WR Depth

varjet

It would appear to me that any WRs released by the Jets could likely be picked up by other teams.  

You could probably say the same thing about the DL, LB,, S and QB.  OL-probably not.

But in any event, Assuming D Smith gets put on IR/PUP, and the Jets keep Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and some combination of Ross, Peake, Thompkins, and J Marshall, and Robby Anderson and perhaps others go on the practice squad:

1)  Whose place does D Smith take, if anyone's?    Has he become surplus at this point?

2) It would not appear any of the younger receivers are really able to replace B Marshall and Decker?  They each could have another 2-3 years or more left in them.

So basically, I am having a hard time figuring out how D Smith fits on the team in the long term.

Bowles likes veterans. Thompkins did pretty well for us last year and caught pretty much everything (people on here clearly only remember the Buffalo game, and probably forgot the Dallas game). He filled in for Brandon Marshall today with the 1's, which is telling IMO. It's possible that Thompkins, Peake AND Marshall all make the team with Smith on IR (which I believe is the most likely scenario). All 3 of them are cheap. I've said on another thread that if Marshall and Peake continue to thrive, he'll be the one cut if Smith is eligible to come back.

There is no way that Smith is not IR'd.  He is not on the active roster in September.

I think they are in a tough position with Ross, nothwithstanding his journeyman history. 

Someone gets a one week pass with SR's suspension.

I could see Smith missing the whole year. If we try to activate him mid year, he's missed all of the off season and training camp, plus at least 6 games if not more.

I could understand if we were struggling at WR, but right now we look set. Let him heal up and work out to get ready for camp next year. Meanwhile see what youngsters flash. All builds good depth for when the older guys start to decline / retire.

Devin Smith has little value in a Ryan Fitzpatrick-led offense.  If it was Petty/Geno/Hack running the show, different story.  Smith is a vertical WR playing with a QB who thrives on the short/medium passing game.  I liked the draft pick at the time but I'm not sure how he fits in as long as Fitz is here (which could be the case next season too).  Maybe he'd be good trade bait if he wasn't on the PUP list.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

It would appear to me that any WRs released by the Jets could likely be picked up by other teams.  

You could probably say the same thing about the DL, LB,, S and QB.  OL-probably not.

But in any event, Assuming D Smith gets put on IR/PUP, and the Jets keep Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and some combination of Ross, Peake, Thompkins, and J Marshall, and Robby Anderson and perhaps others go on the practice squad:

1)  Whose place does D Smith take, if anyone's?    Has he become surplus at this point?

2) It would not appear any of the younger receivers are really able to replace B Marshall and Decker?  They each could have another 2-3 years or more left in them.

So basically, I am having a hard time figuring out how D Smith fits on the team in the long term.

We wont have marshal and decker long term. right now we have a group of young wide receivers who are showing potential, that doesn't mean all of them are going to pan out the way we want them to but either way there is no such thing as having too many decent receivers on the team. I think it will be good to keep as many of the young guys who are doing well around as we can so that they can start working on some chemistry with whoever they decide is going to be our qb of the future

Smith will at least be PUP, out for first 6 weeks of season. I think they keep 6 WR's:

B Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, J Marshall, Peake and Ross/Thompkins. I am guessing Ross will stay for specials. Thompkins doesn't play specials and has no additional ceiling. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfanri said:

Smith will at least be PUP, out for first 6 weeks of season. I think they keep 6 WR's:

B Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, J Marshall, Peake and Ross/Thompkins. I am guessing Ross will stay for specials. Thompkins doesn't play specials and has no additional ceiling. 

I was thinking that as well. Smith is in quite the sticky situation. Dude gets drafted then injured twice the moment Macc makes it his business to make the WR position our greatest strength. 

It doesnt help that rookies Marshall and Peake are showing up in camp with Anderson not far behind 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

1) let's wait until he gets back. Long season. A lot can happen. 

The end. 

3 hours ago, varjet said:

There is no way that Smith is not IR'd.  He is not on the active roster in September.

I think they are in a tough position with Ross, nothwithstanding his journeyman history. 

Someone gets a one week pass with SR's suspension.

He is on the PUP now and assuming he remains there once the season starts, he will remain so until he's eligible to come off between weeks 6-9. The Jets then get three weeks to decide whether to put him on the 53 or IR him for the rest of the season. 

Situations like these are why head coaches not named Belichick should NEVER EVER have final say over the 53. Ever.

Cutting Devin Smith, Jalin Marshall or Charone Peake would be monumentally dumb.

A defensive head coach like Bowles would probably rather keep Ross and Thompkins maybe even Smith and keep another DB

44 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Situations like these are why head coaches not named Belichick should NEVER EVER have final say over the 53. Ever.

Cutting Devin Smith, Jalin Marshall or Charone Peake would be monumentally dumb.

A defensive head coach like Bowles would probably rather keep Ross and Thompkins maybe even Smith and keep another DB

Smith isn't being cut and anyone suggesting that knows nothing.  Smith is Mac's guy and Mac knows that Smith has had some bad luck thus far.  He literally missed all of training camp and the preseason last year and then he tears his ACL at the end of the season, which is going to cost him all of training camp and the preseason this year.  

Archived