Since 1999...

win4ever

Since 1999, No QB in the league has thrown 9 interceptions total in back to back games.  It's not added to the Play Index on Pro-Football Reference yet, but it should be soon with Ryan Fitzpatrick.   

There are QBs that have thrown 9 or more in 3 games, but in two games, we stand alone.  

I went out of my way to praise Fitz after the Bills game, but these last two games were historically bad.  For a "game manager" he sure has a ton of interceptions.  

I tried to go further back, but Pro-Football Reference seems to cap these from 1999, so I can't go any further.   

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I literally pointed this out on another thread people attacked me saying I was saying it was ALL on Fitz!!

No its not all on Fitz but 9 INTs is a disgrace and I too said Fitz was SPECTACULAR in the Bills game!!!

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!

But don't be Stevie Wonder out here!!

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Yeah, the  so-called "fitz haters" were effusive in our praise. We just said, do it against someone good. Well...he hasn't. He's been historically bad.

I prefer to look on the bright side. He's been historically good at being historically bad

41 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Since 1999, No QB in the league has thrown 9 interceptions total in back to back games.  It's not added to the Play Index on Pro-Football Reference yet, but it should be soon with Ryan Fitzpatrick.   

There are QBs that have thrown 9 or more in 3 games, but in two games, we stand alone.  

I went out of my way to praise Fitz after the Bills game, but these last two games were historically bad.  For a "game manager" he sure has a ton of interceptions.  

I tried to go further back, but Pro-Football Reference seems to cap these from 1999, so I can't go any further.   

Funny things happen to quarterbacks who try to work a miracle in a game they are trailing late.  They force the ball trying to make big plays against 6 DB's and interceptions happen. 

Fitzpatrick isn't in a position to throw high risk passes if our defense plays up to their potential. We don't have a 33 year old defense, they are young and supposedly Top 5.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Funny things happen to quarterbacks who try to work a miracle in a game they are trailing late.  They force the ball trying to make big plays against 6 DB's and interceptions happen. 

Fitzpatrick isn't in a position to throw high risk passes if our defense plays up to their potential. We don't have a 33 year old defense, they are young and supposedly Top 5.

SAR I

But Geno will be better...... sarc.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

When I literally pointed this out on another thread people attacked me saying I was saying it was ALL on Fitz!!

No its not all on Fitz but 9 INTs is a disgrace and I too said Fitz was SPECTACULAR in the Bills game!!!

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!

The 9 interceptions aren't all on Fitz, the Anderson one today wasn't on him.  But if people are going to discount those as non-fault interceptions, there are about 8 more passes that should have been intercepted that you have to substitute with.  

5 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Yeah, the  so-called "fitz haters" were effusive in our praise. We just said, do it against someone good. Well...he hasn't. He's been historically bad.

I was definitely surprised with the Bills game to be honest.  He looked absolutely on point in that game, and sans a few bad throws, legitimately played like a stud.  But that's been the exception so far.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

No biggie.  Just a couple of bad days at the office.  He'll get them next time. 

Lol, it certainly appears like he'll be running out there.  

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I prefer to look on the bright side. He's been historically good at being historically bad

His completion percentage to the opposing team is over 60%, if only their secondary had better hands!

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is to be Fitz-pected.  He has one good year and gets a nice contract.  Then it's back to Fitz-tragic.  Very Fitz-typical.

You could see this coming from a mile away.   

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Our offense scored 10 points today (unless the fumble recovery TD counts), and they had multiple interception possibilities missed.  He wouldn't need to work a miracle, if he actually played better.  

10 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Our offense scored 10 points today (unless the fumble recovery TD counts), and they had multiple interception possibilities missed.  He wouldn't need to work a miracle, if he actually played better.  

I'm not saying he played well. I am saying that 2 of the 3 INT's were either not his fault of not germane to the outcome. 

He isn't capable of playing better. It's why he's classified as a journeyman on his 6th team. These aren't built-in excuses for Ryan Fitzpatrick; these are built-in realities. 

