Costello on beningo and Roberts

tkiss24

Joe mentioned that Costello told him that Bowles is less hands on with the offense than Rex was. Costello said handbag is all chan, with Bowles not even chiming in on run or pass decisions. To me this is the worst part of all. Your a head coach. I hated Rex for spending time talking to defensive lineman while the offense operated poorly. As the head coach you need to be overseeing everything and not spending all your time with one side of the ball (it's even worse when you consider how bad things defense has been).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Joe mentioned that Costello told him that Bowles is less hands on with the offense than Rex was. Costello said handbag is all chan, with Bowles not even chiming in on run or pass decisions. To me this is the worst part of all. Your a head coach. I hated Rex for spending time talking to defensive lineman while the offense operated poorly. As the head coach you need to be overseeing everything and not spending all your time with one side of the ball (it's even worse when you consider how bad things defense has been).

ouch, didnt know that was possible...

Bowles outright admitted last season that he and Fitzpatrick never talked during game weeks.  It makes his man crush all the more bizarre.  

Only thing that kind of makes sense is if Bowles secretly took the D's side in the whole Geno IK fiasco.  Maybe this is his passive aggressive way of siding with "his guys".

The more I think about it the clearer it becomes.  Get this guy outta here.

9 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

What makes that even worse is that he's spending most of his time with the "D" & that's been terrible.  :/

13 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

Oh you must have missed the article last year where Fitz said that he doest talk to Todd Bowles at all during the week.  Like, they dont speak AT ALL throughout the week and the only interaction Todd has with the offense is he reviews Chan's game plan every week, gives it a green light (as if he had a red) and that's it. 

100% dedicated to D for this Head Coach.  And what a mighty D he has formed. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gotta assume Chan was the guy who disliked Kerley then. I heard the interview...Costello basically reiterated the Jets run their gameplan regardless of opponent. 

attacking an opponents weakness is over rated imo

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gotta assume Chan was the guy who disliked Kerley then. I heard the interview...Costello basically reiterated the Jets run their gameplan regardless of opponent. 

It's so freaking obvious.  Its the same reason they refuse to adjust in game to anything going on around them.  Just yell at the execution because the game plan is flawless!

Bowles said last year that they're opponents dont dictate their game plan.

I mean, wtf???  

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

Bowles outright admitted last season that he and Fitzpatrick never talked during game weeks.  It makes his man crush all the more bizarre.  

Only thing that kind of makes sense is if Bowles secretly took the D's side in the whole Geno IK fiasco.  Maybe this is his passive aggressive way of siding with "his guys".

So true.  Never actually thought about that aspect of this weird Bowles>Fitz>Gailey love triangle. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's so freaking obvious.  Its the same reason they refuse to adjust in game to anything going on around them.  Just yell at the execution because the game plan is flawless!

I mean, wtf???  

People always seem to confuse conservative coach with ignorant coach. Bowles is basically an anti-innovative boob. I hate to revert everything back to New England, but successful teams looks to exploit weaknesses, rules etc. We do neither. We cant even get the coach to go for friggin 2 to go up 14 points.

26 minutes ago, tkiss24 said:

The only time Bowles gets involved with the offense is when he's instructing them to get off the field at their own 46 yard-ine on a 4th and 2 when they're down by 11 with 7 minutes and 32 seconds left.

17 minutes ago, Pac said:

******* Woody... he hired Rex all over again, without the egg-in-the-face soundbytes.

I hate to say it, but Rex would get more out of this defense too.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Gailey has always preferred bigger WRs, which is why I'm guessing he never found any use for someone like Kerley. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

People always seem to confuse conservative coach with ignorant coach. Bowles is basically an anti-innovated boob. I hate to revert everything back to New England, but successful teams looks to exploit weaknesses, rules etc. We do neither. We cant even get the coach to go for friggin 2 to go up 14 points.

Or to go for it on 4th and 2 at mid field down 14 points with 7 minutes left.

I said it before, Bowles game plan is literally....lace them up, line up and beat the man in front of you.  That doesnt work in the NFL.  This isnt college.  The guys on the other side of the field are just as good if not better than your team.  You have to adjust game plans based on your opponent in this league.  It's literally what the NFL is all about...exploit your opponents weakness.  **** sake, just look at how teams defend the Jets and how they attack the Offense.  

It's mind boggling how you can be this stupid.  Just out right stupid. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I mean, wtf???  

