Rex still terrible

kevinc855

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Refs are scripting the games with the calls they make. Its bizarre, I feel like I could almost predict the flag before they throw them. It's totally disgusting.  

Bills played hard and with heart. Hard to do anything when Jimmy Graham had his coming out party catching two one handed touchdowns as he holds hands with the Bills defender. Sick! If he is 100% healthy and he and  Wilson continue  to develop chemistry Hawks gonna be a tough out for anyone.

Yet gotta be impressed with the Bills taking care of the ball.  Wouldnt count the Bils out just yet. Put Rex and Tyrod on this team and Jets are in the post season.  

The Bills walked into the toughest place to play in the entire league on MNF vs. the team that will be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl and his team played their ass off and got a win stolen form them. Fact. 

The NFL sucks. I agree..  You really have to wonder if its scripted at this point. 

Rex and Tyrod on this team are no doubt playoff bound.  Hell, with Rex's ability to win despite his QB, he might be able to actually carry that POS Fitz to the postseason for the first time in his career. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, he led Mark Sanchez to 4 playoff wins - that's proven to be one of the great coaching achievements in the history of Football. ;-)

Rex and Tanny's biggest down fall was they missed on draft picks that were supposed to replace aging vets.  It happens to teams.  Teams that dont have a QB, it hurts.  Teams that do have a QB, can make up for it.  Unfortunately for the Jets, they thought they had a Qb and had so many terrible contracts they couldnt help themselves any other way and when they failed in the draft or traded away picks, it killed the immediate future of the team after 2010.

Players who had career years under Rex Ryan that have failed to duplicate success or players who found themselves under Rex are as follows: Darrelle Revis, Mike DeVito, Sionne Pouha, Shonn Greene, Jamal Westerman, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Brad Smith, David Harris, Damon Harrison, Mo Wilk, Sheldon Richardson, Dustin Keller, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Dixon, Howard Green, Matt Slauson, Austin Howard, Josh Mauga, Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman, Calvin Pace, James Ihedigbo, Bryan Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Donald Strickland, Nick Ballore, Ropati Pitouta, Aaron Maybin, Kenrick Ellis, Jeremy Kerley.

Just to name a few.  

I agree with you that they missed on replacing players with draft picks and that it does happen to a lot of teams. It hurts when you don't have a QB. But if Bowles had a QB he probably wouldn't be 3-6 at this point either though. A QB can hide coaching deficiencies.

The best endorsement for Rex is that he won 4 playoff games and made back to back title games with Sanchez.

He got a lot out of Pouha who was one of the best NT's in the league under him, he was part of the group that stole Damon Harrison off the scrap heap. Maybin had a good 3/4ths of a season under him. Slauson was a nice find at guard who the Jets let get away.

But I don't doubt that Rex knows how to coach a defense. I just don't think he's anything but an average HC. HC's can always get better though.

I'm not going to go through every player you named but many of them had success before or after Rex. Braylon Edwards best season was in Cleveland, Cromartie had good years in San Diego and bad years, he did the same with the Jets, he was good in Arizona as well. DeVito was good under Mangini in 08 as was Revis, Thomas Jones, Pace, and Bryan Thomas and both DeVito and Revis had success after leaving. Holmes was a Super Bowl MVP when he came to the Jets. He missed on Ihedigbo who became a starter after leaving the Jets. He missed on Mauga as well.

Wilson, Pitouta, and Ellis did nothing under him. Kyle Wilson was a huge bust, as was Sanchez.

I think the Jets are in the same position with Rex as they are with Bowles. I don't see a game I can point to and go "Rex wins that one".

The biggest problem I had with Bowles so far this year was that late punt against Pitt. He had no right to trust his defense in that spot. But, to be fair, the Jets showed no signs of having a chance to really win that game. They lose either way.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Huh?  The Bills got absolutely hosed last night.  The NFL should be embarrassed how bad the refs ****ed up.  They full on stole a game from the Bills.  

The way Rex handled that game yesterday was 100x better than anything we've ever seen from Todd Bowles.

If Rex had this team, with all this talent, they'd be a lock for the playoffs, 100% guaranteed. 

I agree with your post in general but if you believe for ten seconds that Rex and whomever he had as his OC would magically make Fitz play well you are delusional.

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's ridiculous.

Is Rex a QB whisperer or something? He would make sure Fitz doesn't turn the ball over at the rate he's turned it over this year? He would have made sure Antonio Allen wasn't that close to being off sides on Sunday? He would have made sure Nick Folk didn't miss an extra point and get a chip shot FG blocked in week 1?

Well there is no question Rex with his red light, green light one two three and bull horn system Fitz would be HOF bound!!

:)

As I said before the discussion is like this:

We had a loud boisterous guy who promised us great things and kicked us in the balls 16 times a year.

We got tired of getting kicked in the balls so we let him go.

