What Jets players have played better than expected this year?

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Gotta be Enunwa. Guy was the best player on the team this year. Show me the person that predicted that one.

I can't believe Enunwa isn't #1 on everyone's list. He went from an afterthought who was at least a willing blocker (but nothing more than that) into a legitimately dangerous receiving weapon. 

Anderson is up there as well, but with Anderson (unlike with Enunwa) there wasn't this sense of him already being "known" to be an underwhelming receiver. 

20 minutes ago, rangerous said:

enunwa, winters, ijalana, qvale, simon, stanford, roberts, miles

I'd count Qvale as a disappointment rather than the other way around after the way the team talked him up in and before the spring. He was only starting because they didn't have anyone decent. Ijalana also underwhelmed for a guy that was taken 49th in the country not long ago. The OLman that impressed (other than one forgettable snap) was Johnson. Mangold went down and we didn't get noticeably worse. If anything, what I've seen are some decent holes up the gut that Powell's burst through.

I know it's an extremely small sample size, but, Brandon Shell. Was solid in his first 2 starts, and playing well again today. Many of Powell's best rushes this afternoon, have been through the right side of our line. Hasn't allowed a sack so far. Seems to have a lot of potential.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'd count Qvale as a disappointment rather than the other way around after the way the team talked him up in and before the spring. He was only starting because they didn't have anyone decent. Ijalana also underwhelmed for a guy that was taken 49th in the country not long ago. The OLman that impressed (other than one forgettable snap) was Johnson. Mangold went down and we didn't get noticeably worse. If anything, what I've seen are some decent holes up the gut that Powell's burst through.

i should've added shell.  as for qvale and ijalana, they can still be very good back-ups.  it took winters 3 seasons and now he's looking pretty good.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i should've added shell.  as for qvale and ijalana, they can still be very good back-ups.  it took winters 3 seasons and now he's looking pretty good.

Shell did fine over the last few weeks. What sucks is it wasn't really a long enough look and I wonder if a GM like Maccagnan will be comfortable naming him the 2017 starting RT by not signing anyone else. He may very well do just that, and if Shell does in fact become a reliable starter it saves a lot of cash and headache. He has enough ?s everywhere except for Carpenter. Even the guys who started to look at least halfway decent (Winters, Wesley) are FAs that would be wise to test the market. Their injury risk is over, so there's no sense in taking less than the top offer, and the way to find the top offer is to see who calls once we're into March.

So if he feels good enough to go with Shell next year, and if he's right, it'll be a huge weight taken off his shoulders. Cross off that need in FA, cross it off in the draft, and if he can get Winters signed and figure whether to go with a cheap Wesley or an overpriced Mangold (fan favorite that he is), he then only needs a LT to complete his OL. Sure LT is a tall order, but he needs a new LT independent of whether or not C-RG-RT were settled, and even better if he can get the latter 3 done with youngsters for about half what the older Mangold was due to make on his own.

I wonder if Mangold has any trade value right now. Only 1 year left on his contract at $9m, and he's not nearly as reliable as he was not so long ago. My guess is nothing, and that MM would turn down any offer because of the optics of trading Nick Mangold for a 7th round pick or something. Matters not if he was going to otherwise get cut anyway, but that's the way so many fans and media writers frame it. They certainly did with Revis in 2013, and with Mo this past offseason.

Archived