Current Roster after Cuts/ Waiver Wire / Practice Squad

Sarge4Tide

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams don't usually want to keep players they waived injuried - they almost always work out an injury settlement and release the player - it's unusual for someone  with a guaranteed contract of be waived injured - I would assume they can just release him from IR since they are on the hook for the full contract anyway 

11 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

So what's the point? Once healthy you have to expose them to the league before they can make your team? I still don't get it. 

Sure the point is, that it protects players to some extent that is if they're injured they still get paid.  And, it keeps team from stashing players on IR with no exposure to waivers so that teams they don't do that repetitively to retain players for nothing but money.

2 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Sure the point is, that it protects players to some extent that is if they're injured they still get paid.  And, it keeps team from stashing players on IR with no exposure to waivers so that teams they don't do that repetitively to retain players for nothing but money.

It depends on how long they take to recover. This is what an injury settlement is for. If he would be able to play in 4 weeks you pay him 1/4 of his salary then waive him. That way the player still sign with another team. 

Vested veterans do not need to clear waivers. 

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Does it really matter that Petty is 'not ready' if Geno 'is what he is' which is bad?  Geno's been here going on 4 yrs now, and like Sanchez, has terrible instincts.

Petty is more 'ready' than Geno at this point IMO.  You can disagree, but what I see with my eyes is that Petty has at least as good of an arm, demonstrates pocket awareness, has a great attitude and an ability to learn...none of which I've seen from Geno...ever.

And if Hack looks like this next preseason, we can talk.  Shell should NOT have been playing LT..they should have split out Iliana and Qvale to RT/LT, and gave Shell some reps at RT.  Hack with limited reps probably knew about 10 plays, and was never intended to play 3+ qtrs.  Give him a year and we can talk.

petty did that against back ups in vanilla schemes.  geno has his faults, but he has won games against the real thing.

the plan to me is get through this year with fitz/geno and then hopefully bridge to petty/please god anyone but hack

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It depends on how long they take to recover. This is what an injury settlement is for. If he would be able to play in 4 weeks you pay him 1/4 of his salary then waive him. That way the player still sign with another team. 

Vested veterans do not need to clear waivers. 

Sure that's what the Jets did with Milliner....if he's better in a few weeks, and has an offer, he can settle with the Jets on the injury front and then sign with another team  saving the Jets cap space I think.

It kinda protects both the player and team.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

petty did that against back ups in vanilla schemes.  geno has his faults, but he has won games against the real thing.

the plan to me is get through this year with fitz/geno and then hopefully bridge to petty/please god anyone but hack

Sometimes, circumstances thrust opportunities upon you...like when Sanchez got hurt in the Snoopy Bowl and Geno became the starter...sometimes you try to plan, plan, plan, and things don't work out.  Geno ended up starting for 2 years and regressed throughout, or at least made no progress IMO.  He looks no more he wiser 1+ years later.  Losers stick with the suboptimal because it's perceived to be 'safer'.

How do you know what Petty's record would have been if placed in Geno's shoes?  But even not considering that, if you know Geno isn't the long term answer at QB for the Jets, and Petty has shown some progress,what again is the point of Geno?  Some people, hard to imagine, actually show progress when placed in positions that may not be considered ready for...but most of the people who have documented over time that they have underachieved do not.

You want to stick with the underwhelming Geno who's a goner after this season?  You're entitled to your opinion, and I cannot prove to you that is wrong  Guess we differ there.

I'm old enough to say I remember the vicious hit Lewis put on Bledsoe that spawned Brady...and NO ONE knew WTF Brady had done 'against the 1's' before that...yet he's here still today.

Just saying' when you know someone's not the answer, just move on.

13 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

2 TEs will be cut before game 1. Many players will come and go over the next week. 

This is why I said not to worry about the final 5 roster spots. This happens every year.

Some will be safe on the 53 until week 1 then put on the practice squad once teams set their rosters. 

That is doubtful...the 2 new TE will probably be inactive for first few games until they learn playbook

pope as well

i think Davis in danger 1st from TE from KC but that will not be easy

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

That is doubtful...the 2 new TE will probably be inactive for first few games until they learn playbook

pope as well

i think Davis in danger 1st from TE from KC but that will not be easy

You might be right, but I think they can learn how to whiff on blocks, and not catch balls in a week. The playbook for the TEs we have is not complicated. They don't run complicated routes or run any combination blocks. Maybe Parker can learn to be a part of the line over time but Davis is not, and Bostic never even tried. 

They block in space. That's all instinct. Then they cross, sit in the flat, or find a soft spot in zone. Nothing complicated. 

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You might be right, but I think they can learn how to whiff on blocks, and not catch balls in a week. The playbook for the TEs we have is not complicated. They don't run complicated routes or run any combination blocks. Maybe Parker can learn to be a part of the line over time but Davis is not, and Bostic never even tried. 

They block in space. That's all instinct. Then they cross, sit in the flat, or find a soft spot in zone. Nothing complicated. 

I tho Bostik was pretty good in PS

i think the Jets will play a lot of 4 wr anyway

Marshal, Decker, Q, Anderson...with Forte

10 hours ago, Larz said:

This is just a WHOLE lotta wow....

10 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Sometimes, circumstances thrust opportunities upon you...like when Sanchez got hurt in the Snoopy Bowl and Geno became the starter...sometimes you try to plan, plan, plan, and things don't work out.  Geno ended up starting for 2 years and regressed throughout, or at least made no progress IMO.  He looks no more he wiser 1+ years later.  Losers stick with the suboptimal because it's perceived to be 'safer'.

