As bad as our QB situation is

AFJF

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And you don't pay a modern-day Neil O'Donnell $18M per on a long-term deal.  Sounds like we're on the same page here. 

We are.

I didn't think the issue was whether the Jets would pay Osweiller, but whether their situation was as bad as ours. Someone mentioned that it's only a two-year deal that he's on. That's not really all that bad for a guy you feel has starter's potential.

Compare that to our situation: where we spent $12 mill on a guy who is statistically the worst starting QB in the league when we had THREE QBs we could have developed and found out about. Maybe used that money for a RT or split among other positions of need.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I didn't think the issue was whether the Jets would pay Osweiller, but whether their situation was as bad as ours. Someone mentioned that it's only a two-year deal that he's on. That's not really all that bad for a guy you feel has starter's potential.

Well, he signed a 4-year deal, but $37M of the $72M contract is guaranteed and paid out in the first 2 seasons.  The final 2 years of the deal are not guaranteed.  So while they CAN move on from him after the first 2 seasons of the deal, it's hard to imagine they'd be particularly happy about having to do so.  Front office honchos and head coaches get fired for such failures. 

His deal put him on par with the likes of Matthew Stafford and Tony Romo.  So they were paying him with the hopes he'd at least be a solid starter, not an abject failure. 

32 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Imagine knowing you just gave Osweiller a long-term deal at $18 million per season.

How long can the Texans stay above water despite him?

It's actually amazing.   He is getting 18, and JJ Watt is getting 20 and is hurt all year.

Almost 40 million for nothing.

Is it a 2-year deal, or is it one of those "on paper, it kinda sorta only looks like a 2-year deal because they can pay him almost $40 million for two years before they cut him and start over" kind of deals?  Because that's still worse than $12 mil for Fitz IMO.

Just now, chirorob said:

It's actually amazing.   He is getting 18, and JJ Watt is getting 20 and is hurt all year.

Almost 40 million for nothing.

Jets are getting about the same from Fitz, Mo and Revis.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yep.   And they are 6-5. 

Clearly a deeper roster, but likely in the same boat the Jets were in last season.  They'll win enough to miss out on an upgrade at QB, but not enough to go to the playoffs.  Even if that were to happen, does anyone think they're going to make a deep playoff run with Osweiller at QB?

Osweiler might get better after another off-season in the system. 

Historically speaking, Fitz aint getting better... Geno aint getting better... and the other 2 are a lost cause if the only investment being made in their development is that they split 3rd team reps. 

Our situation is actually worse, given the knowns surrounding our 4 players.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Clearly a deeper roster, but likely in the same boat the Jets were in last season.  They'll win enough to miss out on an upgrade at QB, but not enough to go to the playoffs.  Even if that were to happen, does anyone think they're going to make a deep playoff run with Osweiller at QB?

Sometimes the light comes on when you least expect it. The guy has the measurables vs. our guy who has the "intangibles" and a history of choking, which really means he doesn't have the intangibles.

ugh.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Sometimes the light comes on when you least expect it. The guy has the measurables vs. our guy who has the "intangibles" and a history of choking, which really means he doesn't have the intangibles.

ugh.

Does he thought?  I've only watched him play a few times and came away wondering why he was so highly regarded.  Lots off wayyyy off target ducks for a guy who has spent 4 years studying under a HOFer.  He has managed to make one of the most dynamic WR's in the NFL a non-factor as well.

The Jets are not in as bad of a situation at QB as it may seem. No, they don't currently have a 'Franchise QB', or even a starting QB going into 2017. No, they don't exactly know what they have in their young QBs. But simply the fact that they have two young, cheap, talented QBs on the roster and no commitments to Fitz or Geno is a blessing and gives them a ton of options. There are teams in the league that have Franchise QBs that get paid a ton and the team is losing (Saints, Ravens, Panthers, Bengals, Colts, Bears). There are teams that have Franchise QB's that are getting paid a ton and they are not playing up to par (Dolphins, Texans, Chargers, Cardinals). And there are a number of teams that, like the Jets, don't have a Franchise QB (Browns, Vikings, Broncos).  

It will be one of their cheapest positions on the roster in 2017 and will allow them to:

1. Bring in a relatively cheap vet via FA as a bridge if Petty and Hack are not ready (Hoyer?).  

2. Sign a young high priced FA QB like Glennon. They will have the money to do so if they choose.

3. Trade for a proven vet QB (Romo?)

4. Draft a QB and go with a young movement of Petty, Hack, and a rookie. 

10 minutes ago, August said:

Why do people like to use him as an example? He had a few good seasons. The better example would be Rob Johnson. 

The parallel is that they were both given huge contracts after accomplishing very little as a starter.  While he had a couple of "okay" seasons, he never came close to living up to the money he got.  With Barry Sanders at RB, he should have been able to do a lot more if he wasn't so bad.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2016 isn't that the deal or is there another hidden contract that we all dont know about. 

There's money for 2017 as well.

What are your feelings on the contract itself?

For or against?

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im against anything Ryan Fitzpatrick i want him off this team.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

You do?  Why?

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Its quite obvious....

Joewilly, why the sudden change in tune? You flip-flopping again?

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Joewilly, why the sudden change in tune? You flip-flopping again?

WRONG I was never a Ryan Fitzpatrick fan I support anyone in a Jets uniform i hoped he would do well and we would win... GET IT RIGHT dont make up LIES to try and look cool...

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

WRONG I was never a Ryan Fitzpatrick fan I support anyone in a Jets uniform i hoped he would do well and we would win... GET IT RIGHT dont make up LIES to try and look cool...

I just don't understand how you could spend months being supportive of the guy, and the BOOM... it's like nothing you've said in the past has meaning.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Dude go away EVERYONE on this board knows I HATE RYAN FITZPATRICK AS THE QB OF THE NY JETS. 

I don't think Max would appreciate you telling me to leave. I mean, I contribute insightful commentary in between jokes. You, you're just a flip-flopper.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't think Max would appreciate you telling me to leave. I mean, I contribute insightful commentary in between jokes. You, you're just a flip-flopper.

Im telling you to go away from me 

Are you going to cry and whine to Max because you come at me and then when I prove you wrong you cant face the truth and then you make up lies to try and look cool. 

Does the truth hurt are you crying or just whining..

No worries I'm fixing the situation putting you on ignore. 

You've chosen to ignore content by Integrity28

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

No, they aren't going anywhere.  It's just impressive to me they have been able to over come all of that and still be a decent team.

It's like, their coach said, "Yeah, we lost the best defensive player in the NFL, and out QB sucks, but we aren't going to quit".  And.... his player didn't quit.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Imagine knowing you just gave Osweiller a long-term deal at $18 million per season.

How long can the Texans stay above water despite him?

He is young and still has upside plus his team has a winning record in his first year as a starter.  Now if he doesn't show any improvement next year than that is a different story.  I would rather that situation than wasting an entire season with the bum we gave 12 million to, stunting the development of the other quarterbacks on our roster. 

Archived