the failure at TE

kmnj

Jets have had ZERO production out of the TE for several years now-the majority of all winning teams have had good to excellent production from the TE position-some teams actually even get production out of two tight ends or have a solid back up in case the starter goes down. This has been a monster failure from our last gm and our current gm and come to think of it we have bombed on TE for years going all the way back to Kyle Brady.  I get it that it is hard to find an elite qb but come on we cant even find a decent te in the draft or on the FA market?

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Jets have had ZERO production out of the TE for several years now-the majority of all winning teams have had good to excellent production from the TE position-some teams actually even get production out of two tight ends or have a solid back up in case the starter goes down. This has been a monster failure from our last gm and our current gm and come to think of it we have bombed on TE for years going all the way back to Kyle Brady.  I get it that it is hard to find an elite qb but come on we cant even find a decent te in the draft or on the FA market?

I think ASJ is ok for the moment. We began to get production from the TE towards the end of the season

the te was there to block first.  just about every jet team since the 80's hasn't had a pass catching te so what else is new.  and with receivers as big as marshall, enunwa and decker it's hard to see where a te would give the team that much additional advantage over the strong safeties or even lb's.  asj does seem to have decent hands and if he can be an effective blocker then he should be kept.

Just now, rangerous said:

the te was there to block first.  just about every jet team since the 80's hasn't had a pass catching te so what else is new.  and with receivers as big as marshall, enunwa and decker it's hard to see where a te would give the team that much additional advantage over the strong safeties or even lb's.  asj does seem to have decent hands and if he can be an effective blocker then he should be kept.

I think you're missing a point: you shouldn't NEED a TE to be a primary blocker. And, of course, if your arm is not strong or accurate throwing to a receiver attacking the middle of the field is not your best option.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

many teams with big wrs use the tight end very well -your statement makes no sense

12 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think you're missing a point: you shouldn't NEED a TE to be a primary blocker. And, of course, if your arm is not strong or accurate throwing to a receiver attacking the middle of the field is not your best option.

not missing the point at all.  are you saying fitz couldn't throw hard enough about 20 yards to the center of the field?  i beg to differ.  he had both enunwa and decker attacking the middle of the field and was pretty successful on those throws.  the only jet qb who used effectively was favre.  it's not the end of the world to not having a pass catching te when you have the big receiver groups. 

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

i think our tight end production is a little skewed since Gailey was using Enunwa as a move tight end / h back.

Enunwa is essentially our TE. Looking at it that way, we actually had a productive season from the position.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not missing the point at all.  are you saying fitz couldn't throw hard enough about 20 yards to the center of the field?  i beg to differ.  he had both enunwa and decker attacking the middle of the field and was pretty successful on those throws.  the only jet qb who used effectively was favre.  it's not the end of the world to not having a pass catching te when you have the big receiver groups. 

You have to account for the TE defensively.  This is what Gailey didn't consider.  If you have a TE on the field, he's either a blocker or receiver. The DC has to account for him as a receiver every play.  If you have one that can block and catch, you create matchup problems.  TE's have historically killed the Jets, you'd think we'd take a cue from that.  Quincy and Decker aren't sound replacements for that position, as neither is a help in the run game--and each is going to be split out or in the slot--meaning they're not the LB's responsibility but the DB's.  So Gailey basically has been simplifying opponents' coverage schemes for them the last two years. 

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

You definitely missed the point about not needing a TE to be a primary blocker. I'll stand by my statement about not having the arm to effectively use a seam route attacking TE. But you are free to keep yours because I'm not going to research it enough.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

You definitely missed the point about not needing a TE to be a primary blocker. I'll stand by my statement about not having the arm to effectively use a seam route attacking TE. But you are free to keep yours because I'm not going to research it enough.

huh???  whatever.

58 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Anyone else take pleasure in watching Mulligan catch a 4th down pass for negative 2 yards? It was like we were in the playoffs. 

Catch and Mulligan is a rare combo indeed.  That guy usually had more false start and holding penalties in a year than he had catches for us.

Lots of calls for a TE lately.  It is a big part of an offense these days, clearly.  Especially in the RZ.

But have Jets fans forgotten Johnny Mitchell?  Kyle Brady? Anthony Becht? Dustin Keller? Jace Amaro?

A few around here wanted Ebron if I recall?

The Jets wouldn't know a tight end if Jessica Biel was wearing butt floss in the war room.

Forget about ASJ.  Can't learn a play book, and a bad attitude to boot.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Don't worry, we will draft a Tight End with the 6th pick and convert him to FB and then bring in OC that doesn't use a FB in their offense and cut him. 

Yes, but adding a little bit of feasibility to this prediction, more like trade down from #6 to #10-15 or something and then take a TE in rd 1. Or stay at #6 & take a FS. Lol. 

I think the failure of the Jets TE position is basically one of the two reasons why Chan Gailey is not returning.  The other his lack of commitment to develop the young QBs.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 thoughts on the TE position:

1)

I think the failure of the Jets TE position is basically one of the two reasons why Chan Gailey is not returning.  The other his lack of commitment to develop the young QBs.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 thoughts on the TE position:

1)  As athletes get bigger, faster, stronger, and for a variety of reasons DBs will not get too big, a big fast basketball like guy seems to be a logical player to put on a football field.

2)  The smartest team in the NFL are the Cheaters.  They basically are fully committed to the TE.  They dedicate more resources to the TE than any other team.  So why the Jets would basically ignore a position that the Cheaters fully commit to is completely mind-boggling.

Archived