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I'm not saying he played well. I am saying that 2 of the 3 INT's were either not his fault of not germane to the outcome. 

He isn't capable of playing better. It's why he's classified as a journeyman on his 6th team. These aren't built-in excuses for Ryan Fitzpatrick; these are built-in realities. 

SAR I

So if you aren't counting 2 of those as not his fault, how about the 3 others that should have been intercepted?  What about those?

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ooh - is Joe Germaine available off the scrap heap?

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

To be fair he is a game manager not a game winner. He clearly is not the QB you want to be playing catch-up with. A few of those interceptions were on the Receivers and a few are on Bowles for not doing what pretty much any other coach would have done and pulled Fitz after it was clear that Fitz was not having a good game against the Cheifs.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I agree with much of what you post but not here. FITZ is bad.  5 teams have showed him the door.  No team had interest in him. 

If I might..... you defended Sanchez til the end.  FITZ and Sanchez are about the same. 

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

To be fair he is a game manager not a game winner. He clearly is not the QB you want to be playing catch-up with. A few of those interceptions were on the Receivers and a few are on Bowles for not doing what pretty much any other coach would have done and pulled Fitz after it was clear that Fitz was not having a good game against the Cheifs.

I don't get how he's a game manager to be honest.  To me at least, a game manager takes what's there, avoids mistakes.  Essentially, he doesn't win you games, but he doesn't lose you games either.  These are Fitz's interception percentage rankings in accordance with other QBs

2015:  28th

2014:  18th

2013:  27th

2012:  27th

2011:  30th

2010:  23rd

2009:  30th

For a guy that isn't really talented enough to put a team over the top, he seems to love to dwell in the bottom half for interceptions. 

I see him more of a gunslinger without the proper arm.  He takes chances forcing the ball and it backfires on him at times and it also gives WRs a chance to make plays, which is why they love him.  

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

SPECTACULAR!!!!!!!!!

They're all on Fitz. Just because some were tipped doesn't excuse him. Why? What about those that were dropped? Shouldn't they count then if some of these don't? Even today there was an easy pick 6 opportunity that was dropped. He had at least 4 dropped ints last week...on top of the 6 ints. Ain't that something? Tipped ints are part of the stats just like how a screen pass is taken to the house for 50 yards. 

6 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

They were all on Fitz, and then some. At least 4 dropped ints. I guess they don't count since they didn't happen. It just doesn't excuse him. The ones that did happen, are all on him simply because of the ones that didn't happen. He played like sh*t, threw like sh*t, and gets paid like a decent QB. 

That franchise TD record tho! And now the int record too I guess. 

Fitz can't be a game manager when the team is constantly playing from behind. Yesterday was not on him.

I don't care about the last pick. He's trying to force a slant to Marshall to hit a big play late to give them whatever slight chance they had left. That's what I want him to be doing in those spots. It's better than a 2 yard check down. The other pick was a drop by Robbie Anderson. Wasn't his fault at all.

Our secondary just doesn't have much talent. Our QB isn't good enough to carry us. I blame our team having a fatal flaw in it's secondary for hurting us all season. They have to many breakdowns in coverage. That's on the players. Pryor stinks, Gilchrist is average, Skrine is a slot corner, Marcus Williams is a dime corner. They don't have any talent back there. That's a problem in a passing league.

The O-Line also killed multiple drives with terrible penalties. Against a top team with a top QB you can't do that. Winters late hit was especially troubling.

56 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

itz can't be a game manager when the team is constantly playing from behind. Yesterday was not on him.

So, the Jets defense and special teams has to give him a lead for him to "manage" the game?!

These Fitz guys, they make so many BAD excuses for him that they would NEVER tolerate from any other QB.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

So, the Jets defense and special teams has to give him a lead for him to "manage" the game?!

These Fitz guys, they make so many BAD excuses for him that they would NEVER tolerate from any other QB.

