NFL May Change London Start Times

JetsFanatic

This does seem a bit bass ackwards ...

Bring your sport to the UK, so UK / EU fans get some real games (not NFLE / feeder league stuff). Then muck about with them so that they suit the folks back home more than the fans that you're trying to grow the game with in the first place.

:blink:

Is this the first sign that people are getting cold feet about the whole expansion idea?? Because it doesn't suit the home market?

1 hour ago, TheMagicRat said:

There should be no NFL games in London period. 

You will pretty soon get your wish in a few years.  It's not as big a money maker for the league as it once was and if the pound sterling and usd become equal in value the NFL will lose money doing it

However you will see more games in Mexico City.  The NFL wants to increase interest in American Football in Latin America as the talent pool here in America decreasing as parents aren't letting their kids play football.  MLB gets half of its players from Latin America why not NFL?

8 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The British pound is crashing in value because of Brexit.  It's now at 1.24 USD, when the NFL started the London games in 2007 it was at 1.90 USD

It's not as profitable anymore as it once was to have games in England

The Euro is at 1.06 USD, heading to parity along with the Sterling crashing. Time to head to Euro with your dollars after years of European shoppers going in this direction.

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You will pretty soon get your wish in a few years.  It's not as big a money maker for the league as it once was and if the pound sterling and usd become equal in value the NFL will lose money doing it

However you will see more games in Mexico City.  The NFL wants to increase interest in American Football in Latin America as the talent pool here in America decreasing as parents aren't letting their kids play football.  MLB gets half of its players from Latin America why not NFL?

I teach in a district where roughly 60% of the students are Hispanic...there is little to no interest in football.

1 minute ago, TheMagicRat said:

I teach in a district where roughly 60% of the students are Hispanic...there is little to no interest in football.

If the NFL wants to survive they have to change that.  Suburban white families aren't letting their kids play football

9 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

To be honest, I liked 9:30 AM games better. If they want to fight over saturation, they should end Thursday night games. 

They should bring back Saturday afternoon games the last 2 weeks of the season (like they used to have but I don't think they do anymore)

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Interesting thought. 

The British pound is crashing in value because of Brexit.  It's now at 1.24 USD, when the NFL started the London games in 2007 it was at 1.90 USD

I'm sure the profit doesn't come from the game but the interest it creates. NFL is huge over here now, because it's so accessible. When I used to watch football on TV as a youngster over here there was 1 game a week on channel 4 (we only had 4 channels in the uk at that time) so it was hard to hang your hat on a team. With no internet etc or printed media it would be impossible to follow a team. Your crazy if you think the NFL isn't making money from these games, directly or indirectly

11 hours ago, Gangrene said:

The Euro is at 1.06 USD, heading to parity along with the Sterling crashing. Time to head to Euro with your dollars after years of European shoppers going in this direction.

Crazy to see what's happening with both currencies over there.

It benefits me right now, but if things keep dropping at this rate, who the hell knows what's gonna' happen?

Crazy to see what's happening with both currencies over there.
It benefits me right now, but if things keep dropping at this rate, who the hell knows what's gonna' happen?

At the rate that this Brexit electoral screwup is going, the Pound Sterling could be at a current fair market value equal to the MetLife Investment Gold personal.seating license..between 10 and 25 cents on the dollar

2 hours ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I'm sure the profit doesn't come from the game but the interest it creates. NFL is huge over here now, because it's so accessible. When I used to watch football on TV as a youngster over here there was 1 game a week on channel 4 (we only had 4 channels in the uk at that time) so it was hard to hang your hat on a team. With no internet etc or printed media it would be impossible to follow a team. Your crazy if you think the NFL isn't making money from these games, directly or indirectly

I never said the NFL isn't making money on the London games it is but as the currency of England loses value it becomes a lot less profitable

They were showing NFL games and all playoff games on Sky before the London games and will continue to do so after

17 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

At the rate that this Brexit electoral screwup is going, the Pound Sterling could be at a current fair market value equal to the MetLife Investment Gold personal.seating license..between 10 and 25 cents on the dollar

Can w get away with paying Wilkerson in Pounds?

On 11/20/2016 at 11:46 AM, drdetroit said:

that makes it more profitable not less. The cost of hotels (lodging), food etc all go down with a stronger dollar. 

I know most fans want to end these foreign games but bottom line if you want the game to grow it has to happen. There's no more growth in adding a 4th team to florida for example. Jacksonville is a nice place to visit but it's not an NFL city. London or Mexico City could support a team better than Jacksonville could.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

that makes it more profitable not less. The cost of hotels (lodging), food etc all go down with a stronger dollar. 

I know most fans want to end these foreign games but bottom line if you want the game to grow it has to happen. There's no more growth in adding a 4th team to florida for example. Jacksonville is a nice place to visit but it's not an NFL city. London or Mexico City could support a team better than Jacksonville could.  

Revenue from ticket sales dwarfs a couple dozen hotel rooms that are contracted out anyway

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

revenue from tv deals dwarf ticket sales. If the NFL could get going in Europe they could sell another multi billion dollar tv deal. 

NFL is already broadcast all over Europe on Sky which is their version of ESPN - that was even before the dopey London games

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

NFL is already broadcast all over Europe on Sky which is their version of ESPN - that was even before the dopey London games

Sky is more like their version of direcTv. NFL wants networks.  

Even if there's a 5% chance of BBC buying in, that's a bigger chance than if they leave the team in Jacksonville. 

It's all about growth. There's no more growth in this country to be had. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I remember that when the NFL had WLAF and NFL Europe,  most of the  European teams were in Germany.  Rheine, Frankfurt, Berlin.  the Germans really appeared to embrace American football. 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Sky only broadcast NFL to the UK and Ireland. And their coverage is terrible. They spend far too much time with the  "Why London needs a team and needs it NOW! " crap. At least they have RedZone. Had to laugh when one of their hosts was put on the big screen at one of the London games a few weeks ago, and 80,000 people booed him.

Other European countries have their own broadcasters showing games. Ended up watching the Bengals game on a stream of the German broadcaster.

If the Jets do play in London again, I hope they keep with the early kickoff times, because I don't fancy spending a night lying on a bench at the airport. Also, if the NFL want to keep their UK market happy, they'll do that. When the Redskins game went into overtime, Sky wouldn't show RedZone, - they ended up showing the game on both channels - the RedZone channel and the original channel, and the amount of stick they got for it was insane.

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Sky only broadcast NFL to the UK and Ireland. And their coverage is terrible. They spend far too much time with the  "Why London needs a team and needs it NOW! " crap. At least they have RedZone. Had to laugh when one of their hosts was put on the big screen at one of the London games a few weeks ago, and 80,000 people booed him.

Other European countries have their own broadcasters showing games. Ended up watching the Bengals game on a stream of the German broadcaster.

If the Jets do play in London again, I hope they keep with the early kickoff times, because I don't fancy spending a night lying on a bench at the airport. Also, if the NFL want to keep their UK market happy, they'll do that. When the Redskins game went into overtime, Sky wouldn't show RedZone, - they ended up showing the game on both channels - the RedZone channel and the original channel, and the amount of stick they got for it was insane.

Dude I used to watch NFL games on Sky in Germany and Czech Republic

Sky is broadcast all over the world

4 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

PDM, we gotta' meet up in London if/when the Jets play out there again.

On 11/20/2016 at 11:24 AM, JetsFanatic said:

It's time to end the London and definitely Mexico City games..  Most important of all end roger Goodell.. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18110692/brock-osweiler-houston-texans-says-laser-stands-very-distracting-loss-oakland-raiders-mexico-city

Archived