Number 1 thing I noticed about Petty tonight

AFJF

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

When he had time to throw, it was far uglier than it should have been.

When pass protection fell apart and he had to improvise, he made some of his best throws/decision.

Odd.

In that case we better sign Ijalana to a long term extension.  He was Wayne Hunter bad yesterday.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

When he had time to throw, it was far uglier than it should have been.

When pass protection fell apart and he had to improvise, he made some of his best throws/decision.

Odd.

He was thinking too much.  He said when he just started reacting he was better off.  He got better as the game went on. People saying that play to Anderson had Hail Mary written all over it are wrong.  He knows he can make that throw. Someone like Fitz cannot.  Anderson did not have to break stride.  It was high where Anderson likes it.  He has arm talent.  The accuracy worries me, but that might be a product of this overthinking too.  What I liked best about him was that he is dogged. He just kept sticking his head in there.  And also that he came from behind.  Something Fitz cannot do because defenses do not fear his downfield ability.  I would say his performance was uneven.  We know he is tough.  We know he can throw it, but can he pass it?  Not bad for a second start.  He would not have beaten a good team, of course.  Let's see how he does next game.  What these four games will probably tells is whether he has the ability to back up in the league.

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yup...this is why Bowles should've had him doing it weeks ago.  He's gonna need a ton of reps.  Too many were wasted on Fitz.

Bowles knows zip about QBs.  He thinks superior throws are luck because Fitz cannot make them.  I cannot stand Bowles.

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

I sure hope not.  There are only so many reps to go around and the new CBA limits the off season reps even further.   Next spring / summer should be all petty, hack, and a camp arm.   If the team sucks then 2018 is the year of the Rosen one.  

Unless this team breaks the bank on cousins the best they could do with a vet is Foles.  There is nothing better out there.  I'd just assume see what we have with petty and hack.  

And I saw Cousins throw a HIgh School pick 6 yesterday---not his first, either. He does some dumb crap out there.  People on this sight would castrate Petty if he did that--and he has  started two pro games.  Fans are remarkably inconsistent.

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

He was thinking too much.  He said when he just started reacting he was better off.  He got better as the game went on. People saying that play to Anderson had Hail Mary written all over it are wrong.  He knows he can make that throw. Someone like Fitz cannot.  Anderson did not have to break stride.  It was high where Anderson likes it.  He has arm talent.  The accuracy worries me, but that might be a product of this overthinking too.  What I liked best about him was that he is dogged. He just kept sticking his head in there.  And also that he came from behind.  Something Fitz cannot do because defenses do not fear his downfield ability.  I would say his performance was uneven.  We know he is tough.  We know he can throw it, but can he pass it?  Not bad for a second start.  He would not have beaten a good team, of course.  Let's see how he does next game.  What these four games will probably tells is whether he has the ability to back up in the league.

That last throw to Anderson was the kind of play Brett Favre used to make.  It went against everything coaches teach QBs, and yet it somehow worked.

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

That's because he sucks. People keep trying to turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad because we're so desperate, but Bryce was beyond awful. Bryce has no concept of reading a D or going through possessions. Yes the line was bad at times, but the two need not be mutually exclusive. Bryce threw a couple prayers up to Robbie Anderson that got caught. He is nowhere near an NFL caliber QB. He's not even close. Going into next season with him or Hack as presumptive future starters would be a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is your proposed course of action?

For the record, I don't agree with your view on Petty, but I'd like to know how you'd handle the QB position for 2017 given your total dismissal of our two existing QB's.

Nice first game.  For a miserable season, one of the highlights was watching some Deep throws, some gutty runs by the qb, including a damn fine two pt conversion.

he might be a project, but there is a glimmer of hope we continue to play him, let hack Develop and draft another qb, forget about signing another qb, just let these young guys play, maybe we have a guy in 3 years when Brady retires...

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Petty is a major project and has all the flaws that have been mentioned in this and other posts.

He is also big, strong, tough, competitive, has a good arm and seems like a hard worker/good guy.

He also has an NFL arm, so he can take an offense that looked dysfunctional under Fitz and add some pizazz to it.  So if you surround him with some good pieces, like an OL, running game and defense, he could be a bridge for awhile.

I don't think it was a coincidence that Powell played so well with Petty in.  The defense knew that Petty could through deep to Anderson, so the safeties had to respect that.