I'm not a Fitz guy. So you're wrong there. Fitz went up against a top D yesterday. He played well for what he was going up against. The Jets O-Line had some terrible drive killing penalties. Is it to much to ask for Brian Winters not to get flagged with a 15 yard personal foul after the play?

I just know what Fitz is. And I see a lot of other big problems on this team. Fitz is here for 1 year. He's something the Jets can easily move on from. But the Jets need

1. To revamp the O-Line. They've needed to do this for a good while.

2. Revamp the secondary. Figure out what to do with Revis. He can still play, but he isn't the player he once was. He shouldn't be viewed as an elite CB anymore. Meaning he needs more help back there. Get another CB who can play at a high level.

3. Find a long term answer at QB. That's been a problem for such a long time.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm not a Fitz guy. So you're wrong there. Fitz went up against a top D yesterday. He played well for what he was going up against. The Jets O-Line had some terrible drive killing penalties. Is it to much to ask for Brian Winters not to get flagged with a 15 yard personal foul after the play?

I just know what Fitz is. And I see a lot of other big problems on this team. Fitz is here for 1 year. He's something the Jets can easily move on from. But the Jets need

1. To revamp the O-Line. They've needed to do this for a good while.

2. Revamp the secondary. Figure out what to do with Revis. He can still play, but he isn't the player he once was. He shouldn't be viewed as an elite CB anymore. Meaning he needs more help back there. Get another CB who can play at a high level.

Being a QB is more than the absolute value of the stats. Fitzpatrick had the opportunity to put SEVEN points on the board to begin the game. Did he do that? NO. Now, some are saying "well, it was Seattle he was going against..." But he did that against EVERY team. He's great between the 20s. But mostly always sputters in the red zone, if not turning the ball over down there. He's really just plain BAD. 1 TD and NINE INTs?! And people continually find reasons that "it's not his fault..." BULLsh*t. That's what you pay a starter to do: lead!! make players better, take the blame. So, to me, Fitzpatrick is not the absolute value of 1 TD and NINE INTs, he's actually worse.

The OL actually has played decently. THEY aren't throwing picks in the red zone. And Fitz has been sacked among the least number of times in the NFL. So, given that two of five players are new, the argument that they haven't addressed the issues at all seems like a bunch of Fitz excuse making.

I can't rebut the secondary argument or defense in general. I can say that, to me, it makes no sense to try and maximize DL to the detriment of the rest of the defense. The fact is, the DL really isn't doing a whole lot with Richardson playing OLB or in a 4-3. They are sacrificing speed at the second level AND not really maximizing impact from the DL unit. is it a coincidence that when they just played a 3-4, against Cincy, they had UNREAL pressure and since then, with Richardson playing a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB that they've had virtually NO impact? I don't think so.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I have been anti Fitz but yesterday was not b/c of Fitz and one INT was not his fault while the last one was in total garbage time.  We lost b/c of our incredibly talent, incredibly underachieving defense led by our terrible HC.

Our defense definitely laid an egg, I have no problem saying that.  But our offense sucked too, and Fitz was the biggest reason for it.

It was a terrible matchup for him, and he's lucky that it was only 3 picks.  I see people complaining about Gailey today, but from what I expected, he couldn't do much more.  The Seattle defense thrives on forcing everything underneath and then tackling in space.  They have their corners look back, have their safeties  aggressive.  The best way to beat them is a strong arm that can beat people down the field.  It throws them off their game because they can't be as aggressive because they risk throws over them.  It was the biggest reason why someone like Kapernick had success against them.  Fitz can't do that.  During the game, there were opportunities where our WRs got by their corners and we couldn't hit them.  If they don't respect the deep pass, they'll be aggressive on the short stuff and we paid for it.

Gailey had to gameplan for his QB, and that limited them to short throws and hope for YAC.

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Fitz can't be a game manager when the team is constantly playing from behind. Yesterday was not on him.

