Report: Jets Show Interest in OT Russell Okung

JetNation

Okung.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

In dire need of a proven left tackle to protect the blind side of whoever may be under center for the Jets in 2017, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is reporting that the Jets are among those teams checking in with recently released left tackle Russell Okung.

A durable seven 7-year veteran who has suited up for the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos, Okung was recently cut loose by the Broncos who weren’t interested in doubling his 2016 salary of $5 million, to $11.5 million next season.

Without a proven left tackle on the roster and having recently cut ties with last season’s acquisition, Ryan Clady, Okung makes sense for Gang Green if he doesn’t break the bank.  That could be an issue however, as a weak free agency and draft class will give Okung plenty of leverage in negotiations with those teams interested in his services.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
o-n1rVqlbno

Click here to read the full story...

I prefer Beachum who I think is in the exact same situation as Wilkerson .  Last year, both these players were coming back from lower body injuries and it showed on the field with their lack of lower body strength as anchors . Players coming back from these type of injuries usually are better in the 2nd year they return and I think both players are going to rebound .  Jets could get Beachum cheaper because of what he displayed last yr .

31 minutes ago, JetNation said:

In dire need of a proven left tackle to protect the blind side of whoever may be under center for the Jets in 2017, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports is reporting that the Jets are among those teams checking in with recently released left tackle Russell Okung.

Hey Glenn, what if we get a left handed QB?

With Pass Rushers C.Jones, M.Ingram and J.Collins no longer options as FA additions, the two positions the Jets NEED to address in FA (assuming Revis and/or Skrine get cut, which they should) is LT and CB. 

They will have to invest substantial $$$ in both positions. If they get Okung at approx. 8-10mil a year on a 3-4yr deal, I'm fine with that. I know that's a lot. But any reliable starting LT will cost just as much and the Jets NEED one, regardless of who they get in the draft.

As far as CB, it seems like the options a little better and younger. T.Johnson, S.Gilmore, Bouye, would all be good options, even though they will cost a lot (I prefer T.Johnson- they should go hard after him). But even the second tier FA CBs are solid.

Take care of those two position before the draft so you are not relying on a rookie CB or OT to step in and start.  

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

With Pass Rushers C.Jones, M.Ingram and J.Collins no longer options as FA additions, the two positions the Jets NEED to address in FA (assuming Revis and/or Skrine get cut, which they should) is LT and CB. 

They will have to invest substantial $$$ in both positions. If they get Okung at approx. 8-10mil a year on a 3-4yr deal, I'm fine with that. I know that's a lot. But any reliable starting LT will cost just as much and the Jets NEED one, regardless of who they get in the draft.

As far as CB, it seems like the options a little better and younger. T.Johnson, S.Gilmore, Bouye, would all be good options, even though they will cost a lot (I prefer T.Johnson- they should go hard after him). But even the second tier FA CBs are solid.

Take care of those two position before the draft so you are not relying on a rookie CB or OT to step in and start.  

Not a chance in Hades . The Jets gave Winters a contract averaging 8 mil. It's going to take 15 mil per to sign this cat .

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I prefer Beachum who I think is in the exact same situation as Wilkerson .  Last year, both these players were coming back from lower body injuries and it showed on the field with their lack of lower body strength as anchors . Players coming back from these type of injuries usually are better in the 2nd year they return and I think both players are going to rebound .  Jets could get Beachum cheaper because of what he displayed last yr .

I dunno. He is a riskier option. Beachum was a 7th round pick in 2012. Didn't really do much in the NFL until a breakout season in 2014. Got hurt in 2015 (torn ACL) so only played half a season. Had a bad year in 2016. So he just has not proven much to me. Maybe 2016 was an outlier, maybe not.  

I know Okung has had some injury issues in the past as well. But his play, when healthy, has been good. And he has not had injury issue since 2013.    

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Horrible Comparison.. Wilkerson has years of great play to believe he could bounce back .. 

Beachum has had 1 decent season in his entire career to date .. 

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Not a chance in Hades . The Jets gave Winters a contract averaging 8 mil. It's going to take 15 mil per to sign this cat .

How do you figure that? 

"Russell Okung signed a 5 year, $53,000,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including an average annual salary of $10,600,000. In 2017, Okung will earn a base salary of $2,000,000, a roster bonus of $9,500,000 and a signing bonus of $1,000,000. Okung has a cap hit of $11,700,000."- Spotrac

I mean, it's very much possible he will cost 15mil. But maybe not.  

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

FWIW...PFF grades for top three free agent OT's last offseason

Russell Okung 73.5

Ryan Clady 47.2

Kelvin Beachum 44.3

To be fair, everyone looks good when compared to Clady...

Seriously, we HAVE to get Okung. Whether we are playing for this year or next year this team needs a stable LT. Okung would be that and this isn't a great draft for tackles. Plus I really want to keep him away from the Giants. 

53 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Horrible Comparison.. Wilkerson has years of great play to believe he could bounce back .. 

Wilkerson was also a 1st round pick while Beachum was an after thought .   The Kid developed his game, and just as he was about to come into his own, he suffered the injury . Last yr was his 1st yr back, and that was where I drew the comparison .  I'm going to go take a look at his 1st 2 games last year and his last 2 and let you know what I find .

I couldn't watch anymore, because his man spent a lot of time in the face of the QB . He wasn't that bad thou and I think he will get stronger

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

To be fair, everyone looks good when compared to Clady...

Seriously, we HAVE to get Okung. Whether we are playing for this year or next year this team needs a stable LT. Okung would be that and this isn't a great draft for tackles. Plus I really want to keep him away from the Giants. 

Based on those three rankings, not Beachum

55 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I could be wrong but I think Tin was making the comparison based on the injuries and taking a full year to get back to their playing self..

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I could be wrong but I think Tin was making the comparison based on the injuries and taking a full year to get back to their playing self..

It's still not a fair Assessment imo.. which player would u give the benefit of the doubt too right now ? 

Mo has a proven track record . In this case  I'm more willing to believe his injury affected his game more than Bechum who has who has very small sample size of high level of play .. he could easily be Wayne Hunter just as he could be a player on the rise . Just saying tho 

13 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

It's still not a fair Assessment imo.. which player would u give the benefit of the doubt too right now ? 

Mo has a proven track record . In this case  I'm more willing to believe his injury affected his game more than Bechum who has who has very small sample size of high level of play .. he could easily be Wayne Hunter just as he could be a player on the rise . Just saying tho 

think you are missing the point. no biggie

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

think you are missing the point. no biggie

I didn't miss anything . His point was they both suffered lower body injuries and had down years and will rebound .. My point is Mo is actually high level player I expect him to rebound back to that Kinda player.. What exactly  is bechum gonna rebound too cause he was never high level player .. 

so besides the lower body injury where is the comparison ? They aren't the same caliber of player ..

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Okung exemplifies the problem with cutting guys to free up space: their replacements will probably be at least, if not more expensive. Okung is a good LT, but the guy wants at least $10m. That's more than the space we freed up by letting Mangold and Clady go. Not so sure about this one but we definitely need a T

Archived