We got a quiet unemotional guy who didn't promise us great things and he kicked us in the head 16 times a year.

Now some people are saying, gee I don;t like getting kicked in the head I wish we had the guy back that kicked us in the balls each week that would be much better.

Oh as an aside the Bills did indeed get screwed so royally it was not even funny.  The non call on the roughing the kicker was so beyond atrocious I can't even describe it.  That ref should at minimum be suspended it was that awful and game affecting.

Just now, Beerfish said:

We had a loud boisterous guy who promised us great things and kicked us in the balls 16 times a year.

We got a quiet unemotional guy who didn't promise us great things and he kicked us in the head 16 times a year.

Now some people are saying, gee I don;t like getting kicked in the head I wish we had the guy back that kicked us in the balls each week that would be much better.

Actually I'm hoping for a head coach that has control of his team, puts a disciplined team on the field every game, makes the right personnel decisions based on performance and not popularity and every once in awhile shows emotion and doesn't say the same things over and over at pressers making him sound and look like a moron. 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh as an aside the Bills did indeed get screwed so royally it was not even funny.  The non call on the roughing the kicker was so beyond atrocious I can't even describe it.  That ref should at minimum be suspended it was that awful and game affecting.

and got us closer to a SB than anyone since SB III and was only coach to have TWO chances at SBs but I assume Jet fans are happy w/ the guy half asleep on the sidelines.

39 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Refs are scripting the games with the calls they make. Its bizarre, I feel like I could almost predict the flag before they throw them. It's totally disgusting.  

Bills played hard and with heart. Hard to do anything when Jimmy Graham had his coming out party catching two one handed touchdowns as he holds hands with the Bills defender. Sick! If he is 100% healthy and he and  Wilson continue  to develop chemistry Hawks gonna be a tough out for anyone.

Yet gotta be impressed with the Bills taking care of the ball.  Wouldnt count the Bils out just yet. Put Rex and Tyrod on this team and Jets are in the post season.  

This is why the ratings are down!!  People believe that the games are rigged and they are!!

There is no way on earth that the Pats get those kinds of calls against them if they were playing Seattle!  No Way!!

And the fact that every fan of the NFL knows this is what is destroying the game. 

55 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, he led Mark Sanchez to 4 playoff wins - that's proven to be one of the great coaching achievements in the history of Football. ;-)

Rex and Tanny's biggest down fall was they missed on draft picks that were supposed to replace aging vets.  It happens to teams.  Teams that dont have a QB, it hurts.  Teams that do have a QB, can make up for it.  Unfortunately for the Jets, they thought they had a Qb and had so many terrible contracts they couldnt help themselves any other way and when they failed in the draft or traded away picks, it killed the immediate future of the team after 2010.

Players who had career years under Rex Ryan that have failed to duplicate success or players who found themselves under Rex are as follows: Darrelle Revis, Mike DeVito, Sionne Pouha, Shonn Greene, Jamal Westerman, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Brad Smith, David Harris, Damon Harrison, Mo Wilk, Sheldon Richardson, Dustin Keller, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Dixon, Howard Green, Matt Slauson, Austin Howard, Josh Mauga, Marquice Cole, Drew Coleman, Calvin Pace, James Ihedigbo, Bryan Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Donald Strickland, Nick Ballore, Ropati Pitouta, Aaron Maybin, Kenrick Ellis, Jeremy Kerley.

Just to name a few.  

Opinions on Rex aside, this is a pretty laughably bad list you're desperately trying to push there.  While there are a few legit ones that could be used in Rex's favor, there are even more that include complete busts, locker room problems, no name special teamers, and players that had far more success with other teams, just to name a few.

The Bills got a raw deal last night.

Rex's best skills as a HC are motivating players to want to win. That's easy to translate into success when you have a great roster. You don't have to coach around deficiencies and the players can play around his deficiencies. You can put people in one on one matchups and know they will win. Rex without a great roster is a mess. He's not a good talent evaluator. Motivation does not always carry the day. The biggest problem with Rex is that there is no consistency to it. He rallies the troops to a win then backs off because they are winners which makes them play flat and lose. Then repeat. There's no player development or strong game plan to serve as a baseline. 

Rex should be a good HC's hype man. Just keep him around to give motivational speeches and hand out snacks.

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Actually I'm hoping for a head coach that has control of his team, puts a disciplined team on the field every game, makes the right personnel decisions based on performance and not popularity and every once in awhile shows emotion and doesn't say the same things over and over at pressers making him sound and look like a moron. 

I could care less about a coaches demeanor, I don't care if he is loud and boisterous or quiet and unemotional says he same thing at pressers.  A coaches demeanor means zero, if you look back on all the great successful coaches of the past, some are fire brand others are calm and boring.  Just be a good coach, they are not here to entertain or bore us.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I could care less about a coaches demeanor, I don;t acre if he is loud and boisterous or quiet and unemotional says he same thing at pressers.  A coaches demeanor means zero, if you look back on all the great successful coaches of the past, some are fire brand others are calm and boring.  Just be a good coach, they are not here to entertain or bore us.