I don't care about the last pick. He's trying to force a slant to Marshall to hit a big play late to give them whatever slight chance they had left. That's what I want him to be doing in those spots. It's better than a 2 yard check down. The other pick was a drop by Robbie Anderson. Wasn't his fault at all.

Our secondary just doesn't have much talent. Our QB isn't good enough to carry us. I blame our team having a fatal flaw in it's secondary for hurting us all season. They have to many breakdowns in coverage. That's on the players. Pryor stinks, Gilchrist is average, Skrine is a slot corner, Marcus Williams is a dime corner. They don't have any talent back there. That's a problem in a passing league.

The O-Line also killed multiple drives with terrible penalties. Against a top team with a top QB you can't do that. Winters late hit was especially troubling.

Why is he the QB then?  Why did we pay him $12 million when he's a situational game manager?

If we give him the lead and a good defense, he'll do what?  Hand the ball off and throw screen passes and short slants to not screw it up?  As soon as he needs to play well against a good defense, he's not the guy?

I don't hate Fitz, my whole argument this off season was Geno + 12 million is better than Fitz + Geno.  The "upgrade" wasn't worth it.  Now we have a useless Fitz that cost us money this year and 5 million in dead money next year on the cap.

11 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Our defense definitely laid an egg, I have no problem saying that.  But our offense sucked too, and Fitz was the biggest reason for it.

It was a terrible matchup for him, and he's lucky that it was only 3 picks.  I see people complaining about Gailey today, but from what I expected, he couldn't do much more.  The Seattle defense thrives on forcing everything underneath and then tackling in space.  They have their corners look back, have their safeties  aggressive.  The best way to beat them is a strong arm that can beat people down the field.  It throws them off their game because they can't be as aggressive because they risk throws over them.  It was the biggest reason why someone like Kapernick had success against them.  Fitz can't do that.  During the game, there were opportunities where our WRs got by their corners and we couldn't hit them.  If they don't respect the deep pass, they'll be aggressive on the short stuff and we paid for it.

Gailey had to gameplan for his QB, and that limited them to short throws and hope for YAC.

we couldn't run, we were one dimensional and w/o our 2nd best WR.  I can't blame Fitz for this one.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks to the OP.  Anyone know how INTs thrown by Sanchez, Geno and Fitz stack up against other teams for the same time period? It just seems like we have been saddled with QBs who throw a staggering number of picks.

We're dumb when it comes to team construction.

Sanchez was a bottom tier QB if you put a good team around him with talent.  So we decided to take away the talent, fell on our faces.

They realized their mistake a bit late, and drafted Geno.  A spread QB in a WCO, with depleted talent around him.

We finally hired a spread OC to match our starting QB with talent, then we have IK ruin it.  Fitz thrived on playing bad teams with good talent around him.

Then we made the same mistake as Sanchez, buying into success from a talented offense and thinking the QB was the reason behind it.

Maybe next year or the year after, we'll draft another QB.  By then Marshall/Decker would be in decline and we'll complain why the QB sucks.

Then Bowles/Gailey will be fired because it wasn't working, and we'll hire a ground and pound coach like Les Miles because the spread didn't work for us.  Since, there aren't any QBs in college running ground and pound successfully, we'll face another adjustment.

The cycle just goes on.

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

We know Fitz isn't the answer, so why not give Geno or Petty or Hackenberg a shot?

We'll be facing tough defenses this year, so why not put them against these defenses and see where they go?

15 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we couldn't run, we were one dimensional and w/o our 2nd best WR.  I can't blame Fitz for this one.

We can't run because the teams aren't afraid of us vertically.  

If you look at our film breakdowns, just notice how often a defense is in single high safety against us.  I write it so much, I looked into other terms for it because I felt like I was repeating the same thing over and over again.

Against a good armed QB, most teams go with 2 safeties, especially a team with dynamic receivers.  

If our QB needs a lead, good running game, stout defense, and two dynamic receivers, and face mediocre to bad defenses to thrive, then he's not a starter.

Archived