybe send them him and get Lael Collins and a draft pick.

May be possible, but who could we trade to the Boys that would be a starter in their eyes hile at the same time not being considered a big deal for us to trade? 

I could ask that same question for Dallas and their O-line. Who could we trade for that would be an immediate upgrade that they could afford to trade?

It's possible, as anything is, but I think our O-line concerns will finally be met next off-season. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

May be possible, but who could we trade to the Boys that would be a starter in their eyes hile at the same time not being considered a big deal for us to trade? 

I could ask that same question for Dallas and their O-line. Who could we trade for that would be an immediate upgrade that they could afford to trade?

It's possible, as anything is, but I think our O-line concerns will finally be met next off-season. 

The way we've handled the past 2 offseasons, it sure seems like a big spend in assets (whether FA cash or picks) is looming for that OL. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

The way we've handled the past 2 offseasons, it sure seems like a big spend in assets (whether FA cash or picks) is looming for that OL. 

I definitely agree with this, and that is the smart long-term plan.  The question I have is whether the 2016 OL at this point sinks the season for a team with many critical players over 30 and that is somewhat built to win.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't see Richardson being a Jet long-term.  Maybe send them him and get Lael Collins and a draft pick.

Yes, that's what the Cowboys need, one more defensive player staring at a year long suspension,lol. What's the fine for having 4 guys suspended at the same time?

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean since we took Brick and Mangold within 20 picks in round 1 I cant remember a single 1st maybe even 2nd round O lineman we have taken. 

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Too lopsided.  Richardson is a far better player right now than Collins.  The other guys would all be upgrades but I don't see DAL wanting to let any of them go, even to get a stud DL.  Maybe I'm wrong but Zack Martin would be interesting as he can play both RG and RT and we could use a major upgrade on that side.

If either team was going to consider this you certainly picked the strong points of each team which means they could possibly fill holes without losing much at the positions you mentioned. Only problem is trades like this are rare in the NFL when you can fill most holes via FA and the Draft. I think the Cowboys are in much worse shape along their DL than we are on our O line so we would hold the leverage and In that case Jerry Jones would probably never bargain with us since he can't have the upper hand and he's a freakin ego maniac

22 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I mean since we took Brick and Mangold within 20 picks in round 1 I cant remember a single 1st maybe even 2nd round O lineman we have taken. 

Ducasse was a 2nd rounder, I think. But Jets 2nd rounders never pan out, like ever.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Ducasse was a 2nd rounder, I think. But Jets 2nd rounders never pan out, like ever.

Totally forgot about him. Weird too because I almost pissed myself listening to An Ann Rice novel book on tape driving at night through Pennsylvania mountains. 

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

I definitely agree with this, and that is the smart long-term plan.  The question I have is whether the 2016 OL at this point sinks the season for a team with many critical players over 30 and that is somewhat built to win.

I don't want this to digress into more Fitz/Geno bickering, but I say this in all seriousness... Fitz's ability to get the ball out quickly makes the OL better. I will probably get flamed for the comparison, but Brady's OL was horrid last year, and in past years his OL always seems great, when the reality is that they hold constantly and he gets the ball out so quickly there's no time for them to get flagged for the holding. It's a precision thing, but a great way of off-setting a mediocre OL

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I don't want this to digress into more Fitz/Geno bickering, but I say this in all seriousness... Fitz's ability to get the ball out quickly makes the OL better. I will probably get flamed for the comparison, but Brady's OL was horrid last year, and in past years his OL always seems great, when the reality is that they hold constantly and he gets the ball out so quickly there's no time for them to get flagged for the holding. It's a precision thing, but a great way of off-setting a mediocre OL

exactly what I was thinking with the exact same concerns

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

QFT

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

+1 That was also the case with Kenny O and Pat Ryan.. Ryan got the ball out quickly Kenny didn't..

1 hour ago, varjet said:

We run a 3-4, with 3-4 guys.   They run a 4-3. trying to get 4-3 guys.

What they want, and what we have don't really jive that well.  

Just now, chirorob said:

We run a 3-4, with 3-4 guys.   They run a 4-3. trying to get 4-3 guys.

What they want, and what we have don't really jive that well.  

You don't think Mo,Sheldon or Leo couldn't do both systems?? Ellis and Abe did..

29 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

i like the idea, however trades in the NFL are so rarely done. But for argument sake who would you be willing to give up and for which OLineman?

why is it that such trades in the NFL are rarely done?  In baseball, the Cubs, for example, will trade one of their big hitters for a pitcher, from a team rich in pitchers and lacking hitters. But in football it rarely happens. Why don't you see that type of thing in football?

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is so true. It's probably the reason we lost every game that Powell missed. No quick outlets! Other QBs look for either the RB or the big TE as their safety valve. We had games where Fitz had neither, Kellen Davis? Guys horrible!

This year he's gonna have Forte & Powell, Amaro & Sudfeld who are 6'-5" 265 & 6'-6" 255 respectively. That's 2 backs with great hands, 2 TEs with great size as possible check downs/ box out outlets to get rid of the ball quickly under duress. That's a huge help to the Oline & we're not even factoring in the Quick outs to Marshall when CBs play off or the quick slants to Decker & Enunwa both big bodied receivers that can shield off smaller CBs, they are both bigger than most safeties, and can run past LBs.

42 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz ain't no cheater Ape!!

Just remember Pete Kendall and Adrian Clark.

The Jets had a team that looked good, but Tannenbaum decided to stiff Pete Kendall and took more chances on the OL.  The season basically collapsed.

That lesson basically led Tannenbaum to draft Brick and Mangold and then sign others (Mawae, Faneca, Woody) aggressively so that the Jets had a solid line.  

The Jets are loaded at DL and short on OL.   If I were Macc, I would be a tad aggressive about it.  Maybe sign Jaeckle If he gets cut from Jax.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Just remember Pete Kendall and Adrian Clark.

The Jets had a team that looked good, but Tannenbaum decided to stiff Pete Kendall and took more chances on the OL.  The season basically collapsed.

That lesson basically led Tannenbaum to draft Brick and Mangold and then sign others (Mawae, Faneca, Woody) aggressively so that the Jets had a solid line.  

The Jets are loaded at DL and short on OL.   If I were Macc, I would be a tad aggressive about it.  Maybe sign Jaeckle If he gets cut from Jax.  

to be fair that 2007 season Chad got hurt again and we played most of it w/ Kellen Clemens.  we could have had an all-pro OL and it wouldn't have mattered.

Archived