Jets missing the boat on CFL players...

Beerfish

There was a list of about 26 CFL players that had work outs scheduled with various NFL teams, none by the Jets.  One guy from the team I follow has already signed with the Dolphins and he is a special teams demon who I think will make it in the NFL. 

Pats worked out a RB from my team called Shakir Bell who might make it among their pass catching RBs.

The Jets should have looked at WR from my team as well.  Derrel Mitchell, a guy I would compare to Jarvis Landry in style (not as good obviously and unproven at this level)  I'd go right out and say he is better than Peake or Marshall right now imo.

I know the usual mantra is to scoff at CFL players but each  year a few of them make it in the NFL after a few years of good football training up here.

Well... I can't speak for this year, but they did grab Freddie Bishop last year and he was a pretty decent contributor the last handful of games this season.

Nothing stellar, but he's a nice piece off the bench who might be able to spot start here and there. 

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There was a list of about 26 CFL players that had work outs scheduled with various NFL teams, none by the Jets.  One guy from the team I follow has already signed with the Dolphins and he is a special teams demon who I think will make it in the NFL. 

Pats worked out a RB from my team called Shakir Bell who might make it among their pass catching RBs.

The Jets should have looked at WR from my team as well.  Derrel Mitchell, a guy I would compare to Jarvis Landry in style (not as good obviously and unproven at this level)  I'd go right out and say he is better than Peake or Marshall right now imo.

I know the usual mantra is to scoff at CFL players but each  year a few of them make it in the NFL after a few years of good football training up here.

Who do you mean?  You're in Edmonton?  I am pretty sure that Derrell Mitchell is retired.  Isn't he like 50?  Do you mean Bowman?  A bunch of people liked him before the draft back when, but he was stone slow (Landry comp?) and got popped for weed right before the draft.  I think he is over 30 though.  They also have Vidal Hazelton, the kid out of Moore on SI who the Jets had a bit back in 2013.

Hits in the CFL seems few and far between, but I do agree that maybe the Jets should at least be poking around...

I think they're focusing a lot on undrafted FAs these days...It gives me faith that they're at least out their scouting!

I saw this story from a few days ago that mentions the Jets taking a look at a kid from Virginia...

Daryl Virgies 

If Adarius bowman could have ever been able to concentrate in an ongoing basis he would have been a star even in the NFL.  He is a beast up here though, still drops too many passes,

Darrel Walker  (might have also mispelled his 1st name.)  Is smooth, gets open and runs good patterns.

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

Hits in the CFL seems few and far between, but I do agree that maybe the Jets should at least be poking around...

I think they're focusing a lot on undrafted FAs these days...It gives me faith that they're at least out their scouting!

I saw this story from a few days ago that mentions the Jets taking a look at a kid from Virginia...

Daryl Virgies 

Not as few and far between as people think and if you get the right guy you can strike gold.

Myself and a few other CFL fans were pleading for the Jets to go after Cam Wake when he was available, got shouted down.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Not as few and far between as people think and if you get the right guy you can strike gold.

Myself and a few other CFL fans were pleading for the Jets to go after Cam Wake when he was available, got shouted down.

Well not a good sign so far if they're really not bringing anyone in for workouts and such... But maybe that's just a later off season project for them at this point. 

I do hope the moderate success with Bishop pushes them to continue looking there though, for sure.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If Adarius bowman could have ever been able to concentrate in an ongoing basis he would have been a star even in the NFL.  He is a beast up here though, still drops too many passes,

Darrel Walker  (might have also mispelled his 1st name.)  Is smooth, gets open and runs good patterns.

Derel Walker?  I didn't remember him.  Had to look him up.  Out of Texas Tech.  Looking at the scouting reports, he is probably kind of slow to get a shot.  A bunch of people here were high on Bowman in that DGB, Colt Lyerla way people get hung up on prospects.  

12 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Daryl Virgies 

Not Virginia, Virginia.  Virginia-Lynchburg.  That is a small school.  The Jets had that fidget CB that supposedly ran in the 4.2s in camp 2015, Keith Lewis.  I think he is out of the league now.  This kid is out of Trenton.  No bites all year?  

Walker is fast enough, his 40 time is one thing that probably made people pass him by but he has enough speed to go deep if necessary.  Just a polished receiver that runs good routes has good hands and gets open.  I think Tennessee has worked him out and they need WRs s we'll see if he does anything or is camp fodder.

Dontrelle Innman who had some good games with the chargers this year is a former CFL WR.

Edmonton has actually been hurt pretty bad the past couple of years with guys going to the NFL, Brett Grymes a DB was on and off phillys psquad all year.  Dexter McCoil was a starter for for San diego at times last year. (Safety LB hybrid)

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who do you mean?  You're in Edmonton?  I am pretty sure that Derrell Mitchell is retired.  Isn't he like 50?  Do you mean Bowman?  A bunch of people liked him before the draft back when, but he was stone slow (Landry comp?) and got popped for weed right before the draft.  I think he is over 30 though.  They also have Vidal Hazelton, the kid out of Moore on SI who the Jets had a bit back in 2013.

How do you know this stuff? lol...

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That would have been me as one of those CFL fans....:)

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I was not on the bishop bandwagon when we signed him, he did hang around though and I thought he'd just get cut so maybe there is something there.

Bishop is just further proof of how badly off Idzik left us.  Bishop doesn't belong on most 53 man rosters. (sigh) 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

How do you know this stuff? lol...

I am old, I played and coached with a bunch of guys.  One of my coaches was Canadian and a bunch of guys would go from league to league - US, Italy, Canada, France, Switzerland.  I also have the internet.  I look stuff up!  Mitchell is in the CFL HOF and I knew he was from Edmonton.  I checked their roster and remembered Bowman and Hazelton.  They are both probably too old to consider and I didn't know the Walker guy that Beerfish was touting, so I looked up his draft profile.  The internet makes refreshing your recollection super easy.  I used to have to wait to visit my uncle upstate and comb through his Buschbaum and Kiper draft guides. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am old, I played and coached with a bunch of guys.  One of my coaches was Canadian and a bunch of guys would go from league to league - US, Italy, Canada, France, Switzerland.  I also have the internet.  I look stuff up!  Mitchell is in the CFL HOF and I knew he was from Edmonton.  I checked their roster and remembered Bowman and Hazelton.  They are both probably too old to consider and I didn't know the Walker guy that Beerfish was touting, so I looked up his draft profile.  The internet makes refreshing your recollection super easy.  I used to have to wait to visit my uncle upstate and comb through his Buschbaum and Kiper draft guides. 

Thank you for the update 128.

:)

Archived