Why isn't Petty starting?

j4jets

5 minutes ago, j4jets said:

As if no one is screaming as is. 

And how Geno plays is absolutely on this regime. Its not like they couldn't release him. They opted to keep him, so him sucking is totally on the current regime.

And I agree, they'll play Petty when he's up to speed. NFL speed, that is. 

Agreed about Geno to a point. But Geno going out and failing at this juncture isn't as much of a blow to them as Petty doing so. Petty will be here in 2017 in some capacity. He's the first QB Mac drafted. They want to give him an ideal situation to walk into.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, j4jets said:

And how Geno plays is absolutely on this regime. Its not like they couldn't release him. They opted to keep him, so him sucking is totally on the current regime.

Glad to see we're coming out of the gate with excuses for bad performance that hasn't even happened yet.

Makes sense.

4 hours ago, j4jets said:

Geno came into the league and was supposed to be red-shirted his rookie year, until Snatchez got hurt in the last preseason game. Geno was then thrust into the starting lineup, unprepared, and unsupported by the talent around him. Still wins 8 games despite his expected poor play. He was never ready his rookie year. 

Next year, he has a bad start with Decker as his #1, albeit the hammy issue, and Hills as his #2. Pretty talented group of WRs there for a QB not named any of the elite QBs.  Get Harvin after his benching essentially and finishes the season strong. Very strong. Don't care who the opponent was, he posted a perfect rating while Decker had a career game. 

Then IK happened and Geno gets to play one game without any reps with the starters. Does ok. Now this year, he is brought into the last game, again without any reps with the first in a situation guaranteed to fail, thanks to Fitz (although this thread is not about Fitz). 

People on here want Petty to start but they think the Jets brass is using Geno as bridge for Petty to start because Perty needs practice before he can start. Yeah, cool story, bro. 

This is the NFL. If Jets CS thought Petty was ready to take over, he would have already. He clearly isn't. Hasn't played a snap against an NFL defender. Couldn't beat out Geno in camp and people think throwing a couple of TDs against non-NFL defenders is equivalent to some sort of competition victory. 

Petty wasn't IR'd cuz Jets CS didn't want Hack to take a snap this year. Petty was to be the backup to two QBs that play a rather physical style of football for a QB. If Jets are say 2-8, Petty probably still won't play cuz if he does, there's a good chance we end the season as 3-13 or at best 4-12. At that point, I don't think Bowles position is safe. So Bowles has to try and win at least 6 games to be safe. 2-14 and he's fired. 4-12 and its 50/50. 6-10 and he survives a year. 

That's why Petty isn't playing. Giving him reps, and getting up to speed after two off seasons and an entire year isn't on the Jets CS' agenda. If Geno bombs, then Petty can't do much worse anyways. 

If "throwing a couple of TD's" as you put it was soooo easy, why couldn't Geno do it?

The Miami game geno played last game, of season, dolphins packed it in, petty outplayed geno preseason & got hurt! Dream if you want. All the experts are wrong! Geno has 23 Td's 34 ints in his career. If petty after throwing 43 td then getting crushed & out of game, saved geno roster spot. When petty gets reps he'll be starter! Let's see what u post after the bum qb geno plays like sh*t Sunday, jets are going to run mostly see he can't, throw more ints

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, j4jets said:

What? What you quoted wasn't even an excuse. 

You said if Geno plays poorly it's on the regime because they kept him. 

You're setting up blaming away Geno's bad play on Mac/Bowles. When Geno plays poorly you're going to swoop in and say it's on the team because they kept him. 

Of course, every good throw Geno makes you'll forget to give Mac/Bowles credit for keeping him on the roster.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Alot of hot air, projection and presumption.

TLDR:  

Geno Smith is our starting QB now.  Staying our starter is 100% on him. 

If he plays well, he'll keep starting.  If he doesn't, he won't.

No excuses, same as for Fitz.  No whining about the Defense.  No whining about drops.  No whining about the Running Game.

Rise or fall, it's on Geno.

Petty is irrelevant, unless Geno makes him relevant.

So get to work Geno.

Why would you take the time to blast a post that you say you didn't read? That makes sense.

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

You said if Geno plays poorly it's on the regime because they kept him. 

You're setting up blaming away Geno's bad play on Mac/Bowles. When Geno plays poorly you're going to swoop in and say it's on the team because they kept him. 

Of course, every good throw Geno makes you'll forget to give Mac/Bowles credit for keeping him on the roster.

