Jets’ 41-3 loss to Cheaters brings back memories of Rich Kotite Era

Gas2No99

Jets’ 41-3 loss to Cheaters brings back memories of Rich Kotite Era 

Gary Myers

FOXBOROUGH – Woody Johnson spared himself the humiliation and aggravation and missed his first game of this dismal season. Todd Bowles should have stayed home, too.

Johnson had family obligations for the holidays. Bowles was cleared by his doctors at 5:30 a.m. Saturday after he said “kidney stones, gallbladder, gall stones, got stuck in the pipe, lot of pain,” put him in the hospital Friday. He boarded a plane and was on the sidelines for the Jets’ 41-3 loss to the Cheaters.

Bowles appeared to be in tremendous pain after the game, but whether that’s because he has yet to pass the stones or the humiliation he incurred watching his team hit rock bottom – it can’t get any worse, right? – is hard to say.

Jets Nation is in even more pain than Bowles. How much more can a fan base endure? Jet fans deserve so much better than this slop. It will be up to Johnson to decide how to assign accountability. It doesn’t appear Bowles is going to lose his job – he does not deserve a third year — but Johnson has proven to be unpredictable and the last person to have his ear could make the biggest impression, especially if Bowles loses to Rex Ryan next week.

GM Mike Maccagnan has accumulated too many players who lack talent, motivation, energy and pride and that was even before they were decimated by injury. They were so pitiful that even the heartless Bill Belichick, who hates the Jets, showed compassion and removed Tom Brady late in the third quarter with a 34-0 lead. The Jets were completely non-competitive.

Muhammad Wilkerson, one of the Jets’ primary underachievers, tried to fire up his teammates before the game with a clichéd “Let’s Win This For Coach” speech.

Either the players tuned out Wilkerson since he has been invisible since signing his $86 million contract, or playing hard for their coach, who cared enough about them to rush to Foxborough for what was clearly going to be a butt-kicking, just didn’t register.

630496914.jpg

Bryce Petty didn't last long, getting knocked out of the game early with a dislocated left shoulder.

(BILLIE WEISS/GETTY IMAGES)

“I spoke to the team before we went out before the game,” Wilkerson said. “He made a business decision to come here and coach the team. I’m pretty sure he didn’t have to. I felt like we should play for each other like we always do, but just play a little harder for coach. We didn’t really know what his illness was. I just tried to give guys motivation to play harder.”

The impact of Wilkerson’s talk: Zero. The Jets were down 10-0 at the end of the first quarter and 27-0 at the half.

There’s been so many low points in Jets history. This is the worst it’s been since — now brace yourself Jets Nation – the Rich Kotite days. He was 4-28 in two seasons including 1-15 in 1996. The Jets’ performance against the Cheaters was classic "Kotitian"at one point in the second half they had four completions and four turnovers for the game.

The Jets finished with eight completions – none by starter Bryce Petty, who dislocated his non-throwing shoulder trying to recover a fumble – and five turnovers.

Losing fractures teams and it’s fractured in at least two spots. Brandon Marshall considers himself the wise old man of the team. Sheldon Richardson is just a knucklehead with a resume to prove it.

Marshall tried to sum up the hopelessness of Saturday’s game. “Embarrassing,” Marshall said. “Just embarrassing.”

myersweb25s-mof-web.jpg

Todd Bowles should have stayed in the hospital instead of torturing himself with this team.

(CHARLES KRUPA/AP)

Richardson, when told of Marshall’s comment, said, “He should be embarrassed.”

Bowles has built quite a brotherhood and team-first attitude. Marshall and Richardson argued in the locker room after a loss in Kansas City earlier this season and apparently have not made peace. Richardson said he respects Marshall personally, not professionally.

In the last three losses, the 4-11 Jets have been outscored by the Colts (41-10), Dolphins (34-13) and Cheaters (41-3) by a combined 116-26.:1cry: “It’s been a struggle this year for us,” Darrelle Revis said. “I struggled this year, but at the same time, as a team overall, we have, too. It goes across the board. Everybody is accountable.

Revis is a prime candidate to either absorb a huge pay cut down to the $6 million he has guaranteed – his base salary is $13 million — or the Jets could just cut him.

Does he think he will be back?

“We’ll see,” he said. “I don’t know what management is going to do.”

