Ryan Fitzpatrick and Alex Smith

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith is the type of QB you want if you are playing a bad team. He's not going to make any stupid mistakes. The problem is he doesn't like taking chances down the field at all. He's a check down king. They had a great comeback win week 1 against SD but I don't trust him to come from behind and win games.

Fitz is prone to make more mistakes but he's not afraid to take chances which I feel is essential for a good QB. The problem is his arm strength is limited so he'll get burned.

Smith is better but I'm not a fan.

Fitz is the best 'bad QB' and Smith is the worst 'good QB'. 

Smith was drafted #1 overall. He has led his team to the playoffs and has had solid, steady seasons throughout his career (even though he never REALLY lived up to the #! overall pick selection). Especially after the 2010 season when he started cutting down on his INTs. So he is, for all intensive purposes a 'good QB'. But he is one of the worst good QBs because you can never put the game on his shoulder and ask him to win it for you , he is not a major impact QB, rather a game manager that doesn't take many chances and relies on a good defense, a running game and short passing game.

Fitz was drafted in the 7th round. Expectations were never very high. He never really did much until the 2010 season in Buffalo when he threw for 23 TDs and 3,000 yards. But even then he threw 15 INTs. Throughout his time in Buffalo, he threw for a lot of yards, over 20 TDs each season but also threw a ton of INTs. His seasons in Texas and Tenn were not very memorable. I don't think he was ever considered a 'good QB'. It wasn't until he came to the Jets and threw for 31 TDs and 3,905 yrds that people took notice. Even then, his compl. % was under 60 and he threw 15 INTs. He truly is a one of the best 'bad QBs'.   

Either guy, with a good team around him, can be very successful and even take you to the promised land- IMO. 

Alex Smith is a franchise quarterback. Not because we think so, but because the team he plays for treats him as such. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best bridge quarterback in the league. 

Alex Smith is a probowl quarterback, a top 100 player, a division winner and has played very well in the playoffs. 

Its not really a debate if we're talking about this Smith. 

Alex Smith is a franchise quarterback. Not because we think so, but because the team he plays for treats him as such. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best bridge quarterback in the league. 

Alex Smith is a probowl quarterback, a top 100 player, a division winner and has played very well in the playoffs. 

Its not really a debate if we're talking about this Smith. 

That's a good post.

You are 100% correct.

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Man, what Chad could have been if not for that rotator cuff. 

it's our curse, we finally had a franchise QB and of course he couldn't stay healthy.  we also had a dynamic young pass rusher who couldn't stay healthy too.  Some day it will all come together for us.

23 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He also has played for the Jets, and that winning percentage has not gone up.

He's started 18 games for the Jets. The Jets won 11 of the 18. Then there was the Raiders game when he got injured. He got officially stuck with that L but when he left that game tie score. Then we lost to Cincy by one point when the PK missed 2 easy kicks including a point after. So if you wanted to push the envelope he basically has an 11-5 record unofficially. And in every start with the Jets except for Oakland he kept the team in the game and put them in a position to win. That's not too shabby plus at Houston he was 6-6 in starts coming off of a 2 win season. So I'll take him on my team any day. 

He's started 18 games for the Jets. The Jets won 11 of the 18.

He beat one winning team, the Pats JV squad in week 16 last year.

If Fitz was as good as you say, don't you think he would have pulled out a win in week 1 versus the Bengals?

You have an 11 year history with a journeyman QB who has never sniffed the playoffs.

How can you possibly defend his 7-34 record against winning teams???????

Other than your love for Fitz (I swear you are related), I think you are a very good poster on the board.

Archived