The other poster said Petty was on Mac because Mac drafted him. I said Geno playing poorly is also on Mac, just like any players' performance, because Geno is a guy Mac decided to keep for two years. 

Now, would you please elaborate on the "excuses' part?

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

The other poster said Petty was on Mac because Mac drafted him. I said Geno playing poorly is also on Mac, just like any players' performance, because Geno is a guy Mac decided to keep for two years. 

Now, would you please elaborate on the "excuses' part?

i18WuBZBAn9Oo.gif

Fact is, Fitz, for whom the offense was designed due to his limited physical tools, has not even been able to get the ball to those spots on the field that he can reach.  Geno has impressive physical tools, but does not show a flair for football.  I think a lot of coaches are tempted by the tools, and in their desperation are willing to hope that the light finally comes on for the football stuff.   I agree. I think TB is hoping for 7 wins this year at this point.  If Geno loses some winnable games (Are there winnable games?  Based on our performance?) in the next few weeks he will go to Petty.  If Geno gets hurt tomorrow he goes back to Fitz.  He is still holding out for a measure of respectability, and hopes that Geno will be better than Fitz has been.  That is not a high bar, even for Geno.

What everyone needs to understand there are plenty of qb's who can run & have cannon for arms! If you have no pocket presence, leadership qualities! & if you lock onto one receiver like Fitz & you know who? Defenses will be ready. I also think Chan Gailey is horrible as offensive coordinator! With that said geno comes in completes a few short easy throws, cards tighten coverage. He fumbles then throws int. He couldn't even come into game & get the Jets at least a field goal. But it's the receivers fault for int, offensive lines fault for fumble. It's all the jet players fault, but not poor geno. Also jets tried to trade geno no team wanted him! So, if jets win its because of geno! If jets lose its on all the Jets except geno. Jets jets jets

15 hours ago, j4jets said:

I think you may have worded this wrong???

19 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

You answered your own question.

If Bowles thought either Geno or Petty were ready, then there would not have been a need to bring back Fitz to start or draft Hackenberg to be compete or be a back-up next year.

In all honesty, I put no weight as to what Bowles thinks about anyone. We have found out plenty about him this year and we can safely assume that he is no HC material. Starting Geno is futile. Let's say he wins a few games now, so what? Geno's decision making is what it is. Wasting games on him means just giving away another season for NOTHING. We need to see if Petty has anything to offer either as a starter or a backup. If not, we know what we need either via draft or trade.  I am tired of wasting time on the dead. We have had too many failed projects. Winning a few games without extracting anything from them now is meaningless.

6 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

In all honesty, I put no weight as to what Bowles thinks about anyone. We have found out plenty about him this year and we can safely assume that he is no HC material. Starting Geno is futile. Let's say he wins a few games now, so what? Geno's decision making is what it is. Wasting games on him means just giving away another season for NOTHING. We need to see if Petty has anything to offer either as a starter or a backup. If not, we know what we need wither via draft or trade.  I am tired of wasting time on the dead. We have had too many failed projects. Winning a few games without extracting anything from them now is meaningless.

The Don as usual is correct.

1 hour ago, mkajet01 said:

What everyone needs to understand there are plenty of qb's who can run & have cannon for arms! If you have no pocket presence, leadership qualities! & if you lock onto one receiver like Fitz & you know who? Defenses will be ready. I also think Chan Gailey is horrible as offensive coordinator! With that said geno comes in completes a few short easy throws, cards tighten coverage. He fumbles then throws int. He couldn't even come into game & get the Jets at least a field goal. But it's the receivers fault for int, offensive lines fault for fumble. It's all the jet players fault, but not poor geno. Also jets tried to trade geno no team wanted him! So, if jets win its because of geno! If jets lose its on all the Jets except geno. Jets jets jets

He couldn't even get a FG. Yeah, makes perfect sense. How can a player not even squeeze a FG from his only drive? Oh I know, we wouldn't even kick one at that point. Carry on, Joe. 

40 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

In all honesty, I put no weight as to what Bowles thinks about anyone. We have found out plenty about him this year and we can safely assume that he is no HC material. Starting Geno is futile. Let's say he wins a few games now, so what? Geno's decision making is what it is. Wasting games on him means just giving away another season for NOTHING. We need to see if Petty has anything to offer either as a starter or a backup. If not, we know what we need either via draft or trade.  I am tired of wasting time on the dead. We have had too many failed projects. Winning a few games without extracting anything from them now is meaningless.