630498658.jpg

Charone Peake has a ball thrown out of his reach.

(MADDIE MEYER/GETTY IMAGES)

There is no end in sight to the Jets misery. Ryan Fitzpatrick, who lost his job to both Geno Smith and then Petty, had to come in relief for the third time since his benching following Smith’s torn ACL, Petty getting bent in half by Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Wake last week and then Petty going down in the second quarter against the Cheaters.

Petty was 0-for-3 with an INT when he was injured. Fitz was Fitz: 8-for-21 with two INTs. It seems likely that Christian Hackenberg will finally get a uniform and dress for his first game next week in the long-awaited final game of the season.

Why not just start Hackenberg to get him a feel for the speed of the game? Bowles has made this a redshirt year for the rookie while Dak Prescott, drafted two rounds later, is an MVP candidate. The Jets don’t feel Hackenberg is ready to play, but how can that be? He’s been around since May. Is he that far behind, is he so bad that he can’t get on the field for a meaningless game?

Petty had his chance. He is too brittle. He is also not very good. He is not the future. :(The Jets need to find out if Hackenberg has any chance to be the quarterback in 2017. If he doesn’t, that’s a terrible indictment of Maccagnan’s ability to pick QBs. It looks like Petty, taken in the fourth round in 2015, is a wasted pick. If Hackenberg can’t get on the field next week, how can we look at him as anything but a wasted pick? There’s speculation Maccagnan could use the Jets’ first-round pick, which right now is fifth overall, on a quarterback. I don’t think he should be allowed to keep taking QBs every year until he gets it right.

But that’s up to Johnson, who was smart enough to stay away Saturday. Bowles should have done the same. 

This has fire them written all over it. Wasted picks. No talent. Not ready to play. Dak Prescott MVP. Picked 2 rounds later. Misery. Ryan Fitzpatrick lost his job to Geno and Petty.  Revis. Richardson. Marshall. Kotite. Mo Wilkerson. Woody. Macc.

The Jets are already blown to bits.

How can they keep Bowles, really Metlife will be Empty in 2017. The Fire Storm that will hit if he get another year, will make the Idizk debacle look like a ballroom spat.

Its burn the house down guys, there is hiding it. When Leo Williams says they aren't prepared then I'm very worried. This Ship is rudderless, regardless of how good bad we think the Roster is,   

Ugh. I turned it off after petty got hurt. Again.  The guy is brittle.  i know his protection sucks, but he gets hurt almost every game.  That is not going to work, no matter how he plays.  And if Hackenburg is not good enough to merit some snaps, even in a season like this, I say "Let my coaches go."  And the  GM.

Dear Pencil Dick Myers

(also Camel Jockey Manish, Dick Semen, Joe Beningno and all the rest of our collection of media ever to follow any team)

We were just as bad in 2014 (4-12) with your beloved good buddy, the fat dope

No seasons even remotely compare with the 4-28 of 1995 and 1996 - the Kotite Error.

Buy a clue, shortsighted dimbulbs

Petty looked like a frightened rabbit in the headlights. I'm sure he fakes the injury to get off the field.

That's because Petty has no idea what's going on out there. Some young QB's recognize what they see, but it takes a while for them to catch up to the speed of it. Petty on the other hand has no idea what he's seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Um, didn't the Jets loose to the Pats 45-3 under Rex? Wasn't that the year we beat them in the playoffs? Granted, the Jets were pretty good then, but, 41-3 means Kotite. Meanwhile the crappy Jets have as many wins this year then under Kotite's 2 years. But, yeah, Kotite.

I realize that the Jets sucks, but lets not wallow too much.

Neither Mac, Bowles nor any of the players that look bad, other than Revis, are as bad as they look.

They look bad because they work for a rudderless organization.

Woody is wasting his money and our time by firing them all.  He needs to remove himself and put the team in a blind trust.  Let someone smart figure it out.

Macc and his team know how to scout.   They will grow into the role, here or elsewhere.

Bowles may never be a good coach.   I think there are other bigger issues.  It seems like he is unable to confront the players, and he picked a coaching staff of cronies.  That last one may have been his undoing.   Bowles, Rodgers, Caldwell and Johnson?  Brain Trust?