So I think this is another job of HC and OC ineptitude, because they overvalued the game manager (not) Fitz who has no arm an inexperienced QB with an arm.  With the roster the Jets had (young receivers who could go deep), the Jets were better off this year developing youth and playing a QB who could play Raider style.

It will be good to get Petty some reps for the next 3 games.   Unfortunately, we will not get as good of a look as we could because the Jets line is so bad.  Everyone needs to take that into account as we look forward.

I agree with this post.  Well said.

5 minutes ago, jack48 said:

And I saw Cousins throw a HIgh School pick 6 yesterday---not his first, either. He does some dumb crap out there.  People on this sight would castrate Petty if he did that--and he has  started two pro games.  Fans are remarkably inconsistent.

There's a reason that they are called "fanatics". Strong reasoning isn't usually a strong suit. 

46 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Another thing of note was how the team responded to Petty.  Sure seemed like the team was cool with losing and getting this season over with as easily as possible.

Then as Petty began to get a bit more comfortable and the team noticed some effort/skill/heart at the QB position, the team definitely stepped it up.  Even the defense started playing.  We even saw a Revis pass breakup!

It amazing how one guy can affect the whole team.

Finally someone said it.

Petty hung tough and delivered in the clutch. Then his banzai kamikaze corkscrew 2-pointer lit up the team. 

Even the OL came to life and started blocking after that.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Another thing of note was how the team responded to Petty.  Sure seemed like the team was cool with losing and getting this season over with as easily as possible.

Then as Petty began to get a bit more comfortable and the team noticed some effort/skill/heart at the QB position, the team definitely stepped it up.  Even the defense started playing.  We even saw a Revis pass breakup!

It amazing how one guy can affect the whole team.

It's true for the whole league.  Welcome to the NFL Today.

When Petty was moving out of the pocket or under duress, it was usually because the 49ers were bringing pressure.  They were dropping less into coverage and more likely single coverage on the receivers.  He was able to throw the ball up and in the general vicinity of his receivers so that they could make the play.  He constantly did this to Anderson which they were some what successful.  The times when he had time, the 49ers were dropping more in coverage and he needed to make accurate throws over/between defenders.  He did and has struggled with this as he doesn't trust his eyes and is a little too confident in his arm to make these window throws.

Let me preface this next part with: I am in no way comparing the talent of Petty with Mariota.  But Petty's game yesterday did remind me of the struggles that Mariota went through last year in Tennessee.  Mariota made incredible plays last year when pressured but left me scratching my head on open throws while standing in the pocket.  This year Mariota has looked better with the addition of Murray.  Mariota still struggles with teams that can bring pressure from the outsides (see Broncos, Raiders, Texans) forcing him to make the throw from the pocket or take a sack.  Similar to Mariota, Petty looked a lot more comfortable as the Jets were able to establish the run game with Powell. Petty was able to sustain drives in the second half of 7:25, 2:49, 8:23 and 1:57 (game tying field goal drive) once they also got the run game going.  It was good to see that he recognized the value of having a big target in the middle of the field with ASJ; Something that developing QBs tend to rely on early in their careers as a security blanket.

I was expecting a Greg McElroy performance. Deer in headlights as I would say. He looked like he belonged once he settled down. He can play the rest now is up to him if he wants a career in the NFL. Starter backup whatever that may be, it's up to him. 

So what is your proposed course of action?
For the record, I don't agree with your view on Petty, but I'd like to know how you'd handle the QB position for 2017 given your total dismissal of our two existing QB's.

We keep drafting top prospects until we hit one. Period. Almost 50 years without even a decent franchise QB. In that span we have taken 1 QB in the top 5. We have NEVER drafted the concensus top pick. We have no luxury of drafting half ass projects and hoping they turn out ok 4 years later. People talking about Hack next year, the guy can't even dress! Bilal Powell is ahead of him on the depth chart! Hack ain't coming up next year, maybe not even 2018. You wanna sit around and wait for that?? Especially given the fact he still likely won't be any good.

We need to draft a top tier QB. We need to stop pussyfooting around with projects and makeshift crappy veterans from the scrap heap. You draft a top prospect and you start him immediately. If he falters THEN Hack is your insurance card. If Hack falters you draft again. If I see another Fitz type guy plugged in to make do for another year or two I might go postal.

Archived