What is the Head Coach's Job?

varjet

What do people think the Head Coach should do with his time?

It seems like many successful organizations have their HC act as a CEO of sorts.

His job effectively is directing who plays, motivating players, assembling a staff and setting forth a vision, and most importantly, managing the team successfully from the sideline on Sundays.

Is that what Bowles did in 2016?

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

It seems like many successful organizations have their HC act as a CEO of sorts.

His job effectively is directing who plays, motivating players, assembling a staff and setting forth a vision, and most importantly, managing the team successfully from the sideline on Sundays.

Yes it is. 

Another Bowles sucks thread, yeah. 

I think a HC is a guy who coaches the coaches. He makes the game plan, then lets the OC and DC get with their staff and decide what plays work against the team they are playing next. Then as game day nears his job is to oversee practices and correct mistakes and finally on game day fire the players up to where they would eat their young. Bowles failed in almost every aspect. Spent way too much time trying to coach up Kacy Rogers while ignoring the fact that Gailey was ignoring the run and going pass happy with a turnover prone QB. Against KC he called 10 passes and zero runs when the Jets got inside the red zone, with three ints. Todd Bowles always looked outcoached, and didn't deal with the media very well. Otherwise he did a great job.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes it is. 

Another Bowles sucks thread, yeah. 

Yes another Bowltite sucks thread. Keep them coming! The more, the merrier! I do not think this site can have enough Bowltite sucks threads. I had to sit and stomach 16 weeks of Bowltite incompetence and now will have to endure another possibly winless season next year and yes, I want more anti Bowltite threads.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Was it Edwards Smiths job to keep a boat off the bottom of the ocean?

The biggest difference between really good head coaches, and the mostly dillweeds around the NFL is thinking ahead situationally.

Ever notice how many dillweed coaches on 4th and 2 in opponents territory are always calling Time Outs to "think about it?"

The good coaches already have made their decision with a couple of plays in mind, and often have the QB rushing everyone to get the line to catch the defense off-guard and get the 1st down...or force the defense to call TO.

Deciding whether or not to go for 2 BEFORE you get in the end zone.

Simple things like that.

It's funny, i heard a quote recently by nick saban.  I don't have to actual quote so ill have to paraphrase.  It was something like "most people think a head coaches job is to draw up plays but the actual job of a head coach is getting his players to execute the plays."  If that is true it really is a really bad knock on Bowles but then again he did get them to execute their first year.  This is why i need to see more.

One thing I think that a good HC does is preparing the team - not just getting them fired up to play on game day, but having a mindset throughout the off season, preseason, and every game and practice, of knowing exactly what to do in certain situations. It's what Beli does so well - every player knows exactly what to do, so you seldom see bone headed mistakes. (No-one's perfect, but they just don't screw up as much as anyone else ... when did you last see them called for 12 men on the field, for example?).

Now i'm not saying it's up to Bowles to personally teach the players about rules and situations and expectations, but he can instil this in his co-coordinators and position coaches - play smart. And if they don't, he follows up with a specific "here's what to do next time" - hold them accountable for improving.

One play from last weekend sticks in my mind - the recovered kick off that gave us a cheap 7 points. Did those Bills players not actually know that a kick off is a live ball? Some of them were staying clear as if they had to touch it to make it live (like with a punt). Yet a 3rd string / PS guy like Doug Middleton knew enough to grab that thing and make a play. Just imagine if that had been the other way round, and it was us screwing up that badly.

Another thing is the culture around discipline ... the one thing about Rex that drove me so mad was how sloppy things were - stupid penalties (12 men on the field, anyone?), missed assignments over and over, the same mistakes every week and a promise to "clean that up" - only to see it all again the next week. Again, not something that the HC directly teaches, but he sets the expectation on what is OK and what is not, and holds people accountable. I recall Herm Edwards always having a focus on this, and under him we were one of the best teams in not getting penalties - especially the stupid ones. So far Bowles seems a lot better than Rex, but can still improve quite a bit.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

One thing I think that a good HC does is preparing the team - not just getting them fired up to play on game day, but having a mindset throughout the off season, preseason, and every game and practice, of knowing exactly what to do in certain situations. It's what Beli does so well - every player knows exactly what to do, so you seldom see bone headed mistakes. (No-one's perfect, but they just don't screw up as much as anyone else ... when did you last see them called for 12 men on the field, for example?).

Now i'm not saying it's up to Bowles to personally teach the players about rules and situations and expectations, but he can instil this in his co-coordinators and position coaches - play smart. And if they don't, he follows up with a specific "here's what to do next time" - hold them accountable for improving.

One play from last weekend sticks in my mind - the recovered kick off that gave us a cheap 7 points. Did those Bills players not actually know that a kick off is a live ball? Some of them were staying clear as if they had to touch it to make it live (like with a punt). Yet a 3rd string / PS guy like Doug Middleton knew enough to grab that thing and make a play. Just imagine if that had been the other way round, and it was us screwing up that badly.

Another thing is the culture around discipline ... the one thing about Rex that drove me so mad was how sloppy things were - stupid penalties (12 men on the field, anyone?), missed assignments over and over, the same mistakes every week and a promise to "clean that up" - only to see it all again the next week. Again, not something that the HC directly teaches, but he sets the expectation on what is OK and what is not, and holds people accountable. I recall Herm Edwards always having a focus on this, and under him we were one of the best teams in not getting penalties - especially the stupid ones. So far Bowles seems a lot better than Rex, but can still improve quite a bit.

That kickoff recovered in the endzone was a microcosm of why the NFLs viewership is down. Lousy f*cking football played all over the place. The 2 best coached teams in the NFL right now are the Pats & the Chiefs. 2 well prepared teams every week. 

The Raiders lead the league in penalties, Russell Wilson makes his horrible Oline look OK, Aaron Rogers covers the Packers warts, the Falcons are just out scoring everybody, Miami beat 2 winning teams, 1 without their QB (Big Ben), Detroit has a QB miracle working pulling wins out of his azz (like 7, lol), the Giants are an NFL icon impervious to penalties (OBJ literally trying to maim Norman without penalty), especially in post season play, the Cowboys punching crappy defenses in the face for 60 minutes with the best Oline in football (very 2009/2010 Jet like), Houston (playing in the sh*ttiest division in football), Steelers? Talk about up & down, flip a coin with them (got blown out by the Ravens?).

Fans are just tired of the same ol, same ol sh*t every year. Have QB, have chance, play in a sh*tty division, have a chance, weak schedule, have a chance. I've said it before, I have never turned so many NFL games off as I've done this year. And I was a avid NFL fan for years. I doubt I'm the only one turning the channel. 

16 hours ago, varjet said:

He showed up for work, and coached the games so I think he did his job.

Was his job performance satisfactory? Is that what you are asking?

Archived