2 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Dear Pencil Dick Myers

(also Camel Jockey Manish, Dick Semen, Joe Beningno and all the rest of our collection of media ever to follow any team)

We were just as bad in 2014 (4-12) with your beloved good buddy, the fat dope

No seasons even remotely compare with the 4-28 of 1995 and 1996 - the Kotite Error.

Buy a clue, shortsighted dimbulbs

Agreed.  The Kotite error was the absolute nadir.  Kotite gets too much of the blame though.  That team was pretty devoid of talent.  And in typical Jet fashion Peyton Manning didn't leave school early after his Soph and Junior seasons (both years we picked #1 overall).  

22 hours ago, varjet said:

Neither Mac, Bowles nor any of the players that look bad, other than Revis, are as bad as they look.

They look bad because they work for a rudderless organization.

Woody is wasting his money and our time by firing them all.  He needs to remove himself and put the team in a blind trust.  Let someone smart figure it out.

Macc and his team know how to scout.   They will grow into the role, here or elsewhere.

Bowles may never be a good coach.   I think there are other bigger issues.  It seems like he is unable to confront the players, and he picked a coaching staff of cronies.  That last one may have been his undoing.   Bowles, Rodgers, Caldwell and Johnson?  Brain Trust?

He definitely needs to hire a top football guy.  Whether a President, a GM or a coach wiho will have control.  It has to be a footbll guy with some cred.

He definitely needs to hire a top football guy.  Whether a President, a GM or a coach wiho will have control.  It has to be a footbll guy with some cred.

Here we go again with the calls to dredge up Holmgren or Gruden or Cowher.

We have that guy here already...Maccagnan. Give him the responsibility and full control and the problems will be solved

4 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

We have that guy here already...Maccagnan. Give him the responsibility and full control and the problems will be solved

Who said anything about Holmgren, Cowher or Gruden?  Are they the only football guys around?  We do not need a personality.  JUst hire a guy to be the President of Football operations.  It does not HAVE ato be a one man job for all three positions.  Just do not hire two guys and fuse them to be Siamerse Twins.  Maybe Macc should be the guy.  Cannot say I love his talent acquisitions so far.  Jyus make someone the guy.  Not Bowles, of course. He has already failed miserably at his chosen course.

4 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Reminder that Woody's consultants (not Macc) hired Bowles.  It's unclear if Macc can fire Bowles.  I'd love to hear a reporter ask Woody that question (does Macc have the authority to fire Bowles).

On 12/25/2016 at 2:13 AM, Gas2No99 said:

Jets’ 41-3 loss to Cheaters brings back memories of Rich Kotite Era 

Gary Myers

FOXBOROUGH – Woody Johnson spared himself the humiliation and aggravation and missed his first game of this dismal season. Todd Bowles should have stayed home, too.

Johnson had family obligations for the holidays. Bowles was cleared by his doctors at 5:30 a.m. Saturday after he said “kidney stones, gallbladder, gall stones, got stuck in the pipe, lot of pain,” put him in the hospital Friday. He boarded a plane and was on the sidelines for the Jets’ 41-3 loss to the Cheaters.

Bowles appeared to be in tremendous pain after the game, but whether that’s because he has yet to pass the stones or the humiliation he incurred watching his team hit rock bottom – it can’t get any worse, right? – is hard to say.

Jets Nation is in even more pain than Bowles. How much more can a fan base endure? Jet fans deserve so much better than this slop. It will be up to Johnson to decide how to assign accountability. It doesn’t appear Bowles is going to lose his job – he does not deserve a third year — but Johnson has proven to be unpredictable and the last person to have his ear could make the biggest impression, especially if Bowles loses to Rex Ryan next week.

GM Mike Maccagnan has accumulated too many players who lack talent, motivation, energy and pride and that was even before they were decimated by injury. They were so pitiful that even the heartless Bill Belichick, who hates the Jets, showed compassion and removed Tom Brady late in the third quarter with a 34-0 lead. The Jets were completely non-competitive.

Muhammad Wilkerson, one of the Jets’ primary underachievers, tried to fire up his teammates before the game with a clichéd “Let’s Win This For Coach” speech.

Either the players tuned out Wilkerson since he has been invisible since signing his $86 million contract, or playing hard for their coach, who cared enough about them to rush to Foxborough for what was clearly going to be a butt-kicking, just didn’t register.