How do you know what Petty's record would have been if placed in Geno's shoes?  But even not considering that, if you know Geno isn't the long term answer at QB for the Jets, and Petty has shown some progress,what again is the point of Geno?  Some people, hard to imagine, actually show progress when placed in positions that may not be considered ready for...but most of the people who have documented over time that they have underachieved do not.

You want to stick with the underwhelming Geno who's a goner after this season?  You're entitled to your opinion, and I cannot prove to you that is wrong  Guess we differ there.

I'm old enough to say I remember the vicious hit Lewis put on Bledsoe that spawned Brady...and NO ONE knew WTF Brady had done 'against the 1's' before that...yet he's here still today.

Just saying' when you know someone's not the answer, just move on.

so I'm a loser because I think geno is more game ready than petty  is ?

this is why I stay out of the QB threads, lol

New #Jets uniform numbers:

Braedon Bowman            84

Brian Parker                     85

Myles White                     10

Victor Ochi                        49

Troymaine Pope               32

Darryl Roberts                  2619 minutes ago: Troymaine Pope ➡️ 32 Darryl Roberts ➡️ 26

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Well, since you have no input as to whether Geno stays or goes, I wasn't referring to you in particular but the team lol.  Sorry for any offense, was not my objective.

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Well, since you have no input as to whether Geno stays or goes, I wasn't referring to you in particular but the team lol.  Sorry for any offense, was not my objective.

so macc, bowles, gailey are the losers ?

I have no idea what they are thinking, the could cut geno as soon as petty is healthy or they could deactivate petty 16 times, we just don't know

all I'm saying is geno's real game performance is about equal to pettys pre-season performance, so lets not get carried away with petty is better....

for the record, I would be thrilled if petty proves me wrong or hack.  if hack turns into a franchise QB I will be the first to start the thread that I am the idiot, lol

Sorry, but I look at the roster and I am not excited about this year. Maybe next year, but this years doesn't look promising. First of all, there are a lot of rookies, youngsters, and unknowns. That may bode well for next year, but these players tend to start slow and the first part of the schedule is the most difficult. I cannot see how we are a win now team.

QBs (4) - this is a waste. I understand that Petty and/or Hack may be the future; Fitz is now - this leaves Geno odd man out. Some teams have Vets for starters; others have rookies starting with Vets as backup - why do we need both? After looking at the roster, not sure we are win now; pretty sure we are not if Fitz goes down.

TE (4) - we have 4 spots wasted on crap. I was okay releasing Amaro, but why hold 4 spots for these guys?

RB - we released Bohannon, but why keep a FB at all? You look at our TEs and FB, and OL and you know we are no longer a power rushing team; accept it and move on

OL - just sad

DL - great

S - good/okay

CB - Revis is #1, Skrine really slot, who is #2; we have no quality depth; an injury will kill us.

ILB - not a lot of experience except for Harris

OLB - not a lot of quality/experience.

WRs - great (much improved).

I realize that the GM takes time to build and that we want to win as many games as possible, but we don't appear to be a win-now team especially if we loose OL, CB, or Fitz. If that is the case, couldn't Mac have taken more risks? Why not forget about FB, drop to 2 TEs? Maybe cut Breno (we are thin at OL, but he can't help us until week 7/8 and he has a huge salary cap. With this team, Fitz going down is going to end us, should have moved on from Geno.

I wouldn't expect a GM to take all of these risks, but he could have taken 1 or 2 more. It appears he is more worried about this year then next, and I just don't see the talent on this team for this year. I hope I am wrong, and I think watching some of these young guys learn and play will be exciting, I just am not expected a lot of wins. Again, I hope I am wrong.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Well if every one of your QB posts calls for Hackenberg to be cut right now, probably. 

57 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

We traded pick #4 next year for a 5th that we didn't have this year then used that pick to draft him. That's one pick. We picked him in the 4th round next year. 

Depends on your perception. It's still more than one pick because a 4th is worth more than a 5th. Either way, they weren't cutting him. That's the point. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Depends on your perception. It's still more than one pick because a 4th is worth more than a 5th. Either way, they weren't cutting him. That's the point. 

Huh? More than 1 pick my arse. 

And the common trade value is pick this yr requires 1 round higher next yr since you are getting 1 yr out of the guy. 

37 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Huh? More than 1 pick my arse. 

And the common trade value is pick this yr requires 1 round higher next yr since you are getting 1 yr out of the guy. 

So if they had a 5th this year and wanted to move up in the 5th to guarantee they get their guy, it would have been an even swap? Come on now. 

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So if they had a 5th this year and wanted to move up in the 5th to guarantee they get their guy, it would have been an even swap? Come on now. 

Sorry. I'm not following. They didn't give up two picks. And it's common when you obtain 1 pick in the current draft yr you give up a higher round pick the next yr. 

16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Sorry. I'm not following. They didn't give up two picks. And it's common when you obtain 1 pick in the current draft yr you give up a higher round pick the next yr. 

If the Jets had pick 100 but wanted to move to 90, would it have taken more than one pick to get there? I'm not sure how to simplify it any further. They gave up enough to warrant this player more than one preseason. He wasn't getting cut. 

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If the Jets had pick 100 but wanted to move to 90, would it have taken more than one pick to get there? I'm not sure how to simplify it any further. They gave up enough to warrant this player more than one preseason. He wasn't getting cut. 

You're talking about the same draft. 

Why would I give up my 5th this year for a 5th next yr? What's in it for me? You get the player for a year and I get nothing and wait for a 5th next yr? 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

You're talking about the same draft. 

Why would I give up my 5th this year for a 5th next yr? What's in it for me? You get the player for a year and I get nothing and wait for a 5th next yr? 

Right, so basically a pick next year is worth two this year. Do you get it yet?

Archived