Todd Bowles looks like he has no personality and he after hearing him speak it all but solidifies this. Football players are human beings they are not robots. Do you see the good head coaches lets use Pete Carroll as an example high living players running out to greet them after a great play players feed of this stuff. 

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

and got us closer to a SB than anyone since SB III and was only coach to have TWO chances at SBs but I assume Jet fans are happy w/ the guy half asleep on the sidelines.

No jets are not happy with a guy asleep on the sidleine sunless you have ignored the last 5000 posts about how bad bowles is doing.  Jets are also not happy with a guy that has missed the playoffs for 5 or 6 years in a row who is very alive on the sidelines.

As I said, the guys pining for Rex just would rather get kicked in the nuts than the head.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles looks like he has no personality and he after hearing him speak it all but solidifies this. Football players are human beings they are not robots. Do you see the good head coaches lets use Pete Carroll as an example high living players running out to greet them after a great play players feed of this stuff. 

Who gives a sh*t about personality.

John Madden had personality, bill Walsh didn't, Chuck Noll had some personality, Bill Belichick doesn't, John Gruden had personality,  Tom Landry didn't

The raw rawness of a coach has little to do with success, almost nothing.  Especially in this day and age.

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Team is 4-5 and looks like it will not make the playoffs again. That marks 6 straight seasons he has missed the playoffs. ESPN or CBS is the only question here.

Still better than the Jets. We had no shot against the Seahawks while Bills were a dropped pass away from a victory (thanks to Jimmy's two one-handed TD grabs).

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The Bills walked into the toughest place to play in the entire league on MNF vs. the team that will be representing the NFC in the Super Bowl and his team played their ass off and got a win stolen form them. Fact. 

The NFL sucks. I agree..  You really have to wonder if its scripted at this point. 

Rex and Tyrod on this team are no doubt playoff bound.  Hell, with Rex's ability to win despite his QB, he might be able to actually carry that POS Fitz to the postseason for the first time in his career. 

Uhhh, you lost me at Fitz Sweetone.  It was going great till then I was nodding along as if we were the same person. Then you dropped the F word. I'm sorry dude gotta put you on block. Goodbye Sweetone!!!

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Rex is Rex nothing has changed except he's added his brother in the mess only things going for him is the Bills seem hungry and Taylor is an exciting QB. 

Players play hard and he came up with an unknown QB who's turning heads with his play.  This is your idea of bad?

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Where did I say this was bad?

When you said this:

Rex is Rex nothing has changed except he's added his brother in the mess only things going for him is the Bills seem hungry and Taylor is an exciting QB. 

That definitely gives the reader the impression that Rex has done badly.

15 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

When you said this:

That definitely gives the reader the impression that Rex has done badly.

Destroying a defense in his 1st year and going 4-5 in his second year is not doing well.  I will say his move to Lynn as an oc is looking good, lynn has called some good games.

46 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Still better than the Jets. We had no shot against the Seahawks while Bills were a dropped pass away from a victory (thanks to Jimmy's two one-handed TD grabs).

Let's see....Jets have beaten the Ravens, Browns and, and,  and.....oh, that's right, the Bills.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Let's see....Jets have beaten the Ravens, Browns and, and,  and.....oh, that's right, the Bills.

How could I ever forget the one game Jets actually played like an NFL team? Did you happen to catch what Bills did to us last year?

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Huh?  The Bills got absolutely hosed last night.  The NFL should be embarrassed how bad the refs ****ed up.  They full on stole a game from the Bills.  

The way Rex handled that game yesterday was 100x better than anything we've ever seen from Todd Bowles.

If Rex had this team, with all this talent, they'd be a lock for the playoffs, 100% guaranteed. 

3 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Rex still stinks but I gotta be honest, I like what Anthony Lynn has done with that offense.  They're fast and he's really playing to their strengths.  He could have a bright future in this league.

Bill showed more effort, speed and heart in one game than our team has cumulatively shown all season.  Yeah, Rex was a mess on many levels but at least his teams play their asses off.  Our team, on the other hand, largely looks lazy and gutless.  Guys on our "vaunted" D are either mailing it in or playing just for themselves.  Pretty disgusting display from top to bottom.

4 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Bill showed more effort, speed and heart in one game than our team has cumulatively shown all season.  Yeah, Rex was a mess on many levels but at least his teams play their asses off.  Our team, on the other hand, largely looks lazy and gutless.  Guys on our "vaunted" D are either mailing it in or playing just for themselves.  Pretty disgusting display from top to bottom.

We beat Buffalo

Archived