630496914.jpg

Bryce Petty didn't last long, getting knocked out of the game early with a dislocated left shoulder.

(BILLIE WEISS/GETTY IMAGES)

“I spoke to the team before we went out before the game,” Wilkerson said. “He made a business decision to come here and coach the team. I’m pretty sure he didn’t have to. I felt like we should play for each other like we always do, but just play a little harder for coach. We didn’t really know what his illness was. I just tried to give guys motivation to play harder.”

The impact of Wilkerson’s talk: Zero. The Jets were down 10-0 at the end of the first quarter and 27-0 at the half.

There’s been so many low points in Jets history. This is the worst it’s been since — now brace yourself Jets Nation – the Rich Kotite days. He was 4-28 in two seasons including 1-15 in 1996. The Jets’ performance against the Cheaters was classic "Kotitian"at one point in the second half they had four completions and four turnovers for the game.

The Jets finished with eight completions – none by starter Bryce Petty, who dislocated his non-throwing shoulder trying to recover a fumble – and five turnovers.

Losing fractures teams and it’s fractured in at least two spots. Brandon Marshall considers himself the wise old man of the team. Sheldon Richardson is just a knucklehead with a resume to prove it.

Marshall tried to sum up the hopelessness of Saturday’s game. “Embarrassing,” Marshall said. “Just embarrassing.”

myersweb25s-mof-web.jpg

Todd Bowles should have stayed in the hospital instead of torturing himself with this team.

(CHARLES KRUPA/AP)

Richardson, when told of Marshall’s comment, said, “He should be embarrassed.”

Bowles has built quite a brotherhood and team-first attitude. Marshall and Richardson argued in the locker room after a loss in Kansas City earlier this season and apparently have not made peace. Richardson said he respects Marshall personally, not professionally.

In the last three losses, the 4-11 Jets have been outscored by the Colts (41-10), Dolphins (34-13) and Cheaters (41-3) by a combined 116-26.:1cry: “It’s been a struggle this year for us,” Darrelle Revis said. “I struggled this year, but at the same time, as a team overall, we have, too. It goes across the board. Everybody is accountable.

Revis is a prime candidate to either absorb a huge pay cut down to the $6 million he has guaranteed – his base salary is $13 million — or the Jets could just cut him.

Does he think he will be back?

“We’ll see,” he said. “I don’t know what management is going to do.”

630498658.jpg

Charone Peake has a ball thrown out of his reach.

(MADDIE MEYER/GETTY IMAGES)

There is no end in sight to the Jets misery. Ryan Fitzpatrick, who lost his job to both Geno Smith and then Petty, had to come in relief for the third time since his benching following Smith’s torn ACL, Petty getting bent in half by Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Wake last week and then Petty going down in the second quarter against the Cheaters.

Petty was 0-for-3 with an INT when he was injured. Fitz was Fitz: 8-for-21 with two INTs. It seems likely that Christian Hackenberg will finally get a uniform and dress for his first game next week in the long-awaited final game of the season.

Why not just start Hackenberg to get him a feel for the speed of the game? Bowles has made this a redshirt year for the rookie while Dak Prescott, drafted two rounds later, is an MVP candidate. The Jets don’t feel Hackenberg is ready to play, but how can that be? He’s been around since May. Is he that far behind, is he so bad that he can’t get on the field for a meaningless game?

Petty had his chance. He is too brittle. He is also not very good. He is not the future. :(The Jets need to find out if Hackenberg has any chance to be the quarterback in 2017. If he doesn’t, that’s a terrible indictment of Maccagnan’s ability to pick QBs. It looks like Petty, taken in the fourth round in 2015, is a wasted pick. If Hackenberg can’t get on the field next week, how can we look at him as anything but a wasted pick? There’s speculation Maccagnan could use the Jets’ first-round pick, which right now is fifth overall, on a quarterback. I don’t think he should be allowed to keep taking QBs every year until he gets it right.

But that’s up to Johnson, who was smart enough to stay away Saturday. Bowles should have done the same. 

Hackenberg is a wasted pick. Put a team behind Petty and he will be fine. The offensive line has been terrible. Petty is running for his life. Drop passes by Marshall and no TE's has also been a problem. Petty is tough and this was his 4th game. He needs to come back next year with a way better offensive line and with a fullback and tight end. 

Archived