There's got to be a happy medium. Everyone admonished Mangini for bringing the Belichick, we-change-our-gameplan-every-week philosophy here as it wound up being too complicated, but you also cannot have this stubbornness of never adjusting your gameplan. There has to be a base that everyone's comfortable with, but the flexibility to adjust in-game.  Watching Sheldon, who could be one of the most talented interior lineman in the league, play OLB is just f*cking pathetic. That dude could go to 27 teams and be their best interior lineman, but our defensive genius is using him as a 300lb OLB dropping back into coverage.  

Look  I've never been a big fan of Gailey's play calling but for the most part I shut up about it when things started working last season. I didn't like him going frequently to unproven players like Devon Smith in important situations, didn't love not using Kerley or Cumberland and esp hated going long when he needed just a yard or two to continue a drive. Maybe to sign Gailey they had to give him a carte blanche but if we fire anybody he'd be on my list but not now only after the season. I was surprised Marc Trestman got fired yesterday esp by an org like the Ravens who doesn't usually act impetuously. 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I mean, wtf???  

Well he probably thinks that since it worked for him last year, he would do the same thing. Why fix what isn't broken

Just now, JiF said:

Or to go for it on 4th and 2 at mid field down 14 points with 7 minutes left.

I said it before Bowles game plan is literally....lace them up, line up and beat the man in front of you.  That doesnt work in the NFL.  This isnt college.  The guys on the other side of the field are just as good if not better than your team.  You have to adjust game plans based on your opponent in this league.  It's literally what the NFL is all about...exploit your opponents weakness.  **** sake, just look at how teams defend the Jets and how they attack the Offense.  

It's mind boggling how you can be this stupid.  Just out right stupid. 

It's the cycle of bad teams in this league. Promote coordinator---->fire coordinator and then do it again expecting a different result. What the **** goes on in these interviews anyway? 

The Jets at some point have to put someone firmly in charge of the entire operation...whether it be a HC who's been a HC or President of Football Ops and cut out this halfway bullsh*t. Bowles with the plausible deniability when it comes to the offense or punting when it's basically mathematically impossible to win the game once you do it....enough. Fire his ass.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

People always seem to confuse conservative coach with ignorant coach. Bowles is basically an anti-innovative boob. I hate to revert everything back to New England, but successful teams looks to exploit weaknesses, rules etc. We do neither. We cant even get the coach to go for friggin 2 to go up 14 points.

This is probably the biggest blunder I've seen from Bowles yet, and one that has gone largely unnoticed since we won the game. 100/100 coaches would have made the move to go for two to put your team up by two touchdowns, but it somehow slips Todd Bowles' mind? 10 year old children playing Madden are able to grasp this concept with ease, and our former NFL playing and current head coach wasn't able to figure it out.

That is incredibly embarrassing, sad, and scary. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Well he probably thinks that since it worked for him last year, he would do the same thing. Why fix what isn't broken

It worked against bottom feeder teams you are failing to fully understand what football is all about. What worked last year might not work this year so you adjust you adjust during a game you dont continue to run the same defense or run the same damn plays when they arent working. A decent head coach overcomes obstacles and isn't so damn pig headed and stupid to continually saying the same damn thing over and over again. 

I'm not saying we need to be "game plan specific" but how about some adjustments. How bout we play the Seahawks and they tailor they're game plan to a hobbled Russel Wilson. When was the last time under Bubba Gump that we gameplaned a victory? Every win is a result of a tremendous individual effort by players and nothing to do with coaching on either side of the ball

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

This is probably the biggest blunder I've seen from Bowles yet, and one that has gone largely unnoticed since we won the game. 100/100 coaches would have made the move to go for two to put your team up by two touchdowns, but it somehow slips Todd Bowles' mind? 10 year old children playing Madden are able to grasp this concept with ease, and our former NFL playing and current head coach wasn't able to figure it out.

That is incredibly embarrassing, sad, and scary. 

He had some ridiculous excuse on top of it too, which wasn't all that believable. Bowles is by the book to the point he doesnt even realize he's being an idiot.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

It worked against bottom feeder teams you are failing to fully understand what football is all about. What worked last year might not work this year so you adjust you adjust during a game you dont continue to run the same defense or run the same damn plays when they arent working. A decent head coach overcomes obstacles and isn't so damn pig headed and stupid to continually saying the same damn thing over and over again. 

You're missing the point.

i'm gettIng into his head. This is his thought process. It worked last year, and late in the year, so teams should have adjusted by then. So he probably believes the scheme is hard to defend if executed properly

Archived