How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Chad is also a cautionary tale of sitting a rookie QB too long that the team doesn't get an adequate gauge in order to determine long-term signing.

Because Chad sat for 2 years, when he played well in those 8 games in 2002, he had Bradway over a barrel in 2003 to extend him.  Jets only had over a season to judge and blinked and gave Chad the richest contract in franchise history at the time.  BTW, Chad received all $60 million of that contract Bradway game him.

This is something to keep in the back of your mind when dealing with Hackenberg.  Sit him too long and when he does play, the Jets won't have enough to base a determination whether to extend him or not and at what price.

if Chad doesn't tear his rotator cuff in 204 his contract is a bargain.  

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Chad Pennington was a terrible player, no contract would have been any bargain.

Chad was a coward who cared so much more about his completion percentage than he did winning actual football games that he took needless sacks and never threw a high risk ball.  Take Alex Smith, cut off his balls, you have Chad Pennington.

SAR I

13 hours ago, adb280z said:

Pennington = Alex Smith

Good enough to think your team is good, not good enough for you to actually win anything that matters.

Except, you know, Alex Smith stays healthy and is mobile, and had his team a fumbled punt away from going to a Super Bowl.  (yeah, that team was all D)

Had a nice nights sleep..  Great start to my morning with a delicious cup of Brazilian coffee.  Just had a nice plate of slide smoked BBQ brisket with some fancy sides of collard greens, cornbread souffle and cucumber tomato salad.  All these things helped me reflect upon this thread, 

Still not missing Chadwick Pennington. 

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Chad Pennington was a terrible player, no contract would have been any bargain.

Chad was a coward who cared so much more about his completion percentage than he did winning actual football games that he took needless sacks and never threw a high risk ball.  Take Alex Smith, cut off his balls, you have Chad Pennington.

SAR I

aaron rodgers takes needless sacks to preserve his comp % too.

Chad was a top 2 QB in 2002, injuries derailed his career.  it's typical Jets luck.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Had a nice nights sleep..  Great start to my morning with a delicious cup of Brazilian coffee.  Just had a nice plate of slide smoked BBQ brisket with some fancy sides of collard greens, cornbread souffle and cucumber tomato salad.  All these things helped me reflect upon this thread, 

Still not missing Chadwick Pennington. 

how come Jet fans don't like to win?  it's very odd

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

how come Jet fans don't like to win?  it's very odd

It's a good question.  I thought about it.  And then I thought, jeez, does this change my opinion of wishing we still had Chadwick Pennington?

And, no.  It does not. 

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

aaron rodgers takes needless sacks to preserve his comp % too.

Chad was a top 2 QB in 2002, injuries derailed his career.  it's typical Jets luck.

You and I agree on many things, Chad is not one of them.

While Chad '02 looked exciting, the reality is that injuries were a part of his DNA, it's who he was, he simply was not durable enough to be an NFL quarterback.  If Sanchez was defined as a turnover machine, if Favre was defined as a disinterested carpetbagger, if O'Donnell was defined as a one-hit-wonder, then Chad is defined as an injury-prone glass statue. 

Point being, you can't use injuries as an excuse for Chad; injuries are Chad.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You and I agree on many things, Chad is not one of them.

While Chad '02 looked exciting, the reality is that injuries were a part of his DNA, it's who he was, he simply was not durable enough to be an NFL quarterback.  If Sanchez was defined as a turnover machine, if Favre was defined as a disinterested carpetbagger, if O'Donnell was defined as a one-hit-wonder, then Chad is defined as an injury-prone glass statue. 

Point being, you can't use injuries as an excuse for Chad; injuries are Chad.

SAR I

I understand, his downfall was his body was not built for NFL football.

Chad was injury prone but unlike those other guys he helped us win a lot of games.

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I wonder if Bears fans wax poetic about Rex Grossman...

He brought them all the way to the Super Bowl, so he has to be a first ballot HOF lock, right?  That damn Bears defense ruined it all by not holding onto that lead he gave them.  I mean, he should be pretty much credited as having a ring and being Super Bowl MVP, right?  After all, I think it's been pretty well established the credit deserved by QBs when a team they are on nearly does something, regardless of their own performances.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

He brought them all the way to the Super Bowl, so he has to be a first ballot HOF lock, right?  That damn Bears defense ruined it all by not holding onto that lead he gave them.  I mean, he should be pretty much credited as having a ring and being Super Bowl MVP, right?  After all, I think it's been pretty well established the credit deserved by QBs when a team they are on nearly does something, regardless of their own performances.

rex grossman helped Chicago reach one postseason(the other year orton was QB but they started grossman in playoff loss).  to compare him and Chad just shows the type of fanbase we have and why we deserve what happened in 2016.

37 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

I miss him because of the epic threads generated from his noodle arm and sh*tting bricks under pressure.  Worst QB ever, but man he had some man-champions here who would defend their lover to the ends of the earth.

8th place trophy babies LOVE that Chaddy cakes.  

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

rex grossman helped Chicago reach one postseason(the other year orton was QB but they started grossman in playoff loss).  to compare him and Chad just shows the type of fanbase we have and why we deserve what happened in 2016.

Yet Grossman still has the better playoff record of the two.  Weird, huh?