First off, there are 10 games left, not 2. Second, Petty couldn't overtake that same Geno you're referring to in two camps. Third, I agree we need to know what Petty can offer, but only after Geno gets his deserved chance, unless you think his rookie year n sophomore year was his chance, when he wasn't ready to start in the NFL with WRs pretending to be NFL caliber.

35 minutes ago, j4jets said:

First off, there are 10 games left, not 2. Second, Petty couldn't overtake that same Geno you're referring to in two camps. Third, I agree we need to know what Petty can offer, but only after Geno gets his deserved chance, unless you think his rookie year n sophomore year was his chance, when he wasn't ready to start in the NFL with WRs pretending to be NFL caliber.

You say Petty could not overtake Geno in 2 camps and my response stays, why do you put any faith in this coaching staff's ability to make decisions? 10 games left with this current record, stacks the deck and table against us. say the Jets go on a tear and end up 8-8, how is that beneficial to the team? We wither see what he has now or it is a wasted season with ZERO benefits.

19 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

You answered your own question.

If Bowles thought either Geno or Petty were ready, then there would not have been a need to bring back Fitz to start or draft Hackenberg to be compete or be a back-up next year.

Bowles doesn't think anything he isn't told about the offense, including by 2 high priced veterans on the receiving end of some 300 pass attempts between them in 2015. Bowles never attended offensive meetings himself, though, and admitted as much. Therefore color me unimpressed with what Bowles thinks about which QBs can and can't do what. He made the decision he wanted Fitz back on January 4th. His GM then made Fitz an offer larger than the one eventually accepted, with the only discrepancy being years 2017 and beyond. 

Fitz was also brought back for PR reasons. Lose with Fitz, oh well. Lose with Geno or Petty, after failing to bring Fitz back as starter, and the media is already in a campaign to fire both of them. There was no way Fitz wasn't returning, unless he never came off his initial demands/desires in the Osweiller/Bradford range.

Hackenberg was drafted to sit on his butt all year. Has nothing to do with confidence in any of the other 3 starting in 2016. Not unless Maccagnan is even more shortsighted than I already think he is.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bowles doesn't think anything he isn't told about the offense, including by 2 high priced veterans on the receiving end of some 300 pass attempts between them in 2015. Bowles never attended offensive meetings himself, though, and admitted as much. Therefore color me unimpressed with what Bowles thinks about which QBs can and can't do what. He made the decision he wanted Fitz back on January 4th. His GM then made Fitz an offer larger than the one eventually accepted, with the only discrepancy being years 2017 and beyond. 

Fitz was also brought back for PR reasons. Lose with Fitz, oh well. Lose with Geno or Petty, after failing to bring Fitz back as starter, and the media is already in a campaign to fire both of them. There was no way Fitz wasn't returning, unless he never came off his initial demands/desires in the Osweiller/Bradford range.

Hackenberg was drafted to sit on his butt all year. Has nothing to do with confidence in any of the other 3 starting in 2016. Not unless Maccagnan is even more shortsighted than I already think he is.

I find it hard to disagree on any of the points you made. I would also like to add that not only has Bowles been out coached in ALL phases of the game and failed to make the simplest in-game and halftime adjustments, he  has made the most colossal mistakes in simple and basic math. How can we then be asked to put our trust in this guy?

4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

You say Petty could not overtake Geno in 2 camps and my response stays, why do you put any faith in this coaching staff's ability to make decisions? 10 games left with this current record, stacks the deck and table against us. say the Jets go on a tear and end up 8-8, how is that beneficial to the team? We wither see what he has now or it is a wasted season with ZERO benefits.

I'd much rather be an 8-8 team than a 1-15 team.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wonder if working for a guy like Woody makes new hires less liable to think long term?

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I'd much rather be an 8-8 team than a 1-15 team.

Don't like getting to pick top of each round ? I know the jets would probably miss on a "can't miss" top 5 pick. If you don't make the playoffs, it is better to go 1-15.. it would be nice to draft a actual blue chip pass rusher, or O lineman who is going to crush people

18 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Don't like getting to pick top of each round ? I know the jets would probably miss on a "can't miss" top 5 pick. If you don't make the playoffs, it is better to go 1-15.. it would be nice to draft a actual blue chip pass rusher, or O lineman who is going to crush people

Knowing us, we'll probably draft a bust. And if by luck we do draft a "blue chip" player, he'll probably won't fit the scheme and be traded.

Archived