5 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Hey junc, let me see if I have this straight... most of us on he want a true franchise quarterback who will put us in Super Bowl contention for a decade or so but we have low standards and are sh*tty fans who don't care about winning because we recognize Chad Pennington's mediocrity?

we all want a franchise QB that will lead us to SBs but they are hard to find.  it's sad that a fanbase that has experienced so little winning cannot appreciate players and coached that helped us win.  what is even worse is people think more highly of Brett favre who was a hired gun for one year and sabotaged a real SB chance than they do for Chad or sanchez- 2 guys that won playoff games.  it's why we deserve what we get

Just now, nyjunc said:

we all want a franchise QB that will lead us to SBs but they are hard to find.  it's sad that a fanbase that has experienced so little winning cannot appreciate players and coached that helped us win.  what is even worse is people think more highly of Brett favre who was a hired gun for one year and sabotaged a real SB chance than they do for Chad or sanchez- 2 guys that won playoff games.  it's why we deserve what we get

There is so much insanity here I don't know where to start. 

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

So somehow by wanting the team to do better and have higher expectations we are dragging it down somehow?

No, we all want the team to do better but you bash everyone associated w/ the team. you think you are owed something.

Just now, nyjunc said:

No, we all want the team to do better but you bash everyone associated w/ the team. you think you are owed something.

No. You think we didn't enjoy those wins when they happened? I sure did. I know JiF did because we watched a lot of those games together. 

I can also speak for him and EY when I say that the day Brett Favre debuted for the Jets was the most exciting days the three of us had as Jets fans in a long time even though it was brutally and oppressively hot. 

Nobody thinks they are owed anything. We just understand the reality of the situation. Pennington was not a very good QB and especially toward the end he was depressing to watch. 

Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the QBs who have shown the greatness of making it to the divisional round of the playoffs, and while of course there is talent, I also got some pretty good laughs out of it, too.  Here's a list of those who made it during Pennington's career.  In red are the only ones who never made it further than the divisional round at any point in their careers.  That's some great company, huh?  Even more interesting when you see some of the folks on this list who actually did make it further than that.

Daunte Culpepper
Aaron Brooks
Jay Fielder

Rich Gannon
Trent Dilfer
Steve McNair
Kerry Collins
Donovan McNabb
Jim Miller
Tom Brady
Elvis Grbac
Kordell Stewart
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Tommy Maddox
Mike Vick
Brad Johnson
Jeff Garcia
Peyton Manning
Chad Pennington
Marc Bulger

Jake Delhomme
Trent Green
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Hasselbeck
Mark Brunell
Jake Plummer
Rex Grossman
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
David Garrard
Tony Romo

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Out of curiosity, I decided to take a look at the QBs who have shown the greatness of making it to the divisional round of the playoffs, and while of course there is talent, I also got some pretty good laughs out of it, too.  Here's a list of those who made it during Pennington's career.  In red are the only ones who never made it further than the divisional round at any point in their careers.  That's some great company, huh?  Even more interesting when you see some of the folks on this list who actually did make it further than that.

Daunte Culpepper
Aaron Brooks
Jay Fielder

Rich Gannon
Trent Dilfer
Steve McNair
Kerry Collins
Donovan McNabb
Jim Miller
Tom Brady
Elvis Grbac
Kordell Stewart
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner
Tommy Maddox
Mike Vick
Brad Johnson
Jeff Garcia
Peyton Manning
Chad Pennington
Marc Bulger

Jake Delhomme
Trent Green
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Hasselbeck
Mark Brunell
Jake Plummer
Rex Grossman
Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
David Garrard
Tony Romo

Eli Manning
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez
Aaron Rodgers
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler

I am sure the situations were exactly the same.

Brooks won ONE playoff game

Fiedler won ONE playoff game

jim MIller never won a playoff start

Elvis Grbac won ONE playoff start(he inherited a SB champion too)

Maddox had ONE playoff win

Bulger had ONE playoff win

Garrad ONE playoff win

Romo has 2 both at home

I don't know what your point is though, how many of those guys had to deal w/ the tom Brady dynasty? and became the ONLY QB to win AFC east titles not named Brady in the Brady era.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Garrad ONE playoff win

Romo has 2 both at home

I don't know what your point is though, how many of those guys had to deal w/ the tom Brady dynasty? and became the ONLY QB to win AFC east titles not named Brady in the Brady era.

As we all know, the most important measure of a QB is winning a tiebreaker for the AFCE early in Tom Brady's career, and winning the division when Tom Brady was injured and as was Brett Favre.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

As we all know, the most important measure of a QB is winning a tiebreaker for the AFCE early in Tom Brady's career, and winning the division when Tom Brady was injured and as was Brett Favre.

ah now you will try to take away from one of our only 2 all time AFC East titles and won that was won against the Brady's.  If we don't go into foxboro week 16 and whip the Pats they win the division again.  by the way, NE wouldn't lose at home again until 3 seasons later but Chad sucks.

Favre gets no injury excuse, w/ a torn rotator cuff Chad led us to the doorstep of the title game, w? no Brady around Favre couldn't even lead us to the WC.

On 1/19/2017 at 1:01 AM, T0mShane said:

How much do u guys miss Suipeli Malamala let's hear it for the boy come on

I'll see you one Malamala and raise you one Dwayne White.  It is practically impossible to have too many Dwayne's on a teAM.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Garrad ONE playoff win

Romo has 2 both at home

The point is that they are not very good QBs and having played, and lost, in the divisional round does not make one a QB good.  You seem to agree, which is nice to see.

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Actually, the Raiders totally exposed Chad in the 2002 divisional playoff game, crowding receivers and daring him to throw.  Chad completely crapped the bed as a result, with a healthy arm.  His arm injuries only hastened his demise.  

Coordinators managed Chad's physical limitations as best they could, even going to the "Wildcat" in Miami to mask it.  Chad's contract was never going to be a bargain.

Archived